Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The return of classic movement mechanics?

OP A So So Sniper

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 155
Hell, I'd replay Halo 1 through 3 way more often if they remastered the mechanics and applied modern movement to them! (I'm no techie so don't know how im/possible that could be)
I know the maps weren't designed with that in mind, but it'd be way more replayable either way!
As in we all have to walk around really slowly and such?
Yeah, across a whole feild of space rhinos, how exciting
Regice554 wrote:
The demo showed off the engine. The "space rhinos" showed off leathery textures and fogging breath. Dust from travel, lighting, shadows, moisture, etc. It's not a narrative trailer, it's a graphical one.
Regice554 wrote:
The demo showed off the engine. The "space rhinos" showed off leathery textures and fogging breath. Dust from travel, lighting, shadows, moisture, etc. It's not a narrative trailer, it's a graphical one.
Yeah i know, it was a joke. Still, good point, it looked good.
I hope they tone down the spartan abilities, but it would be nice if they brought back Equipment and Duel Wielding.
LoxtonA01 wrote:
I have never understood the "classic movement mechanics" debate.

I LOVE the old games, when they came out and even now. I love the new games just as much. But with each game, each aspect of it evolves and improves, including the movement mechanics.
The faster and more agile the movement mechanics, the more I personally feel immersed in both the gameplay and the story. I mean, we are playing as supersoldiers after all, should they be able to sprint, roll, dive, climb or anything that a normal person can do but better/faster?
Ya, having to slow to a crawl in order to do literally anything but walk in a straight line forwards is incredibly immersive.

Makes me feel like...me. A guy.
You don't slow to a crawl. Quit being so dramatic, manx.
You don't slow to a crawl. Quit being so dramatic, manx.
Maps are scaled to sprint speed so when youre not sprinting, it feels like a crawl.
Yet again, that's subjective. I've played a lot of the maps without sprinting (it can be risky in SWAT) and it does not feel like a crawl. And those same maps work with sprinting to cover the distance of a hallway, or make it into a doorway while under fire.

You're being over dramatic.
I don't think they're going away. Only hope now is if they make a classic and modern multiplayer, but I doubt that would happen and probably wouldn't be a good thing to do anyway.
I would be delighted if there was a return to classic movement mechanics. However, while the announcement trailer hinted to some classic themes, I wouldn't hold my breath for 343i to do a full reversal.
I put more than 50 days (1200 gameplay hours) into Halo 5, much more than all other Halo's including ODST and Wars combined.
Halo 5 is the most balance in the infantry vs ground vs air and I would like it if its was kept like that. These are super soldiers and I don't want their effectiveness reduced against vehicles.
What needs to be heavily buffed is turret movement speed.
so funny how many people still believein the myththat these new mechanics made halo faster xD laughable.
I bet you all also only take homeopathic medicine, for that awesome placebo effect!

up the movement speed to 120% and you literally are as fast as you are with sprint, without all the crappy downsides.

Armor abilities make Halo alower and less skill based, everyone who says otherwise clearly has absolutely no idea what they are talking about.
how many gameplay analysis vidvid need to be made to drill that into your brains?
Yet again, that's subjective. I've played a lot of the maps without sprinting (it can be risky in SWAT) and it does not feel like a crawl. And those same maps work with sprinting to cover the distance of a hallway, or make it into a doorway while under fire.

You're being over dramatic.
BMS and sprint aren't that far apart in terms of speed. As far as how long it takes to get places, it's down to map design based on the mechanics implemented. Sprint isn't going to get you places faster than intended, clamber isn't going to get you over walls and up places you're not supposed to get up to.

Whatever issues there were with Halo 3's speed / sensation of speed is far easier fixed with other options rather than implementing a game changing mechanic like sprint. I'm fairly certain Halo 5 has a different FoV, different acceleration values, map design ideas, aiming mechanics and whatever else contribute to a sense of going fast, not counting the advanced movement mechanics.

So basically it comes down to the gameplay these advanced movement mechanics offer.
Sprint or not, idc. If not, I’ll bunny hop all the way to the final mission and if yea, I’ll sprint everywhere. As long as the campaign is better than Halo 5’s, I don’t care if I can sprint or not.
I feel like the Halo 5 movement is great with the removed ground pound and spartan charge. The clambering and fast movement with sprint makes the game feel smoother. I love the classic halos but playing the new games with the slower classic mechanics seems like a step backwards. Loving the classic/modern style they wanna go with though.
LoxtonA01 wrote:
But with each game, each aspect of it evolves and improves, including the movement mechanics.
That's a bit of a broad statement. Not everything is strictly an improvement, even in developer's eyes. There's things they've had to cut from the game that they really enjoyed, and things that were an objective step up from the previous game that had to be cut due to issues with time constraints or balancing.

Quote:
The faster and more agile the movement mechanics, the more I personally feel immersed in both the gameplay and the story. I mean, we are playing as supersoldiers after all, should they be able to sprint, roll, dive, climb or anything that a normal person can do but better/faster?
I used to be able to do things in Halo that I can no longer do because of Spartan Abilities... I used to be able to clear ledges without needing to climb. I used to be able to shoot my weapon in any direction and jump ledges simultaneously.
VexHax wrote:
As in we all have to walk around really slowly and such?
Game Levels and maps are designed with the gameplay mechanics in mind. Your point offers no contribution to your cause, because you could just argue that level designers will design levels with the intent of making it fun with the classic movement system. Why do you think the original trilogy was great without sprint and it didn't seem like it took forever to get to places?
It did seem like it took forever, especially in CE
I don't know why people wants players to be weaker. All this does would make power weapon users even better against less agile opponents and vehicles would dominate.

I've played games where a regular scorpion can lock you down in warzone, now imagine that but with no slide or spring or thruster you would be screwed.
JohnDang55 wrote:
I don't know why people wants players to be weaker. All this does would make power weapon users even better against less agile opponents and vehicles would dominate.

I've played games where a regular scorpion can lock you down in warzone, now imagine that but with no slide or spring or thruster you would be screwed.
Yes, it's called map control. It's part of what makes Halo, Halo.

The better players take all the better equipment and proceed to lock down the other team and it is an extremely rewarding process to learn and pull off yourself. People keep coming back to Halo for this kinda thing. Everybody wants to dominate.

Warzone kinda muddies things though, so you can just spawn OP stuff in without really earning it through fighting other players for it, but whatever.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 155