Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The return of classic movement mechanics?

OP A So So Sniper

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 34
  4. 35
  5. 36
  6. 37
  7. 38
  8. ...
  9. 133
VexHax wrote:
Why do you think the original trilogy was great without sprint and it didn't seem like it took forever to get to places?
Subjective. Having recently played Halo 3 for the MCC Flight #2, it did seem like it was taking forever to traverse the map.
No I haven’t tried any of those games. I’m not trying to Doom Halo (or Quake it or whatever other game you want to turn it into).

So if we add advanced movement mechanics, then Halo is copying CoD, but if we remove movement mechanics, then it’s copying Doom or Quake. Make up your mind, internet.
Try again- Halo 5 is so much different than CoD in so many ways, including its movement mechanics. If sprint is all you’ve got when it comes to the comparison then your point holds no merit.

On the flip side, if you try to match Doom’s movement mechanics by taking away all of Halo 5’s unique flavor when it comes to the advanced movement system then it would very likely result in a copy of that game; especially when it comes to movement.

I’m not suggesting that everything about Halo 5’s advanced movement system is perfect (IE: SC, GP, sliding, thrust, clamber, etc), but it’s definitely unique to Halo; especially compared directly to CoD.
I believe classic movement needs to come back. The problem is everyone thought it needed to change and it didn't. I'm all for change, but it has to be the right change.
VexHax wrote:
Why do you think the original trilogy was great without sprint and it didn't seem like it took forever to get to places?
Subjective. Having recently played Halo 3 for the MCC Flight #2, it did seem like it was taking forever to traverse the map.
No I haven’t tried any of those games. I’m not trying to Doom Halo (or Quake it or whatever other game you want to turn it into).

So if we add advanced movement mechanics, then Halo is copying CoD, but if we remove movement mechanics, then it’s copying Doom or Quake. Make up your mind, internet.
Well, technically both are true!^^' HCE basically build upon classic arena shooters, added an unique gunplay and put granedes and melee on separate buttons.

Halo than started the FPS trend on consoles, everyone copied its base mechanics, shields were replaced with sprint and instant gratification via kill-streeks.

Than it was Halo's turn again to copy what was new and hip at the moment, which was the fast paced crowed. First with CoD in H4, than with TF in H5. Problem is, Halo can't get rid of shields and that kind of gameplay just doesn't work with a high TTK. The pacing in H5G is terrible because of this factor, at least imho.

Copying ain't bad, do it wrong however and you get something that ain't fish nor steak. Or even salad in the case of Halo 4. Never thought I would sell a Halo entry, but back than I actually did! XD
I want them to remove sprint. DOOM worked perfectly without sprint by increasing the base movement speed. Halo can do the same.
VexHax wrote:
Why do you think the original trilogy was great without sprint and it didn't seem like it took forever to get to places?
Subjective. Having recently played Halo 3 for the MCC Flight #2, it did seem like it was taking forever to traverse the map.
No I haven’t tried any of those games. I’m not trying to Doom Halo

Copying ain't bad, do it wrong however and you get something that ain't fish nor steak. Or even salad in the case of Halo 4. Never thought I would sell a Halo entry, but back than I actually did! XD
You were not alone- a lot of ppl sold Halo 4 relatively quickly compared to other Halos.

But what was the real reason behind that mass exodus? There were so many other critical issues which created a general distain for H4. 343i’s first real crack at a Halo game was not without its flaws- substantial issues with the story, ultra-linear (and constrained) campaign levels, character designs (specifically detrimental changes to the covenant), lack of Flood and brutes, predicticable and limited AI combat, the art, the maps etc detracted from its replayability. I’m surprised that I hung around as long as I did, but without sprint I would have certainly jettisoned the scene quite quickly. If there’s anything that Halo 4 did relatively right, it was the raw movement mechanics... Not saying they were perfect (they were not) but sprint provided a layer of satisfaction to have a choice to alter movement trajectory (as the situation dictated). It was liberating to finally have this ability to chose whenever I needed to move faster like a real Spartan should (vice just one faster BMS that provides no choices in this regard).
Hope so!! I’m so freaking sick of spartan abilities
Could not agree more. I am really hoping they improved the gameplay as much as they have the art style this time around. And to me, that means dropping most of if not all spartan abilities. Especially sprint, I truly hate what sprinting has done to the gameplay.
Although I see your point regarding the spartan abilities, I disagree, and this is from someone who has been playing Halo since Halo 2. I think that the new mechanics enchance the gameplay experience making Halo's multiplayer more dynamic and fun. The reason why I think this is true is because if you remove all the spartan abilities (specially sprint) you would be left with a sluggish spartan, and that would make the multiplayer boring, and yes, "classic" Halo multiplayer was awesome, but the reality is that it does no fit in anyomore. However, I would love to see an additional gametype where you can only play with the classic mechanics, and see how it compares to the new ones. Anyway, I hope that the new Halo can please all (or most) of its target audience and bring Halo back to the top again!
Gus280999 wrote:
Hope so!! I’m so freaking sick of spartan abilities
Could not agree more. I am really hoping they improved the gameplay as much as they have the art style this time around. And to me, that means dropping most of if not all spartan abilities. Especially sprint, I truly hate what sprinting has done to the gameplay.
Although I see your point regarding the spartan abilities, I disagree, and this is from someone who has been playing Halo since Halo 2. I think that the new mechanics enchance the gameplay experience making Halo's multiplayer more dynamic and fun. The reason why I think this is true is because if you remove all the spartan abilities (specially sprint) you would be left with a sluggish spartan, and that would make the multiplayer boring, and yes, "classic" Halo multiplayer was awesome, but the reality is that it does no fit in anyomore. However, I would love to see an additional gametype where you can only play with the classic mechanics, and see how it compares to the new ones. Anyway, I hope that the new Halo can please all (or most) of its target audience and bring Halo back to the top again!
A classic game type in halo infinite will only enrage people like they did in halo 5 making "halo 3 throw back" the weopons physics,magnetism don't work .

You said the classic halo experience won't work anymore....that is incorrect,wrong.It hasn't been tryed since halo 3 which was the best in the series .
If you show me how classic gameplay won't work today I'll apologize, but there is not one shread of proof.

Hopefully for the love of god halo infinite will have Classic gameplay. Please Jesus.
Don't ruin your final chance 343
If 343 makes abilities and sprint in halo infinite it will kill HALO.

If they try adding classic and modern halo in one game it will hurt both sides.They have to double everything from ,firefight,multiplayer, campaign ect...
Its impossible for them to do it.

Personally settling for half a game is unexpectedly. Nobody will handle it.Especially for classic\mature halo players.

Whatever 343 is going to do it'll be interesting for everybody when they show us the gameplay.
OxDaV wrote:
If 343 makes abilities and sprint in halo infinite it will kill HALO.

If they try adding classic and modern halo in one game it will hurt both sides.They have to double everything from ,firefight,multiplayer, campaign ect...
Its impossible for them to do it.

Personally settling for half a game is unexpectedly. Nobody will handle it.Especially for classic\mature halo players.

Whatever 343 is going to do it'll be interesting for everybody when they show us the gameplay.
yea im predicting a beta/flight around end of the year/early next year
OxDaV wrote:
If 343 makes abilities and sprint in halo infinite it will kill HALO.

If they try adding classic and modern halo in one game it will hurt both sides.They have to double everything from ,firefight,multiplayer, campaign ect...
Its impossible for them to do it.

Personally settling for half a game is unexpectedly. Nobody will handle it.Especially for classic\mature halo players.

Whatever 343 is going to do it'll be interesting for everybody when they show us the gameplay.
yea im predicting a beta/flight around end of the year/early next year
Thats optimistic, I'd assume they will show first gameplay next e3 and start with their test flights around this time next year (at best)
<p></p>
OxDaV wrote:
If 343 makes abilities and sprint in halo infinite it will kill HALO.

If they try adding classic and modern halo in one game it will hurt both sides.They have to double everything from ,firefight,multiplayer, campaign ect...
Its impossible for them to do it.

Personally settling for half a game is unexpectedly. Nobody will handle it.Especially for classic\mature halo players.

Whatever 343 is going to do it'll be interesting for everybody when they show us the gameplay.
yea im predicting a beta/flight around end of the year/early next year
Thats optimistic, I'd assume they will show first gameplay next e3 and start with their test flights around this time next year (at best)
<p></p>
it makes sense if they are going the halo 5 route doing it early on to properly use feedback
Im sure nobody will see this in the sea of comments, but one thing to remember is that there are people coming into halo right at halo 4 and 5 with the newer movement mechanics, and older generations coming back to halo from the CE, 2, and 3 era of Bungie. People are going to be split either way about anything 343 does now.

I prefer the old mechanics of halo, because to me it felt different than everything else, it had its own identity. It didn't feel like any other shooter. I can see why some people love the halo 5 mechanics too, though, and how you can navigate around the maps much faster.

to me it seems like 343 might bring back the old art style of halo 3, while using some mechanics of 5, considering they said the maps (or world) are going to be bigger. It would make sense that they allow you to navigate them faster. You could also argue that 343 could just add vehicles and old movement, and thats honestly what I would prefer, but we can only wait and see. so little has been announced yet that it would be painful to get your hopes up about the old movement coming back only for 343 to announce that they're not going to do that.

anyway, I'm excited about infinite and what it has in store for us.
OxDaV wrote:
If 343 makes abilities and sprint in halo infinite it will kill HALO.

If they try adding classic and modern halo in one game it will hurt both sides.They have to double everything from ,firefight,multiplayer, campaign ect...
Its impossible for them to do it.

Personally settling for half a game is unexpectedly. Nobody will handle it.Especially for classic\mature halo players.

Whatever 343 is going to do it'll be interesting for everybody when they show us the gameplay.
yea im predicting a beta/flight around end of the year/early next year
Thats optimistic, I'd assume they will show first gameplay next e3 and start with their test flights around this time next year (at best)
<p></p>
it makes sense if they are going the halo 5 route doing it early on to properly use feedback
starting tests mid 2019 is still rather early if they go for a late 2020 release, I really don't see them launching HI next year
OxDaV wrote:
If 343 makes abilities and sprint in halo infinite it will kill HALO.

If they try adding classic and modern halo in one game it will hurt both sides.They have to double everything from ,firefight,multiplayer, campaign ect...
Its impossible for them to do it.

Personally settling for half a game is unexpectedly. Nobody will handle it.Especially for classic\mature halo players.

Whatever 343 is going to do it'll be interesting for everybody when they show us the gameplay.
yea im predicting a beta/flight around end of the year/early next year
Thats optimistic, I'd assume they will show first gameplay next e3 and start with their test flights around this time next year (at best)
<p></p>
it makes sense if they are going the halo 5 route doing it early on to properly use feedback
starting tests mid 2019 is still rather early if they go for a late 2020 release, I really don't see them launching HI next year
again we don't know how far long they are in production im still think its out next year if im wrong oh well im wrong
Gus280999 wrote:
Hope so!! I’m so freaking sick of spartan abilities
Could not agree more. I am really hoping they improved the gameplay as much as they have the art style this time around. And to me, that means dropping most of if not all spartan abilities. Especially sprint, I truly hate what sprinting has done to the gameplay.
Although I see your point regarding the spartan abilities, I disagree, and this is from someone who has been playing Halo since Halo 2. I think that the new mechanics enchance the gameplay experience making Halo's multiplayer more dynamic and fun. The reason why I think this is true is because if you remove all the spartan abilities (specially sprint) you would be left with a sluggish spartan, and that would make the multiplayer boring, and yes, "classic" Halo multiplayer was awesome, but the reality is that it does no fit in anyomore. However, I would love to see an additional gametype where you can only play with the classic mechanics, and see how it compares to the new ones. Anyway, I hope that the new Halo can please all (or most) of its target audience and bring Halo back to the top again!
Halo has always been an arena shooter. It’s not even the same type of shooter as CoD or TF which 4 and 5 have taken heavy inspiration from.

The recent DOOM is proof that a good shooter, especially an arena one, does not need crazy movement mechanics or sprint to work.

The most important things to do to not make it feel like a slug-fest are to increase base movement speed, FOV, increase the effects of momentum on the player at full speed, and make smaller maps for 4v4 and 8v8 modes. This has the added affect of making vehicular play mandatory for BTB maps which were absent from H5 for a long time.
VexHax wrote:
Why do you think the original trilogy was great without sprint and it didn't seem like it took forever to get to places?
Subjective. Having recently played Halo 3 for the MCC Flight #2, it did seem like it was taking forever to traverse the map.
No I haven’t tried any of those games. I’m not trying to Doom Halo (or Quake it or whatever other game you want to turn it into).

So if we add advanced movement mechanics, then Halo is copying CoD, but if we remove movement mechanics, then it’s copying Doom or Quake. Make up your mind, internet.
Try again- Halo 5 is so much different than CoD in so many ways, including its movement mechanics. If sprint is all you’ve got when it comes to the comparison then your point holds no merit.

On the flip side, if you try to match Doom’s movement mechanics by taking away all of Halo 5’s unique flavor when it comes to the advanced movement system then it would very likely result in a copy of that game; especially when it comes to movement.

I’m not suggesting that everything about Halo 5’s advanced movement system is perfect (IE: SC, GP, sliding, thrust, clamber, etc), but it’s definitely unique to Halo; especially compared directly to CoD.
If by unique in the sense of let's punish you for using said ability then sure, after that there's nothing else to it. I can look at the advanced CoDs, Titanfall, destiny, ect ect and see just another generic shooter that has the same things everything else does. What's unique when you have the same things as everyone else?

So do indulge me on what's so unique to Halo 5 that makes it stand out to be considered as such?
Just answer one question prosprint people, How does sprint improve Halo?

You could say it makes you move faster, but since the maps are enlarged to account for that, you reach your destination about the same time (Midship/Truth).

You could say it speeds up the game, but running away and throwing a grenade at the doorway just prolongs the engagement. All because of your choice to move to a bad position. Plus larger maps.

You could say it helps you traverse larger maps, but that is what man cannons, teleporters, and vehicles are for.

You could say it’s the lore, but you can’t swim, go prone,...

You could say it helps people who aren’t as skilled survive, but the game has hitscan weapons and overly aggressive aim assist.

All it really does is make you feel faster because at the end of the day, you want to go fast while moving. I doesn’t matter if respawn times are increased, vehicles become almost useless, maps are enlarged, weapons are completely reworked, grenades have a larger blast, aim assist is through the roof,... All that matters is that if feels like you are moving fast.
SHUT UP YOU GUYS NEITHER GAMEPLAY STYLE IS BETTER. That's not even the argument most classic fans are (or at least I am) trying to make! Whether-or-not the old mechanics are better than the new is IRRELEVANT. What's relevant is the fact that modern Halo doesn't play ANYTHING like classic Halo, and that's not ok. I should be able to git gud at Halo 3, then jump into Halo 5 and still be gud (which obviously isn't the case). Now, I actually AGREE with a lot of modern Halo fans about the modern gameplay being fun. In fact, I PREFER faster gameplay to slower gameplay in FPSs! But once again, that doesn't matter! What matters is that Halo is in an ID crisis, and it needs to return to its roots not because they're BETTER but because they're what made Halo unique in the FIRST PLACE. And don't any of you modern fans bring up how little competition Halo CE had. Yeah, CE had barely any competition, but Halo 3 had a LOT of competition, (CoD, Battlefield, Battlefront, HL, etc.) but how come it still survived? It had a good campaign, good multiplayer, but MOST OF ALL you couldn't really find that kind of slow-paced YET adrenaline-pumping gameplay ANYWHERE ELSE at the time. And honestly, the same applies now. If they brought back classic gameplay, you wouldn't be able find it ANYWHERE ELSE, and don't any of you modern OR classic fans bring up how DOOM has no sprint; it may not have sprint but it's still FAST-PACED (faster than games WITH sprint like Halo 5). Look modern fans, I get it, you don't want classic gameplay to replace modern gameplay, and neither do I,but I don't want CLASSIC gameplay being replaced by MODERN gameplay. My solution: Give Halo Infinite classic gameplay, continue to support Halo 5 for a couple more years, get rid of REQ packs in Halo 5, use the extra money from the REQ packs to start pumping GOOD free DLC for the next couple of years (no, the free DLC that's been made for Halo 5 so far HASN'T been worth two craps), make the next Halo game AFTER Halo Infinite have MODERN gameplay and then quit support for Halo 5, and then continue the pattern. And NO, DON'T MAKE any Halo games with half modern and half classic gameplay, that's spreading the money thin and thus BOTH styles would suffer.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
What's relevant is the fact that modern Halo doesn't play ANYTHING like classic Halo, and that's not ok. I should be able to git gud at Halo 3, then jump into Halo 5 and still be gud (which obviously isn't the case).
That doesn't happen anywhere. Just because you're good at Halo CE doesn't mean you're automatically good at Halo 2.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 34
  4. 35
  5. 36
  6. 37
  7. 38
  8. ...
  9. 133