Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The return of classic movement mechanics?

OP A So So Sniper

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 42
  4. 43
  5. 44
  6. 45
  7. 46
  8. ...
  9. 163
I wouldn't get my hopes up. It would be pretty jarring to go from all of the stuff in Halo 5 to how it used to be, which is unfortunate, in my opinion. As much as I want classic game-play, I doubt 343 can actually go back on it, without half of the fan base flipping out at them, except not the classic fans this time.
Half might...1/3 might... Next to no one might, they won't know unless they try. Who knows how many more players might come back too because they did do that. It goes both ways and I'd argue that 343I would gain more then they would loose by a country mile.

TECH PON3 wrote:
If it's more kin to H2A (modern classic) I could see it working since that was 343i first try doing a "classic" style gameplay. But knowing how some parts of the halo community acts if Halo infinite played like H2A they would get pissed. Why? Because some parts of the community thinks Halo 3 gameplay is the only way to classic halo to play. Personally I like H2A over halo 3 just because I find H2A more enjoyable. I like H3 but when 95% of players pick it in MCC I'm forced to play it and not get better since i'm forced to play h3. Overall I'm fine with H5G gameplay if 343i turn it down a bit, but I would like HI to be like H2A if they go classic.

(I don't hate halo 3 the game just its gameplay)
Bold - I must say, I massively disagree here. I think if 343 did this most of the community would be praising them!!! Most Halo 3 fans are fans of H2A, heck I don't know a single person that isn't. Again if H6 is like H2A, I think most fans would be loving it!
I agree with you now. You're right, they would gain much more than they would lose.
Plus they've been honestly outright NEGLECTING classic fans (excluding MCC, which doesn't count because they're pre-made games) for almost a decade now... I mean can't we get SOMETHING by now!?
How does MCC not count? You can't get better H3 gameplay than from the game itself. What does the community gain if 343i makes a "new" game that plays exactly like a game they already offer?
Who said a classic game would be the exact same game as Halo 3?

That's no different than saying whatever modern game 343i puts out next would play exactly like Halo 4.
How could it be different? More weapons?
I wouldn't get my hopes up. It would be pretty jarring to go from all of the stuff in Halo 5 to how it used to be, which is unfortunate, in my opinion. As much as I want classic game-play, I doubt 343 can actually go back on it, without half of the fan base flipping out at them, except not the classic fans this time.
Half might...1/3 might... Next to no one might, they won't know unless they try. Who knows how many more players might come back too because they did do that. It goes both ways and I'd argue that 343I would gain more then they would loose by a country mile.

TECH PON3 wrote:
If it's more kin to H2A (modern classic) I could see it working since that was 343i first try doing a "classic" style gameplay. But knowing how some parts of the halo community acts if Halo infinite played like H2A they would get pissed. Why? Because some parts of the community thinks Halo 3 gameplay is the only way to classic halo to play. Personally I like H2A over halo 3 just because I find H2A more enjoyable. I like H3 but when 95% of players pick it in MCC I'm forced to play it and not get better since i'm forced to play h3. Overall I'm fine with H5G gameplay if 343i turn it down a bit, but I would like HI to be like H2A if they go classic.

Bold - I must say, I massively disagree here. I think if 343 did this most of the community would be praising them!!! Most Halo 3 fans are fans of H2A, heck I don't know a single person that isn't. Again if H6 is like H2A, I think most fans would be loving it!
I agree with you now. You're right, they would gain much more than they would lose.
Plus they've been honestly outright NEGLECTING classic fans (excluding MCC, which doesn't count because they're pre-made games) for almost a decade now... I mean can't we get SOMETHING by now!?
How does MCC not count? You can't get better H3 gameplay than from the game itself. What does the community gain if 343i makes a "new" game that plays exactly like a game they already offer?

That's no different than saying whatever modern game 343i puts out next would play exactly like Halo 4.
Different weapons, different mechanics, different maps, different modes, the list really goes on.

If the only difference between "modern" Halo and "classic" Halo is sprint and some Spartan abilites, then they must not really be that different at all.
In my opinion, this game has a really high chance of bringing back the classic gameplay so many old Halo fans have adored! I am so pumped for this!

EDIT: Wow, I didn't expect such diverse opinions on this subject. The Halo community really is split in half. I'm sorry you have to deal with us, 343 :/

EDIT: 800 comments. What have I done?
I agree 100%. Another name for it could be halo resurrection
As in we all have to walk around really slowly and such?
Dad jokes from a noob

TECH PON3 wrote:

Different weapons, different mechanics, different maps, different modes, the list really goes on.

If the only difference between "modern" Halo and "classic" Halo is sprint and some Spartan abilites, then they must not really be that different at all.
Again, my take from most of the threads here is that Halo 3 represents the epitome of "Classic" Halo. Halo's "downfall" is usually attributed to different mechanics introduced with Reach. Therefore, one must assume that any difference in mechanics between Halo 3 and Halo Infinite would be detrimental. They say Halo needs to "go back" to what worked, and by that they usually mean Halo 3, if not 2 or even CE. New weapons never seems to matter since the only ones that get used are BR and DMR. No pleading for Brute Shot or Spiker to return Heck, can't even get the Grenade Launcher back. All those sorts of things are usually lumped in with the "fluff" that constitutes everything introduced after Halo 3.

Otherwise, there is no difference between Modern and Classic Halo.

TECH PON3 wrote:

You literally have no clue about gameplay.
People (the ones you try to attack / make fun of in your posts) don't want "another H3" (like you stated in countless posts). A lot of people would appreciate a new game, heavily focussed on the run & gun formular, a one-gear movement system w. improvements.

How it could be different? Have you ever heard something about weapon sandbox improvements? Maps? Campaign, Multiplayer designed around a one gear movement system? Balancing? Vehicles? Balanced Dual Wielding? Theater? Physics / Environment? Soundtracks? Improve forge? Gamemodes? Projectile / Hitscan? Vehicles? Customization? Matchmaking / Servers? Improved map pick ups? Improved graphics? And tons of other stuff.

But I don't expect you to understand anything of this anyway. People like to ignore every argument, every post, every feedback to make another "hehehe, u ppl want another Halo 3, hehehe" joke, because they are not able to discuss.

TECH PON3 wrote:

What I don't understand is why the moment some people hear "classic", when someone says that's what they want the next Halo game to play like, their vision automatically narrows to "exactly like a previous game." It's not impossible to gravitate towards a more classic type of game play and yet still create a new and different game. I mean I'd like to see Halo gravitate more towards classic style game play... but the last thing I want is H3 all over again. I played that game already. I played all the previous Halo [FPS] games already. I'm done with those ones. I can want classic style play in a new game without tearing a hole in the time/space continuum. I really can... can't I? =)
Do not create/use alternate accounts to bypass forum bans.

Spoiler:
Show
Yes let’s cater to the old halo players. Bc they’re definitely more important. Have fun getting new players when you can’t sprint and have to walk 2 mph to just get a sniper rifle.
Dude......have you read ANY comments in this thread?

Spoiler:
Show

TECH PON3 wrote:

What I don't understand is why the moment some people hear "classic", when someone says that's what they want the next Halo game to play like, their vision automatically narrows to "exactly like a previous game." It's not impossible to gravitate towards a more classic type of game play and yet still create a new and different game. I mean I'd like to see Halo gravitate more towards classic style game play... but the last thing I want is H3 all over again. I played that game already. I played all the previous Halo [FPS] games already. I'm done with those ones. I can want classic style play in a new game without tearing a hole in the time/space continuum. I really can... can't I? =)
If you read all the classic halo post on this website you’ll see why people think it. They just want a rehash of Halo 3 because “it was just do fun.” Sarcasm
If you read this page alone, you would not that people aren't asking for a "rehash of Halo 3."

Then again, your profile bio makes it clear what you're here for.

TECH PON3 wrote:

Again, my take from most of the threads here is that Halo 3 represents the epitome of "Classic" Halo. Halo's "downfall" is usually attributed to different mechanics introduced with Reach. Therefore, one must assume that any difference in mechanics between Halo 3 and Halo Infinite would be detrimental. They say Halo needs to "go back" to what worked, and by that they usually mean Halo 3, if not 2 or even CE. New weapons never seems to matter since the only ones that get used are BR and DMR. No pleading for Brute Shot or Spiker to return Heck, can't even get the Grenade Launcher back. All those sorts of things are usually lumped in with the "fluff" that constitutes everything introduced after Halo 3.

Otherwise, there is no difference between Modern and Classic Halo.
So all they have to do is use different different mechanics. Just because one change doesn't work, doesn't mean all future changes ever won't work. You yourself just implied that Halo CE-3 are all different games while still being "classic", which means the idea is possible.

When someone asks for a 4 sided object, they probably want a square. But that doesn't mean as soon as you give them a triangle, you give up and all they want is squares. Maybe they'll accept a rectangle, or a diamond.

Halo 3 was considered the "epitome" of classic Halo because nothing substantial really came after it, but that doesn't mean Halo 3 was perfect in itself. With Dual Wielding, and RNG Battle Rifle, a lowered Field of view, etc. there are a lot of improvements to be made. Going even further, you can add in something like Halo 5's vehicle seat switching, or we can judge the spartan abilities individually and maybe implement them if they are worth it. None of that leads to an exact replica of any of the previous Halo games.

Halo 5's REQ system proves that people are accepting of other weapons, as long as they are good in functionality and design.
Spoiler:
Show
The original trilogy didn't have any problem getting new players and that hasn't been proven wrong yet in modern Halo and every classic fan that I know doesn't want an H3 clone.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Best we'd get would be a spin-off game, but I'd take it.
Same here.
Spoiler:
Show
YES let's. There were 7 MILLION of them... and only a fraction of such make up the new ones. So YES. Let's. Also, I'm pretty sure new players would want a classic game MORE because with the "evolved" sprint and fast-pacedness, Halo's just a cheap knock-off of Titanfall. A "new" player would want something UNIQUE that stands out from the crowd, which Halo 3's GENERAL (not exact) gameplay would DO now. But no, Halo 5's wouldn't, it'd be another Titanfall ripoff. And neither would 4's... that'd be a CoD ripoff. No one but the FEW modern Halo fans like you would come to Infinite out of ALL the other games soon to be on the market when out if it has 4's or 5's gameplay and say "Wow! What unique, original gameplay! I can't seem to find anything else LIKE it out there! I think I might want to pick this up MORE than DOOM Eternal (which looks like it was handcrafted by Jesus himself while he was still a carpenter compared to Halo 5), or Call of Duty Black Ops IIII, or Battlefield 5, or (maybe) Titanfall 3! TOTALLY!". No, the classic fans aren't more important than ANYONE... but did you see my post? If we're REALLY equal... then we should get something new every once in a while TOO. NOT just you guys. Because YOU GUYS AREN'T ANY MORE IMPORTANT THAN US EITHER. End of story.
I was initially onboard with 343's changes, but after Halo 5 I've finally come to the conclusion that the original mechanics are superior; Halo 5 lacks the gameplay and map dsign which's conducive to a steady flow of combat. It's pretty telling when the best Halo 5 has to offer is classic Slayer on Truth. Instead of trying to keep Halo relevant by paradoxically implementing gimmicks into the core mechanics, the devs would be better off improving basic things like postprocs that players will actually want to keep on, eliminating legacy bugs, and adding new and varied weapons and vehicles. Any drastic changes should be relegated to a secondary role, similar to equipment, allowing players to decide what will and won't carry on throughout the series without being a detriment to the game they're introduced in.

TECH PON3 wrote:

If you misread all the classic halo post on this website you’ll see why people think it. They don't just want a rehash of Halo 3 because “it was just do fun.” Seriously
If you read this page alone, you would not that people aren't asking for a "rehash of Halo 3."

There, I fixed it. It just isn't possible to reach the 'classic Halo fans just want a rehash of [insert title]' conclusion, unless you're just too biased to even want to understand. Full stop.

TECH PON3 wrote:

If you misread all the classic halo post on this website you’ll see why people think it. They don't just want a rehash of Halo 3 because “it was just do fun.” Seriously

There, I fixed it. It just isn't possible to reach the 'classic Halo fans just want a rehash of [insert title]' conclusion, unless you're just too biased to even want to understand. Full stop.
Definitely. No one wants Halo 3 copy and pasted, we want 343 to build off of it in a way that stays true to the original, without cloning it.

TECH PON3 wrote:

Definitely. No one wants Halo 3 copy and pasted, we want 343 to build off of it in a way that stays true to the original, without cloning it.
Indeed. Ebony, if we apply your same logic to your case, we'd have the right to say YOU should satisfied with Halo 5 DX as your next game, not a new game. From now on, no more new modern Halos, we'll just keep making better builds of Halo 5 over and over. Listen, we don't want Halo 3 DX... we want a NEW game with similar gameplay mechanics, that's all.

TECH PON3 wrote:

Indeed. Ebony, if we apply your same logic to your case, we'd have the right to say YOU should satisfied with Halo 5 DX as your next game, not a new game. From now on, no more new modern Halos, we'll just keep making better builds of Halo 5 over and over. Listen, we don't want Halo 3 DX... we want a NEW game with similar gameplay mechanics, that's all.
Forgive me I meant Halo 3 2nd Anniversary DX Special Origins Pre-order Edition and Knuckles featuring Dante from Devil May Cry XL now with VR and AR support.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 42
  4. 43
  5. 44
  6. 45
  7. 46
  8. ...
  9. 163