Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The return of classic movement mechanics?

OP A So So Sniper

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 193
  4. 194
  5. 195
  6. 196
  7. 197
  8. ...
  9. 203
Eromancy wrote:
Definitely not a braindead logic. Sprint should 100 per cent stay, this is not 2009.
Are you using the "current year" kind of argument? In the very same year in which four out of the five most popular shooters don't even have sprint?!
(Fortnite, Overwatch, Valorant, Doom Eternal and CSGO if you're curious.)

You do understand why that doesn't work, right? Especially not in 2020.
Someone else will correct me if I'm wrong, but to the point, Fortnite has sprint, one character in Overwatch does and Counter Strike does with the knife.
The point for Overwatch and CS:GO is that it isn't a universal mechanic. I also wouldn't necessarily call the Knife sprinting, seeing as it's only a little faster than Pistol speed (generally). On top of that, the maps in CS:GO appear to be designed around the speed without the Knife than it is with the Knife.
CaNateyen wrote:
Darwi wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:
Darwi wrote:
I'm with you.

Dodge a grenade. Duck out of a sniper's sights. Get past the guy with the sword / shottie.

Plus, just in a gun battle, they give you a chance to even the score if you were shot first.

I'm (reluctantly) happy to put sprint and clamber on the negotiating table... but not thrusters.
Honestly, I think thrust is a bigger problem than any other ability. It has made driving vehicles in halo 5 much less fun. I feel like that kind of thing should be some kind of equipment that you have to pick up on the map.
I do actually like your idea of using shields. If it is attached to everyone, I would actually be more ok with it. I still don't like thrusting at all but I like that idea.
The number of issues brought up by thruster don't hold a candle to those caused by sprint.
CaNateyen wrote:
Darwi wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:
Darwi wrote:
I'm with you.

Dodge a grenade. Duck out of a sniper's sights. Get past the guy with the sword / shottie.

Plus, just in a gun battle, they give you a chance to even the score if you were shot first.

I'm (reluctantly) happy to put sprint and clamber on the negotiating table... but not thrusters.
Honestly, I think thrust is a bigger problem than any other ability. It has made driving vehicles in halo 5 much less fun. I feel like that kind of thing should be some kind of equipment that you have to pick up on the map.
I do actually like your idea of using shields. If it is attached to everyone, I would actually be more ok with it. I still don't like thrusting at all but I like that idea.
The number of issues brought up by thruster don't hold a candle to those caused by sprint.
I agree. Thrust still bothers me more in a lot of ways though. But yeah, thrust doesn't change the maps like sprint does and it doesn't cause you to be immediately disadvantaged as soon as you run into them on the battlefield. It's definitely personal though, whenever I see someone thrust it makes me want to quit the game. (I only play halo 5 when my little sister convinces me to play with her)
CaNateyen wrote:
Darwi wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:
Darwi wrote:
I'm with you.

You can accomplish the same thing by simply giving player's a more snappy, responsive strafe and making shooting more difficult by lower aim assist, decreasing magnetism, and by implementing 'projectile' weapons in the vast majority of the sandbox.

You can make a game that allows you to do all of those without needing any extra mobility mechanics.
To a certain extent.

To make the strafe fast enough to get out of the way of a grenade / vehicle / shotgun blast... at some stage you start to take away from the feel of toe-to-toe combat.

Personally I would keep the thruster. Make it so that it uses your shield energy to work - so that there is more of a risk/reward to using it (so yes, you get to avoid the rocket coming at you - but you are now weaker for the next part of the combat).

And while we are at it... I would make you turn to face the direction you are thrusting. This would make it less useful in a direct combat situation - you can thrust out of the way but not necessarily keep your eyes on the prize so to speak. But it also gives you a combat option of turning around 180 degrees to face what is coming behind you (albeit at the expense of some shield energy).
Agree 100%. It makes the game feel like a twitch shooter and a fight is won or lost depending on whether or not you thrusted in the right direction. Your strafe doesn't even have to be that good.
i do not want old movement its way too boring and its not fun you dont feel like a super solider, halo 5 had a perfect implement of movement using SKILL BASED MOVEMENT and some fun armor abilities not used in competitive.
Jovian wrote:
i do not want old movement its way too boring and its not fun you dont feel like a super solider, halo 5 had a perfect implement of movement using SKILL BASED MOVEMENT and some fun armor abilities not used in competitive.
Old halo had the skilled based movement whats your point
I do like the idea in having sprint removed but I also like how halo reach had armour ability's so you could have sprint but you could also have a jetpack instead. Although I wasn't a fan of armour lock or active camo. The reason active camo bothered me was because it use to jam your motion sensor, the actual invisibility didn't bother me as you can clearly see it if your paying enough attention to the game. But maybe they could have armour abilitys but replace armour lock with some other cool ability or just have all new armour ability's all together.
I am looking forward to Halo infinity as it has a new lead writer from Halo 5 and I believe with the feedback they have had the last 2 halo games then they are going to be going back to Halo routes.
Yay... It's July (at least here in Australia).

We'll know sometime in the next 31 days what direction Halo is taking.

Good luck everyone... I hope you find a Halo that you can love...
We sprintin bois ain't no issue with that.
We sprintin bois ain't no issue with that.
eh agree to disagree
Hey what do you guys believe to be the perfect middle ground between classic and modern halo?
Hey what do you guys believe to be the perfect middle ground between classic and modern halo?
Just a quick idea I just had, but what if you had a charge function with the thrusters? Hold thruster button for x amount of seconds for an extended thrust in one direction for a movement bonus, keep your weapon up while doing this, but then with the over use of thrusters you then have a longer cooldown with quick use thrust for strafing till they recharge.

Me personally I don't want sprint in anyway and I prefer classic movement. BUT, if I had to pick some sort of middle ground, this is what I came up with.

My reason being is... You still keep your weapon up, you are sacrificing a more reaction/quick ability so there is a trade-off, you can't use it as a get out of jail free card like sprint is known to do because you have to commit several seconds to the button prompt in one direction.
I believe it’s not good to compromise. Either has to be all in one way or another. Preferably no sprint.
C0RRuPTT wrote:
I believe it’s not good to compromise. Either has to be all in one way or another. Preferably no sprint.
Agree, but It doesn't hurt to play hypothetical though. If you HAD to do a combination, how would you implement it? I'm sure 343 had to try and answer this question at some point in the development, so discussing it here could be of benefit to us as a community to try to gauge and understand how they are trying to handle it.

#NoSprintGang hahaha (serious, but kidding at the sametime)
C0RRuPTT wrote:
Agree, but It doesn't hurt to play hypothetical though. If you HAD to do a combination, how would you implement it? I'm sure 343 had to try and answer this question at some point in the development, so discussing it here could be of benefit to us as a community to try to gauge and understand how they are trying to handle it.

#NoSprintGang hahaha (serious, but kidding at the sametime)
If they go no sprint then I thing gameplay similar to mythic arena from H5 would be their choice. If they incorporate sprint again then I believe we would see many of the H5 abilities taken out to simplify. How about you?
They've gotten two games that didn't play like halo. Its time for the rest of halo players to get a game that actually plays like the originals. There's a reason why gears is still poppin, but halo isn't.
If I see a spartan sprinting in the gameplay reveal, if there is any, I'll just pass and won't bother with the game, it will make crystal clear that 343 doesn't understand a single thing of what makes Halo, Halo.
They've gotten two games that didn't play like halo. Its time for the rest of halo players to get a game that actually plays like the originals. There's a reason why gears is still poppin, but halo isn't.
The senior systems designer for 343I said it himself. "Stay on top of trends." The philosophy that played a part in Halo's decline. We'll see with Halo Infinite if their philosophy has changed on that aspect or not. I certainly hope it has.
What do you think this means?

https://twitter.com/MrAdamAp/status/1276603451003330561

Specifically the tweet
Quote:
For Halo specifically, I think you would be pleasantly surprised if you knew how much the 343 team was in sync with community desires and how much work is happening behind the scenes. No -Yoink-, its impressive and inspiring.
Apparently Adam is the CEO of Esports Engine... do we know of his gameplay preferences...

I saw in an earlier tweet he was musing about how much it would cost to get OGRE2 to make a comeback for a Halo:CE tournament. :)
Darwi wrote:
What do you think this means?

https://twitter.com/MrAdamAp/status/1276603451003330561Specifically the tweet
Quote:
For Halo specifically, I think you would be pleasantly surprised if you knew how much the 343 team was in sync with community desires and how much work is happening behind the scenes. No -Yoink-, its impressive and inspiring.
Apparently Adam is the CEO of Esports Engine... do we know of his gameplay preferences...

I saw in an earlier tweet he was musing about how much it would cost to get OGRE2 to make a comeback for a Halo:CE tournament. :)
Wow.. This is the first sort of nod that classic Halo may be reintroduced in Infinite. Of course what he's saying about community desires might not mean classic Halo from his perspective, but I have a feeling it might. That post just made waiting for the July event seem even longer..
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 193
  4. 194
  5. 195
  6. 196
  7. 197
  8. ...
  9. 203