Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The return of classic movement mechanics?

OP A So So Sniper

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 263
  4. 264
  5. 265
  6. 266
  7. 267
  8. ...
  9. 288
Clearly even 343i thinks outherwise because...they changed it. At least when talking about something like sprint where people go "it's not bad they just have to keep tweaking it!", this is a case of 343i just removing it entirely from standard gameplay either within Halo 4 or when creating Halo 5 (Arena).
They changed it cuz of the crying over spilt milk. Frankly, if they had removed it without announcing it for TMCC, no one would have noticed. It was that inconsequential.
Lots of things were cried about over the years and they kept to their guns. If it was s inconsequential, they wouldn't have removed it.

But at some point between 2012 and 2015, it was considered advantageous to remove said "inconsequential" stuff.
Halo 5 is an ADS game.
No it isn't.

Apart from Halo 5 reincorporating de-scope, Smart-link is only cosmetically ADS and it functions just as scoping has in every other Halo. The only substantial differences that it brings are that it's present on every weapon instead of a select few and that it obscures your vision (which, for better-or-worse, I welcome).

ADS as a traditional FPS mechanic is a supplement and requirement to reliable accuracy in most shooters where hip-fire spread cones tend to be very wide, unlike Halo.
Most gunffights in Halo 5 are fought from the hip because Smart-Link is not a requirement.
Maps should be aesthetically pleasing as well as smooth flowing for whatever the movement mechanics are
They Should Totally Return Many Iconic Halo Stuff From The Past!! such as Halo: 3 Hayabusa Armour!? The Classic Artstyle of these armour's and Some Improvements on them! Some From Halo: Reach? Like the Haunted Helmet, Emlie's Helmet?? and Special Armor Effects? Like the flaming helmet effect? also lightening armor effect?? and By The Way y'all? The return of classic movement is greatly considered and most requested. Because the new movement mechanics isn't that good. Trust me it isn't. The return of classic movement will bring fair gameplay and competitive play. Making the halo games armour's must be absolute best and awesomeness. Making the halo great and up to date.
don't take any of my criticism as hostility i'm just passionate, though you've seen me around so you're fine.
No worries. Ditto. :)
Re: Personal/global ordnance drops:
Although global drops could have been used strictly as in fiction static drops, they weren't. As you said they were random. That's why I don't defend the drops at all. They weren't good at all. They were bad.
My only complaint about people complaining about the drops is how they seemingly get blown out of proportion. Like sure, they exist, but I played a ton of Halo 4 back in the day. If the drops had been removed for TMCC I'm not sure how long it would take me to notice they were gone. I'm serious. They were just so inconsequential in my eyes. They were these little random bonuses that never amounted to anything in my playtime. They never decided a match for me, so when people get so caught up on them I just don't get it, but they act like it's some damning, fatal flaw that ruins the entire game and I'm like "Once every three games someone gets a SAW, which is cool but I still have a DMR so they're still boned." And then I just forget it exists again.
I mean compare the drops to the BR spread in Halo 3 that this entire community just hand waves away as if it's nothing. And they'll still claim it's the best esports game and it drives me insane. At a certain mid range distance you could have both players stand completely still, have one player aim at another's head and due to the BR spread, sometimes the player would die in 4 bursts, sometimes he will die in 5 bursts and sometimes he will die in 6 bursts. That's with no one moving at all, aim not being adjusted, and just literally spraying. That's a 50% burst difference! How can that ever be excused? This guy got two extra grenades from the sky and it's the end of the world, but this guy by sheer luck has RNG decide his bursts will kill 33% faster and everybody just shrugs and screams "The most competitive Halo!" The insane double standards is patently absurd. I would gladly swap in random drops just to remove BR spread every single time. How can you cry about competitiveness of drops when you have a gun that makes every encounter a complete pull on the arm of a sot machine? I can adjust my play to my enemy getting two grenades or a SAW. I can't adjust my play to account for the instant unpredictability of BR spread. Yet everyone loses their minds over one and just pretends the other doesn't exist.
As for custom loadouts the issue came down to having 4 weapons doing the same thing with slightly different attributes with similar kill times,
Well, you're definitely not wrong, but the problem is the DMR was a replacement for the BR minus the expectations people had so that Reach didn't have to address them. So to bring them both in really just leaves players with player agency and they play very similar or piss off a huge chunk of the community. BR starts, DMR fans and AR weirdos are pissed. DMR starts and BR fans and AR weirdos are pissed. AR starts and the game is not even mildly competitively oriented.
if there is 1 default weapon the the role of the developer is to create more differentiation if that is the baseline.
This principle is true. However, in this case, that means for a BR start and no DMR (because, again, if it's equal in power then half the pop will demand DMR starts), DMR becomes a power weapon and definitely becomes OP. If DMR starts and no BR (because, again, if it's equal in power then half the pop will demand BR starts), BR becomes some pointless weapon and no one is happy with it. In either situation, you can't have both in the same game without letting people start with either.
Also in BTB being able to spawn with a plasma pistol and sticky nades was disgusting, considering that like 70% of H4 population were playing the 2 or 3 BTB playlists that isn't good.
I don't feel bad for blowing up people who want to spend 100% of the game time in vehicles with an unlimited machine gun turret or gauss, or play in a walking tank or flying bomber. And everyone ran boltshot anyway, so it's really only plasma nades or power weapons that would kill them.
The perks just made the game far more uncertain in any given encounter and made way for players to tech into cheese playstyles that didn't add any benefit to the game or the players.
I'll be honest with ya, in all my time playing I just don't remember them being a problem at all. Some people could reload faster and some people could sprint indefinitely and others could rank up faster or carry a DMR and a BR for whatever reason. To me, it really didn't make much of a difference at all.
Unfortunately automatic weapons in Halo games have always sucked, If there was no sprint and maps became more compact with less openness they would get more use.
But do we really want to dumb the game down enough so that automatics are viable? Then shotgun camping just becomes the entire meta to the point you're an idiot if you're not camping with the shotgun.
JiP is not ideal. If everyone had the choice of turning off JiP, JiP couldn't work, i would also wager most would turn it off which is telling of the mechanic.
I'd wager the exact opposite. If they could only be put into games where no one can join or rejoin, they will wonder why the game is frustrating and it's because you're stuck not playing with anybody.
I can tell you with certainty that the amount of time wasted wasted in lopsided games in Halo 2 & 3 is far higher than it ever was in Halo 4. You're just far less likely to end up in a cascade of quits in Halo 4 big team than you are in Halo 3 where it felt like you could only get one good match per half hour bc the rest of the time people quit as the game started.
I disagree Reach was great fun
I'm not saying Reach is bad. I think there was a skill involved in understanding the timing and risk/reward to reticle bloom, even if the concept was just a hare-brained attempt at recoil. It was however, a different strategy to the act of shooting in that game. In Halo CE, 2, 3 & 4 the act of shooting is strafe, bob, and just unload accurate shots as fast as possible. In Reach the act of shooting is strafe, bob, and find the right tempo to shoot accurate shots. It's not bad, but it is different. In Reach and 4 your armor abilities might factor in, but the majority of gun fights are not directly impacted, unless you have shield or armor lock. Active camo & vision can help you get the jump on someone, but when it comes to actually shooting they don't change the fight. In Halo 5, the act of shooting is boost dodge, air dodge, ground pound and then stand still and aim down sights so you can shoot.
Killcam and it's application in Halo was very janky and not very useful. If there was an option between that and the old style of 3rd person camera over corpse i'd choose the 2nd option. At least give the choice.
I'm always fine with a choice like this. I'll take the info so I know where they were hiding over staring at a corpse probably getting teabagged by some tweener shouting racial epithets.
Clearly even 343i thinks outherwise because...they changed it. At least when talking about something like sprint where people go "it's not bad they just have to keep tweaking it!", this is a case of 343i just removing it entirely from standard gameplay either within Halo 4 or when creating Halo 5 (Arena).
They changed it cuz of the crying over spilt milk. Frankly, if they had removed it without announcing it for TMCC, no one would have noticed. It was that inconsequential.
Lots of things were cried about over the years and they kept to their guns. If it was s inconsequential, they wouldn't have removed it.

But at some point between 2012 and 2015, it was considered advantageous to remove said "inconsequential" stuff.
You're going to have to be specific with them "sticking to their guns." Also, drops as they were designed couldn't fit in Halo 5 even if they really wanted to keep them. Where would you even put them? Warzone? They would just defeat the purpose of the req pack.

For something that was unpopular and still takes time to implement, even if it was liked by a tiny group but overall inconsequential, means it wasn't going to return. The fact that the hate was overblown a means it was advantageous not to spend resources reimplementing and testing on an inconsequential thing the majority wasn't going to be happy or even care about. Welcome to game development.
honestly i don'r mind having sprint or slide. but i think that the way halo 5 took mobility was kinda dumb. i don't think that having a ground-pound, hovering, spartan charge, boost and all that should be in infinite... it may have sprint, but i don't think that's bad.
honestly i don'r mind having sprint or slide. but i think that the way halo 5 took mobility was kinda dumb. i don't think that having a ground-pound, hovering, spartan charge, boost and all that should be in infinite... it may have sprint, but i don't think that's bad.
How come?
How come?
i just dont think that sprint is bad tbh
How come?
Even though it ruins map design and influences the weapon sandbox into more of a laser tag game?
How come?
Even though it ruins map design and influences the weapon sandbox into more of a laser tag game?
What a childish way to conduct a conversation.
Leos Nuts wrote:
How come?
lol, and yours isn't? :^)
I get the frustration and understand you don't need sprint if you just up the movement speed and quite frankly I wouldn't mind that one bit just keep the thruster. Faster movement speeds along with thrusters just add an out playability that non sprint games just can do. It makes the skill gap in the game much higher once you master the sprint and jump thruster mechanics turning a 2v1 into a double kill where games of old its just tougher to do that and all you had was basically jump crouch shot hoping the enemy sucks at head shots. As I said I wouldn't mind the non sprint but keep thrust but it'll be hard to get rid of sprint and not miss it to some extent.
Leos Nuts wrote:
How come?
I am not sure how sprint messes with map design except needing a bigger map for balance. I feel the thruster adds more difficulty to map design but needing ledges and spaces to make use of the boost strategically. I could be wrong I am no designer of course. I don't mind sprint, I could go either way but no sprint with higher move speed and keeping the thruster could be promising.
BEARC0X wrote:
Leos Nuts wrote:
How come?
I am not sure how sprint messes with map design except needing a bigger map for balance. I feel the thruster adds more difficulty to map design but needing ledges and spaces to make use of the boost strategically. I could be wrong I am no designer of course. I don't mind sprint, I could go either way but no sprint with higher move speed and keeping the thruster could be promising.
Sprint forces longer sightlines and larger maps along with less verticality and CQB since sprint has no use in those situations.
They Should Totally Return Many Iconic Halo Stuff From The Past!! such as Halo: 3 Hayabusa Armour!? The Classic Artstyle of these armour's and Some Improvements on them! Some From Halo: Reach? Like the Haunted Helmet, Emlie's Helmet?? and Special Armor Effects? Like the flaming helmet effect? also lightening armor effect?? and By The Way y'all? The return of classic movement is greatly considered and most requested. Because the new movement mechanics isn't that good. Trust me it isn't. The return of classic movement will bring fair gameplay and competitive play. Making the halo games armour's must be absolute best and awesomeness. Making the halo great and up to date.
Absolutely my guy
BEARC0X wrote:
Leos Nuts wrote:
How come?
Sprint forces longer sightlines and larger maps along with less verticality and CQB since sprint has no use in those situations.
True, true. What do you think about out playability though? with sprint you can possibly make plays with sprint jump thrust and slide that could turn a 2v1 into a double kill. Now without sprint that's still possible but it is more based off the headshot skill of your opponents than your own maneuverability skills to outplay. I guess without sprint though the only thing your losing is a little speed and the slide.
BEARC0X wrote:
BEARC0X wrote:
Leos Nuts wrote:
How come?
True, true. What do you think about out playability though? with sprint you can possibly make plays with sprint jump thrust and slide that could turn a 2v1 into a double kill. Now without sprint that's still possible but it is more based off the headshot skill of your opponents than your own maneuverability skills to outplay. I guess without sprint though the only thing your losing is a little speed and the slide.
CE and Halo 2 still had outplayability yet they had no fancy thrust and sprint mechanics, just because you can doesn't mean you should
BEARC0X wrote:
Faster movement speeds along with thrusters just add an out playability that non sprint games just can do. It makes the skill gap in the game much higher once you master the sprint and jump thruster mechanics turning a 2v1 into a double kill where games of old its just tougher to do that and all you had was basically jump crouch shot hoping the enemy sucks at head shots.
I feel that's contradictory.
Would you mind elaborating more?

Also, inplace of sprint, BMS can be increased. Which directly affect combat. Sprint does not play an active role in combat. Halo 5 did increase the BMS after the Beta even.
If thrusters were removed, a more responsive and quick strafe would play somewhat into what thrusters accomplish in terms of combat, without being limited to a cooldown timer.
Naqser wrote:
BEARC0X wrote:
Faster movement speeds along with thrusters just add an out playability that non sprint games just can do. It makes the skill gap in the game much higher once you master the sprint and jump thruster mechanics turning a 2v1 into a double kill where games of old its just tougher to do that and all you had was basically jump crouch shot hoping the enemy sucks at head shots.
I feel that's contradictory.
Would you mind elaborating more?

Also, inplace of sprint, BMS can be increased. Which directly affect combat. Sprint does not play an active role in combat. Halo 5 did increase the BMS after the Beta even.
If thrusters were removed, a more responsive and quick strafe would play somewhat into what thrusters accomplish in terms of combat, without being limited to a cooldown timer.
I am not arguing the fact that it can be done as even I wouldn't mind the removal of sprint for higher BMS but thruster is more of a jolt type movement in any direction which can really throw off the enemies aim and give you a fighting chance where I feel a higher BMS for strafe once people get the speed down its much easier to keep getting those headshots and then just like in H CE or H2 its more of, if you miss one headshot your most likely dead. At least in my experience. I mean i went back to MCC for a while and it was a hell of a lot of fun but all it was is you see someone and shoot for the head and all they can do is strafe and maybe jump or crouch to try and make you miss a shot. Thrustering around corners clambering up ledges even sliding all add a higher element of mobility that can really turn around a fight that you may have been losing at first. My preference though would be to lose sprint and slide cause they kind of go together but keep thrust and climb. Then raise BMS maybe even lessen the CD on thruster. Honestly I am fine anyway they go I am still going to have a blast with Infinite and Ill get used to whatever new or old system they use. All in all I just want them to make the BR not suck anymore like they did with their 2018 patch. The starting pistol shouldn't be better than a spawned pick up weapon or just give us BR starts in some playlists. and DMR should remain a pick up and have the power of the light rifle.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 263
  4. 264
  5. 265
  6. 266
  7. 267
  8. ...
  9. 288