Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The return of classic movement mechanics?

OP A So So Sniper

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 225
  4. 226
  5. 227
  6. 228
  7. 229
  8. ...
  9. 280
I feel like it should be like reach where it is in as a spartan abilitie like active camo and hologram along with the new grappling hook but keep the map sizes the way they were in the OG halos. although if it came down either sprint all the time or no sprint at all I would take no sprint.
I pass with the slow movement idea
Elaborate.
Your point of view.
I mean your point of view. You add nothing to the discussion if all you say is that you disagree with me.
What more can i say? The classic movement mechanic is never coming back.
Just because you believe they're not coming back doesn't mean there's nothing to say. There are plenty of extensive arguments in this thread discussing whether it's viable for classic movement to return, from pre/post-sprint game sales to the popularity of modern games without sprint.

I read your initial comment, noticed its lack of depth, and attempted to start a discussion to learn more about your point of view. If you truly had nothing to say, why did you even post?
I’d like the old art style but you should only sprint no boost or what not. After all you are a super soldier so why shouldn’t you sprint?
It should have BOTH!

343, by all means think about it. So the rabid for and against camps can ZIP it unless constructive. Because its getting a bit out of hand.

Campaign:
Default: grapple, slide, sprint etc
Skulls either combined or separate for every non " classic " armor equipment, movement ability. Could be unlocked by beating the game on Heroic or something.

Multiplayer:
Default: NO grapple, slide, sprint etc in either Casual and Competive playlists. Only as pickup armor enhancments, akin to power weapons and power ups.
Specific playlists for both Competive and Social can have the above on by default

Could use some small changes to make it better. But I still stand on best of both worlds, why do we have to squabble and bicker, toxify and be "proud" to be in either camp when a logical compromise and fine tuning just makes more sense???
At least in my humble opinion.
Thrusters and sprint should be kept, I can't believe people are really talking about going back to a decade year old gameplay. I cannot go back to playing that slow, boring, and predictable gameplay that was halo 3 multiplayer. I tried playing it yesterday and man has it not aged well, had to go into halo 5 for entertainment.
Theres that thing right? If you get so used to either the new or old movement set. You will get so dead-set into that, so you cant or wont adapt to something different.

I have been playing Halo since the first but I have never been thinking too much about movement styles in the games. As long as it fits the gameplay, is balanced and not TOO much like well, Halo 5 to a degree. Im all for adapting. But having options as stated in my last post to include the camps for and against certain movement merchanics. Im all for that.
It should have BOTH!

343, by all means think about it. So the rabid for and against camps can ZIP it unless constructive. Because its getting a bit out of hand.

Campaign:Default: grapple, slide, sprint etc
Skulls either combined or separate for every non " classic " armor equipment, movement ability. Could be unlocked by beating the game on Heroic or something.

Multiplayer:Default: NO grapple, slide, sprint etc in either Casual and Competive playlists. Only as pickup armor enhancments, akin to power weapons and power ups.
Specific playlists for both Competive and Social can have the above on by default

Could use some small changes to make it better. But I still stand on best of both worlds, why do we have to squabble and bicker, toxify and be "proud" to be in either camp when a logical compromise and fine tuning just makes more sense???
At least in my humble opinion.
But that's not really the best of both worlds, is it? You're dedicating one game mode for one camp, and another game mode for another. Your suggestion isn't helping people who specifically want classic gameplay in campaign. It's definitely not helping people who want advanced movement in multiplayer. And let's be honest: most players are primarily interested in how the multiplayer plays.

And you're never giving people what they want by forcing them into specific playlists with their preferred flavor of movement. For one, the special playlists with non-default gameplay are going to be less populated, more difficult to find games in. Secondly, all the maps in the playlist will anyway have been designed around the default style, not this special variant, so it's going to play suboptimally.

It's a compromise. And a a compromise by definition takes away something from both sides, which is going to leave people on both sides unhappy, which is why making a compromise is not the magic bullet solution.

The reality I think many people still fail to realize is that this is a very, very low stakes game. If I don't find the game entertaining, it doesn't take much for me to walk away from the game. And a compromise game is not, by design, going to be entertaining. So, there is very little for me to actually lose from not accepting a compromise if I know that the compromise won't be the game I wanted. Compromises only work when the worst outcome is significantly worse than the compromise, and that just isn't the case when it comes to a video game.
Hase0Xth wrote:
Thrusters and sprint should be kept, I can't believe people are really talking about going back to a decade year old gameplay. I cannot go back to playing that slow, boring, and predictable gameplay that was halo 3 multiplayer. I tried playing it yesterday and man has it not aged well, had to go into halo 5 for entertainment.
Because, with certain adjustments, Halo 3 feels faster than Halo 5 and plays a whole lot better too. If you're playing with a high FOV, centered crosshair and 60 FPS, the game feels incredibly fast. On top of that, it just feels and plays better than Halo 5 does for me.

Appealing to novelty is a fallacy. DOOM from 1993 had Sprint in it, should we then discard Sprint as an old, tired mechanic because of its age?
Delta5931 wrote:
Because, with certain adjustments, Halo 3 feels faster than Halo 5 and plays a whole lot better too.
If you're trying to compare which feels faster, it would only be fair to compare apples to apples. You can definitely say that Halo 3 with high field of view feels sufficiently fast for you. But to say it feels faster than Halo 5, you're neglecting the fact that you could apply the same field of view to a hypothetical advanced movement game, and have it potentially feel even faster.

I'm not sure why you'd even want to insist that one game feels faster than another. It's not a competition. Probably more convincing to point out that the other game can also feel fast.
Hase0Xth wrote:
Thrusters and sprint should be kept, I can't believe people are really talking about going back to a decade year old gameplay. I cannot go back to playing that slow, boring, and predictable gameplay that was halo 3 multiplayer. I tried playing it yesterday and man has it not aged well, had to go into halo 5 for entertainment.
Imagine calling a tried and tested formula bad because of it's age, I guess we should throw away hand washing common curtesy because they're old. Halo 3 has aged very well compared to games that came out at the same time, same with Halo 2 and Halo CE plays leagues better than games of the same era. Old does not equal bad and new and flashy doesn't equal good, the argument of "oh it'll be outdated and nobody will play it" shows how little you know of this franchise and it's history. Sprint and thrusters only serve as illusions of enhanced mobility and don't do anything outside of making you put your gun down for normal movement speed, everybody knows how maps are enlarged for sprint meaning sprint becomes what the base movement speed would be in a classic game, it's just now you can't shoot, throw nades or melee, and you are stuck in a pointless animation that lowers your turning speed.
Imagine calling a tried and tested formula bad because of it's age, I guess we should throw away hand washing common curtesy because they're old.
Ah, but even the humble act of hand washing has benefited from the addition of clean sprinting water and the soap ability.

Although the merits of soap as a pick up are contentious.
Quote:
Ah, but even the humble act of hand washing has benefited from the addition of clean sprinting water and the soap ability.Although the merits of soap as a pick up are contentious.
No, the combat loop of an arena shooter is unique and in which adding sprint and abilities change the formula in ways that do not benefit the core game. Every game that has added sprint or new mechanics that don't belong receive massive fan backlash.
tsassi wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
Because, with certain adjustments, Halo 3 feels faster than Halo 5 and plays a whole lot better too.
If you're trying to compare which feels faster, it would only be fair to compare apples to apples. You can definitely say that Halo 3 with high field of view feels sufficiently fast for you. But to say it feels faster than Halo 5, you're neglecting the fact that you could apply the same field of view to a hypothetical advanced movement game, and have it potentially feel even faster.

I'm not sure why you'd even want to insist that one game feels faster than another. It's not a competition. Probably more convincing to point out that the other game can also feel fast.
Hypothetically, but it's not something you can presently do due to Halo 5's lack of a FOV slider. There are also more important bits than just the FOV slider, but that's a different discussion.

The biggest complaint that I've noticed here is that Halo 3 feels too slow. My common response is "Well, if you do this, this and this, then it can feel faster than Halo 5." Usually I also add "it can feel as fast, if not faster, than Halo 5." For a lot of these arguments, I feel that it often boils down to which game feels faster, and that makes it a competition.
Delta5931 wrote:
Hypothetically, but it's not something you can presently do due to Halo 5's lack of a FOV slider. There are also more important bits than just the FOV slider, but that's a different discussion.

The biggest complaint that I've noticed here is that Halo 3 feels too slow. My common response is "Well, if you do this, this and this, then it can feel faster than Halo 5." Usually I also add "it can feel as fast, if not faster, than Halo 5." For a lot of these arguments, I feel that it often boils down to which game feels faster, and that makes it a competition.
I was just thinking of it more in terms of persuasiveness. Like, even if people use sensation of speed to justify their preferences, it doesn't mean that "Yeah, well, my game's faster than your game" is what they're looking for. They're just saying why they dislike Halo 3, for which "have you considered that Halo 3 doesn't need to be like that" seems like a more appropriate response.
A lot of console gamers and people who played halo on console do fall into the Call of Duty and Sports game type of gamer. Unfortunately the game can and should not be designed and tuned to appeal to the Call of Duty console gamers who prefer call of duty anyway. To be a success cross platform it has to be classic Halo Where skill is still determined in FPS like it is in all other mature titles such as Quake and Counter strike where people peak shoot from behind walls and juke people around boxes. If it doesnt have primitive and legacy FPS concepts that that PROVEN and TIME TESTED then its a Cod Clone and thats final.
It should have BOTH!

343, by all means think about it. So the rabid for and against camps can ZIP it unless constructive. Because its getting a bit out of hand.

Campaign:Default: grapple, slide, sprint etc
Skulls either combined or separate for every non " classic " armor equipment, movement ability. Could be unlocked by beating the game on Heroic or something.

Multiplayer:Default: NO grapple, slide, sprint etc in either Casual and Competive playlists. Only as pickup armor enhancments, akin to power weapons and power ups.
Specific playlists for both Competive and Social can have the above on by default

Could use some small changes to make it better. But I still stand on best of both worlds, why do we have to squabble and bicker, toxify and be "proud" to be in either camp when a logical compromise and fine tuning just makes more sense???
At least in my humble opinion.
Great template but for the multiplayer just have options like a separate playlist halo 5 multiplayer has a nice skill gap its balanced well for competitive play being unscoped an loosing your aim when shot at keep it more realistic an immersive you sprint spartan charge evade boost slide etc. Watch some esport matches or streamers take advantage of there armor abilities an then maybe you'll see why they shouldn't take it out the game.
It should have BOTH!

343, by all means think about it. So the rabid for and against camps can ZIP it unless constructive. Because its getting a bit out of hand.

Campaign:Default: grapple, slide, sprint etc
Skulls either combined or separate for every non " classic " armor equipment, movement ability. Could be unlocked by beating the game on Heroic or something.

Multiplayer:Default: NO grapple, slide, sprint etc in either Casual and Competive playlists. Only as pickup armor enhancments, akin to power weapons and power ups.
Specific playlists for both Competive and Social can have the above on by default

Could use some small changes to make it better. But I still stand on best of both worlds, why do we have to squabble and bicker, toxify and be "proud" to be in either camp when a logical compromise and fine tuning just makes more sense???
At least in my humble opinion.
Great template but for the multiplayer just have options like a separate playlist halo 5 multiplayer has a nice skill gap its balanced well for competitive play being unscoped an loosing your aim when shot at keep it more realistic an immersive you sprint spartan charge evade boost slide etc. Watch some esport matches or streamers take advantage of there armor abilities an then maybe you'll see why they shouldn't take it out the game.
I'm pretty sure even Esports players don't like the Halo 5 mechanics. If I recall correctly, spartan charge and ground pound were removed from tournaments very early on, and even sprint at a later point in favor upping the base movement to sprint speed.

Plus, there have been complaints that Halo 5 is just too complicated to watch and enjoy as casual Esports audiences can't understand what is happening with all the fancy mechanics, compared to the older Halos' slower, simpler, and more comprehensible gameplay. Spartan abilities were not helping Esports at all.
It should have BOTH!

343, by all means think about it. So the rabid for and against camps can ZIP it unless constructive. Because its getting a bit out of hand.

Campaign:Default: grapple, slide, sprint etc
Skulls either combined or separate for every non " classic " armor equipment, movement ability. Could be unlocked by beating the game on Heroic or something.

Multiplayer:Default: NO grapple, slide, sprint etc in either Casual and Competive playlists. Only as pickup armor enhancments, akin to power weapons and power ups.
Specific playlists for both Competive and Social can have the above on by default

Could use some small changes to make it better. But I still stand on best of both worlds, why do we have to squabble and bicker, toxify and be "proud" to be in either camp when a logical compromise and fine tuning just makes more sense???
At least in my humble opinion.
Great template but for the multiplayer just have options like a separate playlist halo 5 multiplayer has a nice skill gap its balanced well for competitive play being unscoped an loosing your aim when shot at keep it more realistic an immersive you sprint spartan charge evade boost slide etc. Watch some esport matches or streamers take advantage of there armor abilities an then maybe you'll see why they shouldn't take it out the game.
I'm pretty sure even Esports players don't like the Halo 5 mechanics. If I recall correctly, spartan charge and ground pound were removed from tournaments very early on, and even sprint at a later point in favor upping the base movement to sprint speed.

Plus, there have been complaints that Halo 5 is just too complicated to watch and enjoy as casual Esports audiences can't understand what is happening with all the fancy mechanics, compared to the older Halos' slower, simpler, and more comprehensible gameplay. Spartan abilities were not helping Esports at all.
Watch the Halo finals 2018 on YouTube. You can watch execution of all the abilities.
It should have BOTH!

343, by all means think about it. So the rabid for and against camps can ZIP it unless constructive. Because its getting a bit out of hand.

Campaign:Default: grapple, slide, sprint etc
Skulls either combined or separate for every non " classic " armor equipment, movement ability. Could be unlocked by beating the game on Heroic or something.

Multiplayer:Default: NO grapple, slide, sprint etc in either Casual and Competive playlists. Only as pickup armor enhancments, akin to power weapons and power ups.
Specific playlists for both Competive and Social can have the above on by default

Could use some small changes to make it better. But I still stand on best of both worlds, why do we have to squabble and bicker, toxify and be "proud" to be in either camp when a logical compromise and fine tuning just makes more sense???
At least in my humble opinion.
Great template but for the multiplayer just have options like a separate playlist halo 5 multiplayer has a nice skill gap its balanced well for competitive play being unscoped an loosing your aim when shot at keep it more realistic an immersive you sprint spartan charge evade boost slide etc. Watch some esport matches or streamers take advantage of there armor abilities an then maybe you'll see why they shouldn't take it out the game.
I'm pretty sure even Esports players don't like the Halo 5 mechanics. If I recall correctly, spartan charge and ground pound were removed from tournaments very early on, and even sprint at a later point in favor upping the base movement to sprint speed.

Plus, there have been complaints that Halo 5 is just too complicated to watch and enjoy as casual Esports audiences can't understand what is happening with all the fancy mechanics, compared to the older Halos' slower, simpler, and more comprehensible gameplay. Spartan abilities were not helping Esports at all.
Watch the Halo finals 2018 on YouTube. You can watch execution of all the abilities.
So, just having listened to the Jimquisition regarding Fall Guys, I recommend listening to it, what's the viewership on Halo 5 tournaments been from year to year?

Because it was mentioned on the Jimquisition that simple mechanics are easier to follow as a viewer, meaning outsiders are far more likely to understand what's going on, and be more interested in continuing to watch.
The Halo franchise has been captured by the CONSOLE market for far too long.
All of these past assumptions about game design were clearly based on the fact that it was a CONSOLE exclusive.
This meant that the game needed to appeal to the CONSOLE players who in overwhelming number enjoy sports games and Call of Duty.
CONSOLE gamers don't know what all the fuss is about in this thread.
"Spring is modern, ADS is modern, hit markets don't bother me -- hit markers are modern" are all CONSOLE talking points.
Halo has always been a safe space for console players who don't really care that much about the details.

Every interaction with games includes massive sacrifices for them: Inferior input devices, inferior platform software, inferior video processing, etc. They are just not as serious about the outcome of the titles that they play -- they will buy it no matter what because they have no other options.
They buy COD every year and they buy FIFA/Madden every year. It ALL goes BACK to Call of Duty and the type of gamer that Halo was marketed to over the past decade.

Cross platform and PC market is DIFFERENT than console safe space.
There is more opportunity for PROFIT in a cross platform title. This means no more pandering to only one platform community and their preconceived notions about FPS games.
There is more DIVERSITY and PASSION on PC with less acceptance for LOW QUALITY.

Halo coming to PC in 2020 might be TOO LATE.
Halo 5 was a console exclusive flop that took place during a period of PC DOMINANCE where the PC platform WON.

This INFINITE will be the FIRST AND LAST chance to get it right and to escape the chains that bind in the console community and consumer market.

Half of the community complaints and persistent gripes over the last 10 years are due to the console platform and console community stranglehold on the franchise.
These mistakes would simply not be tolerated on the PC platform.

Halo has a winning formula. It is Quake for kids and in that it is fun. When people talk about the triangle of interactions (guns, mele, grenade) they are not just spouting BS. The game has a winning formula and always has. Unlock it from the chains that bind. I hate to bash people but in many cases the customers and the product designers that are tasked with catering to them have literally brought this winning formula to its knees and disrespected it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 225
  4. 226
  5. 227
  6. 228
  7. 229
  8. ...
  9. 280