Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The return of classic movement mechanics?

OP A So So Sniper

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 63
  4. 64
  5. 65
  6. 66
  7. 67
  8. ...
  9. 169
Simple solution to the traditional halo versus progressive halo dilemma:

Split Halo into 2 games, both with 4 year development cycles. Alternate releases every 2 years.

Game 1 = Traditional HaloNo sprint
No abilities
Follows story of Master Chief
Classic game-play/mechanics

Game 2 = Progressive HaloAbilities
New stuff
Follows other spartans and explores other stories within the Halo universe

This solution gives devs plenty of time to produce a good game. It lets 343 do whatever they want with Halo. They can add abilities, add new shenanigans, whatever. Traditional Halo fans are appeased and proponents of a more progressive halo get what they want as well. The Halo universe is more than big enough to have two different halo games. The Progressive Halo game would need a different name than Halo, but that's not really a huge deal imo.
A ok with that. Like I said, I enjoy 5s gameplay more than 3s, its just I don't think one should replace the other as they're so different.
And let Progressive Halo take Locke with them while we keep the Chief lol.
Unknown wrote:
Etamus2 wrote:
Halo needs to not worry about returning to old style game play, sprinting I think is a good thing. The people wanting no sprint, are players with rose tinted views of past great games, but games need to evolve. If Halo Infinite has no sprint or speed movements, I fear we will not get the newer players who will feel the movement is clunky and old fashioned. Halo fans need to be open to new ideas from developers and not bash them relentlessly for trying new things.
How would you explain CS:GO's spike in popularity in 2014-2015 then? How would you explain Runescape, World of Warcraft, and DoTA 2's current popularity, which are based on old school design? Most people don't really care about gameplay evolution. Having "newer" mechanics in a game doesn't necessarily mean it is automatically better.
I'd have to agree with both of you. I look back at Halo 3 and remember how amazing it was when it came out. The player base was huge and stuck with the game for years. That game did not differ very much from HCE in core gameplay. So obviously you don't need new mechanics for a good game. Then there are current games like fortnite and overwatch that use different movement and gameplay mechanics and they are wildly successful. When you think about it, both classic gameplay mechanics and new gameplay mechanics could be in a "good" Halo game. I think either one would work well in a good game. It just has to be balanced.
Naqser wrote:
I'm in favor of going back to an older style of gameplay with the exception of movement. Clambering is a godsend and sprint feels good as long as the maps are not made artificially bigger.
Sprint does affect map size, especially the smaller ones. For example, Truth vs Midship, max speed and along the same routes would yield close to the same time to travel.

Clamber is a second chance jump, and a slightly higher jump height. Any ledge you're not supposed to get over will be higher than clamber activation distance to it, or a barrier will be in place to prevent you from clambering that ledge.
I think you missed my point. 343i stretched the size of maps to account for sprint. I'm saying base map size off of base movement speed, but keep sprint. As for clamber, there is nothing more frustrating than your shins getting stuck on an edge and you falling as a result. They can design maps to prevent clamber from being abused while still keeping one of the best quality of life changes in recent Halo.
Naqser wrote:
I'm in favor of going back to an older style of gameplay with the exception of movement. Clambering is a godsend and sprint feels good as long as the maps are not made artificially bigger.
Sprint does affect map size, especially the smaller ones. For example, Truth vs Midship, max speed and along the same routes would yield close to the same time to travel.

Clamber is a second chance jump, and a slightly higher jump height. Any ledge you're not supposed to get over will be higher than clamber activation distance to it, or a barrier will be in place to prevent you from clambering that ledge.
I think you missed my point. 343i stretched the size of maps to account for sprint. I'm saying base map size off of base movement speed, but keep sprint. As for clamber, there is nothing more frustrating than your shins getting stuck on an edge and you falling as a result. They can design maps to prevent clamber from being abused while still keeping one of the best quality of life changes in recent Halo.
The only quality of life changes introduced by H5G was the "change seat in a vehicle" button. Clamber imho is just too geometry breaking overall and makes it hard to reintroduce some of the best maps of the past like Guardian into the new formula.

At least debuff this yoink! Limit climbing to a jump max height point and when you fall climbing can't be activated. That would at least reduce wide jump problems, while vertical issues would again be "solved" by making everything higher or adding more obstacles. Personality though I think everything that takes away the golden trinity of gun, grenade and melee is a bad addition, but oh well.

And I'm not even starting with sprint again! 😂
Simple solution to the traditional halo versus progressive halo dilemma:

Split Halo into 2 games, both with 4 year development cycles. Alternate releases every 2 years.

Game 1 = Traditional HaloNo sprint
No abilities
Follows story of Master Chief
Classic game-play/mechanics

Game 2 = Progressive HaloAbilities
New stuff
Follows other spartans and explores other stories within the Halo universe

This solution gives devs plenty of time to produce a good game. It lets 343 do whatever they want with Halo. They can add abilities, add new shenanigans, whatever. Traditional Halo fans are appeased and proponents of a more progressive halo get what they want as well. The Halo universe is more than big enough to have two different halo games. The Progressive Halo game would need a different name than Halo, but that's not really a huge deal imo.
A ok with that. Like I said, I enjoy 5s gameplay more than 3s, its just I don't think one should replace the other as they're so different.
And let Progressive Halo take Locke with them while we keep the Chief lol.
Yes plz. Tho as side note, Locke is actually a cool character, u just can't learn that from the games... Or any of 5's plot, for that matter.

This post has been hidden.

Naqser wrote:

Risk of messed up map flow with players getting places faster than map designer intended, or making jumps that aren't supposed to be doable.

Either the jump isn't supposed to be possible, or you failed the jump, and as a result fell.
What's the difference between the shins getting stuck then falling, and jumping only to see the ledge just out of reach for clambering?

I don't really see mechanic additions which allow users a second chance immediately after failing as a "quality of life increase".
A quality of life update would be better armor organisation or favouriting Reqs for easy access in Warzone.
Naqser wrote:
Just keep Sprint that's all I want it'll be difficult players who are use to the movement of reach,4 and 5 I personally would have a rough time getting use to being slow again and plus what spartan can't Sprint that just seems redundant I mean come on if halo infinite is gonna be a open world game we will thank God for Sprint in this one
How would it be difficult? Are Reach, 4 and 5 players not changing between different genres? I never found it difficult to play different games with different mechanics, even in the same genres, or am I a special adaptable case?

Do you "feel" slow in Halo 5 when you're fighting? Do you feel slow in Halo 5 when you're not sprinting?

What Spartan can't prone? Corner lean? Blind fire?
How are spartans in their expensive exoskeleton suits and their augmentations not able to move at their top speed while maintaining the ability to fire accurately?

You know, IF Halo infinite is open world, the success of that open world and our appreciation for sprint or lack thereof, has nothing to do with each other, and everything to do with how that open world is designed.
It can be well designed and no sprint present, just as well as it can be horribly designed, and no-sprint having nothing to do with that horrible design. Same applies to sprint being in too.

"Feeling fast", is something the game conveys to you through different visual aspects, FoV, bobbing, speed lines to name a few. Without ever touching the BMS to begin with. Sprint isn't needed for that, and if speed was ever an issue, raw speed, then that issue would still glare through in the moments you're not sprinting, as in when you're fighting, if speed was / is an issue, wouldn't combat speed still be an issue? Why not just save a alot of time and resources increasing the BMS? With sprint, for map traversal, the only thing you're provided with, is the "sensation of going slightly faster", on a map which was designed around the time it takes to get places with sprint. Which means, regardless of the default fastest intended speed, you will get places in the time the designer intended.
A to B in five seconds is five seconds in a game with sprint, and in a game without sprint. The only thing you're getting is raw speed, but maps are scaled to it so those 12 seconds to cross the map, is the same 12 seconds it takes in previous games lacking sprint, to cross the map, or whatever time the designers chose in their design.
Blind fire would just be useless in halo and yes i feel slower in halo 3 than reach
Naqser wrote:
Just keep Sprint that's all I want it'll be difficult players who are use to the movement of reach,4 and 5 I personally would have a rough time getting use to being slow again and plus what spartan can't Sprint that just seems redundant I mean come on if halo infinite is gonna be a open world game we will thank God for Sprint in this one
How would it be difficult? Are Reach, 4 and 5 players not changing between different genres? I never found it difficult to play different games with different mechanics, even in the same genres, or am I a special adaptable case?

Do you "feel" slow in Halo 5 when you're fighting? Do you feel slow in Halo 5 when you're not sprinting?

How are spartans in their expensive exoskeleton suits and their augmentations not able to move at their top speed while maintaining the ability to fire accurately?

You know, IF Halo infinite is open world, the success of that open world and our appreciation for sprint or lack thereof, has nothing to do with each other, and everything to do with how that open world is designed.
It can be well designed and no sprint present, just as well as it can be horribly designed, and no-sprint having nothing to do with that horrible design. Same applies to sprint being in too.

"Feeling fast", is something the game conveys to you through different visual aspects, FoV, bobbing, speed lines to name a few. Without ever touching the BMS to begin with. Sprint isn't needed for that, and if speed was ever an issue, raw speed, then that issue would still glare through in the moments you're not sprinting, as in when you're fighting, if speed was / is an issue, wouldn't combat speed still be an issue? Why not just save a alot of time and resources increasing the BMS? With sprint, for map traversal, the only thing you're provided with, is the "sensation of going slightly faster", on a map which was designed around the time it takes to get places with sprint. Which means, regardless of the default fastest intended speed, you will get places in the time the designer intended.
A to B in five seconds is five seconds in a game with sprint, and in a game without sprint. The only thing you're getting is raw speed, but maps are scaled to it so those 12 seconds to cross the map, is the same 12 seconds it takes in previous games lacking sprint, to cross the map, or whatever time the designers chose in their design.
Blind fire would just be useless in halo and yes i feel slower in halo 3 than reach
"Feels" slower and "move" slower are two different things.

Objectively, you move slower in Halo Reach (without the Sprint ability) than you do in Halo 3.

People were capable of getting used to all the other chances between Halo Reach and 4, why is this one change suddenly too difficult? Half the time people go back to the Halo 3 throwback playlist anyway, which doesn't have Sprint.
MY OPINION
I enjoy the varying mechanics of core gameplay throughout all the series. H5's multiplayer is a superb blast with many speedy features. I find myself often wanting to play through old campaigns with H5's sprint/boost (might give me an extra edge against the Flood--I dunno?). Now, I'm a hardcore fan of CE.
It would be interesting to make a test run of all things said in the argument of having or not having H5 mechanics. In order to accomplish this, H5 mechanics could be implemented in a brand new Halo CE game--as a sort of marketing curve to see what hits/misses with fans.

MINI-HALO GAME IDEA!!!!
Overall, it would be a great experience to traverse classic levels in the Halo series in a game that releases b4 Infinite (a precursor of sorts) that allows players to replay classic levels like the Silent Cartographer, H2's Delta Halo, H3's Tsavo Highway, H4's Midnight, etc, etc; letting players utilize H5 skills to find new items across the maps and fight new bosses. Could be called HALO: SLIPSPACE where spartans team up to tackle old missions with new skills and enemies (meaning, the Prometheans have managed to navigate time in order to destroy humanity's chance of survival in key pivotal conflicts of the recent galactic past--the Forerunners want to prevent humanity from stopping the Covenant in the Covenant's attempt to use Halo).

SUM
Perhaps Infinite will find a balance between these mechanics and introduce new ones! :)
MY OPINIONI enjoy the varying mechanics of core gameplay throughout all the series. H5's multiplayer is a superb blast with many speedy features. I find myself often wanting to play through old campaigns with H5's sprint/boost (might give me an extra edge against the Flood--I dunno?). Now, I'm a hardcore fan of CE.
It would be interesting to make a test run of all things said in the argument of having or not having H5 mechanics. In order to accomplish this, H5 mechanics could be implemented in a brand new Halo CE game--as a sort of marketing curve to see what hits/misses with fans.

MINI-HALO GAME IDEA!!!!Overall, it would be a great experience to traverse classic levels in the Halo series in a game that releases b4 Infinite (a precursor of sorts) that allows players to replay classic levels like the Silent Cartographer, H2's Delta Halo, H3's Tsavo Highway, H4's Midnight, etc, etc; letting players utilize H5 skills to find new items across the maps and fight new bosses. Could be called HALO: SLIPSPACE where spartans team up to tackle old missions with new skills and enemies (meaning, the Prometheans have managed to navigate time in order to destroy humanity's chance of survival in key pivotal conflicts of the recent galactic past--the Forerunners want to prevent humanity from stopping the Covenant in the Covenant's attempt to use Halo).

SUMPerhaps Infinite will find a balance between these mechanics and introduce new ones! :)
Wouldn't mind that at all. Perhaps a classic version of 4 and 5 and maybe even Reach would be cool, too (but 5'd better have better writing if so). I still hope classic mechanics make SOME sort of comeback in Infinite, tho. I'll be very salty if not.
MY OPINIONI enjoy the varying mechanics of core gameplay throughout all the series. H5's multiplayer is a superb blast with many speedy features. I find myself often wanting to play through old campaigns with H5's sprint/boost (might give me an extra edge against the Flood--I dunno?). Now, I'm a hardcore fan of CE.

MINI-HALO GAME IDEA!!!!Overall, it would be a great experience to traverse classic levels in the Halo series in a game that releases b4 Infinite (a precursor of sorts) that allows players to replay classic levels like the Silent Cartographer, H2's Delta Halo, H3's Tsavo Highway, H4's Midnight, etc, etc; letting players utilize H5 skills to find new items across the maps and fight new bosses. Could be called HALO: SLIPSPACE where spartans team up to tackle old missions with new skills and enemies (meaning, the Prometheans have managed to navigate time in order to destroy humanity's chance of survival in key pivotal conflicts of the recent galactic past--the Forerunners want to prevent humanity from stopping the Covenant in the Covenant's attempt to use Halo).

SUMPerhaps Infinite will find a balance between these mechanics and introduce new ones! :)
Wouldn't mind that at all. Perhaps a classic version of 4 and 5 and maybe even Reach would be cool, too (but 5'd better have better writing if so). I still hope classic mechanics make SOME sort of comeback in Infinite, tho. I'll be very salty if not.
Naqser wrote:

Blind firing being useless is irrelevant, why can't a Spartan blind fire? Feels redundant that they can't blind fire.

Halo 3 vs Reach wasn't one of the many questions I asked ( and the ones I asked went unanswered ). However as you brought that subject up.

Here are some facts:
Halo FoVs over the years.
Field of View effects.
Speed comparison.

Halo Reach's FoV is higher than Halo 3's.
FoV has an effect on percieved speed.
Halo Reach BMS is slightly slower than Halo 3,2 and CE.
Even without using sprint in Reach I'm not surprised you feel faster in Reach due to the FoV despite the slightly slower BMS.
But what about Halo 5, do you feel slow when not sprinting? Do you feel slow when fighting in Halo 5?
Here’s the deal. With a title (name) like Halo Infinite, hopefully they can meet everyone’s needs on this. I personally hate sprint in halo, ever since reach came out it has changed not only your player characteristics, but for me, more importantly the map design, size and layout. Sprint by necessity creates larger maps in order to compensate for it. I’m not trying to start an argument between classic and modern. I just think that 343 needs to keep this in mind as they develop infinite’s multiplayer. Quite simply we need both (classic and modern.) With a name like infinite this shouldn’t be too far of a reach.
This is one long disscussion! I tried to read all the post but I had to give up a 3rd of the way in. Its all just conversations in circles. I'll try to do my part for the debate.

In my opinion. Bungie messed up Sprint. Not by bringing it into Reach, but by not making it a standard action. It shouldn't have been an Armor Ability. Where Bungie went wrong with the AA system is with the weapon loadaouts attached to them. Fair starts can still work as long as my offensive firepower and yours match on spawning. When they mixed up the spawning weapons that changed the Halo feel for Reach. I liked AA's because they gave players more options of playstyles. To me they work in Halo because they are defensive or non-aggresive in nature on their own. (other than the EMP of Armor Lock.) Each also were standardized in Reach, so my Jetpack is exactly like your Jetpack.

343i messed up AA's and loadouts in H4 by making everything adjustable with mods. Even though sprint was added as a standard action. Your sprint could last longer than my sprint and my shield could recharge faster than yours, all because of mods. This changed the fair gameplay from the Halo fair play feel. H5 corrected this and thanks for that, but with the new creation of Spartan Abilities, yes, we gained fair play back. At the cost of the playstyle choices standardized AA's brought us. I've always been a casual player in Halo even though most of my online gaming is Halo related. I like to kick back an chill, talking with my friends about what ever. Now with the abiltity to be hyper-aggesive with Thruster Pack (only one AA) I'm sweating it up and my casual friends all bailed to go play Destiny because it was more chill. I'll admit at first I struggled with H5's intense gameplay, I actually had to study youtubers just to keep up. Study just to play a game, a franchise I've enjoyed for 17 years? But now that I've adapted I can do fairly well. However that casual Halo feel is gone and so are all my gaming friends. Unless I play Destiny or Sea of Thieves.

I'd like to see the game slow down a little but removing sprint isn't it. Thruster Pack, I think is the problem and that it is the only option there is for non-standard movement. 343i could still control which playlists have them, but I think if I could choose Invis or Dropshield while defending my flag I'd get that casual feel back. I'd rather see AA's back as a group or have Thruster Pack removed. Its fair, but it does make for some sweaty gameplay when you link Stabilizers, Ground Pound, Shoulder Charge and Infinite Sprint with it. If they want to keep a multi-directional movement in just slow it down to an Evade like in Reach. Its useful but you can't do it anytime and in every situation. You need to be on the ground and like sprint you can't reload, shoot or toss a grenade.

This discussion that sprint isn't Halo is irrelevant as long as its a fair mechanic. Besides to me Halo isn't just a FPS anymore, its a quality cross medium entertainment interest. I read all the books, graphic novels and collect a few Halo collectables.

In my opinion sprint is good, but something has to go to bring back the casual players. As far as the bringing back classic movement side of the discussion claiming that all OG Halo CE players want it. Count me out.

P.S. love the new art style!
Battle wrote:
This is one long disscussion! I tried to read all the post but I had to give up a 3rd of the way in. Its all just conversations in circles. I'll try to do my part for the debate.
A lot of the reason why you believe X would work is exactly why some people dislike it in the first place.

You say Sprints problem was that it wasn't a standard action, but people right now still dislike Sprint, despite it being a standard action in Halo 5. It wasn't (entirely) about whether it works with equal starts or not, it was how Sprint affects the game in every aspect. Even well after you spawn, it still affects the game in a way people see as negative.

I mean Thruster Pack is as aggressive and defensive as Reach's evade, with a longer cool down. It also can't be modified (outside of a specific Sword and Warzone). It's a standard action, but you'd still rather see it removed for reasons not related to equal starts.

Removing Sprint doesn't necessarily slow the game down, just like how adding Sprint doesn't necessarily make the game play faster. It's not like your speed decreased, because that's a separate variable that you can even control in Custom Games.
Battle wrote:
A lot of the reason why you believe X would work is exactly why some people dislike it in the first place.

You say Sprints problem was that it wasn't a standard action, but people right now still dislike Sprint, despite it being a standard action in Halo 5. It wasn't (entirely) about whether it works with equal starts or not, it was how Sprint affects the game in every aspect. Even well after you spawn, it still affects the game in a way people see as negative.

I mean Thruster Pack is as aggressive and defensive as Reach's evade, with a longer cool down. It also can't be modified (outside of a specific Sword and Warzone). It's a standard action, but you'd still rather see it removed for reasons not related to equal starts.

Removing Sprint doesn't necessarily slow the game down, just like how adding Sprint doesn't necessarily make the game play faster. It's not like your speed decreased, because that's a separate variable that you can even control in Custom Games.
Yeah spartan abilities never did anything to the equal starts experience. One of the few things I really liked from Halo 5 was a return to equal starts. That is a pretty fundamental Halo multiplayer aspect.
As in we all have to walk around really slowly and such?
YOU WERE ALWAYS RUNNING!!!
Battle wrote:

My opinion on sprint isn't about like and dislike of sprint. Its that sprint in h5 is fair, unlike Reach's or H4's and a long as its fair I'm good with it.

My opinon on Thrusters isn't that its unfair, its that its balanced in a way that it can be used to allow players to be overly aggresive.

Thruster pack I would argue can be used more aggresively than Evade. Thrusters can be used at any moment. Halo jumping though a legit strategy is enhanced with the Thruster Pack. I know a lot of people that won't play Halo because the Time to Kill is higher and Halo jumping is a frustration for them. They all went to CoD, however those same people I mentioned all play Destiny all the time.
They don't mind the TTK now and Destiny took AA's way too far in my opinion, especially with Supers, but they love to play it. I've spoken with many in person on the subject trying to get them back into Halo and they have no interest because of bad memories of how annoying Halo jumping was for them, I solo que all my Haloing now.
If you've ever played an online match of H5 then you've seen someone coming at you jumping repeatedly then thrusting in a new direction while shooting. That takes the Halo jumping too far, in my opinion, and makes the game too sweaty. With Evade it is a multi-directional movement that is restricted to ground use only. So Evade would only be half as sweaty to deal with as Thruster pack.

I think we should all be ok with sprint, its fair and balanced (Melee, Grenade, Shoot; Crouchwalk, Walk, Sprint; Light Ground vehicle, Heavy Ground Vehicle, Air Vehicle.) Having to change map scaling is not even an issue when looking at if its fair.
What people fail to realize is that 343i's interest in Halo is to succeed, they want too. They have the ability and and interest to change anything they choose in the franchise. We should feel lucky thay haven't followed other trends like wall-running, and if at is the case it better just be an AA or I may just join the oppostion.
My stance on this is about fairness not like and dislike. As long as Halo stays fair, I'm good with it.
Battle wrote:
Battle wrote:
miss edit
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 63
  4. 64
  5. 65
  6. 66
  7. 67
  8. ...
  9. 169