Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The return of classic movement mechanics?

OP A So So Sniper

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 161
  4. 162
  5. 163
  6. 164
  7. 165
  8. ...
  9. 169
In my opinion, this game has a really high chance of bringing back the classic gameplay so many old Halo fans have adored! I am so pumped for this!

EDIT: Wow, I didn't expect such diverse opinions on this subject. The Halo community really is split in half. I'm sorry you have to deal with us, 343 :/

EDIT: 1100 comments. What have I done?FINAL EDIT: I'm just going to stop counting at this point. The level of which this thread has grown is simply ridiculous.

POINTLESS EDIT: Hey, 117 likes. Good for me.
Hope to see the Halo 3 mechanics
I've been playing halo since the OG xbox but if sprint gone so am I. I can't go back to the slow movement of halo 3. If that's the case good bye halo I loved u so much
Halo 3 artstyle is soo OP
tsassi wrote:
Smart-Scope = Not allowing the player to continue moving at the same speed while zoomed in
This is not true in Halo 5. The ADS speed is the exact same as the base movement speed.
How about turning speed?
Don't know about that, but possibly. Usually the zoomed in turning sensitivity is slower than the unzoomed. This is true in classic Halo, too.
Indeed increase movement speed and deop sprint map making becomes way too challenging as you can see.
I've been playing halo since the OG xbox but if sprint gone so am I. I can't go back to the slow movement of halo 3. If that's the case good bye halo I loved u so much
Base movement speed of 3 is much faster gameplay what do you mean?
tsassi wrote:
I've seen it argued H5 is slower paced than the older games? but never felt it that way
In Halo 5, you are probably performing more actions per minute, because of constatly having to use Spartan Abilities and whatnot. However, people often mean pace as the rate at which the game progresses, which in Halo 5 isn't demonstrably faster than in classic games. It comes down to what you mean by pace.

Another thing (and this might just been a thing only I feel) is that H5 gameplay seems to, in some of the dev made maps, cause level architecture, especially in human environments, to be quite bizarre looking. Just like big weird objects and shapes put there for the sake of clambering over that make it hard to imagine humans walking around in these locations. Whereas with classic movement the levels could look more build for purpose.
This is an interesting observation. I'm not sure which comes first, 343i's architecture or Spartan Abilities, but it's certainly true that having such a generous array of movement mechanics will significantly constrain the level design, and hence the architecture. But I find it hard to believe that this wouldn't be completely avoidable with more creative level design.
But when it comes to map creation why make ot harder than it has to be when clearly population wise people enjoyed sprintless Halo more.
Frossst Bite - Please don't post multiple time in a row. If you need to add more information or quote other users, you can edit your last post. Thanks
I'm still on the "no Sprint, bring back Classic Halo movement" train.
Im hoping we get a beta, though it seems to be getting late for that if they want to make any changes to player feedback, so the community can share their thoughts. We shall see
J HOVA 8 wrote:
Im hoping we get a beta, though it seems to be getting late for that if they want to make any changes to player feedback, so the community can share their thoughts. We shall see
Betas are designed for finding minor bugs, testing the infrastructure, and overall balancing. The core mechanics that are in the game at the beta stage will remain in the final release.
tsassi wrote:
J HOVA 8 wrote:
Betas are designed for finding minor bugs, testing the infrastructure, and overall balancing. The core mechanics that are in the game at the beta stage will remain in the final release.
Not to start an argument (honestly , you are the last person on these forums I want to argue with) , but are you speaking of the glorified demos we have been getting on xbox since day 1 that have appropriated the word Beta test? Or actual Beta tests that used to happen long before the game went "gold"?
If you are speaking of the "glorified demos" beta test , you are absolutely correct.
In the past a beta test was used to test out different mechanics so players could give feedback on game design with time to implement changes , this form has never been on Xbox however outside of the early access program.
Sunsdune wrote:
tsassi wrote:
J HOVA 8 wrote:
Not to start an argument (honestly , you are the last person on these forums I want to argue with) , but are you speaking of the glorified demos we have been getting on xbox since day 1 that have appropriated the word Beta test? Or actual Beta tests that used to happen long before the game went "gold"?
If you are speaking of the "glorified demos" beta test , you are absolutely correct.
In the past a beta test was used to test out different mechanics so players could give feedback on game design with time to implement changes , this form has never been on Xbox however outside of the early access program.
I'm speaking of the general concept of "beta stage" as it is commonly used in software development, and game development in particular. I mean, if we're going to the semantics of the term "beta test", I'm sure there there are variations in its usage among developers, and I'm sure there are instances when a game officially in the beta stage has had core parts changed. However, generally speaking, a product in beta stage would be near feature complete. Which doesn't mean inability to act on user feedback entirely, but core gameplay mechanics wouldn't be added or removed in a game unless the beta turned out to be a total disaster, in which case the development process would probably be rolled back and the release delayed significantly. Bugs, infrastructure, and polishing of the features are generally the goal of a beta test. Feedback on core concepts would've happened at an earlier stage in development.
Lol ok bye then but if halo is going to simply become another run of the mill shooter like cod then bye halo
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post comments that are discriminatory in nature.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
After playing the Halo 5 mythic playlist I could see that being a good base gameplay for Infinite. Very fun.
tsassi wrote:
I've seen it argued H5 is slower paced than the older games? but never felt it that way
In Halo 5, you are probably performing more actions per minute, because of constatly having to use Spartan Abilities and whatnot. However, people often mean pace as the rate at which the game progresses, which in Halo 5 isn't demonstrably faster than in classic games. It comes down to what you mean by pace.

Another thing (and this might just been a thing only I feel) is that H5 gameplay seems to, in some of the dev made maps, cause level architecture, especially in human environments, to be quite bizarre looking. Just like big weird objects and shapes put there for the sake of clambering over that make it hard to imagine humans walking around in these locations. Whereas with classic movement the levels could look more build for purpose.
This is an interesting observation. I'm not sure which comes first, 343i's architecture or Spartan Abilities, but it's certainly true that having such a generous array of movement mechanics will significantly constrain the level design, and hence the architecture. But I find it hard to believe that this wouldn't be completely avoidable with more creative level design.
But when it comes to map creation why make ot harder than it has to be when clearly population wise people enjoyed sprintless Halo more.
Is this fact? Not taking a position, just wondering what informed your statement.
Honestly if we had the technology for it, I would prefer realistic movement mechanics like in Ready Player One. I am getting so sick of being bound by a controller.
How about 343 removes sprint all together. Increase the base movement speed and keep thrusters. Slide, spartan charge(i guess), ground pound, and clamber should stay. You should only be able to spartan charge and slide if you thrust first. It makes sense because thrusters are a quick burst of speed. Ground pound needs to be harder to hit and clamber should be smoother. Just some ideas🤷🏾‍♂️.
tsassi wrote:

Is this fact? Not taking a position, just wondering what informed your statement.
No its not their just taking the population numbers of halo 3 comparing them to every halo game that came after and saying, "this proves that people only like Halo 3s gameplay." Of course they would never compare halo 2s population and sales numbers even though it's gameplay is practically identical cuz that would go against their agenda.
I dont see the point in "Oldschool" gameplay for Halo Infinite. Maybe as an Bonus feature for MP but i expect the main MP at least be as advancaed as Halo 5. Im not a big Fan of Halo 5 but i dont see the point in Making Halo 2/3 Style game when we can already play it in MCC anyway.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 161
  4. 162
  5. 163
  6. 164
  7. 165
  8. ...
  9. 169