Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The return of classic movement mechanics?

OP A So So Sniper

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 38
  4. 39
  5. 40
  6. 41
  7. 42
  8. ...
  9. 156
If you guys don't knock it off or take it to PMs, I'm locking this thread and that'll be the end of that.

Now excuse me while I read back and see who needs moderating.
OxDaV wrote:
OxDaV wrote:
NxtDutch wrote:
lI Mr X Il wrote:
NxtDutch wrote:
Halo 5 Guardians movement mechanics are perfectly fine.

Look, I understand that the "old movement" mechanics are wanted back by the some of the old conservative fans. (I am an OG Halo player, but I have a more progressive view) But they are from 2001. There were hardly any "sprints" back then.

Personally, I think the Spartans should move like super soldiers. Now I don't want them to handle like Titanfall. But H5G has a good bala
No, they’re not always sprinting when sprint is gone. That literally (by definition) and figuratively makes absolutely zero sense. We’ve already seen that with one BMS they’re clunky, slow moving, boring, bulky robotic Frankenstein mosters. We’ve had plenty of classic Halo experiences prove that, and Halo is simply much better, more fluid, and much more realistic with sprint. I’m confident 343i will make the right decision to keep sprint in Halo Infinite in order to deliver the best possible modern Halo experience. And, just like in Halos 4 and 5 before it, you’ll either choose to get on board with modern Halo with the rest of us or you’ll get left behind with the Classic Halo experience; both completely entrenched in your nostalgia that is now a thing of the past and your stubborn refusal to embrace the future that is modern Halo.
Hey PAL!
Did you see how halo fell with h4 , did you see h5 .Halo with sprint and abilities was the main reason its the lowest selling, worst population ever.Explain why 10 million players left halo without using the cliche excuse ( players moved on)

Halo is halo not cod. If I want fast movement Shir I'll play GTA 5, titanfall,cod ect.
But don't YOU DARE -yoink- up halo.
Halo is classic movement I want it classic movement. I rather a halo 3.5 then this -yoinking- excuse of halo game.

STOP TRYING TO FIX WHAT S NOT BROKEN.
Listen buddy, no one cares how strong your convictions are, if you can’t develop simple senses of civility and laying off Caps Lock, you have no business here on Waypoint. Go back to the YouTube comments and join the rest of your rude little mob.

Here are the facts, and I know you won’t like hearing them:

  1. The cause of the population dropoff is completely shrouded in ambiguity. You have no solid evidence whatsoever that EM is the cause, and claiming you do have evidence is intellectual dishonesty at its peak.
  2. The burden of proof falls on the antisprint side to prove gameplay is the cause of the decline, for you’re making the claim. So Mr. Confident McCapsy, present it. Clearly, you seem to have the bulletproof evidence to shoot down all of the pro-sprint side here.
  3. EM in Halo is still vastly different than what it is in CoD. The fundamental Halo ideas of a long TTK, fair starts, and emphasis on teamwork are still here. Halo is still unique and has stayed true to the essential essences that the community generally agrees are the foundation of the identity with H5. The identity beyond that though is ambiguous.
Quote me and insult me all you want, bucko.
I was going to ignore you and move on to other threads.But clearly you have no idea what your taking about "ambiguity" "Go on YouTube".

The way you can't make a valid argument to my points is laughable pal.All those facts you said are not facts its just your opinion,your the one who should go play COD .
The only reason I write in caps lock because people like you who flicker through the dictionary write whatever they want don't understand anything halo related .

How can you dismiss facts and create your own Yoinking statement.Unbelievable I really feel sorry for you buddy.Its pretty sad and pathetic attacking people trying to state there opinion

I could go on but your just not worth my time.#Make halo great again.
'But don't YOU DARE -yoink- up halo.' 'STOP TRYING TO FIX WHAT S NOT BROKEN.'
'Its pretty sad and pathetic attacking people trying to state there opinion'
I can't be the only one who feels like these statements are sort of conflicting.

Also you could always use bold or italics if you want to prevent your stuff from looking copy-pasted.
If you guys don't knock it off or take it to PMs, I'm locking this thread and that'll be the end of that.

Now excuse me while I read back and see who needs moderating.
I only just noticed this post after I had posted my point, apologies
NxtDutch wrote:
lI Mr X Il wrote:
NxtDutch wrote:
Halo 5 Guardians movement mechanics are perfectly fine.

Look, I understand that the "old movement" mechanics are wanted back by the some of the old conservative fans. (I am an OG Halo player, but I have a more progressive view) But they are from 2001. There were hardly any "sprints" back then.

Personally, I think the Spartans should move like super soldiers. Now I don't want them to handle like Titanfall. But H5G has a good balance
So you find a super soldier, with power armor lumbering around like Dr. Frankenstein's monster to be satisfying? As well as engaging for new players to Halo?

Like I said before, you perceive them as walking as Frankenstein's Monster, but what if they were just always Sprinting?
No, they’re not always sprinting when sprint is gone. That literally (by definition) and figuratively makes absolutely zero sense. We’ve already seen that with one BMS they’re clunky, slow moving, boring, bulky robotic Frankenstein mosters. We’ve had plenty of classic Halo experiences prove that, and Halo is simply much better, more fluid, and much more realistic with sprint. I’m confident 343i will make the right decision to keep sprint in Halo Infinite in order to deliver the best possible modern Halo experience. And, just like in Halos 4 and 5 before it, you’ll either choose to get on board with modern Halo with the rest of us or you’ll get left behind with the Classic Halo experience (Due to both the fact that you’re completely entrenched in your nostalgia that is now a thing of the past and your stubborn refusal to embrace the future that is modern Halo).
It makes zero sense for a lot of things in the Halo games.

  • Why can't Spartans swim in the games?
  • Why can't Chief pick up a weapon in his left hand and shoot with it without a Dual Wielding mechanic?
  • Why can't Chief drop his weapons and punch with both hands?
  • Why can't we lock our armor anymore?
You know why? Gameplay design. You don't need to explain anything through lore if you don't want to. It's just the intention of the game. I mean, both Bungie and 343i are good at that. That's why the Pillar of Autumn suddenly has a 2 kilometer long road for a Warthog to drive through in one level. That's why the Foward Unto Dawn suddenly became a different class of ship in the first level of Halo 4 and has future designs of weapons & vehicles that didn't exist in Halo 3.

We’ve already seen that with one BMS they’re clunky, slow moving, boring, bulky robotic Frankenstein mosters. We’ve had plenty of classic Halo experiences prove that, and Halo is simply much better, more fluid, and much more realistic with sprint. I’m confident 343i will make the right decision to keep sprint in Halo Infinite in order to deliver the best possible modern Halo experience.
Ahh, the "my opinion is fact" argument. I was wondering when you'd eventually get to that. And yes I said "opinion", because ultimately that's what you just described. You rarely take the time to actually explain why having Sprint is better, you generally just disappear, wait for a perfect comment, and then lash out and agree/disagree with it. Even the times where you do explain your position, people have responded to it and there are times where you haven't responded to them (and I'm not talking about hostile people either).

But sure, "my way or the highway" is the perfect way to represent your argument. That'll get a lot of people to listen to you. You already said you wouldn't buy Infinite without Sprint, and you really don't need to buy the new game anyway. Halo 5 provides everything you need and want, since you finally feel "like a super soldier" with it.

And, just like in Halos 4 and 5 before it, you’ll either choose to get on board with modern Halo with the rest of us or you’ll get left behind with the Classic Halo experience (Due to both the fact that you’re completely entrenched in your nostalgia that is now a thing of the past and your stubborn refusal to embrace the future that is modern Halo).
That is adorable. Honestly. "You'll either adapt or leave." I'm sure that's what people said about Loadouts too, until we suddenly stopped having Loadouts.

What happened to "being respectful", or "viewing this from the other person's perspective", or "anti-Sprinters are completely incapable of compromise"? I guess all that goes out the window when Sprint is being threatened or when you're unhappy that not everyone likes Sprint the way you do. Ignore my completely valid reasons for not liking Sprint, it's all just nostalgia and stubbornness to accept "Sprint Halo." Yep, not "modern Halo." Sprint isn't a modern mechanic, and Sprint doesn't make or break modern Halo.
NxtDutch wrote:
lI Mr X Il wrote:
NxtDutch wrote:
Halo 5 Guardians movement mechanics are perfectly fine.

Look, I understand that the "old movement" mechanics are wanted back by the some of the old conservative fans. (I am an OG Halo player, but I have a more progressive view) But they are from 2001. There were hardly any "sprints" back then.

Personally, I think the Spartans should move like super soldiers. Now I don't want them to handle like Titanfall. But H5G has a good balance
Change isn’t progressive unless it actually makes progress. Change can just as easily be regressive. I consider things like the addition of online play, forge, theater, custom game browser,... to be progressive. I consider things like sprint, thrust, ads, clamber,... to be regressive.
I get your point. But I disagree. Just to be clear. So you find a super soldier, with power armor lumbering around like Dr. Frankenstein's monster to be satisfying? As well as engaging for new players to Halo?

How is aiming down the sights regressive? How is a basic human function like sprinting regressive? I would agree that if it was like Halo 4's MP with random armor abilities. But Halo 5's, I believe is well balanced.
So you’re telling me that if I went into the settings and disabled sprint but bumped the normal base movement speed up to the same speed as sprint that my character on screen would be lumbering around like Dr Frankenstein’s monster because I could no longer sprint? Because that is certainly what you’re implying. Let me be very clear. Sprint has NOTHING to do with how fast your character moves. Sprint is an animation. You push a button and your character puts down their weapon, starts pumping their arms, and you get some motion blurring effects on your screen. Look at games like Quake or Unreal tournament. Those games have no sprint but they make the sprinting Spartans in H5 look like they are crawling at a snail’s pace. Wanting a Halo without sprint does not mean that people want a Halo where you move at the same speed you did in Halo 1-3. Halo infinite could easily be a Halo with no sprint where your character moves closer to quake speeds than classic Halo speeds. What matters most is how fast people feel and there are ways to make people feel faster without actually changing the speed of the character in game. A large part of the reason Halo 3 feels so slow is because the field of view is very narrow. Something like 70 degrees. Halo CE feels like you move much faster than in Halo 3 despite the fact you are moving at the same speed because CE has a FOV closer to 90 degrees. Giving Halo Infinite a faster base movement speed with a wider field of view will ensure that players won’t feel anything like a lumbering monster.
Naqser wrote:
DaekLaw wrote:
NxtDutch wrote:
Halo 5 Guardians movement mechanics are perfectly fine.

Look, I understand that the "old movement" mechanics are wanted back by the some of the old conservative fans. (I am an OG Halo player, but I have a more progressive view) But they are from 2001. There were hardly any "sprints" back then.

Personally, I think the Spartans should move like super soldiers. Now I don't want them to handle like Titanfall. But H5G has a good balance
Ah, the good old "Lore" Argument. But Spartans are able to keep their gun up while sprinting, what about that, Mr. more progressive?
Yeah it’s pretty solid. Imagine if Chief would have insisted on putzing along instead of sprinting after he killed the Prophet of Regret... Under your logic he shouldn’t have ran as fast as he could so Chief should have just been killed in the middle of H2. Your argument is invalid- you may not like it but sprinting will always be more realistic and true to lore.
Was ist das?
Did someone forget something along the way?

The lore can so easily be made to make sprint irrelevant for Spartans. It takes but a small paragraph.
You can say whatever you want to say... Doesn’t make it true. - The same applies to you. - The fact that every weapon is lowered for sprint doesn’t have to be static- as long as there are two BMS’ to choose between. - It's not about how many speeds there are, it's about what you have to give up just to move at the fastest one. -Sure there are indeed videos of Spartans sprinting with a pistol, like Kat in the Reach promo. Sprinting whilst shooting with a pistol is pretty realistic sure, but how many examples can you come up where Spartans are sprinting while firing assault rifles, sniper rifles, or worse rocket launchers and/or fuel rods. I’d wager you’ll produce nothing, because it simply doesn’t make sense. - Go to any site like YouTube and do a search for Halo: CE, H2 or H3 Gameplay. That's far too much video for me to produce in links. Plenty of things in the Halo universe don't make sense... it's a video game. You were moving at max speed in those games and you didn't have to push a button to do it. Period. Just because those speeds weren't to your liking is irrelevant and it's not like those speeds (or the illusion of speed, for those who see it that way) can't be changed for a Halo title. - If you actually paid attention (close enough to get beyond your fixed bias over this issue) perhaps you’d notice that these Spartans are still moving at different speeds. If they run while firing a pistol they’re still running. They could still walk if necessary so there’s no real argument against the fact that they’re indeed sprinting when the situation calls for it. - And perhaps if you could get beyond your fixed bias over this issue, you'd notice that pushing the left analogue stick to different varying positions can produce any speed you desire, between barely moving to whatever top speed (determined by the game devs) is achievable. You too, can still walk if necessary and the "real" argument has never been against the fact that they're indeed "sprinting when the situation calls for it," but about the fact that they can do little more than sprint because you push a button. -The fact of the matter is that competitive gamers would have a freak out if players could sprint while shooting small arms, which is why it’s not existent. - Quite probably. - Balancing sprint like they have in Halos 4 and 5 is indicative that 343i does indeed listen to the fan base. - Of course it is. What you either don't realize, or refuse to, is what you've just admitted to. Adding sprint wasn't the be all, end all awesome idea that its fans claim it is. If it was, it would've fit in almost seamlessly and would've been almost universally well received. This thread is pretty hard evidence that's not the case. It's indicative that sprint doesn't really work all that well in a Halo game, otherwise it wouldn't need all that balancing. You call it "balancing"... others call it nerfing. I mean if I took a hammer, chisel, sander and some determination, I could get a round peg into a square hole, but that doesn't mean it was always meant to be there, regardless of how much I may like round pegs. - But personally I’d be great with sprinting with small arms at the ready as a compromise, if that’s what you’re suggesting. - Not really what I was suggesting, but I can already hear the complaints. -Your argument here certainly doesn’t hold any weight against abolishing sprint altogether. - Not any more weight than your argument for keeping it.
how many examples can you come up where Spartans are sprinting while firing assault rifles, sniper rifles, or worse rocket launchers and/or fuel rods. I’d wager you’ll produce nothing
Is the wager still on? Would you say 1 is more than nothing / 0?

But personally I’d be great with sprinting with small arms at the ready as a compromise
Hmm.
Sprint has been nerfed both directly and indirectly since its Halo 4 iteration.
That'd be another point for removing it.

Of course, there's also the "small arms" thing.
I don't know if you recall, or even were here, when Halo 5 dropped.
There were quite a few players who were upset that the pistol was performing so well against other weapons, like the BR. Why were they upset? Because it was a"pistol", the weapon in their hands which was performing well had a mesh modeled like a pistol.
It was the looks of the well performing weapon which was the problem.
Yet as far as I'm concerned, the pistol is still regarded a side arm.
The question is then, for you, with that information, how would you proceed with the sprint / side arm thing?

This post has been hidden.

4
Naqser wrote:
Naqser wrote:
I've been playing halo since the OG xbox but if sprint gone so am I. I can't go back to the slow movement of halo 3. If that's the case good bye halo I loved u so much
What about the slow movement of CE?
Yeah I dont want to play a slower halo. I loved CE but the multiplayer in H5 was better with sprint and it had the tightness of halo 2
Halo 5's BMS was increased and is the highest of all the Halos.
Halo CE-3 share the same BMS.
There's more to game pacing than just the BMS.
I regret never testing out the "Legacy" custom game mode, or whatever it was called. Though I saw many praising posts regarding it. Basically, further increased BMS, higher jump height, and ditched the other movement mechanics.

As far as Infinite goes, I doubt anything will be ditched from Halo 5 in terms of movement mechanics, or not much anyway.
I hope not I can't think of a current fps with slow movement that's crazy that a lot of people want the H3 movement
From my experience, when people talk Halo 3 movement, they reference the mechanics. Saying they want Halo 3 movement is a lot faster than saying they want all the new fancy mechanics gone, sprint, thrusters, clamber, slide, and so forth.
See, all the mechanics get balanced, both as mechanics, and on the maps.
Maps are scaled so that in terms of time, sprinting gets you places as fast as the map designer intended you to. Having a game with no sprint wouldn't change that, 5 seconds is 5 seconds. Jumps are designed so that Clamber has to be used. If a jump isn't meant to be made, then obstacles will be in place to prevent you from succeeding it, no matter if the game has clamber or not. To name a few examples.

Your sense of speed in a game relies on other things than your raw speed, check this video out for instance.
Other pacing related things are usually attributed to accelerations, motion blur, bobbing, time to kill, times to engagements.
Halo CE feels faster, and many say it is the fastest Halo, still. Despite us having several FPS Halo titles after that. Yet it has the exact same movement speed as Halo 3, which many regard as feeling sluggish and slow. Think about that.

As far as a current FPS with a slow movement speed? I haven't played Vermintide 2 yet, but if it's anything like the first one, it can be regarded as feeling slow, because I thought that movement speed was slow.
Vermintide 2 has no sprint or anything but makes up for that as there is always skaven hording around and there is also speed potions. It feels very nice and smooth, this is coming from someone with around 20 hours of playtime already. This is proof that a game can have fun movement without sprint or Spartan charge, ground pound etc. But overall Halo infinite is going to be the same -Yoink- as Halo 5 but they're using an old art style to build up hype. Halo 4 and 5 were absolute -Yoink- and 343 is too ignorant to listen to any feesback from fans.
I will never understand why people think that a more realistic gameplay is equal to more fun.
Designing a good game is all about finding the right balance between relastic and unrealistic elements and with the first trilogy we achieved it.
Sprint completely breaks this weak balance introducing too much realism in the game that is in contradiction with the core mechanics.

One example why sprint doesn't belong to this game. In COD you have sprint mainly because of the instant kill factor. Sprinting away is the only chance you have to survive (if you don't want to fight back).
In Halo Sprint Edition, when you are under attack you have two get out of jail free cards. The first one is the shield that protects you from instant death, and the second one is the sprint just like in a COD game. That's why sprint is so frustrating, because it can save the player you are shooting at too many times.

And no, disabling shield recharge when sprinting didn't fixed the problem, it just overcomplicated the core mechanics of the game.
By the way, why the hell a spartan can't charge his shields while he is running? That's not realistic!!
I really hope it does go back to the roots of the series. It would be interesting though if there is a mission or two with us wearing the 4 and 5 set, and then explain why Chief went back to his older suit after. Maybe the new one got destroyed, or maybe there was psychological factors that came into play causing him to downgrade. Who knows!
A lot of good points on both sides. Immersion, gameplay, fore lore and for balancing. Nice convo and all, but in the end, look deep down yourself. Ask, “knowing how 343 takes the safest approach to their games, would they really be willing to make the biggest gameplay statement since Reach just disappear?” And I say 343 has been playing things safe in that, abilities and flashy mobility feats have been the go to in these times, and the way they choose to construct their story.

Quite frankly, I think 343 doesn’t have the guts to take out Sprint. I think they’re too afraid to do it now. Anyways, I think the best solution if Sprint is to be removed, is keep some sort of thruster or maneuvering ability (like a take on reach’s evade). Regardless of what they choose to do, I think we can all agree that we at least need to keep something to spice up the mobility even if in very short bursts. As an old time player, sure no sprint and 0 spartan abilities is cool, but I think we should evolve the play at least some. There’s nothing wrong with at least keeping a side step roll or something. I didn’t come all this way to see Halo still continue the same stagnant movement speed with nothing juicy to add to it.. if so I’d be playing MCC all day...
4
“Soon Halo’s reclamation will begin, but when it does, the weight of your denial will stay your feet, and you shall be left behind ”
A lot of good points on both sides. Immersion, gameplay, fore lore and for balancing. Nice convo and all, but in the end, look deep down yourself. Ask, “knowing how 343 takes the safest approach to their games, would they really be willing to make the biggest gameplay statement since Reach just disappear?” And I say 343 has been playing things safe in that, abilities and flashy mobility feats have been the go to in these times, and the way they choose to construct their story.

Quite frankly, I think 343 doesn’t have the guts to take out Sprint. I think they’re too afraid to do it now. Anyways, I think the best solution if Sprint is to be removed, is keep some sort of thruster or maneuvering ability (like a take on reach’s evade). Regardless of what they choose to do, I think we can all agree that we at least need to keep something to spice up the mobility even if in very short bursts. As an old time player, sure no sprint and 0 spartan abilities is cool, but I think we should evolve the play at least some. There’s nothing wrong with at least keeping a side step roll or something. I didn’t come all this way to see Halo still continue the same stagnant movement speed with nothing juicy to add to it.. if so I’d be playing MCC all day...
After some thought and reading through many posts on this thread, I think this post is pretty accurate. Here's my personal opinion on the matter.

I think saying 343i has been taking a safe approach to their games is spot-on. Halo 5 just seems like a generic shooter to me. Whether people agree with me or not, that's how I personally see it. I see a lot of similarities to other games (ie. ADS, sprint, clambering/wall-climbing, micro-transactions). These additions don't make Halo 5 bad or great--just okay. But Halo 5 is not a true Halo game as a result. And Halo is not as unique to other shooters anymore.

Enhanced mobility gives players more opportunities to survive, and as one poster put it, another "get out of jail free card". If a player messes up, all of these enhanced mobility mechanics help undo their mistakes. In my opinion, older Halos were more skilled and punishing for this reason. And this was a good thing back then.

Will 343i take out sprint at this point? I highly doubt it. Sprint has been in Halo 3 games now, and I think it is here to stay. I think they will continue to make safe choices.

What should they really do though? Get rid of sprint while maintaining another mobility mechanic such as thruster or evade, just as mentioned above. Halo still needs to grow and evolve, but not to the extent at which sprint changes the sandbox. It's too drastic of a change for the type of shooter Halo is. Thusters and evade can add another layer to combat, without creating a cat-and-mouse issue. At the least put a limit on sprint (ie. a Halo: Reach meter) and remove spartan charge.

Again, this is just my personal opinion, see it as you wish.
If i could have it my way id go back to h2 h3 movement....to me that is what helped shaped halo to not be another run and gun like cod...the time to kill was longer.
My opinion,
I feel like Halo would be better off going back to the old game mechanics of Halo 1-3. It would make vehicles more important, brings back the fast travel equals high risk of man cannons and teleporters, brings a natural skill curve of people that know how to crouch jump, brings back limits to gaining verticallity, brings back classic map design, map control of power weapons becomes key and so team coordination to take or hold these locations becomes important. Gives more variety of dealing with vehicles like sniping out the driver (not destroying the vehicle with a sniper rifle), power drain, trip mine, rockets, lasers, plasma grenades, missile pods, and plasma pistol charge high jack combo.

One time use equipment could add that fourth pillar of gameplay without breaking the classic sandbox. One use equipment can act as the get out of jail free card but requires skill to use it effectively. Deployable grav-lift gives a new vertical route to higher areas of the map but also expose the player and can be used by the enemy during the duration the grav-lift is there. The bubble shield can protect players from all fire but the play can't shot out of it. Enemy play can come in that and either throw a grenade destroying the shield, take it over with a close range weapon, or drive through it with a vehicle. Bubble shield, trip mine, radar jammier, over-shields, and power drain don't really need any reworking. Flare, deployable cover, regeneration field, and invisibility do need reworking. Invisibility needs to be your fully invisible with a you have to be close to see shimmer effect or your invisible but you have to be moving to stay invisible to discourage camping. 343 can add new one time use abilities like visor mode, a one time sprint, one time use evade, vehicle camo, and other abilities. Say a player has a one time use ability to overcharge your shields to expand in a small dome around you to protect ally players but that shield has a limited amount of damage the shield can take. So once that shield goes down either by enemy fire or duration that player has no shields for a set duration period. That one time ability can protect teammates or have it protect a vehicle from a potential kill hit but it requires good timing. Or a rocket can kill the player with the shield but leave his teams mates alive with little or no damage. Ideas like that can help evolve the franchise but keep the classic style.
Maps can have different elements that can change the map flow like the gate on Zanzibar (Last Resort) or High-ground. Interesting map hazards like the turrets on Snowbound and Sandbox or the grenade traps on Sandtrap. Turret and energy shield door's from Dominion gametype of Halo 4. You could have new map hazards like flood tentacles slamming down, covenant glassing beams that cut through parts of the map, missile or mac strikes hitting parts of the map, enemy AI defending power weapons on BTB maps, have friendly killable AI defending your base for certain game modes. ODST or covenant drop pods falling down that can splatter a player not paying attention. Target designator can place on the map or be some fixed object that can direct a strike on the enemy. Could call down one or three strikes on a marked target but require a long cool down between each strike.

The why not both
Gametypes settings can make those equipment/one type use abilities into fully fledged armor abilities to enhance different custom games. So you can recreate some Reach, Halo 4 , and maybe Halo 5 isk gametypes or make new gametypes. Its the closest thing I see as a possible middle ground. Then if there is something really popular added it to regular matchmaking playlist. Though only issue I can see with this is dev map/level design, though forge maps can help avoid that. Bring back Invasion could be cool, but adding in AI like Warzone and or adding base structures like in Halo 4 Dominion. Add new things like Scarab assault where one team defends a scarab or mega scarab while the other team tries to destroy the enemy scarab. Using mechanics from single player of Halo 3 and ODST and pulling that over to multiplayer and is something similar to battlefront and battlefield 2142 titan mode. Though its different since your stunning the Scarab and have to board it to destroy it from the inside but if your repelled then you have to hit the scarab in the weak points again. Though advance mobility and flying vehicles could cause issues of people boarding the Scarab and hitting the power core so some limitations might be needed to prevent or limit that.

Forge can also help with the middle ground of having map unique objects that can block off or expand the map to work for both different styles of gameplay. If the slipspace engine allows it, scaling objects can also help with dealing with the two different movement speeds. Smart placement of forge-able objects that blend in with the map could be added or deleted to make a map more playable to both movement system but require very smart and time consuming level design.

Or if 343 divides both styles into two games. Halo Infinite is the return the form of Classic Halo while another game following Alpha Nine has the Halo 5 skill set. Allowing the continuation of both styles while not requiring dev time to focus on both and making maps that might not work well for the certain movement and TTK balance.

Reality I think 343 will keep sprint which will force the elongation of maps and shorter TTK. They will probably have a sprint meter like reach, no shield recharge while sprinting, and a more balance ADS so short to mid-range weapons don't dominate at long range. Ground pound and clamber might be removed. 343 might even make a gametype option that removes sprint which would be nice. Though I do hope 343 continues on the track of making the hunters mini-bosses and rework some of the flood forms (if 343 brings them back in the fps games) to be more interesting to fight more so on pure forms, Juggernauts, and any new flood forms.
Some people will be happy the old art-style is back while others will be tried of that style of gameplay since so many shooters have that style of play and are bored of it. I can say one thing so far that the slipspace engine looks pretty.
I think you are hoping a little too much. Will I do believe the old movement mechanics will make a return, I think it'll be split between enhanced mobility and I also think enhanced mobility is going to be the main gameplay focus.
A lot of good points on both sides. Immersion, gameplay, fore lore and for balancing. Nice convo and all, but in the end, look deep down yourself. Ask, “knowing how 343 takes the safest approach to their games, would they really be willing to make the biggest gameplay statement since Reach just disappear?” And I say 343 has been playing things safe in that, abilities and flashy mobility feats have been the go to in these times, and the way they choose to construct their story.

Quite frankly, I think 343 doesn’t have the guts to take out Sprint. I think they’re too afraid to do it now. Anyways, I think the best solution if Sprint is to be removed, is keep some sort of thruster or maneuvering ability (like a take on reach’s evade). Regardless of what they choose to do, I think we can all agree that we at least need to keep something to spice up the mobility even if in very short bursts. As an old time player, sure no sprint and 0 spartan abilities is cool, but I think we should evolve the play at least some. There’s nothing wrong with at least keeping a side step roll or something. I didn’t come all this way to see Halo still continue the same stagnant movement speed with nothing juicy to add to it.. if so I’d be playing MCC all day...
I think this is a pretty good post bro and agree with a lot of what your saying.

I don't 343I/MS have the guts either to remove the sprint animation. If I had to bet, I'd say Halo 6 movement will be a lot like Halo 5. I hear a lot of people say things like if sprint was removed, some type of thrust or something should be keep. I don't have a problem with that at all, nor do I think the majority of people.

Like you, I'm also an old time player (started with CE, got it first month it was out) and I think most of us "old" gamers who started with CE or 2 don't want that "same stagnant movement speed with nothing juicy to add to it" either, far from it actually.

I still feel like equipment, or AA's as map pick up items or something like this, is the way to go. You could do so many things in this area. Did people love equipment in Halo 3? I'd say it was liked more then disliked, mainly because the player knew it was a one time use thing. When AA's came in, the problem wasn't that people hated the idea of say a jetpack or something, it was the fact they started with it and it had unlimited use. I guarantee you if Halo 3 did something like this with equipment it would have been hated to the max.

Things like a speed boosts, or ground pound, or whatever could all be map pick up, one time use items. Having this kind of stuff on the board that can change you per say, so much, also makes players decided what they go for. Should I go for power weapons? Or things to enhance my mobility? I just think that is more along the Halo style instead of this let's give all these things to the player but give it to all players to make it "balance" and by doing so we are also making the controls so much more complex for the average player. Where as if you make things simpler with the game mechanics, that will also make controls simpler too, and I think that's one thing lot of people over look. How important it is to have simple, not complicated controls.

Personally, I just think the sprint animation just isn't needed in Halo and there are a lot of cooler, better and frankly just more fun things you could have in Halo instead. Will 343I do this? I doubt it, but hey, you never know...
Did people love equipment in Halo 3? I'd say it was liked more then disliked, mainly because the player knew it was a one time use thing.
To each their own, but I actually really didn’t like the equipment in Halo 3 at all and do not think that AA’s would suffice for a lack of sprint. The only pickups that I think are needed are good old overshield and invisibility.

The problems with pushing a “speed boost” pickup as a substitute to sprint include that: speed boost is temporary, only one person on the map can get it at any given point in time, and it wears off quickly, with a very long respawn timer (~2:00 per speed boost spawn, which means in a ~10 minute game it can only be used up to 4x in total by everyone in the game). The effects only last either as long as you can stay alive or about a minute and each time it spawns you only even get a 1 in 10 chance to even get this (very temporary) pick up in a 5v5 match... Not to mention the sheer unbalanced OP’ness that happens when only one person in the entire game is moving faster than everyone else.

That said IMO sprint is a core part of the modern Halo experience and if anything the advanced movement system from Halo 5 should be expanded upon versus regressing backwards to the older Halo movement system. Just my thoughts, anyway! :-D
take away ground pound and spartan charge and we good to go!
I like sprint. People make too big of a deal about it. It's in Halo 4, 5, and even somewhat in Reach. It's bound to be in Halo 6. If 343 scraps sprint, then at least supplement us with the best Halo game possible or fast jogging speeds because Halo 3 felt so slow paced. 4v4 matches are fine because it was often in small maps but when it comes to big team battle and warzone... NO THANK YOU to no sprint lol.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 38
  4. 39
  5. 40
  6. 41
  7. 42
  8. ...
  9. 156