Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The WOW moment we need

OP HotshotCrib6256

There is one thing I missed above anything else from the last e3 reveal. A big WOW moment lead by a couple small wow ones.
People sure complained about visuals, and 343 are addressing those, but for me, it is an epic battle and some spectacular scene that would hype me up.
I want to feel as excited as I was for Halo 2 and for that, we need to see this epic battle, sense of scale and do something crazy to do as the hero the MC is.

I am talking level/mission design. Make sure they are all different, impactful and good, and show us a glimpse of one of the best moments.

I hope that they pull it off this E3
I have been burnt on the hype train too many times and have learned my lesson that the biggest "wow moments" tend to be lies that just set up for disappointment, at least when it comes to the world of advertising and conventions on upcoming products.

For example I remember a wow moment specific to me was the announcement of the MCC with its perfect graphics (which fortunately made it into the game) and promise of countless hours of MP being just it was when the old games were popular. I had spent every day after that E3 just waiting for the eventual release and when it came the fact that I couldn't find a single MP match for a week, every other campaign mission crashed, and I had my achievement progress reset every 3 weeks damaged my faith in the series more or less irreparably as I am still of the mindset that I will never pre-order a game again.

If E3 has some awesome moment of Hype building that would be cool I guess, but its no longer what I look for in fact it makes me more skeptical than ever. I much prefer the more "boring" down to Earth Q&A forums with the staff whose job isn't explicitly just to oversell their product but rather to simply make it instead.
I'm going into Infinite with reasonable expectations. My first taste of utter disappointment was Fable on the original xbox followed by Halo 2 which surely ranks even now as the most disappointing game ever for me personally at least. Coming from having played CE campaign so many times Halo2 was was both brilliant and broken, stunning and frankly shoddy at times that I both loved and hated it. Bungie never quite understood why the first game was so majestic with each of the excellent but flawed sequels. I do however play them all the time but my point is after Halo1, each of the games disappointed me in some way because the potential of Halo gameplay when it's perfectly realised is something to truly look forward to

Infinite I believe does at least have the potential to really demonstrate how good Halo can be but after many years and sequels, I'm still going in reserved this time
Craig with a mohawk pls
There is one thing I missed above anything else from the last e3 reveal. A big WOW moment lead by a couple small wow ones.
People sure complained about visuals, and 343 are addressing those, but for me, it is an epic battle and some spectacular scene that would hype me up.
I want to feel as excited as I was for Halo 2 and for that, we need to see this epic battle, sense of scale and do something crazy to do as the hero the MC is.

I am talking level/mission design. Make sure they are all different, impactful and good, and show us a glimpse of one of the best moments.

Wow moment = spartan stops sprinting with his gun down and never puts it down again. If valorant can succeed , then a halo game that plays like a halo game can as well.
I think that was one of two big issues with the gameplay reveal for infinite (the other being the graphics). It was just basic gameplay. Fun, but not that exciting for a “GAMEPLAY REVEAL” That’s like if at E3 2007, bungie showed the crows nest mission where chief just runs down corridors and shoots jackals and brutes. its fun but it ain’t particularly engaging, especially when there’s so much more exciting stuff to do in halo 3 like driving down Tsavo highway in a chopper destroying enemy vehicles, piloting the Hornet and shooting banshees and phantoms out of the sky above the beach on The Covenant or fighting the scarab on the storm. Halo Infinite most likely has epic moments like those said previously. But for some reason, 343 decided to show something comparable to crows nest.
I think they went with the area seen in the demo due to A) it being quite similar to the Halo level of CE in terms of look and feel, and B) it didn't give too much away story-wise.

Its a bit like making a trailer for a comedy movie: if you use all the best jokes in the trailer, people walk out of the movie less satisfied, where as if you use the mediocre jokes in the trailer, less people are compelled to go see it.

I personally wouldn't want to have any impactful moments from the game 'spoiled' for me in a trailer or demo.
I have been burnt on the hype train too many times and have learned my lesson that the biggest "wow moments" tend to be lies that just set up for disappointment, at least when it comes to the world of advertising and conventions on upcoming products.

For example I remember a wow moment specific to me was the announcement of the MCC with its perfect graphics (which fortunately made it into the game) and promise of countless hours of MP being just it was when the old games were popular. I had spent every day after that E3 just waiting for the eventual release and when it came the fact that I couldn't find a single MP match for a week, every other campaign mission crashed, and I had my achievement progress reset every 3 weeks damaged my faith in the series more or less irreparably as I am still of the mindset that I will never pre-order a game again.

If E3 has some awesome moment of Hype building that would be cool I guess, but its no longer what I look for in fact it makes me more skeptical than ever. I prefer the more boring down to earth Q&A forums with the staff whose job isnt to oversell their product but to simply make it instead.
The greatest example is: Cyberpunk 2077 the game has nothing in common with the gameplay reveal

Agreed.

Something like a dual Scarab battle would do that nicely🤘🏻
Remember when teasers actually teased you, didn't show anything from the game, and hyped you up more than anything they show in today's marketing?
I feel like this is what they tried to pull off with the trailer where the pilot saves Chief floating in space but I’ll agree it doesn’t hit as hard as the Halo 3 one.
The wow moment would be the return to Halo 2/3 multiplayer gameplay.
My brain has become so desensitized to wow moments now after gaming for 20+ years.
I still want a moment that was like Halo 2. I will never forget seeing the Gauss Hog for the first time and that entire sequence.
I just cant get back on the hype train. The first gameplay reveal derailed it so badly that I cant get excited about it. For instance, I dont even bother watching the content creators breakdown the new news or reveals anymore. But having said that, I am still invested in the game and will preorder and pick it up on day one. Nothing they show will be a wow moment for me.

Sometimes I get Destiny (I think it was Destiny at E3, Im not sure) vibes when Bungie said something like "You can go anywhere you can see". I'll just wait for the finished product.
To be honest I already know I'm going to play the campaign so I'd like it if they didn't even show new campaign segments to keep everything a secret until you actually play it and feel that wow moment even more. If anything I'd like it if they just showed the same demo side by side with last years version to show the improvements. I know that would be incredibly stupid to generate hype, if they only did that I'm sure everyone watching would be disappointed so in that regard I wouldn't want them to only do that.