Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The return of classic movement mechanics?

OP A So So Sniper

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 104
The forums stem from people who've been playing the newer games, hence the dislike for the revival of Halo - I think with plenty of thought, this reboot/sequel will be the best Halo we've had in years.
"Revival of Halo" My gods, how pretentious. Halo has needed no "reboot" or "revival", as it's been going unbroken. Half (maybe) of the fanbase wanting to "go back" and vomiting on everything 343 does most certainly doesn't indicate any sort of slump or "death" of the series.
EDIT: Wow, I didn't expect such diverse opinions on this subject. The Halo community really is split in half. I'm sorry you have to deal with us, 343 :/
It's only the Waypoint community though. On YT and various forums for what I can tell the big majority wants a classic or at least Reach-like modular gameplay. Than of course there are different opinions about speed, sprint and so on, but advanced movements like climbing, ground pound, dashing, hover and such are mostly hated by the community. The split is there, but ain't as deep as it might seems here. It just happens that most H5G fans are frequenting Waypoint more compared to other websites while old-school fans for the most part have left the party a while ago (first with Reach, than A LOT more with H4, and than came H5G to kill the mood completely).
I would be so pumped if we went back to Classic movement!
Double post.
It's only the Waypoint community though. On YT and various forums for what I can tell...
It's really hard to tell for Reddit, because it's almost not even worth commenting. Unless one's lips are firmly planted on the backside of Bungie's Halo, your comments are downvoted to Oblivion. Thankfully that ridiculousness can't happen here.
It's only the Waypoint community though. On YT and various forums for what I can tell...
It's really hard to tell for Reddit, because it's almost not even worth commenting. Unless one's lips are firmly planted on the backside of Bungie's Halo, your comments are downvoted to Oblivion. Thankfully that ridiculousness can't happen here.
Not everyone who wants classic gameplay to return is a Bungie fanboy. I personally think Destiny looks terrible and all of these changes to the formula started with Reach which was developed by Bungie. I like Halo and I don't care who the developer is as long as it's good. And in my opinion 4 and 5 are sub-par when compared to the original Trilogy. I know you're mostly speaking about Reddit but I feel that I need to make it clear as I'm tired of hearing "Bungie fanboy vs 343I fanboy" used an argument. In reality it's more along the lines of "Classic vs nu-Halo"
Classic movement >>>>>>>> Advanced Mobility nonsense any day
Not everyone who wants classic gameplay to return is a Bungie fanboy.
Which is why I said "Bungie's Halo" not "they're Bungie fanboys."
There has already been a topic for this, it’s the sprint debate... And it’s been droning on and on and on about the same thing.

Classic mechanics are classic for a reason- they were great when we had them but we should be ready for new changes with new games. Otherwise you may be better off just enjoying the older, classic Halo games instead of expecting 343i to cater to your demands in new titles.

And luckily for those diehard old school fans, 343i has been generous enough to bring back all the classic Halo titles in the MCC (except for Reach which is backwards compatible anyway) which you can all still enjoy and find MP matches on to this day.
I wouldn’t mind a light thruster still. It isn’t a controversial mechanic. As far as sprint, I kind of miss Reach’s sprint. Something a little faster than movement speed and was timed. If almost everything is made with movement speed in mind, then it wouldn’t hurt to be able to run. I’ve come to accept that sprinting is something widely expected in games and yes it is fun to be a running spartan and feel a little more immersion with the character you’re playing as.

BUT this is something that I would be totally fine with being only in Campaign. If this is in multiplayer, well hey, it’s not the end all be all for Halo. Just keep that dreaded Spartan charge out of multiplayer and slide 👌. I also wouldn’t give a damn if Ground pound was axed, I won’t miss it tbh.
"Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”
Donquixote Doflamingo
Go play arma then. Halo is supposed to be a run and gun arcade style shooter not a tactical shooter.
I'd rather play Halo. A franchise which has been so many things that it's ridiculous and limiting to say that it's "supposed to be" anything.

Quote:
The population has bottomed out since they changed to this odd quasi tactical COD in space gameplay. They tried it twice. It failed twice. Time to move on.
Twice? I think you forgot Reach. Neither has it "failed" twice, as the population has done nothing near "bottoming out." Stop over-dramatizing things just because you want to stick to the past. It's still there to play, and is even quite accessable (soon more so) on the Master Chief Collection. You know, while we're throwing out the dismissive "go play [insert game here]" line.
Ok. Let me rephrase. That is what it originally was designed to be. Hardy lebel, the man who literally single handedly created halo CE multiplayer said his goal was to make quake meets a mario party game. Halo 2 and h3 were based off of that same ideology.

25th most played on live is bottoming out. 20k daily population is bottoming out. Honestly they need to try ANYTHING else.
There has already been a topic for this, it’s the sprint debate... And it’s been droning on and on and on about the same thing.

Classic mechanics are classic for a reason- they were great when we had them but we should be ready for new changes with new games. Otherwise you may be better off just enjoying the older, classic Halo games instead of expecting 343i to cater to your demands in new titles.

And luckily for those diehard old school fans, 343i has been generous enough to bring back all the classic Halo titles in the MCC (except for Reach which is backwards compatible anyway) which you can all still enjoy and find MP matches on to this day.
So doing something NEW then. Sprint/thrust/slide/ADS isnt new by any means. The advanced mobility trend has come and gone. Its been done again and again and again.
Yeah, my only real question is whether there will be sprint and/or other "advanced mobility" mechanics, at least in the vast majority of Arena multiplayer. It would save a lot of people a lot of time if they just out and said Yes/No and let anyone who would be disappointed move on.
WerepyreND wrote:
Yeah, my only real question is whether there will be sprint and/or other "advanced mobility" mechanics, at least in the vast majority of Arena multiplayer. It would save a lot of people a lot of time if they just out and said Yes/No and let anyone who would be disappointed move on.
Yeah really. But they may be trying to gauge the community a bit.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
25th most played on live is bottoming out. 20k daily population is bottoming out. Honestly they need to try ANYTHING else.
I consider games like "Brink" or "Battleborn" to be "bottoming out." Not performing to your expectations (or even "Top 10") isn't bottoming out.

The advanced mobility trend has come and gone.
And yet it's still here.
As in we all have to walk around really slowly and such?
Game Levels and maps are designed with the gameplay mechanics in mind. Your point offers no contribution to your cause, because you could just argue that level designers will design levels with the intent of making it fun with the classic movement system. Why do you think the original trilogy was great without sprint and it didn't seem like it took forever to get to places?
VexHax wrote:
Why do you think the original trilogy was great without sprint and it didn't seem like it took forever to get to places?
Subjective. Having recently played Halo 3 for the MCC Flight #2, it did seem like it was taking forever to traverse the map.
Halo 5 perfected the movement. It's state of the art. To regress it because some low skill nerds want to play Halo 3 for the rest of their lives would be very obnoxious.
The advanced mobility is the very reason Halo 5 is NOT competitive. Look at what the pros have said. Most of them disagree with the movement system and it closes the skill gap. To call Halo 5's movement system "state of the art" is just simply absurd. Spartan charge is state of the art? Playing Halo 5 competitively must felt like a form of self harm.
I have never understood the "classic movement mechanics" debate.

I LOVE the old games, when they came out and even now. I love the new games just as much. But with each game, each aspect of it evolves and improves, including the movement mechanics.
The faster and more agile the movement mechanics, the more I personally feel immersed in both the gameplay and the story. I mean, we are playing as supersoldiers after all, should they be able to sprint, roll, dive, climb or anything that a normal person can do but better/faster?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 104