Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The return of classic movement mechanics?

OP SuperSniper871

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 40
In my opinion, this game has a really high chance of bringing back the classic gameplay so many old Halo fans have adored! I am so pumped for this!

EDIT: Wow, I didn't expect such diverse opinions on this subject. The Halo community really is split in half. I'm sorry you have to deal with us, 343 :/

EDIT: 600+ comments. What have I done?
As in we all have to walk around really slowly and such?
I hope the game emphasises vehicle travel to get around if it is open world.
Halo armor from 2-3 and old school art style and being back on the Halo, halo is going back to old school style.
There is absolutely no way this game won't have the classic gameplay
That's purely speculation. Making assumptions like this is goofy at best.
the oldest of Halo fans have adored! I am so pumped for this!
I think the first part of this statement is biased based on the second part. There are plenty of older Halo fans that like the new mechanics.
There is absolutely no way this game won't have the classic gameplay the oldest of Halo fans have adored! I am so pumped for this!
As long as ground pound, spartan aren't there then I don't mind as much but surely they should increase the movement speed instead of the sprint, not a fan of being slowed down to a half just because someone shot at me.
I think the first part of this statement is biased based on the second part. There are plenty of older Halo fans that like the new mechanics.
I know, I know, I like the new mechanics too, it's just that the look of the trailer screams to me that Halo is going really far back to its roots, but I could just be jumping to conclusions. One can hope, can't he? I'll give the title a question mark to symbolize the doubt you caused me.
I've been playing halo since the OG xbox but if sprint gone so am I. I can't go back to the slow movement of halo 3. If that's the case good bye halo I loved u so much
I've been playing halo since the OG xbox but if sprint gone so am I. I can't go back to the slow movement of halo 3. If that's the case good bye halo I loved u so much
What about the slow movement of CE?
Yeah I dont want to play a slower halo. I loved CE but the multiplayer in H5 was better with sprint and it had the tightness of halo 2
Yeah I dont want to play a slower halo. I loved CE but the multiplayer in H5 was better with sprint and it had the tightness of halo 2
Halo 5's BMS was increased and is the highest of all the Halos.
Halo CE-3 share the same BMS.
There's more to game pacing than just the BMS.
I regret never testing out the "Legacy" custom game mode, or whatever it was called. Though I saw many praising posts regarding it. Basically, further increased BMS, higher jump height, and ditched the other movement mechanics.

As far as Infinite goes, I doubt anything will be ditched from Halo 5 in terms of movement mechanics, or not much anyway.
Naqser wrote:
I regret never testing out the "Legacy" custom game mode, or whatever it was called. Though I saw many praising posts regarding it. Basically, further increased BMS, higher jump height, and ditched the other movement mechanics.

As far as Infinite goes, I doubt anything will be ditched from Halo 5 in terms of movement mechanics, or not much anyway.
I hope not I can't think of a current fps with slow movement that's crazy that a lot of people want the H3 movement
We don’t know if it’s classic or modern. The art style reversal and even going a step further than I thought and giving Chief his old Mark VI means it could be plausible for classic gameplay to return. They’ve also given statements that they want to work with and upgrade Halo 5’s gameplay for the future. There was even a 343 map designer who used to post on here that said he preferred sprint and suggested it would be in future titles. However, it also possible that they have delayed the game by a year to redesign everything, including the gameplay. Don’t get your hopes up or they could end up crashing and burning, but also realize that there’s definitely a possibility.
Naqser wrote:

I hope not I can't think of a current fps with slow movement that's crazy that a lot of people want the H3 movement
Halo 3 had the same speed as ce and 2. Just that the FoV was lower so it looked slower.
I doubt that classic game mechanics will be abruptly added in just like that. There is such a split in the community about classic versus new halo, such that if they went either direction they would lose half of their community. So they have to do something in the middle, personally I would be fine with classic Halo, but I would also be fine with the removal of just Spartan charge and ground pound. I would be annoyed if both of those are still in the game, but all I really want is classic art style and good campaign.
Naqser wrote:

From my experience, when people talk Halo 3 movement, they reference the mechanics. Saying they want Halo 3 movement is a lot faster than saying they want all the new fancy mechanics gone, sprint, thrusters, clamber, slide, and so forth.
See, all the mechanics get balanced, both as mechanics, and on the maps.
Maps are scaled so that in terms of time, sprinting gets you places as fast as the map designer intended you to. Having a game with no sprint wouldn't change that, 5 seconds is 5 seconds. Jumps are designed so that Clamber has to be used. If a jump isn't meant to be made, then obstacles will be in place to prevent you from succeeding it, no matter if the game has clamber or not. To name a few examples.

Your sense of speed in a game relies on other things than your raw speed, check this video out for instance.
Other pacing related things are usually attributed to accelerations, motion blur, bobbing, time to kill, times to engagements.
Halo CE feels faster, and many say it is the fastest Halo, still. Despite us having several FPS Halo titles after that. Yet it has the exact same movement speed as Halo 3, which many regard as feeling sluggish and slow. Think about that.

As far as a current FPS with a slow movement speed? I haven't played Vermintide 2 yet, but if it's anything like the first one, it can be regarded as feeling slow, because I thought that movement speed was slow.
As long as they kept Sprint and thrusters I'll be happy, I don't want "complete" classic Halo it worked back then but now when I look back or play the old games the movement feels 2 slow, if they just keep Sprint and thrusters and even slide I'll be happy because it's not to advanced movement but it's also not 2 slow and the skill gap will still be there like in Halo 5
Hope so!! I’m so freaking sick of spartan abilities
One argument that maybe you will move slowly like the first trilogy is that you will drive the Warthog all the time, at least is what the trailer hints.
But at the other hand a vast world like that, maybe you need to move faster not depending on the car every single time, so we can only speculate.
At first I didn’t really mind the new abilities but now I’m just super sick of them. They only added them to continue the enhanced mobility trend a lot of shooters used to follow. Halo needs to be unique again by bringing back the classic gameplay
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 40