Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

[Locked] The Future of Infinite

OP Sev808

Has it ever made you think of what could be happening with the game? 343 has lost it's second creative director in the project, it's got me wondering, with all the controversy surrounding past games with slot machine mechanics, highly questionable writing decisions, marketing mishaps and misleads, etc... I for one am really concerned. Of course I always hope for the best but the current track record isn't all that great. What are your thoughts? Keep it civil, no need for verbal shivs.
Don't read too much into Chris Lee's departure, it was more of a transition so Jason Staten could take the helm, but the fact we are being drip fed infinite news through promotional partnerships is just depressing, especially since the news coming out of them is concerning, I've gone from cautiously optimistic to just pessimistic.
I am extremely concerned but have faith we'll get a fun MP. How will monetization be? Bad probably. But at least I'll hopefully have a fun arena game to play again.
Vohark wrote:
Don't read too much into Chris Lee's departure, it was more of a transition so Jason Staten could take the helm, but the fact we are being drip fed infinite news through promotional partnerships is just depressing, especially since the news coming out of them is concerning, I've gone from cautiously optimistic to just pessimistic.
I've been keeping my distance from this company and the news they spit out, I care about Halo, the story, I loved the story, 1-4 were just a fun ride, then Halo 5 happened, and some idiot decided, oh, let's create this incredibly amazing marketing plan for Halo 5's story, then release a extremely underwhelming campaign product, oh, and if anyone had forgotten, all the marketing had nothing to do with the game itself. Essentially false advertising, if one were to be extreme in the accusation. I do not trust anything 343 puts out, I want to see the finished product, I will not buy this game Day 1, If they come back with that slot machine junk again, I won't even buy the game, and 343 will just be a runner up with EA.
Sev808 wrote:
Vohark wrote:
I've been keeping my distance from this company and the news they spit out, I care about Halo, the story, I loved the story, 1-4 were just a fun ride, then Halo 5 happened, and some idiot decided, oh, let's create this incredibly amazing marketing plan for Halo 5's story, then release a extremely underwhelming campaign product, oh, and if anyone had forgotten, all the marketing had nothing to do with the game itself. Essentially false advertising, if one were to be extreme in the accusation. I do not trust anything 343 puts out, I want to see the finished product, I will not buy this game Day 1, If they come back with that slot machine junk again, I won't even buy the game, and 343 will just be a runner up with EA.
There's a very slim difference between false advertising and burying the lead. The Cortana aspect was supposed to be a surprise, so they had to work around that. Unfortunately, the production they put into the mislead ended up being received much better than the actual campaign.

I don't think it was done in a malicious way. Just had an unfortunate turnout. Really unfortunate.
We got Joseph Staten helping out with the new Halo title. Everything should run smoothly for campaign, for now.
My thoughts:

At this point it is a severely mishandled mishmash of different desires of higher ups.
So, i343 does not have a good track record, in almost any of its areas, Infinite is in on its fifth development years, nearing its sixth, and the result we saw was at E3, which got such a lukewarm reception that it, a supposed launch title, was delayed until further notice. I have a real hard time believing that Covid cased that much hassle for i343, that the E3 demo was in the state it was in, because remember, five years of development.

Then we have the free-to-play multiplayer, the monetization that entails and the so called "10 year plan".
For some reason, it feels as if everything i343 has put on the table, is something we've seen before, just that i343 is extremely late to the party.
Multiplayer being free most likely mean heavy monetization, and I do think we can count on battlepasses, probably time limited as well because why wouldn't they? As well as direct purchases of a majority of the better looking ski... I mean "Coats", and other items they have cooked up for us to purchase, for example, but not limited to:
-Spartan Voices
-Announcer Voices
-Visor colors
-Stances
-Assassinations
-Entrance animation
-Exit animation
-Portraits
-Emblems
-XP boosts
-Currency boosts
The ten year plan then? I'd be extremely surprised if the even have a five year plan, let alone a method to actually keep that time table. Of course, in terms of content that is not meant for microtransactions, but gameplay content like new maps, weapons, campaign and whatever other mode they've come up with.
It's not a good sign when the developer / publisher decided that the game is good enough to last ten years, when few actually have been that popular. Not even Bungie had Destiny 1 last that long, did Anthem even last more than a month? Looking at the games available which have lasted that long, if not even longer, they're old, Counter Strike is double that, with the last game being 8 years old, the LoL and DotA series have their roots in the last millennium, and both games have enjoyed on their own many years of success.

They've shown 8 minutes of gameplay, released info on Ski.. Coats, with a indefinite delay of the game, and they've touted that the game will last ten years.
It's PR, it's marketing, it's an empty, hollow promise, based on literally nothing at this point. They don't have the track record or credibility in my opinion to even be allowed to make such statements, on that little material.
Microsoft / i343 sees something that makes money and they shoehorn it into Halo.
CoD made money, result, Halo 4.
Loot boxes made money, result, Halo 5 loo.. I mean, REQ Packs and Warzone
Card games make money, result, Halo Wars 2 Blitz mode.
Battlepasses make money, result, experiment with them in MCC.
Free-to-Play games with microtransactions make money, well we will see what Halo Infinite with its free-to-play multiplayer, MCC Battlepass experimentation and ski.. Coats will result in. I do not have high hopes for that, at all.

This whole package to me looks like a desperate flailing of arms by someone desperate out of fashion person who desperately grabbing what they can to try to keep up with what was popular, in order to maybe be popular.
Although I have my concerns regarding the departure of Chris Lee. I am really curious about
their 10 year plan for Infinite.
There is already a thread for this