Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The forgotten character

OP Mantis1One

These little guys were present in Halo 2, but have since disappeared from following Halo releases.
Whatever happened to "Drones", Insectoid in origin and always present en masse giving you
a real challenge to defend against. What if they evolved over time as well. They could become a
real nightmare to any who face them.
They didn't disappear after H2. They were around in H3 and ODST as well. I would be very happy to see them return though. They can get annoying, but I can't deny that they add a level of complexity when they're in the level. at work, we use a term called 540 coverage. Instead of the simple 360 degrees of coverage on the lateral plane, you have to incorporate the additional 180 degrees along the vertical plane when clearing an area. The drones force you to consider that vertical plane since they can fly while the rest of the enemies can only walk.
They didn't disappear after H2. They were around in H3 and ODST as well. I would be very happy to see them return though. They can get annoying, but I can't deny that they add a level of complexity when they're in the level. at work, we use a term called 540 coverage. Instead of the simple 360 degrees of coverage on the lateral plane, you have to incorporate the additional 180 degrees along the vertical plane when clearing an area. The drones force you to consider that vertical plane since they can fly while the rest of the enemies can only walk.
They would add fun to those unexpected quick battles at the times when you need see them the least.
Drones and Brutes are severely missed when it comes to fighting the covenant. Drones added vertical aspects to fights, and had erratic flight patterns that made them a lot different from standard covenant troops. They could also be used in a sort of horror aspect. Along with Hunters, they were also unique due to their social structures, being insects.
I think they were mentioned in some of the novels. Can't remember which one it was exactly. I think they were enslaved to serve the covenant because their queen or w/e was held hostage. After the covenant split up, they got their 'mother / queen' with no reason to fight they left.
What I'm saying is that if they return, they might not be our enemies, but in fact allies.
Mantis1One wrote:
They would add fun to those unexpected quick battles at the times when you need see them the least.
Exactly. They also force you to explore the sandbox a bit more. Instead of walking around with two precision weapons, or a pistol and a DMR for instance, you have to explore short range options with automatic fire capabilities.
343 can keep drones out of Halo and I'll be happy. I hated those little f**kers in Halo 2, 3, and ODST.
Drones were pretty annoying to fight on the higher difficulties in 2, 3, and ODST- There seemed to be either way too many of them or not enough to be worth fighting. I may be misremembering here, but didn't they briefly appear in "Pillar of Autumn" during the Reach campaign as well?

The idea of them wasn't bad. Much of what HappyPlace alludes to with the intention of their design was directly reapplied to the gameplay design of Promethian Crawlers and Watchers for Halo 4-which still didn't do the basic concept perfect justice, but felt a little more interesting than the drones were at least to me.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Yanme'e back again in Infinite or at some other point in the future, but I think they could do with a bit of redesigning. If they posed a larger threat individually, for example, they wouldn't have to swarm so many of them at the player at once like in that section of "Crow's Nest" in Halo 3.
Can't complain about added enemy variety as long as it makes sense
They were also featured in Halo: reach in the missions 'new alexandria' and 'pillar of autumn'. After that 343 took over halo and they stopped being featured in the games.
I agree that drones are forgotten character but engineers even more so! Heck, Even Jun is! I would love for him to be in Halo infinite.
Because Jul M'Dama's Covenant lost quite a bit of following from the original Covenant forces. Brutes split off to either return to their homeworlds or join the Banished (or even just form raiding parties). Hunters, Jackals, Grunts, and obviously Elites are still there, but Engineers are not and neither are the Drones. Not all of the species brought into the Covenant did so willingly, so any wanting to leave that could, would. So it's possible the Drones just wanted to go home.

I honestly don't know what really happened to them, this is just speculation. But there is likely a reason why they weren't brought in.
For me, the Drones were annoying but challenging too. You need much more awareness in terms of enemy encounters. I really get annoyed when you think you killed them all but one starts shooting at you from nowhere and you get that release of "sigh" after killing that one.
The Yanme'e (Drones) were in Halo: Reach, Halo 2, Halo 3: ODST, Halo 3, Halo: Fireteam Raven and Halo: Spartan Assault. They may have been in Halo: Spartan Strike but I didn't play enough to remember.
If they return then they might pose an annoying challenge once again