Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The Missing Piece- Halo Infinite PvE

OP Deaths Shadow74

Firefight. Warzone Firefight. Spartan Ops.
Throw in a challenge system, forge-made Firefight maps and new missions every month, and you have one incredible recipe for Co-op soup.

Allow me to explain. Halo has an incredible Multiplayer, Legendary dare I say. But what if I got tired of doing Arena? What if I wanted to take a break from BTB, and kick back with my fellow Spartans and fight for my life against hostile alien hordes??

With how large Halo Infinite is planned to be, there is a massive oppurtunity for evolved PvE for this game. Forge-made Firefight maps are something that have been wished for since Firefight existed. Imagine the possibilities. You want a more objective based, larger Firefight experience? Bring back Warzone Firefight but make it better. No recs, 12 players, large amounts of enemies, include bosses but make them interesting, make it feel like a proper warzone. Bring back Spartan Ops, but instead of being a side-story with episodes, just make it a dungeon-style shoot em up gamemode with 4 players. That could potentially be very badass. Extraction missions, take-overs, bomb planting. Imagine fighting your way through a Banished stronghold to plant a bomb, and you have to make it out alive with your team to the Pelican waiting at extraction.

What i'm saying is, there's tons of potential for PvE here. Thoughts?
I am definitely hoping there's a chance that we'll have massively expanded PVE in Infinite, ya. I personally just don't play much PVP simply because I'm not a very competitive person and I find it gets stressful quickly. But, I still like to rank up and be part of the online community.

I think at a minimum we'll at least get one Firefight gametype, whether that's (preferably) traditional ODST/Reach style Firefight or a sequel to WZFF. It'd be nice if we got both. I'm hoping campaign co-op matchmaking will return. I think there's a good chance we'll get Forgeable AI, so we can create our own PVE missions. And I think there might at least be an outside chance that AI bots will finally come to Halo. All of this would be made possible if Slipspace (unlike the old Blam engine) allows for AI on a map without the AI pathfinding needing to be baked into the map itself.
As long as it's nothing like halo 4's firefight, or has req crap like halo 5.
Like the idea, good way to break it all up.
They can always add more PVE content later which I really hope they do because they absolutely need it for casual players. I honestly think Warzone was a good first step, but I think they were being narrow minded about PVE content. I honestly think that the semi-open word will help modes being added on already existing environments.
Danumis wrote:
They can always add more PVE content later which I really hope they do because they absolutely need it for casual players. I honestly think Warzone was a good first step, but I think they were being narrow minded about PVE content. I honestly think that the semi-open word will help modes being added on already existing environments.
Pretty much this, the open world will lead to some fantastic opportunities for PVE events. Hold out in a base against incoming forces, take these bases, take out the high value target, save the marines etc. It's all pretty standard stuff nowadays to be honest but we've never had it in Halo properly.
Danumis wrote:
Pretty much this, the open world will lead to some fantastic opportunities for PVE events. Hold out in a base against incoming forces, take these bases, take out the high value target, save the marines etc. It's all pretty standard stuff nowadays to be honest but we've never had it in Halo properly.
I don't understand why they don't have a firefight like mode where you have to fight through hordes of enemies to stop the activation of a ring. I sometimes question the creative visions of some of the people who create the game modes.
I'm wondering if 343 will take a page from someone's book and let you land your drop pod wherever you want on a pve map at start
Danumis wrote:
Danumis wrote:
I don't understand why they don't have a firefight like mode where you have to fight through hordes of enemies to stop the activation of a ring. I sometimes question the creative visions of some of the people who create the game modes.
I'm sure there are tons of fantastic and creative ideas that get thrown on the floor due to limitations of game development and resource allocation.

It isn't fair to say that the people making the game modes lack creative vision, as it is much easier to sit back on this side of game development and come up with cool ideas when we aren't the ones who have to implement them.
I'm wondering if 343 will take a page from someone's book and let you land your drop pod wherever you want on a pve map at start
Drop from orbit like an ODST?
I think they should and will definitely have Firefight in the game, either at launch(hopefully) or soon thereafter in a content update. Whether it's more in the form of Warzone Firefight or a classic Firefight only time will tell. I feel they should also do a Gears 5 and feature a community Firefight map every week or something like that. Especially if Forge is as in depth as it is rumored to be, then I could see people creating custom Firefight maps that would be super awesome. Either that or 343 makes a featured Firefight playlist every week that contained special challenges or modifiers on existing maps, with bespoke rewards that could be earned every week, whether that be just XP boosts or large drops of whatever currency is going to be used to unlock armors or other customization items.
I think they should and will definitely have Firefight in the game, either at launch(hopefully) or soon thereafter in a content update. Whether it's more in the form of Warzone Firefight or a classic Firefight only time will tell. I feel they should also do a Gears 5 and feature a community Firefight map every week or something like that. Especially if Forge is as in depth as it is rumored to be, then I could see people creating custom Firefight maps that would be super awesome. Either that or 343 makes a featured Firefight playlist every week that contained special challenges or modifiers on existing maps, with bespoke rewards that could be earned every week, whether that be just XP boosts or large drops of whatever currency is going to be used to unlock armors or other customization items.
I like the way you think, Spartan. That sounds sick! One thing i'm very excited for in Infinite is the challenge system, it'll offer a chance to get ahead of the game while also offering some replayability.
I've always wanted Firefight to return, Warzone Firefight missed the mark for me. To me, Firefight is about overcoming overwhelming numbers of enemies. It is hard to get that desperate feeling for survival when there are 11 other players with ultra power weapons and vehicles. Give me 4 player max with as many enemies as the game engine can smoothly handle at once. Competing for points against 11 others is boring, working as a team to try and cover all the angles for a team victory is far more rewarding. Also, I'd like to see more objectives: basic survival, escape, infiltrate and secure, assault/rescue (get-in/get-out alive style). I think we need environments crafted specially for firefight, and even specifically for the objective.
I've always wanted Firefight to return, Warzone Firefight missed the mark for me. To me, Firefight is about overcoming overwhelming numbers of enemies. It is hard to get that desperate feeling for survival when there are 11 other players with ultra power weapons and vehicles. Give me 4 player max with as many enemies as the game engine can smoothly handle at once. Competing for points against 11 others is boring, working as a team to try and cover all the angles for a team victory is far more rewarding. Also, I'd like to see more objectives: basic survival, escape, infiltrate and secure, assault/rescue (get-in/get-out alive style). I think we need environments crafted specially for firefight, and even specifically for the objective.
100% brother. I'd love to see that. I'd personally want that, and the option to play a mode with 11 other players, but the fight is scaled up to feel like a battle. Big Team Firefight? But instead of it feeling like a competition to get more points, it feels like an epic fight for survival.
Mongerty wrote:
Danumis wrote:
Danumis wrote:
I'm sure there are tons of fantastic and creative ideas that get thrown on the floor due to limitations of game development and resource allocation.

It isn't fair to say that the people making the game modes lack creative vision, as it is much easier to sit back on this side of game development and come up with cool ideas when we aren't the ones who have to implement them.
I think it is fair to say they lack a complete creative vision with what they have provided. Halo 5 multiplayer maps lacked a strong creative vision with their warehouse maps. The story seems like it was rebooted multiple times in Halo 5. As a consumer I can critique what I spend my money on. I just think it is a management issue or they lack a solidified vision for what Halo should be and both are concerning.

Hopefully Infinite finally is the Halo they can settle on because Halo 4 and Halo 5 are almost completely different games because they lack the vision needed to appeal to consumers. I am optimistic with Halo Infinite, but the one Halo multiplayer map they showed concerns me.
Danumis wrote:
Mongerty wrote:
Danumis wrote:
Danumis wrote:

I think it is fair to say they lack a complete creative vision with what they have provided. Halo 5 multiplayer maps lacked a strong creative vision with their warehouse maps. The story seems like it was rebooted multiple times in Halo 5. As a consumer I can critique what I spend my money on. I just think it is a management issue or they lack a solidified vision for what Halo should be and both are concerning.

Hopefully Infinite finally is the Halo they can settle on because Halo 4 and Halo 5 are almost completely different games because they lack the vision needed to appeal to consumers. I am optimistic with Halo Infinite, but the one Halo multiplayer map they showed concerns me.
I think that the issues with Halo 4 and 5 are there, but that each game seemed to have their own separate issues to me.
Halo 4 I felt had a really good campaign and a strong visual style and direction. The environments and graphics were really good in my opinion, although i do admit some areas didn't look to much like what I expected a Halo game to look like. Multiplayer in Halo 4 definitely was a miss for me though. You could definitely tell that they tried to go after a different audience by including things such as perks and pre match loadouts which go directly counter to Halo's arena style gameplay. I do think that the maps of Halo 4 seemed to have more variety in terms of art style than Halo 5. It's just too bad the MP just wasn't what Halo multiplayer should have been.

Halo 5 on the other hand I felt did a really good job in terms of multiplayer gameplay. It felt like they understood a lot better about what makes Halo MP so unique and special. Returning to a more Arena style of gameplay while also trying to inject some more areas of increased movement was pretty cool. I do have some issues with thrusters and spartan abilities, but I appreciate that they tried something new and different while still keeping the core of Halo. The campaign on the other hand was such a huge disappointment for me. It felt like the marketing team and the actual development team were working with two different scripts or guidelines or something. Not to mention the art style felt like it was trying really hard to be Halo looking but not actually be Halo at all. Everything kind of felt samey after a while.

If 343 can combine the variety and campaign of Halo 4 with the multiplayer of Halo 5 I think they have a solid foundation. Maybe slow down the gameplay a little bit from 5, which I felt was a little too fast for me with all the jumping and thrusting around. And I'm a big fan of wave modes so if Firefight could go back to being that again, I'll be in Halo heaven!
Danumis wrote:
Mongerty wrote:
Danumis wrote:
Danumis wrote:

I think that the issues with Halo 4 and 5 are there, but that each game seemed to have their own separate issues to me.
Halo 4 I felt had a really good campaign and a strong visual style and direction. The environments and graphics were really good in my opinion, although i do admit some areas didn't look to much like what I expected a Halo game to look like. Multiplayer in Halo 4 definitely was a miss for me though. You could definitely tell that they tried to go after a different audience by including things such as perks and pre match loadouts which go directly counter to Halo's arena style gameplay. I do think that the maps of Halo 4 seemed to have more variety in terms of art style than Halo 5. It's just too bad the MP just wasn't what Halo multiplayer should have been.

Halo 5 on the other hand I felt did a really good job in terms of multiplayer gameplay. It felt like they understood a lot better about what makes Halo MP so unique and special. Returning to a more Arena style of gameplay while also trying to inject some more areas of increased movement was pretty cool. I do have some issues with thrusters and spartan abilities, but I appreciate that they tried something new and different while still keeping the core of Halo. The campaign on the other hand was such a huge disappointment for me. It felt like the marketing team and the actual development team were working with two different scripts or guidelines or something. Not to mention the art style felt like it was trying really hard to be Halo looking but not actually be Halo at all. Everything kind of felt samey after a while.

If 343 can combine the variety and campaign of Halo 4 with the multiplayer of Halo 5 I think they have a solid foundation. Maybe slow down the gameplay a little bit from 5, which I felt was a little too fast for me with all the jumping and thrusting around. And I'm a big fan of wave modes so if Firefight could go back to being that again, I'll be in Halo heaven!
Hopefully! I agree with your sentiments. They have made some weird decisions, but hopefully this Halo brings it all together for at least the core fans. I don't care about the masses because I view Halo more like CS GO than a mainstream CoD.
I hope we see a return to more traditional firefight style modes and not the req fest that was Halo 5s warzone firefight.