Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The return of classic movement mechanics?

OP A So So Sniper

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 231
  4. 232
  5. 233
  6. 234
  7. 235
  8. ...
  9. 244
I have never understood the "classic movement mechanics" debate.

I LOVE the old games, when they came out and even now. I love the new games just as much. But with each game, each aspect of it evolves and improves, including the movement mechanics.
The faster and more agile the movement mechanics, the more I personally feel immersed in both the gameplay and the story. I mean, we are playing as supersoldiers after all, should they be able to sprint, roll, dive, climb or anything that a normal person can do but better/faster?
I concur something positive has obviously taken place, considering the years of testing and community feedback from one title to the next. Next gen title uses the Slipspace Engine. You could run walk sprint duck dodge shoot attk swim jump charge an slide way back in 16 bit era games.
Because this isn't a question of "is the engine capable of doing this?"

Just because "it can', doesn't mean "it should," that's pretty much the biggest problem of other games that fall for feature creep.
I have never understood the "classic movement mechanics" debate.

I LOVE the old games, when they came out and even now. I love the new games just as much. But with each game, each aspect of it evolves and improves, including the movement mechanics.
The faster and more agile the movement mechanics, the more I personally feel immersed in both the gameplay and the story. I mean, we are playing as supersoldiers after all, should they be able to sprint, roll, dive, climb or anything that a normal person can do but better/faster?
I concur something positive has obviously taken place, considering the years of testing and community feedback from one title to the next. Next gen title uses the Slipspace Engine. You could run walk sprint duck dodge shoot attk swim jump charge an slide way back in 16 bit era games.
Because this isn't a question of "is the engine capable of doing this?"

Just because "it can', doesn't mean "it should," that's pretty much the biggest problem of other games that fall for feature creep.
the Prophet of Truth has spoken! All shall hear the blessing of his words!
Sprint doesn’t mean speed it’s simply a speed boost with an animation so why not just increase the bms across the board solves this whole problem but some people just can’t stand not having a sprint animation but hey we are fighting a lost war sprint isn’t going anywhere.
I'm wondering if this thread + the Halo 5 sprint megathread had any influence on the developement of Halo Infinite. I mean, Sprint has been the main discussion on Waypoint for at least as long as Halo Infinite has been in developement. 343's got to be truly dense to just include Sprint in multiplayer. That shield recharge trick in Halo 5 didn't work, I wonder what they come up with now.
CrazeTurk wrote:
I'm wondering if this thread + the Halo 5 sprint megathread had any influence on the developement of Halo Infinite. I mean, Sprint has been the main discussion on Waypoint for at least as long as Halo Infinite has been in developement. 343's got to be truly dense to just include Sprint in multiplayer. That shield recharge trick in Halo 5 didn't work, I wonder what they come up with now.
"b-b-but it's a slow sprint and grappleshot! what do you mean I can't press X to run! this game isn't realistic super soldiers should be able to run!!1!"
We all truly wonder what goes on in 343's mind when they do some of this dumb stuff
CrazeTurk wrote:
"b-b-but it's a slow sprint and grappleshot! what do you mean I can't press X to run! this game isn't realistic super soldiers should be able to run!!1!"
We all truly wonder what goes on in 343's mind when they do some of this dumb stuff
Yea if people are gonna use lore then we might as well make most covenant weapons one -Yoink- the player have bullet drop let the player sleep eat and all the other realistic stuff people have such bad arguments
CrazeTurk wrote:
This is the same company that approached Halo 4, and determined they were capable of making a better Halo game than Bungie did after... 8 years of making Halo games. They will ignore fans and do their own vision time and time again, hoping that their balance can strike gold with the CoD player-base, because it certainly felt like that with Halo 5 coming off of Halo 4.

I fully expect Multiplayer to be nigh-on unplayable because that's what 343's record has been so far.
Delta5931 wrote:
CrazeTurk wrote:
This is the same company that approached Halo 4, and determined they were capable of making a better Halo game than Bungie did after... 8 years of making Halo games. They will ignore fans and do their own vision time and time again, hoping that their balance can strike gold with the CoD player-base, because it certainly felt like that with Halo 5 coming off of Halo 4.

I fully expect Multiplayer to be nigh-on unplayable because that's what 343's record has been so far.
Its sad but true, you would think Microsoft would step in and shake up management
Delta5931 wrote:
CrazeTurk wrote:

The queston could be asked if bungie had of stsyed on and continuef with halo whether they too would have continued down the advanced movement road they started with reach?

If destiny is any indication its a yes as reach is considered the destiny beta in that community. While its fun to be hyper critial of 343s vision of halo, gaming has changed and evolved a lot since 2010 when bungie released their finak halo title .

343 are most guilty of a lack of consistancy in their vision across all parts of the game up until this point in their halo journey, im really not sure if infinite is going to change much in that regard either.
QtoCool wrote:
Sprint doesn’t mean speed it’s simply a speed boost with an animation so why not just increase the bms across the board solves this whole problem but some people just can’t stand not having a sprint animation but hey we are fighting a lost war sprint isn’t going anywhere.
That's it. Spartans are Supersoldiers and they're able to shoot while sprinting. Halo 3 only feels slow on Xbox because of the minimal FoV of 70. On PC with higher FoV the game feels really fast. Faster than the H5 sprint and H3 Spartans can shoot while moving fast! Sprint is a lie and people believe it because other games say they need this unnecessary animation. If a Spartan really sprints, he makes the 100m in 2sec.
Delta5931 wrote:
CrazeTurk wrote:

The queston could be asked if bungie had of stsyed on and continuef with halo whether they too would have continued down the advanced movement road they started with reach?

If destiny is any indication its a yes as reach is considered the destiny beta in that community. While its fun to be hyper critial of 343s vision of halo, gaming has changed and evolved a lot since 2010 when bungie released their finak halo title .

343 are most guilty of a lack of consistancy in their vision across all parts of the game up until this point in their halo journey, im really not sure if infinite is going to change much in that regard either.
Too many possabilities there to make even an accurate judgement.

Either Bungie could've not made Destiny and continued with Halo, upon which we'd probably have seen a mechanical change towards Destiny gameplay.

Microsoft could've published Destiny as well as Halo, in which case it's entirely possible Bungie would've kept the games mechanically different in order to not make them too similar.

Bungie could have continued with Halo and kept Reach, along with other potential Spin-offs, as experimental titles where they'd keep mechanics they, or the fans, would deem too unconventional for mainstream Halo.

But has gaming changed and evolved in the grand scale though? It's certainly grown, but in terms of mechanics we're not really seeing many new things. We're seeing different gameplay ideas spring up and become popular, and those pop-ups aren't really that advanced, or difficult.
I mean, Among Us sure doesn't look like much, at all, and the game could mechanically, if not even close to visually, identically, most likely have been made in the 90's.
QtoCool wrote:
That's it. Spartans are Supersoldiers and they're able to shoot while sprinting. Halo 3 only feels slow on Xbox because of the minimal FoV of 70. On PC with higher FoV the game feels really fast. Faster than the H5 sprint and H3 Spartans can shoot while moving fast! Sprint is a lie and people believe it because other games say they need this unnecessary animation. If a Spartan really sprints, he makes the 100m in 2sec.
Agreed, I have been playing Halo 3 with an increased FoV and in greatly increases the FoV. It feels much faster and I think that would be a great option for Halo Infinite. 👍
Naqser wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
CrazeTurk wrote:

Too many possabilities there to make even an accurate judgement.

Either Bungie could've not made Destiny and continued with Halo, upon which we'd probably have seen a mechanical change towards Destiny gameplay.

Microsoft could've published Destiny as well as Halo, in which case it's entirely possible Bungie would've kept the games mechanically different in order to not make them too similar.

Bungie could have continued with Halo and kept Reach, along with other potential Spin-offs, as experimental titles where they'd keep mechanics they, or the fans, would deem too unconventional for mainstream Halo.

But has gaming changed and evolved in the grand scale though? It's certainly grown, but in terms of mechanics we're not really seeing many new things. We're seeing different gameplay ideas spring up and become popular, and those pop-ups aren't really that advanced, or difficult.
I mean, Among Us sure doesn't look like much, at all, and the game could mechanically, if not even close to visually, identically, most likely have been made in the 90's.
Ill leave all the other points as we are just speculating but in regards to game evolution gameplay hasnt really evolved if at all but my reference of evolution was aimed at the monetisation and many systens around it.

If 2010 bungie reach was made today as a new 2020 title one thing we can be sure of is it wouldnt be devoid of the microtransactions for customisation ect that litter the current gaming landscape.
This whole mess could have been stopped before it began if 343 simply didn’t include sprint in halo 4 there wouldn’t be a sprint supporters vs anti sprint debate to begin with but because 343 lacked the creativity that bungie had they thought foolishly that halo can’t survive if it isn’t like every other FPS on the market but this is all ultimately pointless I’m just speaking in hindsight nothings ever gonna change and there are too many people “brainwashed” into believing sprint equals speed at least we still have doom.
QtoCool wrote:
This whole mess could have been stopped before it began if 343 simply didn’t include sprint in halo 4 there wouldn’t be a sprint supporters vs anti sprint debate to begin with but because 343 lacked the creativity that bungie had they thought foolishly that halo can’t survive if it isn’t like every other FPS on the market but this is all ultimately pointless I’m just speaking in hindsight nothings ever gonna change and there are too many people “brainwashed” into believing sprint equals speed at least we still have doom.
Your forgetting that it was bungie who introduced sprint to the halo franchise in 2010s reach , it's all well and good to straight out blame 343i for sprint in halo but one could certainly mount a healthy and in this case a factual argument that 343i were continuing to forge ahead with a game mechanic the bungie themselves introduced to the franchise .
QtoCool wrote:
Your forgetting that it was bungie who introduced sprint to the halo franchise in 2010s reach , it's all well and good to straight out blame 343i for sprint in halo but one could certainly mount a healthy and in this case a factual argument that 343i were continuing to forge ahead with a game mechanic the bungie themselves introduced to the franchise .
Yes, but Bungie suffered significant backlash for implementing armor abilities ( including the death of the competitive community )
343 had ample warning and reason to not repeat the same mistake, yet they did BUT worse!
QtoCool wrote:
Yes, but Bungie suffered significant backlash for implementing armor abilities ( including the death of the competitive community )
343 had ample warning and reason to not repeat the same mistake, yet they did BUT worse!
True. It was very clear in the Halo: Reach era that sprint, among other additions was very controversial. The fact that 343 chose to continue with the controversial additions tells me they do not fully grasp what made Halo great.
C0RRuPTT wrote:
QtoCool wrote:
True. It was very clear in the Halo: Reach era that sprint, among other additions was very controversial. The fact that 343 chose to continue with the controversial additions tells me they do not fully grasp what made Halo great.
wait this argument is still going on. I completely agree that 343 should have looked at reach and seen all the backlash from sprint and such but nope they had to keep on going in.
I personally like Sprint. Tell me what you want but it won’t change my opinion
Sprint is fine in the campaign. Especially in an open-world game. But sprint in multiplayer is a disaster waiting to happen. To make maps not feel as small due to faster movement they make them bigger. This makes them add range the the guns to make them not feel short-range. Then in short range, they almost never miss a shot, so they add a bunch of kick. This results in poor accuracy in all guns. To solve this they buff the damage. This makes them add strange mechanics such as having stronger shields while sprinting or something. Which effects the map again to stop someone from escaping too easily. Which effects the guns. Which brings us full circle in a total disaster.

So while I understand sprint being in the open-world campaign, I cannot support sprint being added to multiplayer.

Not to mention that sprint prevents people from shooting while running, which is a big part of Halo.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 231
  4. 232
  5. 233
  6. 234
  7. 235
  8. ...
  9. 244