Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The Hydra

OP Spam8358

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
What do you guys think of the new design?

What do you think of the hydra and it’s return?

Would you change anything about it’s function or role from H5? And in that case what?
I'm glad it is returning. It took awhile for me to appreciate the level of skill it took to use the weapon effectively.
However, I'm not a fan of the redesign for Infinite. The silhouette looks to much like what an AR would look like. The top end part of the gun being angled is my biggest displeasure.

The Hydra has a easy to distinguish ascetic which is the rounded missile chamber. But on the new design it looks less prominent. Also it being all one solid color (even the stock variety) doesn't help it. The original had the teal/white stripe near the scope.

All in all, I'm glad its back, hope it still has a similar function. Not liking the new design...looks more like a new gen AR.
Disappointed

343 brought back an unfun and badly designed weapon for the initial launch of the game, the new design is fine enough. Always hated it and always will, considering the skill cap revolves around zooming and firing and letting the rockets do all the work for a free kill ( on open maps with little cover: AKA most H5 maps )
I think it looks fantastic. I like this design way more than H5's. It looks more Halo-y. I liked it's functionality in H5 I don't think I'd change it too much.
Disappointed

343 brought back an unfun and badly designed weapon for the initial launch of the game, the new design is fine enough. Always hated it and always will, considering the skill cap revolves around zooming and firing and letting the rockets do all the work for a free kill ( on open maps with little cover: AKA most H5 maps )
Unfun and badly designed are both subjective. But then again, you stated yourself that you've always hated it, and always will, so trying to have any reasonable discussion with you would be utterly pointless, as it seems you're just here to complain.

(By the by, while Halo 5 was a subpar Halo game, the maps definitely didn't lack in cover, so I'm not sure where you pulled that out of.)
The design looks like something that would belong in Halo, rather than the bulbous olive/red/teal/white abomination from Halo 5. The sturdy, more angled look really helps it, along with the silver and blue-grays. Such a better weapon design.

I do wonder how they're going to balance it however, given that Spartans are going to have less mobility in Infinite's multiplayer. Less tracking, slower firing, more rockets to kill? I just hope the gun is fun, and has had interesting changes made to it.
I see a lot of people complaining about the design but I absolutely love it. I think the new design looks like something out of CEs art style but just graphically updated of course with polygons etc. I think the fact that it’s almost all one solid color adds to that as well. It looks heavy, metallic, and dangerous.

I also understand the criticisms from Halo 5 on how it was seen as being a “cheap” weapon with its homing capabilities. However we really don’t know how it will function in Infinite at all, and for all we know the mechanics could have completely changed. Maybe you can’t hold the trigger down and there’s a delay between trigger pulls to fire. Maybe the rockets don’t have any homing functionality anymore, or it’s been severely reduced. We really don’t know. It seems from the January update they are taking weapon balancing very seriously so if they brought it back then I’d have to assume they believe it won’t be overpowered. I’m really excited to find out more.
Eh, I don’t really mind that it’s returning. I’d say it had a place in the sandbox, with it being a lighter explosive and therefore being able to track. If people can’t just pull them out like reqs in Halo 5, I don’t see it being very unbalanced.
Disappointed

Unfun and badly designed are both subjective. But then again, you stated yourself that you've always hated it, and always will, so trying to have any reasonable discussion with you would be utterly pointless, as it seems you're just here to complain.

(By the by, while Halo 5 was a subpar Halo game, the maps definitely didn't lack in cover, so I'm not sure where you pulled that out of.)
Your last point was exactly was I was about to bring up. Most of H5's maps are small-medium sized with nothing but angles and cover spots. Considering you need all these different ledges and walls to clamber up on. I dont get where the op is coming from at all.
I like it a lot. It looks a lot more realistic than that weird chunky thing in 5. And I expect the gameplay to be fun.
Spam8358 wrote:

Would you change anything about it’s function or role from H5? And in that case what?
I love the new design. It screams Combat Evolved to me, it looks similar in certain areas to the old Assault Rifle. It's simple, it's smooth, gunmetal gray, absolutely beautiful design. It looks heavy but simple at the same time, perfect fit for UNSC aesthetic. As for my thoughts on it's return, I'm very pleased. I love the hydra. Any noob could get lucky and launch the whole barrage of missiles to kill one spartan, but it takes skill to manipulate the weapon's tracking system and use effective ammuntiion conservation to really get the most out of that weapon. I think it operates very well as an anti-infantry power weapon and I wouldn't change anything about it's function from Halo 5.
I don't have much a problem with the Hydra, but in general I would prefer that the number of lock on weapons is kept to a minimum.

I kind of hope that the Hydra becomes player guided like Ad Victoriam rather than being fire and forget We still get all the potential to hook hydra shots around corners and other obstacles, but it with greater emphasis on player skill.

As for how it looks after reminding myself of how it looked before, overall I think this new design is a big improvement.
Disappointed

I just mean to be fair here, in defence of commando544 he/she didn't really claim that these weren't subjective opinions, nor asked for a debate about it. I personally didn't interpret it like that at all.
I asked for opinions. So whether people wanna praise, analyse or just plainly express their complaints about it, that's fine by me.
It looks way better than the original, the only thing that might feel just a little bit weird to me is that the silhouette is quite similar to the ARs silhouette.

I'm ok with it, it's not a weapon that I love in Halo 5, found it quite meh, and boring to use, but I respect that they made something that wasn't just a copycat of something else, and I think it has potential. I don't have any strong opinions at all about it.

Yes. I would speed up the velocity. Not the fire rate, just the velocity. Mostly because I think it looks weird that those shots go through the air so slowly, that's pretty much the only reason lol.
Spam8358 wrote:
Disappointed

I just mean to be fair here, in defence of commando544 he/she didn't really claim that these weren't subjective opinions, nor asked for a debate about it. I personally didn't interpret it like that at all.
I asked for opinions. So whether people wanna praise, analyse or just plainly express their complaints about it, that's fine by me.
Perhaps. But a forum is a place to discuss, argue, and converse. If someone's entire modus operandi is simply to make opinionated bitter comments with no intention of adding anything of substance to the conversation, and maintaining a closed mind, then they're not much use here.
Saying you'll always hate a weapon, which has thus far had one design iteration is both closed minded, and unhelpful. We don't know how the gun will operate. We don't know what changes will be made to it. Commenting on that would be constructive. Commenting on being worried about how it will function, would be constructive. Commenting on changes you've like to see with it, would be constructive. commando544 did none of those things. As such, I can't help but imagine that this was merely another excuse for them to take lazy shots at 343i.

There is always room for criticism. But it is always best when it is informed criticism, rather than ignorant whinging.
Disappointed

The Hydra picksup with 16 shots total. It takes 2 rockets to kill an enemy player, so using it correctly can easily add 8 kills to your list. Lock on, aim up. The gun does the job for you. You can mortar your opponents where cover doesn't help. Arguably, the gun is super fun to use but such a pain to be killed by. I was disappointed to see it returning but I'm on board if the damage, ammo, or at least range is changed.
munk07 wrote:
Disappointed

The Hydra picksup with 16 shots total. It takes 2 rockets to kill an enemy player, so using it correctly can easily add 8 kills to your list. Lock on, aim up. The gun does the job for you. You can mortar your opponents where cover doesn't help. Arguably, the gun is super fun to use but such a pain to be killed by. I was disappointed to see it returning but I'm on board if the damage, ammo, or at least range is changed.
Well, given the fact that there's far less mobility abilities in Halo Infinite, I would suspect they'd need to do something to tone it down. Having it viciously track, kill in two hits, and fire fast is definitely not a great idea. I didn't find the gun to be oppressive in Halo 5, though I certainly don't think it took any degree of skill to use. I think its projectiles need their speed dialed down a bit (as well as fire rate), and have the tracking tuned down. Though, that might be too much. Who knows. I just hope they somehow manage to include skill in using the gun.
Spam8358 wrote:
Disappointed

Perhaps. But a forum is a place to discuss, argue, and converse. If someone's entire modus operandi is simply to make opinionated bitter comments with no intention of adding anything of substance to the conversation, and maintaining a closed mind, then they're not much use here.
Saying you'll always hate a weapon, which has thus far had one design iteration is both closed minded, and unhelpful. We don't know how the gun will operate. We don't know what changes will be made to it. Commenting on that would be constructive. Commenting on being worried about how it will function, would be constructive. Commenting on changes you've like to see with it, would be constructive. commando544 did none of those things. As such, I can't help but imagine that this was merely another excuse for them to take lazy shots at 343i.

There is always room for criticism. But it is always best when it is informed criticism, rather than ignorant whinging.
I disagree with half of that, but I wanna keep the topic on the Hydra. Let's just be nice to each other :)
Personally I like the new look, it gives me Halo CE vibes with its design & it looks like it fits in Halo, The Hydra was a a fun gun to use in Halo 5 I enjoyed how it functions & im happy to see it return
The Hydra was one of my favourites to use in Warzone but on the whole it felt like it didnt do much against vehicles without the Echidna variant.

If it were designed to have a specific anti-vehicle function like the Reach Grenade Launcher did then I think it would fit into the game a lot more smoothly than the fire and forget lockon in Halo 5 which frankly did better against ground targets and the lockon was at times hard to avoid, especially in the larger BTB maps or in BTB Fiesta if someone got the Echidna.

The lock on feature is particularly annoying because its already an explosive weapon, which holds an advantage in most fights as is, but its an explosive weapon that you need to routinely take cover from and avoid because it can track you.

The Reach Grenade Launcher comparatively was powerful enough to one shot players and EMP vehicles but you needed to aim it just right and detonate just right.

My ideal Hydra would be: free fire against regular players, locks on to all vehicle types, if 3 of the rockets hit a vehicle, they will EMP it. Good tracking against air vehicles and moderate tracking against ground vehicles. 6 shots that can do decent damage to a vehicle but not enough to destroy it from full health. Player would need roughly 2.5 shots from a Hydra before dying.

My Ideal Hydra is a dedicated vehicle bruiser that whilst competent against players, is doubly effective against vehicles that try to push for more space making defending against banshee attacks and warthog runs a much more varied experience.

In this scenario if you had a Hydra you would be offering a temporary shutdown of the enemies plans whilst your team finishes them off or you could opt for a Spartan Laser which solves the problem immediately but uses valuable charge.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2