Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The return of classic movement mechanics?

OP A So So Sniper

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 29
  4. 30
  5. 31
  6. 32
  7. 33
  8. ...
  9. 289
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
A6ENT C wrote:
ZEPHER289 wrote:
I think they should stick to the classic movement controls (because of chronology) and I don’t think they should backtrack with the Spartan ability’s (this isn’t Reach) but I think they should make it look and feel like classic Halo.
How would they make it look, feel, and control like classic Halo without backtracking on the Spartan Abilities?
ZEPHER289 wrote:
Also add duel wielding, it just makes you feel like such a bad -Yoink-.
I'd have to disagree with you there. Dual-wielding made laughingstocks of the weapons that it claimed, with them becoming weaker and more redundant. Compare CE's AR and PR to H2-3's SMG and PR and you'll see a prime example of DW's toll on the weapon sandbox. It was a lackluster mechanic that was supposed to promote more weapon combos, but didn't add anything that couldn't have been done with the standard two-weapon system.
Sorry I meant Halo 5 controls:)
ZEPHER289 wrote:
A6ENT C wrote:
ZEPHER289 wrote:
I think they should stick to the classic movement controls (because of chronology) and I don’t think they should backtrack with the Spartan ability’s (this isn’t Reach) but I think they should make it look and feel like classic Halo.
How would they make it look, feel, and control like classic Halo without backtracking on the Spartan Abilities?
Sorry I meant Halo 5 controls:)
Alright, then how would they make it look and feel like classic Halo without backtracking on the Spartan Abilities and while keeping the H5 controls?

What do you mean by “because of chronology” and “this isn’t Reach”, anyways?
I think another Halo in the same style and mechanics of Halo 5 will kill the franchise once and for all
I also think a lot of players old and new will get on the hype train for a classic Halo experience
One that builds upon the success of the franchise in new and interesting ways, rather than more of what clearly isn't working
Just so we can put an exact definition on what the term “classic gameplay” refers to, can someone please list all the elements of what makes the old gameplay “classic”?
A6ENT C wrote:
ZEPHER289 wrote:
A6ENT C wrote:
ZEPHER289 wrote:
I think they should stick to the classic movement controls (because of chronology) and I don’t think they should backtrack with the Spartan ability’s (this isn’t Reach) but I think they should make it look and feel like classic Halo.
How would they make it look, feel, and control like classic Halo without backtracking on the Spartan Abilities?
Sorry I meant Halo 5 controls:)
Alright, then how would they make it look and feel like classic Halo without backtracking on the Spartan Abilities and while keeping the H5 controls?

What do you mean by “because of chronology” and “this isn’t Reach”, anyways?
Return of classic looks, classic open world feel and classic story type. You don’t need to have classic controls to make the game feel like Halo.
zInsurge wrote:
Just so we can put an exact definition on what the term “classic gameplay” refers to, can someone please list all the elements of what makes the old gameplay “classic”?
Classic: No sprint, abilities, aim down sights, small maps, fast base movement, two teams on a level playing field, and a skill based ranking system,
ZEPHER289 wrote:
A6ENT C wrote:
ZEPHER289 wrote:
A6ENT C wrote:
ZEPHER289 wrote:
I think they should stick to the classic movement controls (because of chronology) and I don’t think they should backtrack with the Spartan ability’s (this isn’t Reach) but I think they should make it look and feel like classic Halo.
How would they make it look, feel, and control like classic Halo without backtracking on the Spartan Abilities?
Sorry I meant Halo 5 controls:)
Alright, then how would they make it look and feel like classic Halo without backtracking on the Spartan Abilities and while keeping the H5 controls?

What do you mean by “because of chronology” and “this isn’t Reach”, anyways?
Return of classic looks, classic open world feel and classic story type. You don’t need to have classic controls to make the game feel like Halo.
Many people would disagree, and say that the gameplay is absolutely among the most important things, if not the most important thing, that makes the feel of the game. You can say whatever you want, you can do whatever you want, but if it has Spartan Abilities, then it won't feel like classic Halo (at least for the people who care the most about the classic feel).
tsassi wrote:
ZEPHER289 wrote:
A6ENT C wrote:
ZEPHER289 wrote:
A6ENT C wrote:
ZEPHER289 wrote:
I think they should stick to the classic movement controls (because of chronology) and I don’t think they should backtrack with the Spartan ability’s (this isn’t Reach) but I think they should make it look and feel like classic Halo.
How would they make it look, feel, and control like classic Halo without backtracking on the Spartan Abilities?
Sorry I meant Halo 5 controls:)
Alright, then how would they make it look and feel like classic Halo without backtracking on the Spartan Abilities and while keeping the H5 controls?

What do you mean by “because of chronology” and “this isn’t Reach”, anyways?
Return of classic looks, classic open world feel and classic story type. You don’t need to have classic controls to make the game feel like Halo.
Many people would disagree, and say that the gameplay is absolutely among the most important things, if not the most important thing, that makes the feel of the game. You can say whatever you want, you can do whatever you want, but if it has Spartan Abilities, then it won't feel like classic Halo (at least for the people who care the most about the classic feel).
Fair point, now that I think about it here’s what I think they should do (in my opinion).
They should keep three things, aiming being left trigger (hovering when aiming and jumping), Sprinting and being able to pull yourself up (helps with exploration). Get rid of spartan smash/sidestep/pound-(to the ground). Everything else they should keep as original as possible, they should also add this controll scheem to all the other games (as much as possible) as a option to help with fluidity.
This is just my opinion but I think it will compromise old and new because times have changed.
If I’m wrong please don’t yell at me, but I do like hearing what others think:)
A6ENT C wrote:
ZEPHER289 wrote:
A6ENT C wrote:
ZEPHER289 wrote:
I think they should stick to the classic movement controls (because of chronology) and I don’t think they should backtrack with the Spartan ability’s (this isn’t Reach) but I think they should make it look and feel like classic Halo.
How would they make it look, feel, and control like classic Halo without backtracking on the Spartan Abilities?
Sorry I meant Halo 5 controls:)
Alright, then how would they make it look and feel like classic Halo without backtracking on the Spartan Abilities and while keeping the H5 controls?

What do you mean by “because of chronology” and “this isn’t Reach”, anyways?
Reach went back to original style gameplay, dropped duel wielding and other things (I.e. certain veichles) to make it line up with Halo CE if Halo Infinite is Halo 6 then it wouldn’t make sense to unmake all the abilities done in Halo 5.
In my opinion, this game has a really high chance of bringing back the classic gameplay so many old Halo fans have adored! I am so pumped for this!

EDIT: Wow, I didn't expect such diverse opinions on this subject. The Halo community really is split in half. I'm sorry you have to deal with us, 343 :/

EDIT: 500 comments. What have I done?
I came here today to start a topic on this. Looks like I'm way late to the party - 608 replies already... I didn't get a chance to read through yet, but I wanted to add my 2 cents.
I'm really hoping that they slow this game down a lot. No sprint, no thrusters, and most importantly a slower time to kill. It feels like in H5 every gun strips your shield and kills you in absolutely no time. There is no chance to actually battle it out like in the original halo games... also guns feel way too equal in power imo
BlinKid182 wrote:
In my opinion, this game has a really high chance of bringing back the classic gameplay so many old Halo fans have adored! I am so pumped for this!

EDIT: Wow, I didn't expect such diverse opinions on this subject. The Halo community really is split in half. I'm sorry you have to deal with us, 343 :/

EDIT: 500 comments. What have I done?
I came here today to start a topic on this. Looks like I'm way late to the party - 608 replies already... I didn't get a chance to read through yet, but I wanted to add my 2 cents.
I'm really hoping that they slow this game down a lot. No sprint, no thrusters, and most importantly a slower time to kill. It feels like in H5 every gun strips your shield and kills you in absolutely no time. There is no chance to actually battle it out like in the original halo games... also guns feel way too equal in power imo
I think they should make the pistol O.P. J.K. Lol (pistol was fun to use though)
Also good idea but I do like sprint maybe they could just make the maps more open?

This post has been hidden.

0
Unknown wrote:
zInsurge wrote:
Just so we can put an exact definition on what the term “classic gameplay” refers to, can someone please list all the elements of what makes the old gameplay “classic”?
Simple to learn, hard to master. So basic movement to accomodate for controllers, a small to moderate number of player tools (weapons, grenades, power-ups, etc.) that are each balanced for specific purposes, map design that allows for tactical experimentation and focuses on always having combat occur by not restricting movement too much and not being too large, vehicles on most medium to large maps, players starting the match with the exact same equipment, and an emphasis on picking up items on the map which are limited in amount, but have predictable respawns, to become more powerful.

I'm probably missing something, but those are the most important ones, in my opinion.
Maybe all weapons have zoom LT* and less snipe spots? And not gameplay styles that make it easier for people with elite controllers

Edit: actually they could get rid of all the abilities because of the new armor.

This post has been hidden.

1
A6ENT C wrote:
ZEPHER289 wrote:
I think they should stick to the classic movement controls (because of chronology) and I don’t think they should backtrack with the Spartan ability’s (this isn’t Reach) but I think they should make it look and feel like classic Halo.
How would they make it look, feel, and control like classic Halo without backtracking on the Spartan Abilities?
ZEPHER289 wrote:
Also add duel wielding, it just makes you feel like such a bad -Yoink-.
I'd have to disagree with you there. Dual-wielding made laughingstocks of the weapons that it claimed, with them becoming weaker and more redundant. Compare CE's AR and PR to H2-3's SMG and PR and you'll see a prime example of DW's toll on the weapon sandbox. It was a lackluster mechanic that was supposed to promote more weapon combos, but didn't add anything that couldn't have been done with the standard two-weapon system.
I'll agree to a certain point, the Idea of Dual Wielding was good, but it wasn't implemented wery well (as you allready said)

Favyn has some good points regarding this topic - it's a pretty long and detailed video with some valuable arguments. He's also sceptical about Dual Wielding, but he also states there is indeed a way to balance it for Infinite (If it returns)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXBvMIM5cc8&t
I would like to think that at the very least they will turn down the notch a little with the enhanced mobility.
ZEPHER289 wrote:
A6ENT C wrote:
ZEPHER289 wrote:
A6ENT C wrote:
ZEPHER289 wrote:
I think they should stick to the classic movement controls (because of chronology) and I don’t think they should backtrack with the Spartan ability’s (this isn’t Reach) but I think they should make it look and feel like classic Halo.
How would they make it look, feel, and control like classic Halo without backtracking on the Spartan Abilities?
Sorry I meant Halo 5 controls:)
Alright, then how would they make it look and feel like classic Halo without backtracking on the Spartan Abilities and while keeping the H5 controls?

What do you mean by “because of chronology” and “this isn’t Reach”, anyways?
Return of classic looks, classic open world feel and classic story type. You don’t need to have classic controls to make the game feel like Halo.
My sentiments exactly... Just keep sprint and possibly clamber and I’ll be good with reverting everything else back to that smooth, classic feel. You hit this one perrrrrfectly! ;-)
Classic gameplay would be -Yoinking!- amazing and perfect with the new/old art design introduction, but whether 343 chooses to pursue this great idea is another question.
ZEPHER289 wrote:
BlinKid182 wrote:
In my opinion, this game has a really high chance of bringing back the classic gameplay so many old Halo fans have adored! I am so pumped for this!

EDIT: Wow, I didn't expect such diverse opinions on this subject. The Halo community really is split in half. I'm sorry you have to deal with us, 343 :/

EDIT: 500 comments. What have I done?
I came here today to start a topic on this. Looks like I'm way late to the party - 608 replies already... I didn't get a chance to read through yet, but I wanted to add my 2 cents.
I'm really hoping that they slow this game down a lot. No sprint, no thrusters, and most importantly a slower time to kill. It feels like in H5 every gun strips your shield and kills you in absolutely no time. There is no chance to actually battle it out like in the original halo games... also guns feel way too equal in power imo
I think they should make the pistol O.P. J.K. Lol (pistol was fun to use though)
Also good idea but I do like sprint maybe they could just make the maps more open?
I think they'd be better off scrapping sprint and simply increasing the base movement speed. That way, 343 won't have to design their maps around multiple movement speeds, and maybe the bullet magnetism won't be through the roof lol. Plus, players will be free to move at top speed in any direction rather than just forward.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 29
  4. 30
  5. 31
  6. 32
  7. 33
  8. ...
  9. 289