Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The return of classic movement mechanics?

OP A So So Sniper

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 36
  4. 37
  5. 38
  6. 39
  7. 40
  8. ...
  9. 158
OxDaV wrote:
You’d be surprised how far they will double down.

Of all the ridiculous things happening in the story, how would Guilty Spark survive.
I’m honestly curious as to how that happened. Can some lore nut explain how Spark survived, and how he was used in the story post-H3?
Apparently, His "shell" or what was left of it went through the portal, and found by a UNSC ship in distant space and was promptly interrogated. The monitor downloaded all of the data on the ship, though his personality was even more fragmented than it was before, due to being spartan lasered. After the interrogation, the monitor somehow put the crew in hibernation and took control of the ship, in search of the Librarian I believe.
Dear god, this is getting convoluted.

On classic movement, please explain how enhanced mobilty helps the game? Keep in mind maps are extended, weapons are changed, vehicles are useless, motion trackers aren’t very helpful anymore, aim assist has been upped considerably,... all because of sprli
That is perfectly said because of sprint everything is changed,motion trackers,AIM ASSIST, magnetism.
Sprint -yoinks- the essence of halo.
Creating a classic playlist which they have done doesn't work weopon traits.

Its the same as if you add a modern playlist to halo 3 ,sprinting on those maps and the modern abilities. Now the halo 5 with its weopons magnetism and aim assist changes halo in a very serious way,sadly not everyone realize how these abilities and sprint downgrades the game.

People saying "get over it sprint is the best thing in halo and its here to stay.Bungie fans go play MCC ( which you can't find a match for 5 years)
These people don't understand the ramifications it has to halos identity . There are dedicated videos which PROVE sprint and abilities ruin the game.

Classic Halo mechanics must return -- if they return and halo infinite will be a success.If it doesn't succeeded it will be no classic movement reason .
In my opinion, this game has a really high chance of bringing back the classic gameplay so many old Halo fans have adored! I am so pumped for this!

EDIT: Wow, I didn't expect such diverse opinions on this subject. The Halo community really is split in half. I'm sorry you have to deal with us, 343 :/

EDIT: 500 comments. What have I done?
while I'd be excited too we can't be getting our hopes to high yet until the final release it out. My bet is like the Art Style they are going to try and mix the two. But have a more Classic Core feel to it.
Well, personally, I'd prefer classic gameplay. If they do decide to keep some advanced movement, then it should be Sprint, clamber, and slide. ADS shouldn't be in Halo. Bring back armor abilities and equipment. AA's like jetpack and thruster pack/evade would appeal to the newer audience. AA's should change your Spartans interactions with the sandbox, and equipment should change the sandbox. Equipment is physical changes to the map, like bubble shields, landmines, power drains, etc. AA's are things that change your spartans interactions with the map, like jetpack, thruster pack/evade, Promethean vision, etc. I want duel wielding back. I want the flashlight back, even though it was a small feature, it added to the immersion. I want Halo Infinite to be Halo again. Because Halo hasn't felt like Halo for a long time, not since Reach. Having played Halo since I was about five or six, starting with Halo CE, I think I have a good idea of how Halo should be. But it's my opinion, it's not necessarily right or wrong. I believe, in order for Halo to stand out again in the FPS market, it needs to return to it's classic gameplay. Halo was once the trend setter and stand out of the FPS genre, and now it's been copying from other franchises to change it's image to fit a larger audience, and what that's done is destroy it's reputation. People who want to play Halo are left in the dust because now it doesn't play like Halo, or look like Halo. And why would someone who plays CoD or Titanfall play Halo when they already have their own game series that plays and looks and feels how they want it to? And with the bad launch of Halo 5 and MCC, 343i needs to do something to stand out. They need to stop following the examples, and start setting examples for the rest of the FPS genre. Halo can easily reclaim it's place as King of FPS's, if it can reclaim it's identity as Halo. If it goes back to it's roots, and reclaims it's past gameplay, sound design, art style, and story telling style, it will definitely succeed. Just my opinion though.
Classic halo needs to come back to save halo
OxDaV wrote:
Classic halo needs to come back to save halo
I couldn't agree more. Get rid of ground pound, spartan charge and clamber. Keep the ability to thrust from side to side and keep sprint.
eTs Wild wrote:
OxDaV wrote:
Classic halo needs to come back to save halo
I couldn't agree more. Get rid of ground pound, spartan charge and clamber. Keep the ability to thrust from side to side and keep sprint.
Keep sprint,no no no no no no no no no no no no.
Sprint is the problem.And all abilities no no no no no no.
I did like jet pack or hologram but not when you spawn ,picking it up is the way.

Spawning with nothing is halo.Spawn with no abilities and sprint.If sprint was pick up ability that spawns every 3 minutes on the map I could handle it .One person sprinting around because he got it first, like weopons.

Then only then I could handle abilities or sprint.If its on the map( like reach)but spawning with abilities is no no no.
OxDaV wrote:
eTs Wild wrote:
OxDaV wrote:
Classic halo needs to come back to save halo
I couldn't agree more. Get rid of ground pound, spartan charge and clamber. Keep the ability to thrust from side to side and keep sprint.
Keep sprint,no no no no no no no no no no no no.
Sprint is the problem.And all abilities no no no no no no.
Keep sprint... yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

Sprint is the solution; granted it’s implemented carefully and properly.

Seems like a great plan to me, drop ground pound, shoulder charge, maybe even clamber and keep on keeping classes out of the game and you’ve got a classic formula for success. ;-)
OxDaV wrote:
eTs Wild wrote:
OxDaV wrote:
Classic halo needs to come back to save halo
I couldn't agree more. Get rid of ground pound, spartan charge and clamber. Keep the ability to thrust from side to side and keep sprint.
Keep sprint,no no no no no no no no no no no no.
Sprint is the problem.And all abilities no no no no no no.
I did like jet pack or hologram but not when you spawn ,picking it up is the way.

Spawning with nothing is halo.Spawn with no abilities and sprint.If sprint was pick up ability that spawns every 3 minutes on the map I could handle it .One person sprinting around because he got it first, like weopons.

Then only then I could handle abilities or sprint.If its on the map( like reach)but spawning with abilities is no no no.
I dislike sprint as well but I'm sure we all know that they won't be taking it out of halo any time soon. I would love it if they did but they probably won't. I wouldn't mind it being a pick up tho.
eTs Wild wrote:
OxDaV wrote:
Classic halo needs to come back to save halo
I couldn't agree more. Get rid of ground pound, spartan charge and clamber. Keep the ability to thrust from side to side and keep sprint.
What part of "Classic Halo" made you think of Halo with thrust and sprint? That doesn't sound like the classic Halo I know....

I personally would like it if they just kept the thrust mechanic, I feel it's least game-breaking and the most fun to use. Having at least thrust and removing everything else would certainly make the classic fans happy, and maybe even some of the modern fans.
No abilities
OxDaV wrote:
eTs Wild wrote:
OxDaV wrote:
Classic halo needs to come back to save halo
I couldn't agree more. Get rid of ground pound, spartan charge and clamber. Keep the ability to thrust from side to side and keep sprint.
Keep sprint,no no no no no no no no no no no no.
Sprint is the problem.And all abilities no no no no no no.
Keep sprint... yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

Sprint is the solution; granted it’s implemented carefully and properly.

Seems like a great plan to me, drop ground pound, shoulder charge, maybe even clamber and keep on keeping classes out of the game and you’ve got a classic formula for success. ;-)
But that’s not the gameplay that made Halo 3 popular, is it?
Halo 5 Guardians movement mechanics are perfectly fine.

Look, I understand that the "old movement" mechanics are wanted back by the some of the old conservative fans. (I am an OG Halo player, but I have a more progressive view) But they are from 2001. There were hardly any "sprints" back then.

Personally, I think the Spartans should move like super soldiers. Now I don't want them to handle like Titanfall. But H5G has a good balance
NxtDutch wrote:
Halo 5 Guardians movement mechanics are perfectly fine.

Look, I understand that the "old movement" mechanics are wanted back by the some of the old conservative fans. (I am an OG Halo player, but I have a more progressive view) But they are from 2001. There were hardly any "sprints" back then.

Personally, I think the Spartans should move like super soldiers. Now I don't want them to handle like Titanfall. But H5G has a good balance
It's not like the idea of "Sprint" is a new mechanic either, it was around for almost as long. I remember GTA San Andreas having Sprint in 2004, and that's just the top of my head. Apparently GTA 3 has Sprint, and that came out before Halo: Combat Evolved. Soooo....

A mechanic isn't determined by its age, it's determined by its quality to the game it's in.

Otherwise games like Cuphead would be dead on arrival for it's "dated" looks and gameplay. Or a game like DOOM would be dead in the water for not having Sprint instead of getting a sequel right now.

I think Spartans should move like super soldiers, but half of these Spartan Abilities do the opposite, now I just feel like a regular human with a jetpack.
NxtDutch wrote:
Halo 5 Guardians movement mechanics are perfectly fine.

Look, I understand that the "old movement" mechanics are wanted back by the some of the old conservative fans. (I am an OG Halo player, but I have a more progressive view) But they are from 2001. There were hardly any "sprints" back then.

Personally, I think the Spartans should move like super soldiers. Now I don't want them to handle like Titanfall. But H5G has a good balance
Ah, the good old "Lore" Argument. But Spartans are able to keep their gun up while sprinting, what about that?
DaekLaw wrote:
NxtDutch wrote:
Halo 5 Guardians movement mechanics are perfectly fine.

Look, I understand that the "old movement" mechanics are wanted back by the some of the old conservative fans. (I am an OG Halo player, but I have a more progressive view) But they are from 2001. There were hardly any "sprints" back then.

Personally, I think the Spartans should move like super soldiers. Now I don't want them to handle like Titanfall. But H5G has a good balance
Ah, the good old "Lore" Argument. But Spartans are able to keep their gun up while sprinting, what about that, Mr. more progressive?
Yeah it’s pretty solid. Imagine if Chief would have insisted on putzing along instead of sprinting after he killed the Prophet of Regret... Under your logic he shouldn’t have ran as fast as he could so Chief should have just been killed in the middle of H2. Your argument is invalid- you may not like it but sprinting will always be more realistic and true to lore.
DaekLaw wrote:
NxtDutch wrote:
Halo 5 Guardians movement mechanics are perfectly fine.

Look, I understand that the "old movement" mechanics are wanted back by the some of the old conservative fans. (I am an OG Halo player, but I have a more progressive view) But they are from 2001. There were hardly any "sprints" back then.

Personally, I think the Spartans should move like super soldiers. Now I don't want them to handle like Titanfall. But H5G has a good balance
Ah, the good old "Lore" Argument. But Spartans are able to keep their gun up while sprinting, what about that, Mr. more progressive?
Yeah it’s pretty solid. Imagine if Chief would have insisted on putzing along instead of sprinting after he killed the Prophet of Regret... Under your logic he shouldn’t have ran as fast as he could so Chief should have just been killed in the middle of H2.
If you haven't noticed yet: He had no guns ins his hands in this particular cutscene - and even if: His goal was not to shoot someone, his goal was just to escape the incoming attack.
It has been proven several times, that spartans can shoot at high speed.

I don't even have to come up with new arguments (I did anyways in several other threads) you can't even present your own standpoint in a good way.
DaekLaw wrote:
DaekLaw wrote:
NxtDutch wrote:
Halo 5 Guardians movement mechanics are perfectly fine.

Look, I understand that the "old movement" mechanics are wanted back by the some of the old conservative fans. (I am an OG Halo player, but I have a more progressive view) But they are from 2001. There were hardly any "sprints" back then.

Personally, I think the Spartans should move like super soldiers. Now I don't want them to handle like Titanfall. But H5G has a good balance
Ah, the good old "Lore" Argument. But Spartans are able to keep their gun up while sprinting, what about that, Mr. more progressive?
Yeah it’s pretty solid. Imagine if Chief would have insisted on putzing along instead of sprinting after he killed the Prophet of Regret... Under your logic he shouldn’t have ran as fast as he could so Chief should have just been killed in the middle of H2.
If you haven't noticed yet: He had no guns ins his hands in this particular cutscene - and even if: His goal was not to shoot someone, his goal was just to escape the incoming attack.
It has been proven several times, that spartans can shoot at high speed.

I don't even have to come up with new arguments (I did anyways in several other threads) you can't even present your own standpoint in a good way.
You don’t really have an argument because top speed requires sprinting. When the situation dictates, Spartans (clearly) need to sprint in order to achieve maximum speed, which means (just like Chief sprinting away in that clip) sprint is much more realistic and true to lore.

Also Chief had a weapon in his hand at the end of the fight with Regret, but clearly the situation dictated that it was more important that he moved as fast as physically possible so he either holstered it or threw it away intentionally in favor of sprinting away from the situation (lest he literally become glassed just to satisfy your anti sprint requirements). Even in classic Halo games, Bungie reinforced that top speed cannot be accomplished when walking around with a weapon at the ready.

Spoiler:
Show
I can't agree with classic movement. By today's standards and industry developments when it comes to revolutionizing games, it's always a step forward, not backwards. We were limited in the past with what engines could do, and while nostalgia can run rampant in the minds of people who loved past experiences, the Halo franchise as a whole literally cannot go back to classic movement.

It's not feasible and only slows down and restricts gameplay immensely. Halo 5 is my favorite engine to play on of any Halo game to date simply because of the vast amount of options and mechanics readily available to the player. It emphasizes strategy and multiple more playstyles than the simple run-n-gun, grenades, and melee. The reason I love Halo so much is maps are aesthetically prepared based on the tools we have available. Older maps we're so simple. So boring. Look at what we get now compared to the past.

It's a no-brainer to keep what we have and keep moving forward.
DaekLaw wrote:
DaekLaw wrote:
NxtDutch wrote:
Halo 5 Guardians movement mechanics are perfectly fine.

Look, I understand that the "old movement" mechanics are wanted back by the some of the old conservative fans. (I am an OG Halo player, but I have a more progressive view) But they are from 2001. There were hardly any "sprints" back then.

Personally, I think the Spartans should move like super soldiers. Now I don't want them to handle like Titanfall. But H5G has a good balance
Ah, the good old "Lore" Argument. But Spartans are able to keep their gun up while sprinting, what about that, Mr. more progressive?
Yeah it’s pretty solid. Imagine if Chief would have insisted on putzing along instead of sprinting after he killed the Prophet of Regret... Under your logic he shouldn’t have ran as fast as he could so Chief should have just been killed in the middle of H2.
If you haven't noticed yet: He had no guns ins his hands in this particular cutscene - and even if: His goal was not to shoot someone, his goal was just to escape the incoming attack.
It has been proven several times, that spartans can shoot at high speed.

I don't even have to come up with new arguments (I did anyways in several other threads) you can't even present your own standpoint in a good way.
You don’t really have an argument because top speed requires sprinting. When the situation dictates, Spartans (clearly) need to sprint in order to achieve maximum speed, which means (just like Chief sprinting away in that clip) sprint is much more realistic and true to lore.

Also Chief had a weapon in his hand at the end of the fight with Regret, but clearly the situation dictated that it was more important that he moved as fast as physically possible so he either holstered it or threw it away intentionally in favor of sprinting away from the situation (lest he literally become glassed just to satisfy your anti sprint requirements). Even in classic Halo games, Bungie reinforced that top speed cannot be accomplished when walking around with a weapon at the ready.

Spoiler:
Show
So, you admit that you have to throw your weapons away to achieve maximum speed (which is true), but this doesn't fit into gameplay, because you have to drag your weapons always with you in multiplayer and in the campaign (for the most part).

I can't agree with classic movement. By today's standards and industry developments when it comes to revolutionizing games, it's always a step forward, not backwards. We were limited in the past with what engines could do, and while nostalgia can run rampant in the minds of people who loved past experiences, the Halo franchise as a while literally cannot go back to classic movement.

It's not feasible and only slows down and restricts gameplay immensely. Happy 5 is my favorite engine to play on of any Happy game to date simply because of the vast amount of options and mechanics readily available to the player. It emphasizes strategy and multiple more playstyles than the simple run-n-gun, grenades, and melee. The reason I love Halo so much is maps are aesthetically prepared based on the tools we have available. Older maps we're so simple. So boring. Look at what we get no compared to the past.

It's a no-brainer to keep what we have and keep moving forward.
1) What has sprint to do with "revolutionizing" games? Sprint existed back then in several games, it's not a new mechanic. Sprint & Clamber just slow down the gameplay, but to realize that, you have to see the bigger picture and calculate various factors (Stretching the maps, Halos Sandbox, no teleporters & man cannons anymore (dev. made maps), Cat-Mouse Gameplay, waiting to recharge your shields, radar has become useless, putting your gun down for every single animation, not able to turn 360 at full speed, limit the players view) etc. etc.

2) Restricts the gameplay? Nah, the less abilities you build in your spartan, the more you can get creative with your maps (Like the wheel on zanzibar, or w. vehicles, man cannons, teleporters)
If you have all these abilities right from the start, you have to design every map around them - which leads to repetitive gameplay, every map plays basicially the same.

3) What you call "simple Run'n'Gun" is an etablished way to play FPS, while the enhanced mobility trend was there for 4-5 years and is already gone.

4) I look at what we have now and what I see is the same map over and over again with a different skin. No wonder. The maps with the most likes & bookmarks (For slayer & objectives, made by the community) are the ones with "simple", good layouts. These maps lead more towards boots on the ground gameplay.

So, if they keep this "we have to copy elements from other games" mentality, it would be more of a "no-brainer" to bring out another game with enhanced mobility and a step backwards. But it doesn't look like it. It seems more like they are willing to put in work for a new, unique game. It seems like they've learned from their mistakes.
I can't agree with classic movement. By today's standards and industry developments when it comes to revolutionizing games, it's always a step forward, not backwards. We were limited in the past with what engines could do, and while nostalgia can run rampant in the minds of people who loved past experiences, the Halo franchise as a while literally cannot go back to classic movement.

It's not feasible and only slows down and restricts gameplay immensely. Happy 5 is my favorite engine to play on of any Happy game to date simply because of the vast amount of options and mechanics readily available to the player. It emphasizes strategy and multiple more playstyles than the simple run-n-gun, grenades, and melee. The reason I love Halo so much is maps are aesthetically prepared based on the tools we have available. Older maps we're so simple. So boring. Look at what we get no compared to the past.

It's a no-brainer to keep what we have and keep moving forward.
"By today's standards and industry developments when it comes to revolutionizing games, it's always a step forward, not backwards." What's revolutionary of today's Industry? There's 50 shooters that all play the same. Anything new tends to be based off what's already been done, it's hardly revolutionary to me. I also will never understand the point that we're going backwards if the classic anything to any game is brought back, it's a moot point when some of those games end up better than the modern approach. If going backwards equates to being more unique then it's not really going backwards.

"the Halo franchise as a while literally cannot go back to classic movement." Why? If others can what's stopping Halo? It's not physically impossible for it to do so.

"It's not feasible and only slows down and restricts gameplay immensely." Have you heard the arguments on the new movement? To me (gotta make sure it's an opinion ya know...)you had more options in the older games than you do now. You could move full speed in any direction, now it's only achievable going forwards and that's it, it makes Omni directional movement worthless. You also had more combat readiness to you, now you can get shot while using these "revolutionary" mechanics and you can't even fight back. You also didn't have such large penalties for not using BMS like you do with sprint. You don't sprint, you're an easier target to hit because the magnetism and hit boxes to the weapons are adjusted to compensate for sprint, in short you hinder yourself in not using the new abilities and such so why is this also not restricting ganeplay?

"It emphasizes strategy and multiple more playstyles than the simple run-n-gun, grenades, and melee." Quoted from what I'm assuming is meant to say Halo 5 and not happy 5. Are you imying the other games didn't have strategy? Furthermore it's always emphasized strategy, that's how you win and that's how you can even complete in the complete sure if the game. I'd also be curious what new playstyles Halo 5 offers that the others didn't cause I see the very same play styles as before, you're either aggressive or passive, that's it.

"The reason I love Halo so much is maps are aesthetically prepared based on the tools we have available. Older maps we're so simple. So boring. Look at what we get no compared to the past." I'll agree to some extent that the maps look better, depends on the style, the forunner art style is trash and the unsc stuff is just bland blocks made from forge, the covenant is about it when it comes to good looking maps to me but I'll concede map detail is at it's best. That said the older maps didn't need to look fancy to be good, I got clipped on less geometry from then compared to now because of the random junk on the corners of a map that the devs keep insisting on putting in. They also were better designed to handle more game modes to one Individual map than what Halo has, not to mention they didn't remix the same map so a new map was a new map, not a copy and pasted one with some slight alterations to it. It's why more people will better remember the older maps compared to the newer ones even if they look fancy, sometimes simpler is better.
NxtDutch wrote:
Halo 5 Guardians movement mechanics are perfectly fine.

Look, I understand that the "old movement" mechanics are wanted back by the some of the old conservative fans. (I am an OG Halo player, but I have a more progressive view) But they are from 2001. There were hardly any "sprints" back then.

Personally, I think the Spartans should move like super soldiers. Now I don't want them to handle like Titanfall. But H5G has a good balance
Change isn’t progressive unless it actually makes progress. Change can just as easily be regressive. I consider things like the addition of online play, forge, theater, custom game browser,... to be progressive. I consider things like sprint, thrust, ads, clamber,... to be regressive.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 36
  4. 37
  5. 38
  6. 39
  7. 40
  8. ...
  9. 158