Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The opposite of teabagging

OP IIII bRian IIII

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
In Halo Infinite, can we get some kind of action/taunt/emote that somehow shows positive body language, like "thanks" or "good job" or "hi"? Not necessarily a full emote wheel, just a quick gesture that says anything but "you got owned" or "get rekt" or anything negative. Teabagging and punching dead players is fun, but sometimes you want to interact with a player (teammate or opponent) in a way that doesn't come off as punchy-punchy. Like when you accidentally teamkill and you want to show it was unintended, it's difficult to express that without making things worse.

Or maybe a teammate just pulled off an insane play. Celebrating with crouch dancing works often, but its so easy to see it as teabagging if a dead player is nearby. I don't know about you, but I don't like to unintentionally teabag anyone lol, nor am I ever the first to teabag. When I "dip dip potato chip" it's an answer to someone else's. My teabags are always rebuttals. lol

Of course, the first answer we all think of is, "Use a mic and tell them". But in the current matchmaking climate, open mics are extremely rare. And if you're not running a mic, chances are good that you have game chat muted so that screaming baby or blaring music isn't blasting through your TV speakers. So no one will hear you say, "I'm sorry for betraying you."

Another great example happened to me earlier tonight. While playing Firefight, a teammate was killed by some Covies and he dropped a nice shiny Lawgiver shotgun. The respawn timer is pretty long for dead players and often, by the time you make it back to your corpse the weapon has despawned. So I grabbed it and waited there to give it back. He quickly came back on a Ghost hoping the gun was still there. When he saw me holding it, I switched it back out with my dropped AR and did a little crouch dance. He misinterpreted (maybe he thought I was actually picking the shotgun up or maybe he never saw the gun drop, I don't know) and immediately began trying to splatter me with his Ghost. When I died, he got out, picked his shotgun up and started punching my body. I sent him a message saying "I was giving it back to you!" He then betrayed me again and I ended up booting him for it. Maybe this isn't really a good example as he probably was just one of those toxic players that wants to watch the virtual world burn lol.

Regardless, I think having a quick emote/action that has positive implications would make things a little nicer.
I'd rather that stuff stay out of Halo. There are plenty of games that have those lame childish emotes. We don't need those in every game. Teabagging has been a staple of Halo since CE. I prefer they keep the kiddie stuff in Fortnite, Destiny, and CoD. Those games basically cater to little kids now with the emotes, outfits, and gun skins. I'd hate for that to happen to Halo.
kjbart wrote:
I'd rather that stuff stay out of Halo. There are plenty of games that have those lame childish emotes. We don't need those in every game. Teabagging has been a staple of Halo since CE. I prefer they keep the kiddie stuff in Fortnite, Destiny, and CoD. Those games basically cater to little kids now with the emotes, outfits, and gun skins. I'd hate for that to happen to Halo.
I agree with this. I’d prefer the emotes stay out. The teabagging keeps it light hearted yet still competitive.
Regardless, I think having a quick emote/action that has positive implications would make things a little nicer.
I could not agree more. There's a lot of sore losers though, and unfortunately some don't play well with others, but some positive gestures would be welcome imo.

kjbart wrote:
There are plenty of games that have those lame childish emotes. We don't need those in every game. Teabagging has been a staple of Halo since CE.
Seriously ? Teabagging is the most childish and unsporting in game action I can think of. A little more sportsmanship and goodwill is always welcome imo. I remember many occasions of being the only player left on a team and not quitting, my reward for sticking it out was a barrage of noob messages and getting teabagged at every kill, even though I stood up and gave them a game. It happens too much, and I welcome ideas that could improve the experience.
I guess my take is that teabagging is a game mechanic exaggerated to become something else, sometimes positive and sometimes negative. I don’t want to see emotes in Halo, but if there is another game mechanic such as jumping that players can spam to express positivity, I’m all for it.
tuhin94 wrote:
I guess my take is that teabagging is a game mechanic exaggerated to become something else, sometimes positive and sometimes negative. I don’t want to see emotes in Halo, but if there is another game mechanic such as jumping that players can spam to express positivity, I’m all for it.
This was more of what I was implying. Not a full emote wheel or dancing. Just a simple single action/gesture that implies something in the opposite direction of teabagging. Something that when you see a player doing it, you understand it as (thank you) (good job) (GG) or (well fought). There were plenty of times I killed an opponent and wanted to praise them on how difficult they made it. Can you imagine having a drawn out exchange of bullets with an enemy, neither of you able to finish the kill, then finally they dome you and as they stand over your body, they praise you rather than teabag you?
tuhin94 wrote:
This was more of what I was implying. Not a full emote wheel or dancing. Just a simple single action/gesture that implies something in the opposite direction of teabagging. Something that when you see a player doing it, you understand it as (thank you) (good job) (GG) or (well fought). There were plenty of times I killed an opponent and wanted to praise them on how difficult they made it. Can you imagine having a drawn out exchange of bullets with an enemy, neither of you able to finish the kill, then finally they dome you and as they stand over your body, they praise you rather than teabag you?
Gotcha. What I used to do was do a "slow" teabag. Basically, crouch down next to them and then stand back up only one time. But, that could easily be misinterpreted haha. Hopefully there's a new non-lethal mechanic in Infinite we can use to meet this end. I really like this idea though because, as much as I love teabagging players, I also want to show respect to good opponents much like you do!
tuhin94 wrote:
The chances of any mechanic going viral for a reason outside it's original intent that's positive in nature is slim to none. You'd have to get people to catch on in order to spread it, and the unfortunate truth is that the internet has too much fun being not nice to promote such a thing on a large scale. Things like that tend to catch on because they're funny, but what most people tend to find funny are things that are at the expense of others. People are much less likely to invent a motion out of existing mechanics that they could use to celebrate others than they would be to use a mechanic specifically designed for that reason (e.g. emote, voice line, etc).
Chimera30 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
The chances of any mechanic going viral for a reason outside it's original intent that's positive in nature is slim to none. You'd have to get people to catch on in order to spread it, and the unfortunate truth is that the internet has too much fun being not nice to promote such a thing on a large scale. Things like that tend to catch on because they're funny, but what most people tend to find funny are things that are at the expense of others. People are much less likely to invent a motion out of existing mechanics that they could use to celebrate others than they would be to use a mechanic specifically designed for that reason (e.g. emote, voice line, etc).
You're right, in the end it won't even matter what the mechanic is since players will ultimately use it mainly for humor. But, people use emotes to taunt also, no matter how positive that emote is. Perfect example is Battlefront 2. When I used to play that game, lots of players who had a high-level hero would use the same 1 or 2 emotes after killing an opponent. I was guilty of that as well since I ended up using emotes as a substitute for teabagging. While I don't teabag every player, I definitely do so for certain players whenever possible. If players will taunt regardless of what the mechanic is, be that an action or emote, I don't see the necessity of having emotes in Halo where they would only be a nuisance and not add anything useful to the gameplay.
why use emotes? why not just talk to each other over voice chat?
WSerg wrote:
why use emotes? why not just talk to each other over voice chat?
As I said in the original post, people don't always listen. lol ;)
Personally, I'm not a fan of any kind of emotes, dances or whatever. I find them dumb and a waste if time. If someone does a good play, tell them threw your headset. If you don't want to talk, send them a message after the match.

I disagree that people don't use mics anymore. People do, especially in ranked but some are just hesitant.

Teabagging is whatever...who cares. Someone wants to do it to me go ahead. My teammate will kill you ;) I just really feel like this kind of stuff is a waste of developers time and energy that can be better spent on other important things. Also, no offense to anyone that likes emotes, dances, etc. But I find them all have a very childish feel to them and the day I see a Spartan in a match doing a dance or something over my dead body, is the day I quite playing Halo (at least online anyways)
Personally, I'm not a fan of any kind of emotes, dances or whatever. I find them dumb and a waste if time.
We've already clarified, a few comments in, that we're not talking about emotes or dancing.
If someone does a good play, tell them threw your headset. If you don't want to talk, send them a message after the match.
Obviously. But hitting a button mid match is a lot easier than sending a message afterwards, especially if you don't want to back out of matchmaking before the next match.
I disagree that people don't use mics anymore. People do, especially in ranked but some are just hesitant.
This was never stated...lol
I think outright dismissing emotes on the grounds of "Fortnite has it and Fortnite is for kids and I'm a big boy" is short sighted, and I don't believe people who dismiss the concept grasp the broadness of the notion. There's nothing inherently wrong with the concept, and in a situation where verbal communication isn't necessarily possible or wanted body language is the most natural form of communication. The fact that teabagging even exists is a clear indication people desire ways to communicate nonverbally in games so much that they invent language with the available game mechanics. In that respect, again, it is extremely short sighted to oppose mechanics that facilitate nonverbal communication just on principle, especially when these mechanics could be used to create more positive player interactions.

"Emotes" don't inherently need to be silly, and should be made to fit the atmosphere of the game. Anyone who hears "emotes in Halo" and immediately thinks of Fortnite dances or whatever is not giving the idea enough thought. There doesn't need to be a massive amount of emotes, and an emote can be appropriate in the context. For example, simply allowing a single action, a simple quick salute, would fit the Halo universe and would allow players to acknowledge another player with a polite, neutral gesture.

Enabling more positive player interactions in a game where the only way to traditionally interact with others nonverbally is at best ambiguous and at worst violent or invasive is not a bad thing. The way people feel and behave can be shaped by the tools they are given, and in a community that is not known for its respect and good faith, we should be seeking more ways that allow players to express positive emotions, because that can in the long term help us create a better community.
tsassi wrote:
I think outright dismissing emotes on the grounds of "Fortnite has it and Fortnite is for kids and I'm a big boy" is short sighted, and I don't believe people who dismiss the concept grasp the broadness of the notion. There's nothing inherently wrong with the concept, and in a situation where verbal communication isn't necessarily possible or wanted body language is the most natural form of communication. The fact that teabagging even exists is a clear indication people desire ways to communicate nonverbally in games so much that they invent language with the available game mechanics. In that respect, again, it is extremely short sighted to oppose mechanics that facilitate nonverbal communication just on principle, especially when these mechanics could be used to create more positive player interactions.

"Emotes" don't inherently need to be silly, and should be made to fit the atmosphere of the game. Anyone who hears "emotes in Halo" and immediately thinks of Fortnite dances or whatever is not giving the idea enough thought. There doesn't need to be a massive amount of emotes, and an emote can be appropriate in the context. For example, simply allowing a single action, a simple quick salute, would fit the Halo universe and would allow players to acknowledge another player with a polite, neutral gesture.

Enabling more positive player interactions in a game where the only way to traditionally interact with others nonverbally is at best ambiguous and at worst violent or invasive is not a bad thing. The way people feel and behave can be shaped by the tools they are given, and in a community that is not known for its respect and good faith, we should be seeking more ways that allow players to express positive emotions, because that can in the long term help us create a better community.
It's a crazy feeling to have thoughts in your head that you can't find words to explain, and then someone comes along and perfectly sculpts your thoughts to words. lol
Thank you!
I won't be totally dismissive of the idea, but emotes that are... over-active (as in how much you do) is something I'd be completely against. I'd rather prefer something like "Spartan Signals", which has our Spartan perform hand gestures as described in this page in Halopedia. Visually, the Spartan would use the supporting hand (the hand that is just holding the weapon) to perform the hand gestures. Using these emotes wouldn't force 3rd person, in fact, none of them would.

To generalize, I'd want hand gestures that are informative in battle. Now, this would only work in certain scenarios, not all the time. You can tell everyone to go left but they goes right or ignore you. I see this having much more utility in Custom Games, Campaign, etc.
In Halo Infinite, can we get some kind of action/taunt/emote that somehow shows positive body language, like "thanks" or "good job" or "hi"? Not necessarily a full emote wheel, just a quick gesture that says anything but "you got owned" or "get rekt" or anything negative. Teabagging and punching dead players is fun, but sometimes you want to interact with a player (teammate or opponent) in a way that doesn't come off as punchy-punchy. Like when you accidentally teamkill and you want to show it was unintended, it's difficult to express that without making things worse.

Or maybe a teammate just pulled off an insane play. Celebrating with crouch dancing works often, but its so easy to see it as teabagging if a dead player is nearby. I don't know about you, but I don't like to unintentionally teabag anyone lol, nor am I ever the first to teabag. When I "dip dip potato chip" it's an answer to someone else's. My teabags are always rebuttals. lol

Of course, the first answer we all think of is, "Use a mic and tell them". But in the current matchmaking climate, open mics are extremely rare. And if you're not running a mic, chances are good that you have game chat muted so that screaming baby or blaring music isn't blasting through your TV speakers. So no one will hear you say, "I'm sorry for betraying you."

Another great example happened to me earlier tonight. While playing Firefight, a teammate was killed by some Covies and he dropped a nice shiny Lawgiver shotgun. The respawn timer is pretty long for dead players and often, by the time you make it back to your corpse the weapon has despawned. So I grabbed it and waited there to give it back. He quickly came back on a Ghost hoping the gun was still there. When he saw me holding it, I switched it back out with my dropped AR and did a little crouch dance. He misinterpreted (maybe he thought I was actually picking the shotgun up or maybe he never saw the gun drop, I don't know) and immediately began trying to splatter me with his Ghost. When I died, he got out, picked his shotgun up and started punching my body. I sent him a message saying "I was giving it back to you!" He then betrayed me again and I ended up booting him for it. Maybe this isn't really a good example as he probably was just one of those toxic players that wants to watch the virtual world burn lol.

Don't take this the wrong way but most of the things (if not all) can still be used to be negative. If you haven't tried any multiplayer game with actions or emotes you would understand that constant spamming actions or words. Example, For Honor has what you mention and you should see how they abuse it to piss people off. besides, I think Halo is too fast paced to use any emotes or actions for people to notice. They rather just carry on. So open mic is the best thing to do and get attention.
eviltedi wrote:
I could not agree more. There's a lot of sore losers though, and unfortunately some don't play well with others, but some positive gestures would be welcome imo.

kjbart wrote:
There are plenty of games that have those lame childish emotes. We don't need those in every game. Teabagging has been a staple of Halo since CE.
Seriously ? Teabagging is the most childish and unsporting in game action I can think of. A little more sportsmanship and goodwill is always welcome imo. I remember many occasions of being the only player left on a team and not quitting, my reward for sticking it out was a barrage of noob messages and getting teabagged at every kill, even though I stood up and gave them a game. It happens too much, and I welcome ideas that could improve the experience.
You got to be at that point where T-bagging has become more of a meme to Halo now. I see people T-bag me when they can properly juke or outplay me or do something funny. There are some cases where its just random like in Social games but thats social games. Or if your whole team bails on you 1v4 and they do it then it still leads to the same fact that it should still be known as meme by now.

Played since 2004 and gotten to Halo's story since 2007 and T-bagging should be the least of everyone's worries at this point in the series.

Don't take this the wrong way but most of the things (if not all) can still be used to be negative. If you haven't tried any multiplayer game with actions or emotes you would understand that constant spamming actions or words. Example, For Honor has what you mention and you should see how they abuse it to piss people off. besides, I think Halo is too fast paced to use any emotes or actions for people to notice. They rather just carry on. So open mic is the best thing to do and get attention.
Totally true, but still, having the option to use them correctly has made it possible for so many others to use them genuinely. There'll definitely be people that use them wrong or ironically, but how many people are using them genuinely if they don't exist? ;) A lot less than if they do exist. lol
I remember seeing this joke once that Halo players should ditch talking over mic and just teabag in Morse code to communicate with each other. Maybe we could all learn how to say nice things like "thx" and "ily" while we wait for an update on Infinite. 😅
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2