Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The return of classic movement mechanics?

OP A So So Sniper

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 230
  4. 231
  5. ...
  6. 232
sodacann wrote:
I think the game's gunfights will change a lot if thrust isn't in the game. Me personally I think thrust has a bigger impact on gameplay than sprint, so if thats out of the game then gunfights could potentially look similar to gunfights of older halos even with sprinting and sliding.
Same. I'm very concerned for Infinite HCS at the moment because of this.
Concerned it'll be more fun and easier to watch?
No. Halo Infinite is exactly like Halo 5 except without the thrusters. Having advanced movement but no thrusters just doesn't make sense. Think about it.
Having enhanced movement at all makes no sense, Halo 5 was not fun to play nor watch and a simple gimmick like thruster that didn't effect combat 90% of the time will have little effect on a game that still keeps the worst mechanics.
I did affect the combat big time. Watch then. Watch how Infinite's MP will be sooo much different then Halo 5's because of the removal of thrusters.
you mean more classic and less cluttered, seems like a positive considering how poor H5's multiplayer is
It wouldn't be as classic considering the advanced movement and sprint. Also Halo 5's multiplayer is not poor at all. Probably the best multiplayer 343i has made.
sodacann wrote:
I think the game's gunfights will change a lot if thrust isn't in the game. Me personally I think thrust has a bigger impact on gameplay than sprint, so if thats out of the game then gunfights could potentially look similar to gunfights of older halos even with sprinting and sliding.
No. Halo Infinite is exactly like Halo 5 except without the thrusters. Having advanced movement but no thrusters just doesn't make sense. Think about it.
Having enhanced movement at all makes no sense, Halo 5 was not fun to play nor watch and a simple gimmick like thruster that didn't effect combat 90% of the time will have little effect on a game that still keeps the worst mechanics.
I did affect the combat big time. Watch then. Watch how Infinite's MP will be sooo much different then Halo 5's because of the removal of thrusters.
you mean more classic and less cluttered, seems like a positive considering how poor H5's multiplayer is
It wouldn't be as classic considering the advanced movement and sprint. Also Halo 5's multiplayer is not poor at all. Probably the best multiplayer 343i has made.
The best 343i has made is still -Yoink- compared to what it used to be, Halo 5 is -Yoink- and there's a high chance Halo Infinite's multiplayer will be too
Naqser wrote:
why are you limiting yourself.
Some view sprint as limiting the player.
It's a limit to not be able to shoot or throw grenades while moving at full speed.
Or, it's a limitation to not be able to move at full speed while shooting and throwing grenades.

Lol Story.. your a super soldier!
Yes?
Wouldn't it be quite super of a soldier to move at full speed in all directions while maintaining perfect accuracy?

Jogging an crouching with your weapon up was already in halo 1. Halo 3 was the first game that allowed you to dodge/ evade.
We moved at full speed in those games.
Halo 3 had evade?
Thanks I replaced Halo 3 with Halo Reach that's where evade was introduced. (Duck an roll or thruster)
Sprint-
I like how it really seems like your character is sprinting.
Advanced movement mechanics Going prone on the ground. Crouch fills the same roll but What else is really missing that marines can do that playable Spartans cannot!
sodacann wrote:
I too share concern over Infinite's HCS games, but there's a lot that we haven't seen with multiplayer. Perhaps equipment like grappling hook or other unseen items may allow for some new movement, maybe even compliment sprinting/sliding like thrusters did.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
sodacann wrote:
sodacann wrote:
I too share concern over Infinite's HCS games, but there's a lot that we haven't seen with multiplayer. Perhaps equipment like grappling hook or other unseen items may allow for some new movement, maybe even compliment sprinting/sliding like thrusters did.
Movement movement movement dear god why can't newer fans talk about anything not related to movement, HALO ISN'T ABOUT MOVEMENT ( it never was ) it was always about the deep combat loop that complimented a simple movement scheme. Any mechanic that deviates from the core 3 mechanics is heresy and is not Halo, Halo has an identity that made it unique yet you newer players seem so focused on just making it more bland and generic that I question if you've ever played any of the classic Halo's.
Do you know what thread you're in? We're talking about movement mechanics because its literally in the title.
sodacann wrote:
sodacann wrote:
sodacann wrote:
Movement movement movement dear god why can't newer fans talk about anything not related to movement, HALO ISN'T ABOUT MOVEMENT ( it never was ) it was always about the deep combat loop that complimented a simple movement scheme. Any mechanic that deviates from the core 3 mechanics is heresy and is not Halo, Halo has an identity that made it unique yet you newer players seem so focused on just making it more bland and generic that I question if you've ever played any of the classic Halo's.
Do you know what thread you're in? We're talking about movement mechanics because its literally in the title.
It's meant as an overall complaint within this thread, this topic gets a wild number of inquiries in every post
HALO ISN'T ABOUT MOVEMENT ( it never was )
As a fan of classic Halo who generally dislikes Halo 5 and has a history of critcizing Spartan Abilities, I find this claim incredibly absurd. I mean, you just need to look at where the majority of gameplay depth comes from. Everything about Halo has been designed in a way that encourages players to move. Weapons have no movement-based accuracy penalties and base movement speed is fast (relative to games not built around movement, e.g., Call of Duty), which encourages players to strafe, jump, and use their environment in gun fights. Power weapons and items are placed on the map to keep the player on the move instead of settling to a single defensive position.

If you go design a Halo game with the belief that it's not about movement, you will miss all the nuance that made classic Halo great. More importantly, you'll never be able to improve on Bungie's effort, such as the mediocre movement options on most classic maps, because you're in the wrong mindset.

I don't mean to diminish other aspects of Halo's design by defending movement. On the contrary, "Halo isn't about X" is about the most narrow-minded thing one can say about the games' design. Halo is about a lot of things. It has an identity, and X might just be an integral part of that identity, even if you don't see it.
tsassi wrote:
As a fan of classic Halo who generally dislikes Halo 5 and has a history of critcizing Spartan Abilities, I find this claim incredibly absurd. I mean, you just need to look at where the majority of gameplay depth comes from. Everything about Halo has been designed in a way that encourages players to move. Weapons have no movement-based accuracy penalties and base movement speed is fast (relative to games not built around movement, e.g., Call of Duty), which encourages players to strafe, jump, and use their environment in gun fights. Power weapons and items are placed on the map to keep the player on the move instead of settling to a single defensive position.

If you go design a Halo game with the belief that it's not about movement, you will miss all the nuance that made classic Halo great. More importantly, you'll never be able to improve on Bungie's effort, such as the mediocre movement options on most classic maps, because you're in the wrong mindset.

I don't mean to diminish other aspects of Halo's design by defending movement. On the contrary, "Halo isn't about X" is about the most narrow-minded thing one can say about the games' design. Halo is about a lot of things. It has an identity, and X might just be an integral part of that identity, even if you don't see it.
I would argue that the simplicity of the mobility is what made the combat loop the best, by making the movement relatively uninspired it only elevated the times in combat and made vehicles all the more exciting. I don't play HCE, 2 or 3 for the movement, I play for the astounding combat loop and engagements. Depth through crouch jumping and know map routes is good and all but the meat and potatoes lie with the combat, power weapons and items aren't part of the movement but the sandbox. Also the nuance of CE's floaty movement isn't exactly astounding and I'm pretty sure Halo wasn't popular and renounced for it's movement, but instead the rest of the game and sandbox. As for improving on Bungie's efforts you can just use more mancannons and lifts, plus the best maps are the smallest ones that don't stress the simple movement and allow a high degree of verticle combat.
tsassi wrote:

I agree. There are aspects from both of your statements that I can take from. So you both get my like. Gotta say though, movement is very important. There are plenty of things in Halo that are important in making a good Halo. Just because you remove sprint doesn't make the game instantly awesome. Gameplay wise, I think sprint can have use, but it's not very helpful in the long run(no pun intended). What I'm saying is, you both brought up interesting points. Movement is very important and I think we are all passionate about Halo otherwise we probably wouldn't be here commenting and discussing so much.
Delta5931 wrote:
sprint, slide and clamber are a must have thrusters made it fast pace in h5.
Why are they a must? why can't Halo stand on it's own without the crutches of every other AAA shooter?
if you take out sprint you have a majority of people who are mad if leave in sprint you have another majority of people who are mad i stand with sprint etc and i've played since halo 2
So it's more what you want and less what's good for the game and the longevity of the series?
its more of a opinion.
tsassi wrote:

Sagegogenkil responds.......consider
Cod has a shorter TTK less time for any moving around you do during a gunfight to matter......
Imagine you could go play halo MCC all the campaigns with halo 5 movement mechanics.
H5 let us use a more versatile interactive character without breaking the game e.g flying then in previous titles. The story wasn't the best but the multiplayer was a
blast!
Halo 5 multi is fun. No lie. It's just not very Halo like. It strays away from the Halo formula. I think we need to get back to that formula. Guns, nades, and melee with the occasional equipment or man cannon. Call it what you may, but it's certainly how Halo was for years.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 230
  4. 231
  5. ...
  6. 232