Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The return of classic movement mechanics?

OP A So So Sniper

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 154
  4. 155
  5. 156
  6. 157
  7. 158
  8. ...
  9. 203
I HAD TO EDIT THIS, HAD A FEW MESS UPS!

Well, as long as they have sprint I’m fine with it. I severely dislike just walking. I’m fine if when you normally move you walk but there needs to be a sprint button. And I’m not talking armor abilities like reach. That was just annoying. But at the same time. What if they include evade. Not as a armor ability, but in halo 5 L.S. ( left stick) you know how if you press down on it you sprint. What if they did that in halo infinite but if you double tap it you do the evade animation. So L.S. (Left stick) has 3 main commands, pushing it in any direction makes you move. Moving forward and then pressing down once enables sprint. While moving in the direction you chose with or without sprinting double tapping it will enable the evade command and you dodge incoming fire or want to make a swift exit from a fight or if your trying to get behind cover. They should also do crawling. The button (B) Doing 2. Commands Crouching, and if you press and hold it down for 2-3 seconds you fall and crawl. Pressing it down once puts you back to crouch. Pressing it down and holding it for 2-3 second puts you straight back up to standing. Also, if you are crawling and you move forward, if you press down L.S. (Left stick) to sprint while crawling it will immediately make you stand and sprint. Right trigger to shoot, left to aim. X for reload, getting in vehicles, and general needs. Y for weapon switching. A jumping and climbing. But double tapping A in the air will enable double jump. While sprinting if you double jump while sprinting you go further distances. The button on top of the left trigger throws grenades, and the button on top of the right trigger does melee attacks. Hitting the enemy’s back while holding down the button engages the assassination action. Holding X and down on the D PAD will do machinima animation. You should be able to do this in the campaign, multiplayer, forge, custom games, and pretty much every game you go into! I will be posting more about this in other forums in the future! Those are some of my ideas!
Being REALISTIC. It WILL have enhanced mobility. Along with -Yoink- Micro-transactions. There is NOTHING I want more than for Halo to go back to it's roots. But, it won't. The micro-transactions are already confirmed. And I believe the reason we haven't seen any game play yet, is because of the enhanced mobility. I really, REALLY hope I am wrong. But I don't think I am :'(
If the game has advanced movement, than MS and 343i thought it's the right direction to take the series and wouldn't hide it. Same goes for classic movement mechanics of course. The reason we haven't seen a gameplay for Hi yet is because it will be released together with Scarlet as a flag-ship title, so of course they're going to reveal it properly with the console. Nothing more, nothing less!
I guess we will wait and see. Classic art style doesn't mean classic gameplay. I hope it is back to classic, but...No.
My evolving thoughts on Infinite's potential game-play:

• IMO, Infinite must include the Clamber mechanic; though, the next iteration needs to be smoother than how it was implemented into Halo 5. It can't cause odd hit-detection issues.
  • While not my ideal personal choice, because I like the Sprint mechanic as it has been implemented into Halo 5, but *if* 343i opted to go without a Sprint mechanic for Infinite I do hope they consider substituting it with some sort of semi-short tuck-&-roll ground evasive maneuver.
  • To be honest, I didn't necessarily mind the nerf that was put to the Boost mechanic in Halo 5's Mythic Playlist. I can appreciate how the change greatly minimizes its effect when a player uses it as an evasive maneuver while grounded; thus, allowing it to primarily function as a key evasive maneuver when airborne or as a reserved tool to reach particular locations/areas through the air that jumps can't quite make alone. I could see this type of change to the boost pairing well with the ground roll ability which would offer the more pronounced evasive maneuver when grounded while boost grants it in the air.
  • Absent the Sprint mechanic I'd advocate for a quicker BMS and directional acceleration which would highlight strafing as a stronger component of the title's gun-play in comparison to Halo 5.
  • I also wouldn't mind seeing some air control added to Infinite; meaning, that when a player is airborne they can mildly alter or affect their general direction just by the directional tilt of the control stick. The integrated armor boosters give some authentic plausibility to this mechanic being implemented; however, when the Boost or Stabilize mechanics get used the minute air control would need to be temporarily nullified since the armor's boosters would be occupied by those particular mechanical tasks instead.
  • I'm a fan of the Stabilize mechanic, but the change I'd particularly like to see is that it be allowed to occur without having to ADS/Smart-Link.
  • I sure hope they maintain the general ADS/Smart-Link design for all weapons - including the melee weapons - and I honestly don't want to see Duel Wielding return. The gun-play depth that is added by layering the zoom mechanic onto the full sandbox, like Halo 5 did, is fantastic in my opinion and I hope that they elect to fully flesh-out all of the possible weapon depth with it.
  • I think it's critically important to keep the jump mechanic depth that's made possible when paired with the crouch mechanic such as the more advanced spring jumps & short hops.
  • I like Halo 5's current melee system and I wouldn't even mind the Spartan Charge mechanic returning (assuming the Sprint mechanic does) as long as its effectiveness is significantly reduced from the Halo 5 version. It'd need to have its effectiveness toned down and its risk level increased.
  • I'd like to see the Slide mechanic return as a component of the crouch mechanic even if the Sprint mechanic is absent. It'd have to be designed a little differently as it wouldn't be gate-kept by the Sprint mechanic. I could see it still working in a much more minimal way by being tied in variable fashion to the BMS and the directional acceleration.
  • I'm hoping that Infinite continues to feature the Magnum + Assault Rifle (w/ similar designs to the H5 Mag & the post-tune H5AR) as the two primary starting weapons for the general arena while reserving the 3-round burst Battle Rifle + Assault Rifle for most Big Team modes. I'd like to see the new BR designed as kind of a cross-blend between the post-tune H5BR version and the pre-tune H5BR version.
  • I'd love to see a new UNSC 3-round burst Personal Defense Weapon (PDW) get introduced as a starting weapon option for HCS modes and perhaps some other particular modes. Basically, a weapon that's got somewhat similar Red-Reticle-Ranges as the Magnum, but features a 3-round burst that'd feature somewhat similar recoil to the Stabilization Jets H5BR. I feel this is the role that they tried to pigeon-hole the regular Recon H5BR into post-tune, but at the same time had to ensure it'd work for some other roles too which made it kind of a mess.
  • I'm not opposed to them having a pure projectile-based sandbox, but the weapons they'd normally treat as hitscan need to have very high bullet velocities such that they function similar to hitscan. In other words, there can be no slow traveling BR bullets like Halo 3.
  • I'd like to see the Ground Pound mechanic return, but it should be treated as an Armor Mod for particular environments like a new take on the social H5 Warzone environment & the game's Campaign. In general, it should NOT be included in the Arena environment and, in particular, the ranked environment.
  • A new take on the H5 Warzone environment and the game's campaign are also the two environments were I wouldn't necessarily mind seeing things like the Jet Pack return as an Armor Mod with it getting tied it to the jump mechanic while depleting the booster's availability; plus, Deployable Equipment! Items such as the Bubble Shield, Energy Drain, Grav Lift, Hologram, Auto-Sentry, etc. Those items should be tied to the D-Pad such that they can be substituted for a grenade by using the grenade (aka equipment) toss mechanic button to then deploy them.
  • I also wouldn't mind seeing playable Elites return as long as they're restricted from the Arena environment. Keep them as a playable option within the new social Warzone environment.
It's been a while since I posted in this topic. My stance hasn't changed from my original post and how sprint and many of the new inclusions, take more away from the halo ecosystem than they add. So I won't go into depth again.

Saying this, I believe 343 have made huge strides to improving the ecosystem and creating that sweet spot between classic and a more modern style of halo with the recent inclusion of Mythic Arena.

I'm sincerely hoping they are using this to gather data for halo infinites core gameplay and map flow. All other elements (hover etc...) that contribute to randomness need to be toned down and made into options for custom games.
The question of mobility in Halo Infinite doesn't have a very easy answer. As much as classic enthusiasts say otherwise, a full-on classic-style Halo would feel fairly antiquated to many people in 2020. On the other hand, Halo 5's movement was really divisive among the fanbase, ranging from an outright rejection of Sprint to a lukewarm/controversial reputation for Thrust. As they are, I think the Spartan Abilities are poorly implemented, but there are glimmers of goodness in there that I hope they retain in Infinite.

Like, you can't really deny how intrinsically good it feels to boost, run, and climb all over the place. You often see the sentiment that "sure, Halo 5's campaign sucked but the multiplayer was awesome!" I would bet that this is what people mean. Halo 5 simply feels really good, even if the abilities have negative indirect effects on the rest of the game. Finding a Doom 2016-style balance between the old and new isn't easy, but they can start by addressing the main criticism of all the abilities.

Sprint separates movement and combat. Most people have agreed that this goes against the nature of Halo, so they can fairly easily remove it and increase the Base Movement Speed. Easy enough. Clamber is a bit trickier; whether it's a quality-of-life convenience or map-stretching annoyance depends on who you ask. Spartan Charge and Ground Pound are nuisances that almost everyone agrees should be removed, while Hover and Slide are often so niche that they hardly affect the game (barring specific jump sequences). The majority of abilities are fairly easy to navigate, in terms of discussion, as their effects are pretty clear.

Thruster Pack, however, is a thornier topic. I think It has tangible effects on the game that are both positive and negative. As many have pointed out, it extends maps due to it's hypermobile nature, with many jumps requiring players to use it, or wait awkwardly for it to recharge when it's down. By making jumps and sightlines alike larger, Thrust becomes a necessity rather than an option. Furthermore, it acts as a sort of get-out-of-jail-free card when a player is in trouble, as the boost goes farther and faster than base movement--especially in the air--to the point where you can flat out run away from certain encounters.

On the other hand, Thrust genuinely opens up options that weren't there, before. Being able to change your momentum so quickly, on the ground or in the air adds new depth to the way players strafe to throw off their opponent's aim. In fact, Thruster Pack is able to save you from a Rocket Launcher fired at your feet, or even dodge a Sword lunge; it adds more potential to outplay your opponent, even in situations that would have been instant death in classic Halo. However good you were, a Rocket was a Rocket and you were as good as dead. Whether you chalk it up to the design of the weapons or the movement, older Halo's didn't let you avoid what you can in Halo 5, and I think allowing players to dodge instakill weapons is a great thing.

It's important to focus on Thrust specifically, because it's reception is the most mixed of all abilities; of all the people there are who want it removed, as many would call it the best addition of Halo 5. If the popular Mythic playlist was anything to go by, 343 was willing to remove every single ability--except Hover and, more importantly, Thrust. It would seem to me that they see no issue with Thruster Pack, meaning it is the single most likely ability to return in Infinite. With this in mind, I think it's best that we all weigh in on it, specifically. I imagine they know what we think about Sprint, but really dissecting both the good and bad of Thrust might be good in the long-run, because it will honestly probably end up in the next game. So, assuming Thrust will return in Infinite, how would you handle it? What should stay and what should go?
The question of mobility in Halo Infinite doesn't have a very easy answer. As much as classic enthusiasts say otherwise, a full-on classic-style Halo would feel fairly antiquated to many people in 2020. On the other hand, Halo 5's movement was really divisive among the fanbase, ranging from an outright rejection of Sprint to a lukewarm/controversial reputation for Thrust. As they are, I think the Spartan Abilities are poorly implemented, but there are glimmers of goodness in there that I hope they retain in Infinite.

Like, you can't really deny how intrinsically good it feels to boost, run, and climb all over the place. You often see the sentiment that "sure, Halo 5's campaign sucked but the multiplayer was awesome!" I would bet that this is what people mean. Halo 5 simply feels really good, even if the abilities have negative indirect effects on the rest of the game. Finding a Doom 2016-style balance between the old and new isn't easy, but they can start by addressing the main criticism of all the abilities.

Sprint separates movement and combat. Most people have agreed that this goes against the nature of Halo, so they can fairly easily remove it and increase the Base Movement Speed. Easy enough. Clamber is a bit trickier; whether it's a quality-of-life convenience or map-stretching annoyance depends on who you ask. Spartan Charge and Ground Pound are nuisances that almost everyone agrees should be removed, while Hover and Slide are often so niche that they hardly affect the game (barring specific jump sequences). The majority of abilities are fairly easy to navigate, in terms of discussion, as their effects are pretty clear.

Thruster Pack, however, is a thornier topic. I think It has tangible effects on the game that are both positive and negative. As many have pointed out, it extends maps due to it's hypermobile nature, with many jumps requiring players to use it, or wait awkwardly for it to recharge when it's down. By making jumps and sightlines alike larger, Thrust becomes a necessity rather than an option. Furthermore, it acts as a sort of get-out-of-jail-free card when a player is in trouble, as the boost goes farther and faster than base movement--especially in the air--to the point where you can flat out run away from certain encounters.

On the other hand, Thrust genuinely opens up options that weren't there, before. Being able to change your momentum so quickly, on the ground or in the air adds new depth to the way players strafe to throw off their opponent's aim. In fact, Thruster Pack is able to save you from a Rocket Launcher fired at your feet, or even dodge a Sword lunge; it adds more potential to outplay your opponent, even in situations that would have been instant death in classic Halo. However good you were, a Rocket was a Rocket and you were as good as dead. Whether you chalk it up to the design of the weapons or the movement, older Halo's didn't let you avoid what you can in Halo 5, and I think allowing players to dodge instakill weapons is a great thing.

It's important to focus on Thrust specifically, because it's reception is the most mixed of all abilities; of all the people there are who want it removed, as many would call it the best addition of Halo 5. If the popular Mythic playlist was anything to go by, 343 was willing to remove every single ability--except Hover and, more importantly, Thrust. It would seem to me that they see no issue with Thruster Pack, meaning it is the single most likely ability to return in Infinite. With this in mind, I think it's best that we all weigh in on it, specifically. I imagine they know what we think about Sprint, but really dissecting both the good and bad of Thrust might be good in the long-run, because it will honestly probably end up in the next game. So, assuming Thrust will return in Infinite, how would you handle it? What should stay and what should go?
The sprint animation can be removed and replaced with an increase in the base movement speed, I agree 100%. A double jump tied into thrusters (So it can't be spammed) can replace clamber easily. Spartan charge is now irrelevant because we removed the sprint animation and It was only in to try to figure out something better than the sprint in double melee that everyone did in reach. Ground pound they could either remove or leave it in, but If it's left in I would make it so you actually have to hit the person to do damage. Hovering they can leave in or remove and sliding is just irrelevant and unnecessary so they can remove that. Thruster pack I think they should leave in and do something along the lines of what they did in Halo 5 with mechanically-wise. By doing this, you will always have your "gun up" like Halo gameplay of old and how it should be in my opinion.

Throw in interactive environments on the multiplayer maps like H2A had and that's a Halo game I can definitely get behind 🙃 oh and get rid of the brutal ADS style zooming look already. It looks terrible! Update the look of the old style instead.
The sprint animation can be removed and replaced with an increase in the base movement speed, I agree 100%. A double jump tied into thrusters (So it can't be spammed) can replace clamber easily. Spartan charge is now irrelevant because we removed the sprint animation and It was only in to try to figure out something better than the sprint in double melee that everyone did in reach. Ground pound they could either remove or leave it in, but If it's left in I would make it so you actually have to hit the person to do damage. Hovering they can leave in or remove and sliding is just irrelevant and unnecessary so they can remove that. Thruster pack I think they should leave in and do something along the lines of what they did in Halo 5 with mechanically-wise. By doing this, you will always have your "gun up" like Halo gameplay of old and how it should be in my opinion.

Throw in interactive environments on the multiplayer maps like H2A had and that's a Halo game I can definitely get behind 🙃 oh and get rid of the brutal ADS style zooming look already. It looks terrible! Update the look of the old style instead.
A double-jump is an interesting concept, though it would definitely need to be carefully tuned. That aside, I largely agree with this post, with the caveat that Thruster Pack needs to be reined in, a little. I would prefer that it no longer accelerate the player past their normal top speed, but simply shift their momuntum, quickly. This way, it would only serve as a way to dodge attacks, rather than be used as a mobility option. As is, it's just too defining to the gameplay to be left unchanged.
I like the ideas being submitted here. My revised thoughts:
Thrust could also have a meter, and could be used as a slight "double jump" or jetpack, to help give you that extra little boost to reach an edge. I have no issues with clamber, but everything else can go. Bring back dual wielding, PLEASE. Additional moves could include crawling and climbing, although the latter is a hard topic. When I say climbing, I mean finding footholds in a rock wall and scaling it in a unique animation. This could be a risk/reward move; you could climb up the sniper tower early, but you leave yourself in the open and defenseless, or you could go the long way around, which is much safer. Both crawling and climbing could be used greatly, not only as gameplay elements, but for immersion and hiding secrets. Imagine the unique map possibilities that could be made.
Another addition I'd like to see, this is more campaign only: a scan mode. Allow us to scan items, vehicles, weapons, enemies, etc. and log that data in a logbook, so we can read about what we're seeing. Think Metroid Prime. This could also lead to unlocks for multiplayer, like unique armor, emblems, etc. Maybe also have slight puzzle solving elements in the maps, that lead to unique secrets or upgrades for the campaign, like deeper ammo reserves, faster thrust recharge, etc.
I think Halo could benefit from taking inspiration from Metroid.
iKashikoi wrote:
I think it should be classic but keep the sprinting and clamber lol.
So modern warfare is what you like. Neither of what you listed are classic
Throwing my hat in the ring to say that classic movement would be my preference.

Sprint adds the illusion of faster gameplay but doesn't actually improve the pace of the game considering you cant attack while sprinting and that once you stop sprinting you must ready your weapon before you can attack, slowing down the game in actuality. Sprint also has a negative effect on the map design causing maps to be made bigger, weapon spawns to be farther apart and making vehicles less important (Case in point: Halo Reach map design vs Halo 3). Having a consistent movement speed across all players at all times allows map designers to better control the flow of the game allowing for better maps. Dust2 is a monument of this and stands as arguably the best multiplayer map of all time.

If you want faster movement it is better to just increase the base running speed by 10-25%. This method actually accomplishes the perceived benefits of sprint without any of the drawbacks.
Actually, I can.
The entire movement system of H5G feels like a downgrade in almost every way, because most of the abilities disempower you as a player any chance they have.
You can no longer move at max speed unless you put your weapon down.
You can no longer make (most) skilljumps unless you put your weapon down and clamber up a wall.
Not to mention that all these abilities lack omnidirectionality. In Classic Halo I could run in a different direction than I was looking and jump over a chasm at the same time.
Can I do that in H5G? No.
Even disregarding how movement is now separated from combat, the movement itself is less dynamic and as a result less interesting than before.
On top of that, I almost feel insulted by the developers, because they apparently think that having flashy animations is a worthy replacement for taking away my player agency, like I was some sort of magpie, mindlessly attracted to shiny things.
Finally, even if the movement of H5G did feel good (which it doesn't), it still doesn't justify the damage to the combat. Halo is a first person shooter, so that is where the focus should be: Combat.
If I wanted to "run and climb all over the place", I'd play Mirror's Edge instead.
Celestis wrote:
Actually, I can.
The entire movement system of H5G feels like a downgrade in almost every way, because most of the abilities disempower you as a player any chance they have.
You can no longer make (most) skilljumps unless you put your weapon down and clamber up a wall.
Not to mention that all these abilities lack omnidirectionality. In Classic Halo I could run in a different direction than I was looking and jump over a chasm at the same time.
Even disregarding how movement is now separated from combat, the movement itself is less dynamic and as a result less interesting than before.
On top of that, I almost feel insulted by the developers, because they apparently think that having flashy animations is a worthy replacement for taking away my player agency, like I was some sort of magpie, mindlessly attracted to shiny things.
Finally, even if the movement of H5G did feel good (which it doesn't), it still doesn't justify the damage to the combat. Halo is a first person shooter, so that is where the focus should be: Combat.
If I wanted to "run and climb all over the place", I'd play Mirror's Edge instead.
Well, it may feel like a downgrade to you, so that is your opinion. You say that "You can no longer make (most) skilljumps unless you put your weapon down and clamber up a wall." but, if your are actually skilled at jumping, you would know how to jump up without the use of clamber. There are many common jumps I can think of that require clamber though. The "run and climb all over the place" is to approach the battle at a different angle or approach a new battle. The focus has never left combat unless your playing objective (which still requires combat).
Celestis wrote:
Actually, I can.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree with all of those points. The distinction I was making is that all of the Spartan Abilities feel good in the simple sense that you press a button and something exciting happens. You boost, you run, you climb--you get the idea. That part feels good, and I'm just trying to illustrate that many players seemingly value it.

All the problems you were mentioning were the exact indirect effects I was talking about. That's what I'm trying to say: the abilities do feel good, but they make the game worse in less obvious ways. Infinite can hopefully capture the exciting feeling of Halo 5 without quashing the player agency of Classic Halo. That's the ideal, I think.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree with all of those points. The distinction I was making is that all of the Spartan Abilities feel good in the simple sense that you press a button and something exciting happens. You boost, you run, you climb--you get the idea. That part feels good, and I'm just trying to illustrate that many players seemingly value it.
I've already addressed that; I don't see "push button to get animation" as something exciting, even if the developers might think otherwise.
(On top of that, a lot of the sprint animations look bad in and of themselves: The BR, the Magnum, etc.)

All the problems you were mentioning were the exact indirect effects I was talking about. That's what I'm trying to say: the abilities do feel good, but they make the game worse in less obvious ways. Infinite can hopefully capture the exciting feeling of Halo 5 without quashing the player agency of Classic Halo. That's the ideal, I think.
Once more, I disagree about this being an indirect effect. Movement itself has gotten worse because these abilities disempower the player. They don't feel good to use. I repeatedly caught myself groaning whenever I was forced to use them. They're clumsy and restrictive replacements for stuff you were inherently able to do before. That's as direct as you can get.

Let's say 343 would suddenly add the ability to shoot while sprinting into the next game, thus once again fusing movement and combat into one. (It's not as straight-forward as that, but let's just assume for the sake of argument.)
I would still hate
- having to push a button to reach my maximum speed
- not being able to run sideways or backwards at max speed
- having a reduced turn radius at max speed
- being forced to face a wall in order to make certain jumps
- etc etc
Using these abilities just feels bad because they actually let you do less. They needlessly overcomplicate simple map traversal while at the same time restricting your abilities, both, when using them and when not using them.
Another funny thing is that peole like to call H3 the "slowest" Halo game. Well, Pace is not defined by animations, but this is something everyone should know by this time. And I don't really wanna dive into that for the 50th time, I just would like to point out the visual aspect: The problem people seem to have with H3 in particular is the FOV and NOT the BMS.

This is the perfect example of how the FOV can make a visually difference in terms of pace in
Combat Evolved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se95M2ySzDI
Or in Halo 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfhhNuoQSME
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
Mythic Slayer is the way
Id love classic a more classic Halo. But 343 since Halo 4 has been all about "evolution" "the next step""modernizing" We will have sprint i almost certain of that. The only question is "will we have Halo 5 mechanics to a certain degree?"
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 154
  4. 155
  5. 156
  6. 157
  7. 158
  8. ...
  9. 203