Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The return of classic movement mechanics?

OP A So So Sniper

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 260
  4. 261
  5. 262
  6. 263
  7. 264
  8. ...
  9. 280
THI5 GUYY wrote:
I don’t mind sprint. I’m not a fan of unlimited sprint. It will be a difficult task for 343i of trying to keep Halo Infinite’s movement mechanics modern and different while also keeping classic enough to make it still play like Halo. I don’t mind changes to movement mechanics as long as they aren’t overpowered or mandatory.
Then why not remove all enhanced movement mechanics? then Halo will be even more unique
Here's my thoughts.
  • Infinite potentially being around for 10 years, means lots of dev time.
  • Lots of dev time, means 343i could create a balanced, fair, and equally loved Arena section dedicated to the non-sprint/non-aa crowd.
  • I'm talking CTF, BTB, 4v4 etc. All with dev made maps and modes. Plus, Forge maps, community modes etc.
  • Basically, like this:
Campaign
Forge
Theater
Arena
Arena Classic
Firefight
  • You get the idea. Sounds like a dream, and probably won't happen, but I can dream. I know there are flaws with the concept, but I'm sure 343i could iron out the bugs.
Cobra J24 wrote:
Here's my thoughts.
  • Infinite potentially being around for 10 years, means lots of dev time.
  • Lots of dev time, means 343i could create a balanced, fair, and equally loved Arena section dedicated to the non-sprint/non-aa crowd.
  • I'm talking CTF, BTB, 4v4 etc. All with dev made maps and modes. Plus, Forge maps, community modes etc.
  • Basically, like this:
Campaign
Forge
Theater
Arena
Arena Classic
Firefight
  • You get the idea. Sounds like a dream, and probably won't happen, but I can dream. I know there are flaws with the concept, but I'm sure 343i could iron out the bugs.
Personally I don't like the idea of sitting on the fence.

343 need to choose their direction and go all in. One unified Halo Infinite set of playlists.

Fans of Halos 3 and 5 who don't want to adapt can either keep playing those games or look to Forge / customs for their gaming fix. And in that regard I'm really hoping Forge is something special (so that the quality is equivalent to dev made maps).
Darwi wrote:
Cobra J24 wrote:
Here's my thoughts.
  • Infinite potentially being around for 10 years, means lots of dev time.
  • Lots of dev time, means 343i could create a balanced, fair, and equally loved Arena section dedicated to the non-sprint/non-aa crowd.
  • I'm talking CTF, BTB, 4v4 etc. All with dev made maps and modes. Plus, Forge maps, community modes etc.
  • Basically, like this:
Campaign
Forge
Theater
Arena
Arena Classic
Firefight
  • You get the idea. Sounds like a dream, and probably won't happen, but I can dream. I know there are flaws with the concept, but I'm sure 343i could iron out the bugs.
Personally I don't like the idea of sitting on the fence.

343 need to choose their direction and go all in. One unified Halo Infinite set of playlists.

Fans of Halos 3 and 5 who don't want to adapt can either keep playing those games or look to Forge / customs for their gaming fix. And in that regard I'm really hoping Forge is something special (so that the quality is equivalent to dev made maps).
I understand your point completely. Agreed on hoping forge is top tier.
I agree with the removal of sprint,as sprint,counterintuitively,reduces the speed of the game.

In order to fit sprint in,the base movement speed has been reduced (look how fast you run in Halo games before and after reach,it's striking),and being unable to fire while sprinting means combat speed is also reduced. All in all,it leads to a neuteuring of advanced movement,as things such as strafing and similar in combat movement techniques are rendered much less effective.

tl:dr : sprint and other "advanced" movement techniques effectively dumb the mobility down while giving an illusion of "advanced movement" . You could accomplish everything you can now without these gimmicks,the only reason why you can't now is because they heavily weakened the basic mobility of players in order to force these gimmicks into a sandbox that didn't need or want them
In order to fit sprint in,the base movement speed has been reduced (look how fast you run in Halo games before and after reach,it's striking)
This is only true for Halo Reach and 4. In Halo 5 the base movement speed is faster than in the original trilogy.
tsassi wrote:
In order to fit sprint in,the base movement speed has been reduced (look how fast you run in Halo games before and after reach,it's striking)
This is only true for Halo Reach and 4. In Halo 5 the base movement speed is faster than in the original trilogy.
Yeah but no one cares for Halo 5 :P
Sprint is already in Infinite I dont understand why people believe they're taking it out at this point.
Halo Infinite gameplay reveal:

Walks around momentarily...
Kills grunts
Walks more
Sees warthog
Sprints to warthog to get around faster

The game can't have both styles of gameplay. I'd prefer more traditional gameplay but if it isn't, so be it. Just make it the best Halo game with advanced mobility as possible. Just don't do what Halo 4/5 did. Making your own game and have it be underwhelming.
Leos Nuts wrote:
Sprint is already in Infinite I dont understand why people believe they're taking it out at this point.
People believe that?
tsassi wrote:
In order to fit sprint in,the base movement speed has been reduced (look how fast you run in Halo games before and after reach,it's striking)
This is only true for Halo Reach and 4. In Halo 5 the base movement speed is faster than in the original trilogy.
Just out of curiosity, how did you test this?

Anyway I think Silverhand46 wanted to express something different.
In fact I don't think that the absolute speed really matters since character movement needs a context to really make sense.
The ratio between map size and player speed is much more relevant, and maybe Silverhand46 was talking about this.
Karim wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how did you test this?
Make a track of Forge blocks, see how long it takes to run. You can convert from Forge units to the game's internal length units. Up to Halo 4 they're 1:1, and in Halo 5 they're 10:1.

That's the method anyone can use and check for themselves. However, the exact values are also well known from the game files. It's about 2.25 for the original trilogy, 2.2 for Reach and 4, and 2.6 for Halo 5.

Karim wrote:
Anyway I think Silverhand46 wanted to express something different.
In fact I don't think that the absolute speed really matters since character movement needs a context to really make sense.
The ratio between map size and player speed is much more relevant, and maybe Silverhand46 was talking about this.
I don't. "Base movement speed" is a pretty specific phrase. Anyone who knows that Halo 5 has a faster base movement speed would not phrase their thoughts in a way that directly contradicts their knowledge. There are plenty of people who actually believe exactly what Silverhand46 said. It's a pretty common misunderstanding, probably beacuse it used to be true (Reach and 4), and most people just don't care to update their beliefs if their current beliefs agree with their agenda.
tsassi wrote:
Karim wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how did you test this?
Make a track of Forge blocks, see how long it takes to run. You can convert from Forge units to the game's internal length units. Up to Halo 4 they're 1:1, and in Halo 5 they're 10:1.

That's the method anyone can use and check for themselves. However, the exact values are also well known from the game files. It's about 2.25 for the original trilogy, 2.2 for Reach and 4, and 2.6 for Halo 5.
But units are somewhat arbitrary in 3D engines, how do you know that the unit you are considering is consistent between the various iterations of the game engine they used?
Sprint makes us go zoom which is really fun in campaign where it is large maps with long treks and you just want to zoom
I really like advanced movement, pls don't kill me yet
I really like advanced movement, pls don't kill me yet
Go play TItanfall then, Halo isn't enhanced movement
I really like advanced movement, pls don't kill me yet
Go play TItanfall then, Halo isn't enhanced movement
But halo is not defined by its movement. If he likes other things about halo that titanfall does not have why is he inclined to play Titan fall. Also halo is actually is enhanced movement as of the moment so if I were you I would try playing offense and convincing him, not just stating his liked game feature is not halo because it is as of the moment
I really like advanced movement, pls don't kill me yet
Go play TItanfall then, Halo isn't enhanced movement
Just because I like advanced movement doesn't mean I can't play halo. I really like Halo and I have my own reasons to believe that new mechanics improved the game. This is a forum, after all, if I state my opinion and you can't handle it, go piss in a bush and not all over a forum page.
I really like advanced movement, pls don't kill me yet
Go play TItanfall then, Halo isn't enhanced movement
Just because I like advanced movement doesn't mean I can't play halo. I really like Halo and I have my own reasons to believe that new mechanics improved the game. This is a forum, after all, if I state my opinion and you can't handle it, go piss in a bush and not all over a forum page.
I mean this whole thread is dedicated to arguments for and against enhanced mobility so there's not much reason for me to repeat what's been said. You can like whatever you want but Halo as a whole has never been as good as it was without enhanced mobility so take my thoughts however you want
I really like advanced movement, pls don't kill me yet
Go play TItanfall then, Halo isn't enhanced movement
Just because I like advanced movement doesn't mean I can't play halo. I really like Halo and I have my own reasons to believe that new mechanics improved the game. This is a forum, after all, if I state my opinion and you can't handle it, go piss in a bush and not all over a forum page.
I mean this whole thread is dedicated to arguments for and against enhanced mobility so there's not much reason for me to repeat what's been said. You can like whatever you want but Halo as a whole has never been as good as it was without enhanced mobility so take my thoughts however you want
Yes, I understand that. But there wasn't anything constructive in your initial reply, all you did was state "halo isn't advanced movement" and to go play titanfall instead. I get you don't want to repeat what you have already said, but I think a little clarification and thought was justified..
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 260
  4. 261
  5. 262
  6. 263
  7. 264
  8. ...
  9. 280