Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The return of classic movement mechanics?

OP A So So Sniper

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 167
  4. 168
  5. 169
  6. 170
  7. 171
  8. ...
  9. 188
I like the new mythic game mode as the base model for halo infinite. The changes id like to see is #1 for the aim magnetism to return to the smooth mechanics from the older games. #2 keep thrusters, stabilizers, ground pound and clamber. (Sparten Charge Out and Sprint OUT). If you could somehow have the thrusters happen with your gun still drawn, a slower thrust, while still aiming, would be perfect. I would also nerf the ground pound. I like the mythic map designs where u can make jumps without clamber, but for the sake of speed and mobility, it should stay. I would even increase the base speed that we see in mythic. If sprint is gone then sparten base speed should be very fast. This would allow the game to play fast without sprint. Finally i would like to see aim down sight removed, and have the magnum stay a 5 shot starting weapon, but have the Halo C.E model and redicle(not the 3 shot power). H5 magnum fights were to sweaty and erratic.. I think i speak for most when we also want h2 BR returned.(real h2 BR, not halo 5 version thats a smaller redicle with H5 magnetism).
I much prefer the Halo 3 style of movement without sprint. No AA either.
I actually would like AAs over equipment and SA, just not implemented like Reach did. If they work like power ups that you to fight for on the map, why not? In that case you should be able to tell what AA the other players are using though by making them somehow visible on the armour. I think I also would cut sprint and replace it with a speed boost. Same - obviously - goes for armor lock. Loudouts in any case should be limited to Invasion and Forge!

What about this idea?
I actually would like AAs over equipment and SA, just not implemented like Reach did. If they work like power ups that you to fight for on the map, why not? In that case you should be able to tell what AA the other players are using though by making them somehow visible on the armour. I think I also would cut sprint and replace it with a speed boost. Same - obviously - goes for armor lock. Loudouts in any case should be limited to Invasion and Forge!

What about this idea?
I think that's a fair balance between classic and the more modern approach of Halo 4/5. It also gives Custom Games and Action Sack a whole boatload of options, which have been pretty much lacking since Reach, especially if the AAs have some button combos like with Halo 5's Spartan Abilities.
no keep running
stckrboy wrote:
Eh Frosty - Please don't post multiple time in a row. If you need to add more information or quote other users, you can edit your last post. Thanks
And If I am replying to multiple different people on different topics you can't let it slide?
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show

This post has been hidden.

I think ADE MacBamboo01's idea to turn Armor Abilities into Map Pickup/Powerups is good. It removes the inconsistencies of loadouts/spawn jank but gives the player more interesting/dynamic things to fight for on the map. Worst case scenario, the abilities could just be removed from the individual maps.

Ideally, 343 would design more interesting Abilities than those in Reach/4, as most of those were just filler or gimmicks. Jetpack and Sprint are the only ones that added new gameplay, and most of us agree those shouldn't be base mechanics. Pickups are a great compromise, IMO.
I'd kind of like to see them experiment with a faster base movement speed than we got in previous games. Not radically higher, but noticeably.

Bit yeah, Sprint doesn't play well with Halo, never has and never will. Thrust could be tooled to work though, gotta find the right speed for it to balance though so its not useless, but also doesn't let you escape around corners as easily as it does in 5. And some other features like sliding after a thrust, clambering but it uses your thrusters and consumes the charge, or stabilize but it also consumes your thrust charge could still fit in well (a very small double jump could replace stabilize too, something that's more about getting a little more air time/distance than a significant height boost).
I don’t really care what movement mechanics they implement, as long as it is a good game
Fos Kuvol wrote:
I'd kind of like to see them experiment with a faster base movement speed than we got in previous games. Not radically higher, but noticeably.

Bit yeah, Sprint doesn't play well with Halo, never has and never will. Thrust could be tooled to work though, gotta find the right speed for it to balance though so its not useless, but also doesn't let you escape around corners as easily as it does in 5. And some other features like sliding after a thrust, clambering but it uses your thrusters and consumes the charge, or stabilize but it also consumes your thrust charge could still fit in well (a very small double jump could replace stabilize too, something that's more about getting a little more air time/distance than a significant height boost).
I'm fine with everything you just said, as long as they're all pickups placed around the map to be fought over.
baaask wrote:
Fos Kuvol wrote:

I'm fine with everything you just said, as long as they're all pickups placed around the map to be fought over.
Nah, these would all need to be baseline abilities. Thrust tooled correctly, slide, clamber, and stabilizers really fit into Halo. But instead of making them mobility options, they should be balanced so that they're more useful for mixing up your strafes. Making them all consume your Thruster charge is a great way to limit how they're used, since you might not want to give up your thrust just to clamber a ledge for instance. Other nerfs could be things like you can only clamber after you've descended from your jump a certain amount, so it no longer lets you reach places you can't crouch jump to, or reducing Thrust's acceleration so that it doesn't offer a speed boost, so much as an instant directional change for faster strafing, or air control. Slide in tandem wouldn't speed you up, just give you normal speed while crouching for the duration. And Stabilizers can either last a significantly shorter time, or as I said be a very small double jump to give you a bit more distance or air time.

What SHOULD be pickups are Armor Abilities. And I think giving them multiple functions and limited uses so they feel more like powerups is the way to go. It would be a great way to re-incorporate favorite Armor Abilities, Spartan Abilities, and Equipment, by mixing similar ones together in a way that makes sense. A prime example is the Jetpack, not only would you be able to fly, but your Jetpack fuel could temporarily replace your thruster charge. Letting you thrust, clamber, and stabilize without a cooldown until the fuel runs out. Ground Pound could even be a function specific to the Jetpack, but it would completely drain your fuel when you use it. Having all of these chipping away at your fuel as you use them so that using it a moderate amount may last you 30 seconds. While spamming away you'd only get 10-15 out of it.

Other combinations I could see happen is a Shield Modulator letting you either deploy a Bubble Shield, or a Hardlight Shield depending on whether you tap, or hold the abilitiy button. A Bubble Shield completely drains the charge of the powerup, but the Hardlight drains it over time so you can re-use it if you use it sparingly. The Overshield could be updated so that if you want, you can enter Armor Lock, but it will consume your entire Overshield to do it. And I HATE Armor Lock, but can't deny that it made for some truly fun moments in Reach and wouldn't have ruined the game if it wasn't a spawn item. Camo could come with the ability to activate Promethean Vision while you're invisible, but doing so makes the charge drain twice as fast as normal. Stuff like that.
Personally, I would like to see all of the spartan abilities from halo 5 gone with the exception of the hover function and just increase base movement speed.

Clamber takes away the skill of timing your jumps and crouching at the right time mid jump to reach certain platforms. Sprint is what caused Halo maps to become overly large compared to old Halo maps. Sliding would also go without sprint. Spartan bash is just something I'm personally not a fan of with the way it pushes the enemy back and pretty much guarantees you an easy headshot unless you wiff it. The ground pound made it too easy to kill enemies in one hit from above. Thrusters made it too easy for players to avoid being punished for their misakes when they peak out too much or push too far.

Instead of seeing more advanced movement, I would prefer to see more interactive maps to evolve gameplay similar to Halo 2 Anniversary. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but honestly I think Halo 2 and 3 play far better than any of the Halo games that follow them and even in 2020 are more enjoyable to play.

Don't get me wrong, i'll be buying Infinite no matter what. But I would like to see a return to more classic gameplay.
HI is going to have sprint according to one of the most reliable leakers of recent history
Quote:
Sprint is part of Halo for 3 games straight now. It's not going anywhere and will be important for the overall gameplay workflow given both the campaign and various multiplayer modes will see a bigger scale. As always in a Halo game though, customize modes/lobbies to your needs.
Pack it up boys, maybe next time, or never...
HI is going to have sprint according to one of the most reliable leakers of recent history
Quote:
Sprint is part of Halo for 3 games straight now. It's not going anywhere and will be important for the overall gameplay workflow given both the campaign and various multiplayer modes will see a bigger scale. As always in a Halo game though, customize modes/lobbies to your needs.
Pack it up boys, maybe next time, or never...
I just read that, and he replied hidden and to the guy that said "Wait for the huge disappointment when its revealed it has sprint and plays like h5 lol" I can only pray that person is wrong. I kinda already faced the facts that we'll unfortunately never have another Halo game without sprint but I'm more scared about the reply to the guy who said it plays like Halo 5. I don't know any leaks this person has done in recent history but we'll have to continue to wait and see till we see it first hand.
Clamber takes away the skill of timing your jumps and crouching at the right time mid jump to reach certain platforms.
Yes and no.

Jumps could be set so that well timed / crouched jumps are rewarded with a clean landing and instant battle readiness.

Poorly timed / missed jumps are penalised with a clamber (slow / delay to shoot).

I'm much happier with that then completely missing the jump.
Darwi wrote:
Clamber takes away the skill of timing your jumps and crouching at the right time mid jump to reach certain platforms.
Yes and no.

Jumps could be set so that well timed / crouched jumps are rewarded with a clean landing and instant battle readiness.

Poorly timed / missed jumps are penalised with a clamber (slow / delay to shoot).

I'm sure there are a lot of players who'd be happy with a short timed auto-target feature which always will land a hit, because hitting while being unable to aim for a short duration of time is more favourable than missing a crucial shot.

Also, what's the risk / reward with clamber?
You've significantly reduced the risk of traversing the map when you get a second chance on even the most simplest of jumps, which do not require clamber at all. Hazards regarding jumps are reduced, and penalisation is on a whole lighter level.
Darwi wrote:
Yes and no.

You would need to make clamber reasonably punishable. In the case of H5, the animation of clamber is much too quick and your hitbox is not exposed enough.
My (subjective) feeling is that it penalises you about the right amount.

If you feel the need to increase the skill gap it could be slowed a bit.

Just don't go back to the clunky mechanism of completely missing the jump.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 167
  4. 168
  5. 169
  6. 170
  7. 171
  8. ...
  9. 188