Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The return of classic movement mechanics?

OP A So So Sniper

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 178
  4. 179
  5. 180
  6. 181
  7. 182
  8. ...
  9. 205
Im going to say this one last time If Halo Infinite is just Halo 3.5, movement speed increase, Lackluster story bland combat mechanic just to pander to the nostalgic crowd then ITS A NO BUY FROM ME HAVE FUN THE REST OF YOU (sorry about the all caps thing)

Halo 5 game-play style however call of duty like isn't a bad thing to me which is the gold standard of a FPS just NEED better weapon gun-play that pattern firing sequence grinds my gears.
Fortunately the majority of us want a Halo game. Even most causals agree and they're the ones that rake in the most cash. There's plenty of other games out there with sprint and abilities. Also, Halo 3 was in first place over COD at one point.
I'm fairly certain Foxxtrot is just trying to get a rise out of people, but that's a good point, what is the majority opinion here? I'm genuinely not sure, and honestly I'm afraid Infinite will end up as a half hearted attempt at a compromise which will end up ticking both sides off. It'll probably play like that Halo 5 Mythic Playlist; it'll have thrusters, clamber and ground pound which'll tick off the classic fans, and it won't have sprint, sliding or spartan charge which'll tick off modern fans. It's a lose/lose situation here, and frankly that terrifies me.
This site may seem like an echo chamber at times but from what I've seen, most people prefer the older style. At the least even newer players want ground pound, charge, and even clamber removed, though they want thrusters and sprint to stay. Sprint wouldn't even be a problem if you could always shoot, throw grenades, and melee, ie your gun is always raised. I don't like the thruster mechanic at all, but to each his own. Just make it a power up on the map, or have it drain your shields after using it since it's using power from your armor. I don't think hover is bad. You have to position properly to use it without getting killed.
Ok let me say this one more I'm not fan of classic halo or classic anything if classic your thing good i don't care.
This forum is by far toxic as there is a lot of this majority want this vs the minority when there are how many active thread poster here ??????? Can one track this number NO.
The posting here only looks like its engaging a wide range opinion but only comes as entitle whining about this nostalgia
Ok i don't how with upermangenment frequent the forum but man can see why
If I'm not please i will be voting with my wallet and NOT be buying Halo Infinite simple have a nice day.
I really feel that Halo 5's MP has the best movement of the franchise. I actually FEEL like a spartan; agile, fast, ability to react fast etc. Iv been playing Halo since its originals release and don't get me wrong, it was the original franchise that made me fall in love with Halo, but i could not go back to sluggish movement. It was good at the time because it was all we knew, but it feels so much more fast paced and action packed than ever before in Halo 5 (IMO).

My favourite feature by far is Smart-Link, i think its possibly the coolest feature in the game. I like how every weapon has its on unique Smart-Link design. I really hope they bring it back in Halo Infinite. The good thing about the Smart-Link, its really just an option because i feel the accuracy of the weapons remains the same with only a slight increase in accuracy for longer distances :)

Whatever direction the movements goes, ill still be buying Halo Infinite. It'd feel wrong if i didn't. Ill be saddened if they remove the current movement design of the Spartans, but i'm sure ill still enjoy what Halo Infinite has to offer.
APOME 1 wrote:
I really feel that Halo 5's MP has the best movement of the franchise. I actually FEEL like a spartan; agile, fast, ability to react fast etc. Iv been playing Halo since its originals release and don't get me wrong, it was the original franchise that made me fall in love with Halo, but i could not go back to sluggish movement. It was good at the time because it was all we knew, but it feels so much more fast paced and action packed than ever before in Halo 5 (IMO).

My favourite feature by far is Smart-Link, i think its possibly the coolest feature in the game. I like how every weapon has its on unique Smart-Link design. I really hope they bring it back in Halo Infinite. The good thing about the Smart-Link, its really just an option because i feel the accuracy of the weapons remains the same with only a slight increase in accuracy for longer distances :)

Whatever direction the movements goes, ill still be buying Halo Infinite. It'd feel wrong if i didn't. Ill be saddened if they remove the current movement design of the Spartans, but i'm sure ill still enjoy what Halo Infinite has to offer.
Amen, brother. I'm really hoping Infinite is a more refined Halo 5. No spartan charge, no ground pound, keep thrust, slide, sprint & clamber. I'm 27 and have been playing Halo since the CE campaign & I cannot go back to classic. It's just outdated, boring & sluggish. Halo 5's gameplay mechanics are superior.
Svbtlety wrote:
APOME 1 wrote:
I really feel that Halo 5's MP has the best movement of the franchise. I actually FEEL like a spartan; agile, fast, ability to react fast etc. Iv been playing Halo since its originals release and don't get me wrong, it was the original franchise that made me fall in love with Halo, but i could not go back to sluggish movement. It was good at the time because it was all we knew, but it feels so much more fast paced and action packed than ever before in Halo 5 (IMO).

My favourite feature by far is Smart-Link, i think its possibly the coolest feature in the game. I like how every weapon has its on unique Smart-Link design. I really hope they bring it back in Halo Infinite. The good thing about the Smart-Link, its really just an option because i feel the accuracy of the weapons remains the same with only a slight increase in accuracy for longer distances :)

Whatever direction the movements goes, ill still be buying Halo Infinite. It'd feel wrong if i didn't. Ill be saddened if they remove the current movement design of the Spartans, but i'm sure ill still enjoy what Halo Infinite has to offer.
Amen, brother. I'm really hoping Infinite is a more refined Halo 5. No spartan charge, no ground pound, keep thrust, slide, sprint & clamber. I'm 27 and have been playing Halo since the CE campaign & I cannot go back to classic. It's just outdated, boring & sluggish. Halo 5's gameplay mechanics are superior.
See i feel clamber is a must. What spartan can't climb an obstacle? If you have read the books (which are amazing, im currently on the last book of the KILO-FIVE trilogy), spartan movement is described and depicted similar to Halo 5's movement. I just don't see how it would be a smart choice. If they did something similar to MW 2019 reboot (the way that games feels and looks is outstanding btw), i think they'd hit the nail on the head.
Guess we will have to wait and see...
APOME 1 wrote:
Svbtlety wrote:
APOME 1 wrote:
I really feel that Halo 5's MP has the best movement of the franchise. I actually FEEL like a spartan; agile, fast, ability to react fast etc. Iv been playing Halo since its originals release and don't get me wrong, it was the original franchise that made me fall in love with Halo, but i could not go back to sluggish movement. It was good at the time because it was all we knew, but it feels so much more fast paced and action packed than ever before in Halo 5 (IMO).

My favourite feature by far is Smart-Link, i think its possibly the coolest feature in the game. I like how every weapon has its on unique Smart-Link design. I really hope they bring it back in Halo Infinite. The good thing about the Smart-Link, its really just an option because i feel the accuracy of the weapons remains the same with only a slight increase in accuracy for longer distances :)

Whatever direction the movements goes, ill still be buying Halo Infinite. It'd feel wrong if i didn't. Ill be saddened if they remove the current movement design of the Spartans, but i'm sure ill still enjoy what Halo Infinite has to offer.
Amen, brother. I'm really hoping Infinite is a more refined Halo 5. No spartan charge, no ground pound, keep thrust, slide, sprint & clamber. I'm 27 and have been playing Halo since the CE campaign & I cannot go back to classic. It's just outdated, boring & sluggish. Halo 5's gameplay mechanics are superior.
See i feel clamber is a must. What spartan can't climb an obstacle? If you have read the books (which are amazing, im currently on the last book of the KILO-FIVE trilogy), spartan movement is described and depicted similar to Halo 5's movement. I just don't see how it would be a smart choice. If they did something similar to MW 2019 reboot (the way that games feels and looks is outstanding btw), i think they'd hit the nail on the head.
Guess we will have to wait and see...
Basing what we can and cant do on the books is a very dangerous game. The books also say Spartans can accurately fire while Sprinting (and the first cutscene of Halo 5 shows that), are near silent while moving (which Halo 4 and 5 replicate with massive thumping noises) and are masters of CQB (which translates to whacking a dude with your fist, lovely).

We've had this discussion on this thread, but Clamber is only a necessity of map design. You'll notice that your jump height is severely reduced in Halo 5 compared to Halo 2 or Halo 3? Its because they want you to use Clamber. If you're intended to make a jump in Halo 2 or 3, the height of the object is based around your jump height and you will make the jump. Or, you can use Crouch Jumps or the environment to help you make those jumps.

I would argue that the type of gameplay we want is more in line with DOOM 2016, which was much like classic Halo (two weapon limit notwithstanding) you move extremely fast in that and positioning is vital, much like the classic Halo experiences. We want something like that, but with something innovative, like the Equipment or Dual Wielding that radically changed the game (but not the core) of the original Halo games. I mean, if you go back to Halo 2 Anniversary on PC with 60 FPS, you'll feel extremely fast, almost as fast as Halo 5.
Delta5931 wrote:
APOME 1 wrote:
Svbtlety wrote:
APOME 1 wrote:
I really feel that Halo 5's MP has the best movement of the franchise. I actually FEEL like a spartan; agile, fast, ability to react fast etc. Iv been playing Halo since its originals release and don't get me wrong, it was the original franchise that made me fall in love with Halo, but i could not go back to sluggish movement. It was good at the time because it was all we knew, but it feels so much more fast paced and action packed than ever before in Halo 5 (IMO).

My favourite feature by far is Smart-Link, i think its possibly the coolest feature in the game. I like how every weapon has its on unique Smart-Link design. I really hope they bring it back in Halo Infinite. The good thing about the Smart-Link, its really just an option because i feel the accuracy of the weapons remains the same with only a slight increase in accuracy for longer distances :)

Whatever direction the movements goes, ill still be buying Halo Infinite. It'd feel wrong if i didn't. Ill be saddened if they remove the current movement design of the Spartans, but i'm sure ill still enjoy what Halo Infinite has to offer.
Amen, brother. I'm really hoping Infinite is a more refined Halo 5. No spartan charge, no ground pound, keep thrust, slide, sprint & clamber. I'm 27 and have been playing Halo since the CE campaign & I cannot go back to classic. It's just outdated, boring & sluggish. Halo 5's gameplay mechanics are superior.
See i feel clamber is a must. What spartan can't climb an obstacle? If you have read the books (which are amazing, im currently on the last book of the KILO-FIVE trilogy), spartan movement is described and depicted similar to Halo 5's movement. I just don't see how it would be a smart choice. If they did something similar to MW 2019 reboot (the way that games feels and looks is outstanding btw), i think they'd hit the nail on the head.
Guess we will have to wait and see...
Basing what we can and cant do on the books is a very dangerous game. The books also say Spartans can accurately fire while Sprinting (and the first cutscene of Halo 5 shows that), are near silent while moving (which Halo 4 and 5 replicate with massive thumping noises) and are masters of CQB (which translates to whacking a dude with your fist, lovely).

We've had this discussion on this thread, but Clamber is only a necessity of map design. You'll notice that your jump height is severely reduced in Halo 5 compared to Halo 2 or Halo 3? Its because they want you to use Clamber. If you're intended to make a jump in Halo 2 or 3, the height of the object is based around your jump height and you will make the jump. Or, you can use Crouch Jumps or the environment to help you make those jumps.

I would argue that the type of gameplay we want is more in line with DOOM 2016, which was much like classic Halo (two weapon limit notwithstanding) you move extremely fast in that and positioning is vital, much like the classic Halo experiences. We want something like that, but with something innovative, like the Equipment or Dual Wielding that radically changed the game (but not the core) of the original Halo games. I mean, if you go back to Halo 2 Anniversary on PC with 60 FPS, you'll feel extremely fast, almost as fast as Halo 5.
I totally get what you mean. The books are almost a description of what a cut scene in a game would be like. I love the DOOM reboots, they are really fast paced.
Delta5931 wrote:
You'll notice that your jump height is severely reduced in Halo 5 compared to Halo 2 or Halo 3?
The default jump height in Halo 5 is about 0.90 world units, whereas in Halo 3 it's about 1.1. The crouch jump in Halo 5 is about 1.15 and 1.3 in Halo 3. For comparison, Clamber in Halo 5 gets you to about 1.6.

Just thought I'd clarify that so that we can all adapt this to our personal notion of "severely".
tsassi wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
You'll notice that your jump height is severely reduced in Halo 5 compared to Halo 2 or Halo 3?
The default jump height in Halo 5 is about 0.90 world units, whereas in Halo 3 it's about 1.1. The crouch jump in Halo 5 is about 1.15 and 1.3 in Halo 3. For comparison, Clamber in Halo 5 gets you to about 1.6.

Just thoughout I'd clarify that so that we can all adapt this to our personal notion of "severely".
I base it more in feel of the jump, but thanks for the clarification. Isn't gravity also lower for Halo 3 than it is for Halo 5?
Delta5931 wrote:
tsassi wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
You'll notice that your jump height is severely reduced in Halo 5 compared to Halo 2 or Halo 3?
The default jump height in Halo 5 is about 0.90 world units, whereas in Halo 3 it's about 1.1. The crouch jump in Halo 5 is about 1.15 and 1.3 in Halo 3. For comparison, Clamber in Halo 5 gets you to about 1.6.

Just thoughout I'd clarify that so that we can all adapt this to our personal notion of "severely".
I base it more in feel of the jump, but thanks for the clarification. Isn't gravity also lower for Halo 3 than it is for Halo 5?
Don't know about that. Much harder to test for. It certainly feels like that, but feelings can betray.
Svbtlety wrote:
APOME 1 wrote:
I really feel that Halo 5's MP has the best movement of the franchise. I actually FEEL like a spartan; agile, fast, ability to react fast etc. Iv been playing Halo since its originals release and don't get me wrong, it was the original franchise that made me fall in love with Halo, but i could not go back to sluggish movement. It was good at the time because it was all we knew, but it feels so much more fast paced and action packed than ever before in Halo 5 (IMO).

My favourite feature by far is Smart-Link, i think its possibly the coolest feature in the game. I like how every weapon has its on unique Smart-Link design. I really hope they bring it back in Halo Infinite. The good thing about the Smart-Link, its really just an option because i feel the accuracy of the weapons remains the same with only a slight increase in accuracy for longer distances :)

Whatever direction the movements goes, ill still be buying Halo Infinite. It'd feel wrong if i didn't. Ill be saddened if they remove the current movement design of the Spartans, but i'm sure ill still enjoy what Halo Infinite has to offer.
Amen, brother. I'm really hoping Infinite is a more refined Halo 5. No spartan charge, no ground pound, keep thrust, slide, sprint & clamber. I'm 27 and have been playing Halo since the CE campaign & I cannot go back to classic. It's just outdated, boring & sluggish. Halo 5's gameplay mechanics are superior.
So you were 6 when CE came out... I'm surprised you even remember it that well at that age lol

People who don't want the sprint animation for example, don't want the EXACT same gameplay or mechanics of say Halo 1,2 or 3. Far from it actually.

Ok let me say this one more I'm not fan of classic halo or classic anything if classic your thing good i don't care.
This forum is by far toxic as there is a lot of this majority want this vs the minority when there are how many active thread poster here ??????? Can one track this number NO.
The posting here only looks like its engaging a wide range opinion but only comes as entitle whining about this nostalgia
Ok i don't how with upermangenment frequent the forum but man can see why
If I'm not please i will be voting with my wallet and NOT be buying Halo Infinite simple have a nice day.
That's fine that you like something different man. No one here is telling you you can't...but I don't see how people here are toxic!?!?! I haven't seen anyone be toxic to you or anything in the back and forth a you've had. You just have different opinions and that's fine. People are telling you what they like/want and have given reasons as to why. At times offered explanations as to why x wouldn't be just as good or better. It's called discussion lol If you don't agree with it, that's fine but that's what discussions are. Bouncing ideas back and forth and explaining why you think x is better than say y. If in the end you don't agree, Well then you don't agree, simple as that :) I used to be PRO clamber for example. Then I had a lot of discussions about it with a lot people and over time I've now decided that I think a double jump tied to thrusters makes more sense. A boost jump if you will.

I find it funny how so many people that share your opinion seem to think that people who don't want the sprint animation for example, are telling 343I to go back to the EXACT same gameplay/mechanics of Halo 1-3 for Halo Infinite lol that couldn't be farther from the truth. Do any of you people actually READ what people say? (This isn't directed at anyone in particular, just saying in general here)

I'm sorry if you feel like people have been toxic to you but I really don't see it.
Is anybody here...indifferent?

I know it sounds crazy, but I really like classic movement. I also really like Halo 5's advanced movement.

It's a win for me either way for Infinite whether it is one or the other.
MrDeath130 wrote:
Is anybody here...indifferent?

I know it sounds crazy, but I really like classic movement. I also really like Halo 5's advanced movement.

It's a win for me either way for Infinite whether it is one or the other.
I mean, if somebody is indifferent, I'd imagine they don't have much interest in this thread. Can't imagine many reasons for being here other than defending one's preferred style.
tsassi wrote:
MrDeath130 wrote:
Is anybody here...indifferent?

I know it sounds crazy, but I really like classic movement. I also really like Halo 5's advanced movement.

It's a win for me either way for Infinite whether it is one or the other.
I mean, if somebody is indifferent, I'd imagine they don't have much interest in this thread. Can't imagine many reasons for being here other than defending one's preferred style.
I am certainly interested to see what 343 does with Halo. I guess what I mean is sprint vs no sprint, clamber, thrusters, evasion, etc. I am fine with it either way, just curious to see if there are other players who enjoy both styles and why one way always has to be defended over the other.
no return of classic movements, H4 movements were good but H5 had the best movements, lets move forward and not backwards
R3conRex wrote:
no return of classic movements, H4 movements were good but H5 had the best movements, lets move forward and not backwards
Game design isn't a linear path. There is no "forward" or "backward" it is just a constantly spiraling web of design. Older mechanics don't inherently lose value just because they are older or even just uncommon at a particular point in time.

If you enjoy Halo 5's movement mechanics I'm happy for you, but you don't have to frame the return of classic mechanics as going "backwards" just to justify your own preferences.
WerepyreND wrote:
R3conRex wrote:
no return of classic movements, H4 movements were good but H5 had the best movements, lets move forward and not backwards
Game design isn't a linear path. There is no "forward" or "backward" it is just a constantly spirally web of design. Older mechanics don't inherently lose value just because they are older or even just uncommon at a particular point in time.

If you enjoy Halo 5's movement mechanics I'm happy for you, but you don't have to frame the return of classic mechanics as going "backwards" just to justify your own preferences.
I see your point of view and apparently I like the classic movements, since i kept playing on H2 H3 and Reach more than playing on H5 so in so
WerepyreND wrote:
R3conRex wrote:
no return of classic movements, H4 movements were good but H5 had the best movements, lets move forward and not backwards
Game design isn't a linear path. There is no "forward" or "backward" it is just a constantly spirally web of design. Older mechanics don't inherently lose value just because they are older or even just uncommon at a particular point in time.

If you enjoy Halo 5's movement mechanics I'm happy for you, but you don't have to frame the return of classic mechanics as going "backwards" just to justify your own preferences.
Going by his standard you could look at Quake 3 gameplay and say where did we go wrong. Admittedly i do that haha, but for game depth. If quick fluid movement is key then we were doing it right in the 90s before sprint anyway.
To regain (and sustain) any type of popularity, Halo infinite needs to return to classic movement style. I’m not opposed to a thrust built in or a “speed boost” power up like H2A has. However, sprint needs to go. It’s been argued for years how sprint ruins map design and gameplay. Return to the golden triangle and halo will flourish in the Xbox series X generation.
BTB Bill wrote:
To regain (and sustain) any type of popularity, Halo infinite needs to return to classic movement style.
[citation needed]
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 178
  4. 179
  5. 180
  6. 181
  7. 182
  8. ...
  9. 205