Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The return of classic movement mechanics?

OP A So So Sniper

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 266
  4. 267
  5. 268
  6. 269
  7. 270
  8. ...
  9. 288
we don’t assume anything. A member of the H5 dev team confirmed that they are aware of how split the community is due to that mechanic but they made the call to include ist because they think that players expected that mechanic in 2015. It in his speach on H5s new mechanics for some conference, I‘m sure someone can link or again (I‘m on my mobile..)
Well if there's no sprint they better increase movement speed to H5 sprint levels. Players are way too good at this point to have movement speed that slow.
uhhhhh what
How does player skill factor into movement speed? shouldn't it be a balance of gunplay and strafing?
Accurately tracking slow moving targets is too easy for most players these days. Leaving it at the old settings would lead to an imbalance because the player skill level has changed in the 20 years since Halo CE.
I'd argue that it would make the game better, as the gameplay is more casual and comprehensible and thus more accessible to the newer player. I certainly enjoy not having to excrete 18 gallons of sweat during every encounter.

Also, if the evolution of player skill is a common factor in game development, then things like double jump and wall run would never have been removed from Call of Duty because "2-dimensional combat would be too easy for players these days".

Also also, games like DOOM and Quake had wicked-fast movement speed and people still flocked to Halo CE despite its many arguable "downgrades" to the formula. Why did this happen? Because Halo's simplicity made it more accessible to the casual audience.

Also also also, games like Fortnite have pretty slow movement even with sprint, and that doesn't stop anyone from enjoying it in the modern era.
good argument.
i cant stand the "more speed" approach.
it does not help the game.
and since the majority of player in MP are casuals which are canon food anyway, a faster game pace will make it even harder for them.

For eSport, yes, speed CAN work.
But does it make the game better? still no.
Halo 1,2,3, Reach proofed it. Even H4 was at moderate speed.
And the added skill for good players is far less important than one thinks.
The real skill is overview, map control, weapon control. Non of this gets harder with more speed.
Only aiming. And i doubt this makes the game better for the majority.
Scorch27 wrote:
I hope its like Halo 4 controls but very well refined
halo 4 was an absolute major downstep for the franchise.
we don’t assume anything. A member of the H5 dev team confirmed that they are aware of how split the community is due to that mechanic but they made the call to include ist because they think that players expected that mechanic in 2015. It in his speach on H5s new mechanics for some conference, I‘m sure someone can link or again (I‘m on my mobile..)
Well if there's no sprint they better increase movement speed to H5 sprint levels. Players are way too good at this point to have movement speed that slow.
uhhhhh what
How does player skill factor into movement speed? shouldn't it be a balance of gunplay and strafing?
Accurately tracking slow moving targets is too easy for most players these days. Leaving it at the old settings would lead to an imbalance because the player skill level has changed in the 20 years since Halo CE.
then make weapons have less aim assist and bullet magnetism...

inbalanced how? every player still has equal footing and skill still plays a factor in map control and power weapon control
You're confusing fairness with gameplay balance. Even if everything is fair that doesn't mean the gameplay isn't tilted or good.
Yeah, gameplay balance and fairness can easily be maintained no matter how slow characters move. Legit just lower aim assist and magnetism and you make it harder to aim which balances out slower moving characters.
You're confusing fairness with gameplay balance. Even if everything is fair that doesn't mean the gameplay isn't tilted or good.
This is actually correct, but ironically gets overlooked by most people in favor of sprint.
"But everybody has it, so it's balanced."
Everybody having sprint makes the game "fair". It does not make the game "balanced".

As for the movement speed itself, I genuinely don't care as long as I can shoot at all times. Velocity was never the issue, it's the interplay between movement and combat that has always been the relevant part.
That being said, I'd still like some reduction in aim assist, the current amount is just ludicrous. Then balance movement speed accordingly.
uhhhhh what
I'd argue that it would make the game better, as the gameplay is more casual and comprehensible and thus more accessible to the newer player. I certainly enjoy not having to excrete 18 gallons of sweat during every encounter.

Also, if the evolution of player skill is a common factor in game development, then things like double jump and wall run would never have been removed from Call of Duty because "2-dimensional combat would be too easy for players these days".

Also also, games like DOOM and Quake had wicked-fast movement speed and people still flocked to Halo CE despite its many arguable "downgrades" to the formula. Why did this happen? Because Halo's simplicity made it more accessible to the casual audience.

Also also also, games like Fortnite have pretty slow movement even with sprint, and that doesn't stop anyone from enjoying it in the modern era.
I think people fail to realize that sprint and movement speed can be two very separate things
QtoCool wrote:
I think people fail to realize that sprint and movement speed can be two very separate things
They are both part of the discussion.
Movement speed has higher impact than particular sprints.

This is not a general discussion if "more speed is bad" rather then "does HALO needs more speed?"
I say no. All that say yes have very little arguments in my eyes because a faster pace isnt casual friendly.
And halo is a casual game.

The core gamers get there battle of skills only at higher ranked matches.
And they are free to start their own custom games like it was in Halo 2 & 3. Even in eSport like MLG they used custom settings.
Another reason not to put in the game on default. Make it an option and all are happy.
uhhhhh what
This is objectively false. Games like CSGO, Overwatch(depending on hero), and Valorant, all have slower or around the same movement speed as classical Halo gameplay. Two of those also have much higher kill times as well. Halo's an arena shooter and because of that doesn't need to adhere to the standards of Apex Legends, CoD, Fortnite, or any other shooter that currently exists. It's an entirely separate game that has succeeded in the past up until a point where the gameplay had a fundamental change.
There is absolutely no way this game won't have the classic gameplay
That's purely speculation. Making assumptions like this is goofy at best.
the oldest of Halo fans have adored! I am so pumped for this!
I think the first part of this statement is biased based on the second part. There are plenty of older Halo fans that like the new mechanics.
But all 4000 of them play h5 while the 300k a day players are waiting.
Scorch27 wrote:
At least bullets registered and aiming wasn't different every game. Ordinance, descope and classes. But maps, gameplay, shot was all pretty good.
Tetrafy wrote:
Scorch27 wrote:
At least bullets registered and aiming wasn't different every game. Ordinance, descope and classes. But maps, gameplay, shot was all pretty good.
Wrong, not good at all.
Tetrafy wrote:
Scorch27 wrote:
Wrong, not good at all.
But why was it bad. Please converse in an intelligent manner
Loadouts weren't that big of a deal to be honest. Everyone ran DMR or BR (after buff), thrust, boltshot, and the grenade perks. Not saying that I want loadouts. I just didn't mind them in h4 that much. If you wanted to be dumb enough to spawn with a lightrifle or an AR it just made you an easy kill.

Again not saying h4 was that great, but I still think it was much better than Reach.
Tetrafy wrote:
Scorch27 wrote:
Wrong, not good at all.
It's already known why H4 is hot garbage, no need to retread ground already run over a thousand times.
Tetrafy wrote:
Scorch27 wrote:
Wrong, not good at all.
It's already known why H4 is hot garbage, no need to retread ground already run over a thousand times.
I think, if only for conversational etiquette, it would be wise to retread those grounds, or at least show him where to find a good explanation.

I agree Halos 4 and 5 weren't the best, but it's getting a bit bothersome watching you shout about how terrible everything is without any productive reasoning as to why. Not everyone is as educated in these matters as you, so please remember that the next time you consider replying to someone.
You need to have some skill to judge the impact of certain perks/weapons/balance.
If someone is just too bad, dying all day and therefore has no fun, its easy to blame it on the starting weapon, ordonance drops or something else.
Doesnt make the game bad.
Tetrafy wrote:
Scorch27 wrote:
Wrong, not good at all.
Because it doesnt feel or play like a Halo game, felt more like Halo fan-fiction.
You know, I've been thinking about the Grappling Hook, specifically in campaign. Will it be possible to play through Campaign without it? I like the Just Cause series, but what if I want to go through Infinite the old fashioned way?
Tetrafy wrote:
Scorch27 wrote:
Wrong, not good at all.
Because it doesnt feel or play like a Halo game, felt more like Halo fan-fiction.
But why does it feel like this? You telling me how you think the game feels is like is interesting but not rlly helpful
i can try...
although i liked H4, i myself feel it strays from the OG Halo flair.

What i dont like started with Reach.
  • jet pack
    hated it. no skill involed, not needed at all, just a gimmick for the kids
  • thruster pack
    dont like it, but has some merits for the skill gap
  • loadouts
    i liked it alot. but i can see how others dislike it for "unequal" starting weapons.
  • ordonance drops
    in general i dont care. but the randomness was what bothered me. to get a rocket launcher by luck is plain stupid.
  • sprint
    wasnt too impactful but it speeds up the gameplay whatsoever. and thats a big one for me since Halo always was a bit leisurely.
  • sounds
    too much clicks & clacks. took away some of the atmosphere. It was just too much unnecessary noise. may help to use some old soundfiles f.e. shield recharge
  • Armor customization
    although i liked it (could live without it though) it took away the spartan vibe. some did look ugly, some like from another universe. but not the halo universe.
  • maps
    that was my biggest one. like most BTB map but hate most of the small ones. This clustered hallway maps were never mine. no room for teamshooting, flanking took too long, less alternative route, no overview, no possible shoot from one end to the other like in many OG maps.
  • playlists
    just too many "stupid" ones that thinned out the overall population.
  • gametypes
    f.e. one flag/bomb with a) to little time or b) unfair advantages for one side due to non geometric (is this the right word?) maps.
Most of these arent bad on itself.
But in mass they are distracting and fulfill no purpose.
The game does not need them to be good.
Thats why im a big supporter of reduce to the max.

In design they say:
Its not perfect if you cant add anything.
Its perfect if you cant cut out anything.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 266
  4. 267
  5. 268
  6. 269
  7. 270
  8. ...
  9. 288