Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The return of classic movement mechanics?

OP A So So Sniper

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 261
  4. 262
  5. 263
  6. 264
  7. 265
  8. ...
  9. 289
I really like advanced movement, pls don't kill me yet
Go play TItanfall then, Halo isn't enhanced movement
But halo is not defined by its movement. If he likes other things about halo that titanfall does not have why is he inclined to play Titan fall. Also halo is actually is enhanced movement as of the moment so if I were you I would try playing offense and convincing him, not just stating his liked game feature is not halo because it is as of the moment
An PFS is defined by multiple things, but movement is one of the core pillars of it so yes Halo is somewhat defined by it's movement. Halo is not enhanced mobility since Infinite is barebones AAA redundancy, nothing enhanced about that but I guess you could say H5 was ( even though H5 was a failure sales numbers wise and only copied the Titanfall trend ) even though it was just as decisive as H4 and arguably worse for the franchise.
But halo is not defined by its movement. If he likes other things about halo that titanfall does not have why is he inclined to play Titan fall. Also halo is actually is enhanced movement as of the moment so if I were you I would try playing offense and convincing him, not just stating his liked game feature is not halo because it is as of the moment
An PFS is defined by multiple things, but movement is one of the core pillars of it so yes Halo is somewhat defined by it's movement. Halo is not enhanced mobility since Infinite is barebones AAA redundancy, nothing enhanced about that but I guess you could say H5 was ( even though H5 was a failure sales numbers wise and only copied the Titanfall trend ) even though it was just as decisive as H4 and arguably worse for the franchise.
Woah cowboy I would not go saying anything about infinite yet. We are the entire time it took to make Halo 2 from launch so we don’t know what will happen. H5 is the most current halo FPS and guesss what. It has sprint so that is halo and the second most recent is H4 which also had sprint. Shocking figures I know
Woah cowboy I would not go saying anything about infinite yet. We are the entire time it took to make Halo 2 from launch so we don’t know what will happen. H5 is the most current halo FPS and guesss what. It has sprint so that is halo and the second most recent is H4 which also had sprint. Shocking figures I know
"Halo 4 and 5 have sprint, therefore sprint is a Halo mechanic"
>ignore the success ( or lack of ) of these games
>ignore the first 3 games that actually started the franchise
>ignore how sprint fundamentally goes against how Halo was designed
Halo 5 and 4 don't count as proper Halo games, only in the title are they Halo.
Karim wrote:
tsassi wrote:
Karim wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how did you test this?
Make a track of Forge blocks, see how long it takes to run. You can convert from Forge units to the game's internal length units. Up to Halo 4 they're 1:1, and in Halo 5 they're 10:1.

That's the method anyone can use and check for themselves. However, the exact values are also well known from the game files. It's about 2.25 for the original trilogy, 2.2 for Reach and 4, and 2.6 for Halo 5.
But units are somewhat arbitrary in 3D engines, how do you know that the unit you are considering is consistent between the various iterations of the game engine they used?
How do you make sure that your six feet tall character is actually six feet tall in a game?

Halo developers have always used the units in such a way that 1 unit = 10 feet. You can convince yourself of this by comparing, e.g., the Warthog model sizes to their canonical sizes.

It doesn't really matter what engine you use. Fundamentally, all engines just give you a set of three numbers that are your coordinates, and how you relate those coordinates to real world units is up to you. But obviously to make it easy for yourself, you're going to make the factor some multiple of ten of either the metric, or some imperial length units (probably feet if you're making a "human sized" game). In Bungie's case, it was a factor of ten to feet, and 343i kept that probably because it was convenient (they could directly import models from old games without needing to rescale them).
To put his wording a bit more simply, A halo game is not defined by sprint, it is a mere feature that was included in the game since 2010 and has divided the community. I think he is saying that because Halo 4 and 5 had sprint, we should start thinking thatHalo features sprint, while not implying anything for infinities release and initial movement features, we should start to accept/expect sprint in Halo
<Well look at the population of H5 vs all the other games combined in MCC
<H4 broke sales records so put that in your pipe and smoke it
<Great games no is is denying that but it is time to move on
<Halo games are allowed to be different than each other, if all halos were H3 how many less ppl would play
No not really, H4 and H5 are halos like it or not because I can use your logic and say, ohh CE is so different it is not actually halo
I don't really understand that reasoning, clarify?

While not in the best interest of the majority, 343 included sprint as a regular feature from 2012 onwards. I don't understand the part where you stated Halo 4/5 are not halo games. That may simply be an opinion of yours, and I think it is just you who is failing to accept that 343 included sprint in the games, and that sprint exists in the Halo franchise now, but I will wait for you to clarify.
<Halo games are allowed to be different than each other, if all halos were H3 how many less ppl would play
No not really, H4 and H5 are halos like it or not because I can use your logic and say, ohh CE is so different it is not actually halo
  • H5 also launched correctly and wasn't broken for over half it's lifespan
  • 90% playerbase gone within a year lul
  • Great games to who? casuals don't care and classic fans surely disagree
  • Halo 3 is still unbeaten in popularity and quality, even if all 343 did was re-make Halo 3 it would still be better than whatever they've made thus far
  • Halo 4 and 5 are not Halo as they are fundamentally different from every other game, using CE is a bad analogy as CE-3 ( and some parts of Reach ) play the same and the same core mechanics apply ( especially in MP )

While not in the best interest of the majority, 343 included sprint as a regular feature from 2012 onwards. I don't understand the part where you stated Halo 4/5 are not halo games. That may simply be an opinion of yours, and I think it is just you who is failing to accept that 343 included sprint in the games, and that sprint exists in the Halo franchise now, but I will wait for you to clarify.
I don't see them as Halo games down to how they are designed and played, Halo 4 is just a COD reskin for all I care as it plays nothing like the golden 3 while Halo 5 found itself a flavor of the month titanfall with some added depth from thruster. These games are nothing like the original 3 as so to me aren't really Halo, a franchise needs to have something that keeps it all together and the simple title "Halo" isn't enough when the actual game itself is completely different.
  • Halo 3 is still unbeaten in popularity and quality, even if all 343 did was re-make Halo 3 it would still be better than whatever they've made thus far
  • Halo 4 and 5 are not Halo as they are fundamentally different from every other game, using CE is a bad analogy as CE-3 ( and some parts of Reach ) play the same and the same core mechanics apply ( especially in MP )
>MCC needed updates for old games.
>But still enough people wanted to play it that it broke all the records
>NO because just like how H4 is just COD so you should go play COD everyone would just play H3 and not pay for more H3 that is not needed or new
>H4 and H5 are different because the industry evolved, ovens become different why not video games. CE had a wack sandbox and a bunch of noobish weapons which makes the game Super easy to pick up unlike H3

I don't see them as Halo games down to how they are designed and played, Halo 4 is just a COD reskin for all I care as it plays nothing like the golden 3 while Halo 5 found itself a flavor of the month titanfall with some added depth from thruster. These games are nothing like the original 3 as so to me aren't really Halo, a franchise needs to have something that keeps it all together and the simple title "Halo" isn't enough when the actual game itself is completely different.
Hold on so anything not H3 is not halo. That is really stupid for many many many reasons

Ok, thanks for clarifying, I was confused lol

Now about your reply, Fundamentally, they most certainly are different from the classic games, but they still fall under the Halo namesake. I understand that you don't want to call them Halo's, and I respect this, you can do as you wish, but using your belief in an argument that falls under a literal and factual form doesn't make sense, they don't mix.

Again, now that I understand where your coming from with this, its a bit less weird, we should get back on track with this thread though lul
>NO because just like how H4 is just COD so you should go play COD everyone would just play H3 and not pay for more H3 that is not needed or new
>H4 and H5 are different because the industry evolved, ovens become different why not video games. CE had a wack sandbox and a bunch of noobish weapons which makes the game Super easy to pick up unlike H3
  • No they didn't, they just needed to be ported by someone who knew what they were doing
  • What record? sales records legit mean nothing.
  • People pay for new COD's, so people would pay for another H3
  • H4 and H5 aren't different because the industry evolved, they are different because 343 doesn't know what a proper Halo game is and copied whatever everyone else was doing. CE's sandbox is the best in the franchise, every weapon has a purpose and functions uniquely whereas H3 has weapons like the Carbine and Spiker which are useless in the overall sandbox ( plus H3 has a lot of RNG in it's BR which makes competitive play weird )
  • No they didn't, they just needed to be ported by someone who knew what they were doing
  • H4 and H5 aren't different because the industry evolved, they are different because 343 doesn't know what a proper Halo game is and copied whatever everyone else was doing. CE's sandbox is the best in the franchise, every weapon has a purpose and functions uniquely whereas H3 has weapons like the Carbine and Spiker which are useless in the overall sandbox ( plus H3 has a lot of RNG in it's BR which makes competitive play weird )
<Those games are old and as much as we all love CE it needs some new content after 15 years (20 now)
<No they mean exactly what they say. So I am going to type this out because you seem confused, MORE PEOPLE BOUGHT H4 THAN H3 so just a think about that for a sec would ya
<New CODS are different and than there predecessor. More H3’s are just H3 but better graphics which has no real difference from H3 so why waste money
<343 have made (you might want to skip this part) fun games to play that are designed in an intelligent manner and allowing players to easily use skills aquired in other games. CE has a sandbox of wierd weapons in damage and fire rate not it is actual useage. Surprised about the trash talk of H3, the spirit gives you that sweet melee damage increase and the carbine does not have that RNG
<Those games are old and as much as we all love CE it needs some new content after 15 years (20 now)
<No they mean exactly what they say. So I am going to type this out because you seem confused, MORE PEOPLE BOUGHT H4 THAN H3 so just a think about that for a sec would ya
<New CODS are different and than there predecessor. More H3’s are just H3 but better graphics which has no real difference from H3 so why waste money
<343 have made (you might want to skip this part) fun games to play that are designed in an intelligent manner and allowing players to easily use skills aquired in other games. CE has a sandbox of wierd weapons in damage and fire rate not it is actual useage. Surprised about the trash talk of H3, the spirit gives you that sweet melee damage increase and the carbine does not have that RNG
  • CE doesn't need new content, it's a gem that doesn't need 343 to scratch it, literally nobody wanted it and adding cheap weapon skins isn't even "content"
  • "More people bought it so it's good" >laughs in number of players who played H4 after a year versus H3
  • And CE to 3 were different yet maintained Halo's unique identity whereas H4 and H5 did not
  • What's fun about H4 and H5? I don't play Halo to play COD where you can spawn in with a pocket shotgun nor do I want to play a sweaty titanfall ripoff. 343's games are neither fun nor intelligent and are nothing compared to what came before. CE's sandbox is not weird, you're just bad.
  • CE doesn't need new content, it's a gem that doesn't need 343 to scratch it, literally nobody wanted it and adding cheap weapon skins isn't even "content"
  • "More people bought it so it's good" >laughs in number of players who played H4 after a year versus H3
  • And CE to 3 were different yet maintained Halo's unique identity whereas H4 and H5 did not
  • What's fun about H4 and H5? I don't play Halo to play COD where you can spawn in with a pocket shotgun nor do I want to play a sweaty titanfall ripoff. 343's games are neither fun nor intelligent and are nothing compared to what came before. CE's sandbox is not weird, you're just bad.
>IDK man CE can become rather repetitive if you play it for 10 years and never get anything new
>Community interest is different than players retained. PPL found Halo4 much more interesting than H3 but maybe not as fun which I would agree with
>completely not related ;CE and H3 are different so a H3 remake is just H3 but you pay for it again
>H4 has a fun sandbox for action sack and H5 has a fun take on weapons and customization both games are designed in a why that disallows a ruling meta because unlike a bungie weapon or 2 343 used thee brains to there fullest extent: the CE needler is not strange in the least. Shotgun range to damage ration is perfect and should in no way be considered a risky fo CE being almost old enough to drink in the USA. You calling me bad is not an argument that can carry any length
"MORE PEOPLE BOUGHT H4 THAN H3 so just a think about that for a sec would ya"

This is completely untrue, Halo 3 sold over 2 million more copies than Halo 4, and it maintained that population longer than any other Halo game while Halo 4 lost its population faster than any other.

"CE has a sandbox of wierd weapons in damage and fire rate not it is actual useage"

I'm not even sure what this means exactly, but the fact remains that CE's weapon sandbox is probably the best simply because each weapon fulfills a unique role with no weapons being redundant.

"Great games no is is denying that but it is time to move on"

This exact same dismissive attitude can be used against Halo 5 and it's mechanics.

"PPL found Halo4 much more interesting than H3"

Citation needed, how exactly do you even measure how interesting a game is? Personally, I think Halo 4 is the blandest game in the franchise because of how many mechanics it blatantly copied from COD.
Nuss902928 wrote:
"MORE PEOPLE BOUGHT H4 THAN H3 so just a think about that for a sec would ya"

This is completely untrue, Halo 3 sold over 2 million more copies than Halo 4, and it maintained that population longer than any other Halo game while Halo 4 lost its population faster than any other.

"CE has a sandbox of wierd weapons in damage and fire rate not it is actual useage"

I'm not even sure what this means exactly, but the fact remains that CE's weapon sandbox is probably the best simply because each weapon fulfills a unique role with no weapons being redundant.

"Great games no is is denying that but it is time to move on"

This exact same dismissive attitude can be used against Halo 5 and it's mechanics.

"PPL found Halo4 much more interesting than H3"

Citation needed, how exactly do you even measure how interesting a game is? Personally, I think Halo 4 is the blandest game in the franchise because of how many mechanics it blatantly copied from COD.
-You should check your statics there (you would be wrong a quick google tells me H4 sold 44 million while J3 only sold 14.5)

-I have already posted about this in a post above

-Yes but those games were made 13 years ago Halo 5 was made 5 years ago
-More people bought the game than ppl who bought H3 which shows a lot more people were interested to see what was Chiefs next step
  1. Halo MCC right now is placed 31st on the XBL most played games chart. Which is bad frankly, but it's still placed over H5 and it was like that for almost two years now. H5 right now is placed 42 btw. :/
  2. ...and than the population died out in t-minus two weeks. Reach retained more players than H4. Just say'n!
  3. You're right! But moving on means evolving the formula and Halo's formula is build around the sandbox. That's what needs to evolve! If 343i keeps copying other games Twitch mechanics instead of actually evolving and improving the sandbox Hi will fail. Again!
  4. Nobody wants H3.5, but you can make something new, something bigger and better with the mechanics that made Halo legendary to begin with. Wolfenstein, Doom and R6 did it and are now among the most beloved FPS ips around. You can't just copy what COD, Crysis and TF are doing and expect it to work. Especially because those games already have a following and they won't jump ship for a copy. Or they might for a while to be fair. ...just to walk straight back to the original. 🤷‍♀️
  5. Ehm... No. The logic doesn't work, because CE is the original.
  1. Halo MCC right now is placed 31st on the XBL most played games chart. Which is bad frankly, but it's still placed over H5 and it was like that for almost two years now. H5 right now is placed 42 btw. :/
  2. ...and than the population died out in t-minus two weeks. Reach retained more players than H4. Just say'n!
  3. You're right! But moving on means evolving the formula and Halo's formula is build around the sandbox. That's what needs to evolve! If 343i keeps copying other games Twitch mechanics instead of actually evolving and improving the sandbox Hi will fail. Again!
  4. Nobody wants H3.5, but you can make something new, something bigger and better with the mechanics that made Halo legendary to begin with. Wolfenstein, Doom and R6 did it and are now among the most beloved FPS ips around. You can't just copy what COD, Crysis and TF are doing and expect it to work. Especially because those games already have a following and they won't jump ship for a copy. Or they might for a while to be fair. ...just to walk straight back to the original. 🤷‍♀️
  5. Ehm... No. The logic doesn't work, because CE is the original.
1. And MCC has what is it? 5 more games? Is that right?
2. That argument has been tried turn after time but you look at a number or 2 and you see reach was the beginning of the end so If I were you I would keep reach far from this as it also has sprint
3. That copying you are referring to is not rlly there. Having sprint doesn’t make a game a copy, I will say that H4 was dangerously close to a COD game but H5 was unique as there is rlly not a game it copied. 343 does need to get on there sandbox game that has been lacking but this is the sprint thread
4. You are answering in this argument in a why were you have not read this entire argument. It was constructed after commando544 said a copy of H3 would do better than H5 or H4. I can t really answer this since it is kinda just is doubling down on that entire point.
5. this goes on the assumption Halp cannot change or evolve into something new so if you think that’s there is rlly no way for me to help you here
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 261
  4. 262
  5. 263
  6. 264
  7. 265
  8. ...
  9. 289