Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The return of classic movement mechanics?

OP A So So Sniper

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 265
  4. 266
  5. 267
  6. 268
  7. 269
  8. ...
  9. 290
I don't like how 343 didn't address Sprint in their whole "Combat Doctrine" speech. Sure, they talk up a storm about "rhythm of engagement", but they avoided talking about Sprint and how it directly interferes with what makes Halo, Halo. The whole update doesn't make me feel any better about Infinite. In fact, it leaves me more frustrated.
tsassi wrote:
ChaosRave wrote:
I kinda get it but I still think the: don't like it don't use it argument is valid.
It's really not. I mean, to begin with, it's not even an argument. It's a dismissive pretend solution that lets you feel good about yourself without expending any brain power on thinking about the actual issue. It's like telling a clinically depressed person to just "cheer up". It's not just unhelpful. It's actively demeaning because it implies the belief that the other person hasn't considered something blatantly obvious, basically, that they're stupid.

There is nothing valid about being dismissive and demeaning. If you actually want to be helpful, the right place to start would be to not assume that you know better than the other person. I.e., by asking (genuine, non-condescending) questions, listening, and trying to understand where they are coming from.
Sorry for being late, but I don't log in every day. Much appreciation to everyone for the response, as you took your time writing down your thoughts.
I still don't feel having a bit sprint will have a huge negative impact on gameplay, yet I wouldn't be suprised if they cut it out by now.
But I don't see anything dismissive or demeaning for thinking up or suggesting a simple solution, regarding any issues first. Nor would I compare mental health states to a video game in this context, but there must be a reason for that. I'll take that into consideration when I suggest something like a hard reset for the ongoing "dedicated server issue" that the person will feel treated stupidly and be offended, because of my lack of brain capacity, right?
Anyway I'm off, see you guys in Infinite. Cheers!
I don't like how 343 didn't address Sprint in their whole "Combat Doctrine" speech. Sure, they talk up a storm about "rhythm of engagement", but they avoided talking about Sprint and how it directly interferes with what makes Halo, Halo. The whole update doesn't make me feel any better about Infinite. In fact, it leaves me more frustrated.
Agreed, 343 rarely talks about sprint because they know how divisive the mechanic is. I would like to have a genuine conversation with them about why they continue to implement sprint, though each game with the mechanic has been divisive.
C0RRuPTT wrote:
Agreed, 343 rarely talks about sprint because they know how divisive the mechanic is. I would like to have a genuine conversation with them about why they continue to implement sprint, though each game with the mechanic has been divisive.
I think from the few times they've said anything about sprint specifically it seems pretty clear that its continued inclusion is primarily driven by the assumption that players expect it. I get the impression that their views are just pragmatic with little in terms of idealism.

I don't think we're ever going to see them address sprint in any great detail. They don't win anything by doing that as long as sprint is around, because it's not like they're going to convert anyone. It might even be that they wouldn't have that much to say.
There’s running in the gameplay, I didn’t see him use a thruster pack I think and ground pounds along with Spartan charges, 343 is mixing it together i guess
I hope its like Halo 4 controls but very well refined
tsassi wrote:
C0RRuPTT wrote:
I think from the few times they've said anything about sprint specifically it seems pretty clear that its continued inclusion is primarily driven by the assumption that players expect it. I get the impression that their views are just pragmatic with little in terms of idealism.

I don't think we're ever going to see them address sprint in any great detail. They don't win anything by doing that as long as sprint is around, because it's not like they're going to convert anyone. It might even be that they wouldn't have that much to say.
True. 343 most likely doesn't talk about it because they believe people expect it, so it needs to be included. But from what we've seen of gameplay (Even though it isn't much), it genuinely looks like they could say: "Because you are a super soldier in the Halo games, and to streamline controls, we've removed the need to press a button to sprint. You can now move around at maximum speed and shoot at the same time."

Keeping a contested feature in mainly because "people expect it in a modern game", is not how you go back to your roots or pave your own path. I think most people want Halo to feel like its own thing. If it didn't feel like its own thing, why play it over something else? Any entrepreneur can tell you that you need to differentiate from your competition in one way or another. Why shouldn't Halo be more of its own thing? Separate from Call of Duty, Battlefield, Titanfall, and a million other FPS games with Sprint. They should take a note from Nintendo, and make a game that isn't trying to remind people of some other game or thing.
tsassi wrote:
C0RRuPTT wrote:
True. 343 most likely doesn't talk about it because they believe people expect it, so it needs to be included. But from what we've seen of gameplay (Even though it isn't much), it genuinely looks like they could say: "Because you are a super soldier in the Halo games, and to streamline controls, we've removed the need to press a button to sprint. You can now move around at maximum speed and shoot at the same time."

Keeping a contested feature in mainly because "people expect it in a modern game", is not how you go back to your roots or pave your own path. I think most people want Halo to feel like its own thing. If it didn't feel like its own thing, why play it over something else? Any entrepreneur can tell you that you need to differentiate from your competition in one way or another. Why shouldn't Halo be more of its own thing? Separate from Call of Duty, Battlefield, Titanfall, and a million other FPS games with Sprint. They should take a note from Nintendo, and make a game that isn't trying to remind people of some other game or thing.
i hope this is the case. just have sprint be a cosmetic (instant snap back) animation of weapon shake when not firing and moving full speed. maybe have 3% or so more speed during this for the sensation of actualy moving faster.
clamber could be a similar animation linked to crouch jumping (if crouch jumps have an increased step-height).

a toned down version of thrusters could stay
tsassi wrote:
[Sprint] continued inclusion is primarily driven by the assumption that players expect it.
If they truely believe sprint is expected by the majority, it would be worth an announcement.
You want it? Here you go! Youre welcome!
But i assume they dont speak about it because they KNOW how controversial the topic is being discussed.
That is not a sign of strength. Its a sign of doubt.
And thats why im very nervous about the game.
tsassi wrote:
[Sprint] continued inclusion is primarily driven by the assumption that players expect it.
If they truely believe sprint is expected by the majority, it would be worth an announcement.
But i assume they dont speak about it because they KNOW how controversial the topic is being discussed.
Of course they know that sprint is controversial in the Halo community, but that is not mutually exclusive with it being expected by players. Because "the players" is not the Halo community. The Halo community is just a subset of the players they are trying to reach.

But even if sprint wasn't controversial within the Halo community, it wouldn't be worth an announcement. Because most games have sprint. The only reason sprint is anything special in the context of Halo is because it is so controversial. In other games it's just a completely boring mechanic that nobody bats an eye at. To anyone who isn't present in the Halo community, and isn't aware of the sprint controversy, 343i announcing sprint would be a really weird thing to do. It'd be like announcing the game has crouch. It'd just look weird and out of touch.

It is the nature of sprint that it's dealt with with little fanfare. If it ever leaves Halo, don't expect that to be advertised as a selling point. It'll just be gone and never mentioned again.
tsassi wrote:
In 343’s attempt to attract new players/keep up with trends, they’ve lost way more fans than they’ve gained. Now Halo is in it’s current state due to that downward trend.
I wish the sprint was more like Halo Reach's. That one didn't require maps to be enlarged, did it? I don't know, which is why I'm asking.

Regardless, the reason I like Reach's sprint was because the animation for it in third person was just so much better than in Halo 4 or 5. I can't explain it well, but in Halo 5, when the Spartans sprint it doesn't look like the running animation is what is actually making them move. It looks like they are sliding along the ground and the animation is just...there. It is kind of similar to Halo CE. There is no walking animation in that game, so when the control stick is pushed only slightly forward, the Spartan (cyborg, I should say) does the normal running animation while moving forward slowly. It just looks unnatural. Not the best example, but it is the closest thing I could think of.

Meanwhile in Halo Reach the animation is so smooth and natural. It really looks and feels like a sprint.
I was going to elaborate on this, but again, I can't explain things very well, and I just can't find the perfect way to describe it right now. Hopefully someone understands what I'm trying to say here and makes it clear for everyone.

Ps. Now that I think about it, the sprint animation in Halo 5 reminds me very much of the player's running animation in a mobile game that used to be on the App Store called Star Warfare: Alien Invasion...
m sorry but to assume 343 include sprint for no mechanical reasons other than "players expect it" is pretty condescending.

The designers will have talked about the inclusion and non inclusion of sprint and how it fits into their gameplay and mechanics. They've decided it deserves to be in.

I'd love to read their explanation of that design decision too, but just assuming they don't care at all about it is very pessimistic imo.

Till then, watch Shyway's video on Enhanced Mobility in Halo 5 if you're interested in hearing an extremely deep dissection of sprint, thrust, slide etc and how it impacts top level competitive play in Halo. It's a really good video!
Feirsteax wrote:
m sorry but to assume 343 include sprint for no mechanical reasons other than "players expect it" is pretty condescending.
we don’t assume anything. A member of the H5 dev team confirmed that they are aware of how split the community is due to that mechanic but they made the call to include ist because they think that players expected that mechanic in 2015. It in his speach on H5s new mechanics for some conference, I‘m sure someone can link or again (I‘m on my mobile..)
we don’t assume anything. A member of the H5 dev team confirmed that they are aware of how split the community is due to that mechanic but they made the call to include ist because they think that players expected that mechanic in 2015. It in his speach on H5s new mechanics for some conference, I‘m sure someone can link or again (I‘m on my mobile..)
Well if there's no sprint they better increase movement speed to H5 sprint levels. Players are way too good at this point to have movement speed that slow.
Well if there's no sprint they better increase movement speed to H5 sprint levels. Players are way too good at this point to have movement speed that slow.
uhhhhh what
How does player skill factor into movement speed? shouldn't it be a balance of gunplay and strafing?
uhhhhh what
How does player skill factor into movement speed? shouldn't it be a balance of gunplay and strafing?
Accurately tracking slow moving targets is too easy for most players these days. Leaving it at the old settings would lead to an imbalance because the player skill level has changed in the 20+ years since Halo CE.
uhhhhh what
Accurately tracking slow moving targets is too easy for most players these days. Leaving it at the old settings would lead to an imbalance because the player skill level has changed in the 20 years since Halo CE.
then make weapons have less aim assist and bullet magnetism...

inbalanced how? every player still has equal footing and skill still plays a factor in map control and power weapon control
tsassi wrote:
tsassi wrote:
Of course they know that sprint is controversial in the Halo community, but that is not mutually exclusive with it being expected by players. Because "the players" is not the Halo community. The Halo community is just a subset of the players they are trying to reach.

But even if sprint wasn't controversial within the Halo community, it wouldn't be worth an announcement. Because most games have sprint. The only reason sprint is anything special in the context of Halo is because it is so controversial. In other games it's just a completely boring mechanic that nobody bats an eye at. To anyone who isn't present in the Halo community, and isn't aware of the sprint controversy, 343i announcing sprint would be a really weird thing to do. It'd be like announcing the game has crouch. It'd just look weird and out of touch.

It is the nature of sprint that it's dealt with with little fanfare. If it ever leaves Halo, don't expect that to be advertised as a selling point. It'll just be gone and never mentioned again.
its equivalent to the last of us part 2 saying you can now jump. Ya, its an expectation and not really something that needs an announcement. At the end of the day, the current halo community is the minority. Sprint has also already been shown as in the game. Doing a formal announcement of the mechanic is pretty much pointless
uhhhhh what
Accurately tracking slow moving targets is too easy for most players these days. Leaving it at the old settings would lead to an imbalance because the player skill level has changed in the 20 years since Halo CE.
then make weapons have less aim assist and bullet magnetism...

inbalanced how? every player still has equal footing and skill still plays a factor in map control and power weapon control
You're confusing fairness with gameplay balance. Even if everything is fair that doesn't mean the gameplay isn't tilted or good.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 265
  4. 266
  5. 267
  6. 268
  7. 269
  8. ...
  9. 290