Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The protagonist aren't held back enough!

OP SectionUnity

Ever notice that in Halo 5 either Osiris or Blue team, you happen to fly by each situation by swarms of bullets? They never hit rock or breaking point that causes them to pause and find another route or new mission in the story. It just happens to be "Alright heres our goal. Oh no more enemi- their dead. Oh no the Krake- it's down. Oh no the Warde- he's gone".

Back in Halo CE, it happened to be blowing up the Autumn. In Halo 2, happen to be allying with the Gravemind (imo). In Halo 3, it was deciding to go to the Ark or blowing up the Halo ring prematurely. In Halo 5, the main goal was the same except just more obstacles.

The plot from Point A to B should not be so predictable and start being to A to B.5 to C.
now that you mention it halo 5 didn't really have any road blocks or major obstacles story wise did it? I guess that's why the story felt so bland. also for halo 2 I'd add that regrets ship suddenly jumping to the halo ring and the arbiter being betrayed were pretty big plot changers.
hopefully infinite will be a little tougher on the heroes.
Halo 4 has some road blocks but halo 4 is only used as for artstyle/gameplay topics.
This is a pretty interesting point to bring up. Each game so far has felt like "hey maybe we aren't gonna make it guys?", but I never really felt that way with H5. Despite some limited exploration, I never hit a point where I felt like I had to approach the level differently in order to actually move forward.

There are some amazing parts in older games where (at least on Heroic and Legendary) you had to work out the best strategy to get to the next checkpoint, whereas in H5 you can just go straight through most parts while pumping tons of bullets into the enemy until they're all gone. Even "dying" didn't require a course correction because, for the most part, your squad mates could revive you.
I never thought about that. It did happen once kinda but just at the end. I thinking Cortana EMPing the -Yoink- out of everything is a good obstacle to set up H6 with lol
I would say having to hitch a ride on a Guardian -which required an agreement with the Arbiter to help him- in order to reach Blue team to be a rather big obstacle. Osiris had to track down a Constructor, (shortly after having to destroy the Kraken in their way) and fight their way out of an ambush, then fight their way through a Covenant infested city in order to get to said Guardian. True, everything was solved with gunning down their opposition, but it also required diplomacy and tactical maneuvering.

Chief in the original trilogy seemed more akin to just figuring everything out with sprays of bullets. Bungie even pokes fun of it with his line in Halo 3: "Thought I'd try shooting my way out. Mix things up a little."
tL Armada wrote:
I would say having to hitch a ride on a Guardian -which required an agreement with the Arbiter to help him- in order to reach Blue team to be a rather big obstacle. Osiris had to track down a Constructor, (shortly after having to destroy the Kraken in their way) and fight their way out of an ambush, then fight their way through a Covenant infested city in order to get to said Guardian. True, everything was solved with gunning down their opposition, but it also required diplomacy and tactical maneuvering.

Chief in the original trilogy seemed more akin to just figuring everything out with sprays of bullets. Bungie even pokes fun of it with his line in Halo 3: "Thought I'd try shooting my way out. Mix things up a little."
There's also that part where Osiris has to scale the scaffolding alongside the broken orbital elevator... (One of the few genuinely memorable moments of the campaign)
tL Armada wrote:

But those were gameplay elements that were roadblocks. The main goal to hitch a ride on the Sunion Guardian still succeeded. Saving Arbiter was already the plan at the start of the mission. Tracking down the Constructor was already the start of the objective in the mission as well. Things like a Battlefield, or an Ambush, or a Kraken are just gameplay aspect. But story wise, nothing really caused you to change the game plan in each mission. You always achieve what your goal on where you get to without a problem with the scenario.
tL Armada wrote:

Take it like Halo CE. Once you find out Captain Keys is in trouble, you find a way to save him. However, you realize he is already gone and have to find a different approach to their goal and that was by blowing the Autumn. Or in Halo 2, Arbiter betrayed by the Prophets. Halo 3, you can add Johnson dying and things going sideways on how to escape. Halo 4, taking the Nuke on foot and nearly dying. Nothing story was like that in Halo 5.

And I hope in Halo Infinite, something happens.
Take it like Halo CE. Once you find out Captain Keys is in trouble, you find a way to save him. However, you realize he is already gone and have to find a different approach to their goal and that was by blowing the Autumn. Or in Halo 2, Arbiter betrayed by the Prophets. Halo 3, you can add Johnson dying and things going sideways on how to escape. Halo 4, taking the Nuke on foot and nearly dying. Nothing story was like that in Halo 5.
Even though I've many qualms with H5's story/campaign, I disagree with your point. One could easily argue that Blue Team escaping from Osiris on Meridian forced Osiris to find another Guardian so they could follow them. That event blocked their goal of capturing Blue Team. Then they get to Sanghelios to find another Guardian, only to find the planet engaged in war, so they have to deal with the Covenant so they can make it to the Guardian. Blue Team is trying to recover Cortana but then she flat out betrays them, and they can only be saved by Fireteam Osiris.

So, when you actually think about it, Halo 5 does have story roadblocks that the protagonists must overcome.
tL Armada wrote:
But those were gameplay elements that were roadblocks. The main goal to hitch a ride on the Sunion Guardian still succeeded. Saving Arbiter was already the plan at the start of the mission. Tracking down the Constructor was already the start of the objective in the mission as well. Things like a Battlefield, or an Ambush, or a Kraken are just gameplay aspect. But story wise, nothing really caused you to change the game plan in each mission. You always achieve what your goal on where you get to without a problem with the scenario.
I would still say it was a major roadblock that had to be overcome by Osiris. Their intentions were to retrieve Blue team on Meridian. Boom! Chase done. Back to Infinity for some relaxation.
Instead, Blue team escapes, and now Osiris finds themselves in a crumbling underground deathtrap and have to escape, then they find themselves evading swarms of armigers and the looming Guardian. They now have to get back to their Pelican through a different route then how they arrived due to the newly established threat.
On top of that, now the UNSC has to broker an agreement with Arbiter and dedicate time and resources they initially didn't want to. Osiris now has to track down a Constructor and ensure it remains safe for their assault to the Guardian.
Most of Halo 5 is Osiris having to come up with an on-the-fly game plan than what was originally planned.