Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The return of classic movement mechanics?

OP A So So Sniper

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 156
VexHax wrote:
As in we all have to walk around really slowly and such?
Game Levels and maps are designed with the gameplay mechanics in mind. Your point offers no contribution to your cause, because you could just argue that level designers will design levels with the intent of making it fun with the classic movement system. Why do you think the original trilogy was great without sprint and it didn't seem like it took forever to get to places?
It did seem like it took forever, especially in CE
I'm curious to see times to traverse a map in CE vs Halo 5.
However, let's assume the smallest maps in CE take double the time to traverse of the smallest Halo 5 maps.
Would you say that's a player mechanic issue? Is the simplest solution in that case then to implement a player mechanic which requires more programming, animations and testing?

JohnDang55 wrote:
I don't know why people wants players to be weaker. All this does would make power weapon users even better against less agile opponents and vehicles would dominate.

I've played games where a regular scorpion can lock you down in warzone, now imagine that but with no slide or spring or thruster you would be screwed.
So, all in all, weapons and vehicles would not be attempted to be balanced for the sandbox they're in? And to solve that balance issue, new player mechanics are introduced?
There is absolutely no way this game won't have the classic gameplay
That's purely speculation. Making assumptions like this is goofy at best.
the oldest of Halo fans have adored! I am so pumped for this!
I think the first part of this statement is biased based on the second part. There are plenty of older Halo fans that like the new mechanics.
Do a poll and let’s see. I love Halo but it’s taken a nose dive since armor abilities were introduced.
It's going to be interesting to see where 343 is going with this but I wouldn't really get too excited about the possible return of classic movement.
As of now, the only thing we know for sure is that 343 is using a new engine and that they do try to chance the art style back to Halo a little. As much as I'd love to see an actual classic Halo game with classic movement and gameplay, I'll wait for real informations about that kind of stuff.
At least 343 managed to keep me interested until they reveal more and who knows, maybe they do reveal that they bring back a proper Halo experience, it would be a shame to lose this franchise that has been part of my gaming life for almost 20 years now...
DaekLaw wrote:
Seriously, I feel like the majority doesn't even know what slow or fast gameplay is.
Just because you can not run across the map like a headless chicken, it is not "slow" paced. Well placed Teleporters and Man Cannons will help the players to travel around the map faster. And then there is the sandbox, the TTK for the weapons, the size of the maps. All this is way more important for the pace of the game.

Sprint works fine for a lot of FPS Shooters, but not Halo. If you've got the right balance for the points I've mentioned, you will have smooth, tactical and fun gameplay.
Exactly, midship plays way faster than the Halo 5 remake.
I think they should continue with what they've done with halo 5 , classic halo movements are too slow. Clearly something needs to change but giving up on the good work done on the halo 5 arena would be foolish. I hope they will find a good balance cause a really want to enjoy this game like i did with halo 5 mp.
Thrust, climb and sprint should definitely stay, maybe they can remove spartan charge and groundpound.
Also please don't bring back halo reach loadouts.
Btw the art style is amazing
Judging by the engine demo it looks like the visuals are of classic inspiration so I don't think it's too much of a stretch for the gameplay to be as well. At the very least more than H5.
In my opinion, this game has a really high chance of bringing back the classic gameplay so many old Halo fans have adored! I am so pumped for this!

EDIT: Wow, I didn't expect such diverse opinions on this subject. The Halo community really is split in half. I'm sorry you have to deal with us, 343 :/
I have no idea why you think that, but ok lol

I've never felt like sprint was necessary in Halo at all. 343I did a good job implementing it in 5 I'll admit, but there is still just too many parts, especially in campaign, where all I'm doing for x amount of time is just running....and running...and running!!! Doing absolutely nothing else. It's so freaking boring!!! You don't notice anything in the environment, how pretty this is that is, nothing!! ...your just running, hoping that something happens sooner than later.

This is also seen in multiplayer maps to. So many maps are just too big. People are used to bigger Maps now because of games like battlefield and battle royale modes. Hence you have people saying maps aren't big enough in Halo which I feel is a ridiculous statement. I'm all for big maps, I just hate having so much "dead time" as I would call it, in maps where it takes me so long too get back into the action. I really miss things like teleporters and man cannon in Halo multiplayer maps. I feel they didn't put a lot of those in H5 maps because of sprint. Personally, I think overall Halo 5 multiplayer maps don't hold a candle to a lot of the older ones.

I would just have a fast base movement speed like the newest Doom had, clamber, go back to classic zoom style as this dam ADS styles look is just garbage! And most likely add thrusters in as well. I would bring back duel wielding and I'd also bring back equipment as pick up items. The possibilities with equipment are endless!!! I think this would be a very fair compromise between old and new style Halo.

Realistically, I think it's unlikely 343I will get rid of the sprint animation in Halo as they seem to think it adds so much to the game 🙄

....but you never know. It looks like art style wise it's going to be a lot more like the original halos and such and that's amazing!!! And that music in the trailer, that iconic music.... outstanding!! Maybe Marty is doing the music and that will be there big reveal next E3 😉
I sure hope so. Going back to the original art style but then keeping all the mechanics in Halo 5 would be such a let down for me. I love the classic style, but I also don't mind some new abilities. Just prefer a slow progression instead of throwing everything at us at once like they have with the previous 2 titles.
kevboard wrote:
so funny how many people still believein the myththat these new mechanics made halo faster xD laughable.
I bet you all also only take homeopathic medicine, for that awesome placebo effect!

up the movement speed to 120% and you literally are as fast as you are with sprint, without all the crappy downsides.

Armor abilities make Halo alower and less skill based, everyone who says otherwise clearly has absolutely no idea what they are talking about.
how many gameplay analysis vidvid need to be made to drill that into your brains?
So funny how people continue to think that when someone says they are faster they are only talking about how long it takes to get from one side of the map to the other...
You understand that the abilities aren't just sprint right? You can thrust side to side, Slide, and even hover for a short period of time. All this including sprint and base movement add to a faster character. No matter what movement speed you put it at your never going to be able to use your momentum in addition to a hover to cross gaps that weren't meant to be crossed with a simple jump. You wont be able to automatically change direction midair or instantly go the opposite direction when strafing. You can nearly double you forward momentum buy combining Sliding, jumps and thrusting. Its only slightly faster than running if your just trying to get places faster as you still have to restart your sprint but using it in combat like one super thrust can easily throw off your opponent not to mention the speed and fast changes in hit box size and angle make you much harder to hit.
...
Naqser wrote:
VexHax wrote:
As in we all have to walk around really slowly and such?
Game Levels and maps are designed with the gameplay mechanics in mind. Your point offers no contribution to your cause, because you could just argue that level designers will design levels with the intent of making it fun with the classic movement system. Why do you think the original trilogy was great without sprint and it didn't seem like it took forever to get to places?
It did seem like it took forever, especially in CE
I'm curious to see times to traverse a map in CE vs Halo 5.
However, let's assume the smallest maps in CE take double the time to traverse of the smallest Halo 5 maps.
Would you say that's a player mechanic issue? Is the simplest solution in that case then to implement a player mechanic which requires more programming, animations and testing?

JohnDang55 wrote:
I don't know why people wants players to be weaker. All this does would make power weapon users even better against less agile opponents and vehicles would dominate.

I've played games where a regular scorpion can lock you down in warzone, now imagine that but with no slide or spring or thruster you would be screwed.
So, all in all, weapons and vehicles would not be attempted to be balanced for the sandbox they're in? And to solve that balance issue, new player mechanics are introduced?
It takes roughly the same amount of time because the maps are scaled up for sprint.
Naqser wrote:
VexHax wrote:
As in we all have to walk around really slowly and such?
Game Levels and maps are designed with the gameplay mechanics in mind. Your point offers no contribution to your cause, because you could just argue that level designers will design levels with the intent of making it fun with the classic movement system. Why do you think the original trilogy was great without sprint and it didn't seem like it took forever to get to places?
It did seem like it took forever, especially in CE
I'm curious to see times to traverse a map in CE vs Halo 5.
However, let's assume the smallest maps in CE take double the time to traverse of the smallest Halo 5 maps.
Would you say that's a player mechanic issue? Is the simplest solution in that case then to implement a player mechanic which requires more programming, animations and testing?

JohnDang55 wrote:
I don't know why people wants players to be weaker. All this does would make power weapon users even better against less agile opponents and vehicles would dominate.

I've played games where a regular scorpion can lock you down in warzone, now imagine that but with no slide or spring or thruster you would be screwed.
So, all in all, weapons and vehicles would not be attempted to be balanced for the sandbox they're in? And to solve that balance issue, new player mechanics are introduced?
It takes roughly the same amount of time because the maps are scaled up for sprint.
That's circular logic, because it relies on the assumption that for both Halo CE and 5 the designers aimed for similar traversal times. One can't really be sure without testing.
Naqser wrote:
VexHax wrote:
As in we all have to walk around really slowly and such?
Game Levels and maps are designed with the gameplay mechanics in mind. Your point offers no contribution to your cause, because you could just argue that level designers will design levels with the intent of making it fun with the classic movement system. Why do you think the original trilogy was great without sprint and it didn't seem like it took forever to get to places?
It did seem like it took forever, especially in CE
I'm curious to see times to traverse a map in CE vs Halo 5.
However, let's assume the smallest maps in CE take double the time to traverse of the smallest Halo 5 maps.
Would you say that's a player mechanic issue? Is the simplest solution in that case then to implement a player mechanic which requires more programming, animations and testing?

JohnDang55 wrote:
I don't know why people wants players to be weaker. All this does would make power weapon users even better against less agile opponents and vehicles would dominate.

I've played games where a regular scorpion can lock you down in warzone, now imagine that but with no slide or spring or thruster you would be screwed.
So, all in all, weapons and vehicles would not be attempted to be balanced for the sandbox they're in? And to solve that balance issue, new player mechanics are introduced?
It takes roughly the same amount of time because the maps are scaled up for sprint.
Can't be stated unless tested.
Though my question doesn't need actual results. The whole premisis of my query is based on an assumption which works with the notion that it felt like it took forever in CE to move around the map.
25th most played on live is bottoming out. 20k daily population is bottoming out. Honestly they need to try ANYTHING else.
I consider games like "Brink" or "Battleborn" to be "bottoming out." Not performing to your expectations (or even "Top 10") isn't bottoming out.

The advanced mobility trend has come and gone.
And yet it's still here.
Considering Halo is the flagship xbox game, that's bottoming out, what would happen if dota or CS weren't Steams most played games, or Zelda and Mario weren't in the top 10 purchased games? 2 and 3 were number 1, reach never dipped below top 5 in its lifetime. I'm fairly certain 4 and 5 sunk out of the top 10 within 6 months..that's bottoming out for a AAA flagship game that's supposed to anchor console sales.
If the game is announced without Spartan Abilities I will buy the game and have a ton of friends online.. if it has Sprint, slide, thruster.. no one will be online
As long as they don't bring back Armor Lock and Jetpack, I don't care.
I survived before Sprint and Spartan abilities, and long after. So what happens will happen.

However I prefer they be gone, that's my preference.
In my opinion, Halo 5 movement mechanics are awesome. Spartan charge, ground pound... Spectacular. Therefore, I don't feel very appealing return to the old mechanics, neither the old esthetic, but I would agree with the old style of music and interesting spots of the old Halos.
I really hope Halo goes back to the classic movement mechanics. In my opinion, the franchise has been ruined by the addition of sprint, thrusters, and clamber. The trailer for Halo Infinite shows a return to the classic artstyle, and that is awesome. But, I'm going to hold back my excitement until we see some classic gameplay to go along with it.
I personally would like to see a return to the classic movement mechanics. Simple but elegant.
In my opinion, this game has a really high chance of bringing back the classic gameplay so many old Halo fans have adored! I am so pumped for this!

EDIT: Wow, I didn't expect such diverse opinions on this subject. The Halo community really is split in half. I'm sorry you have to deal with us, 343 :/
If they remove all movement abilities it will be the first glimmer of hope we are getting a Halo game worth of the OG trilogy. Please 343i, do the right thing. remove all this junk you've added
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 156