Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Theory about the Discover Hope trailer

OP Happy Place8166

I had a potentially interesting thought about the trailer... what if after the Chief jumps out of the Pelican into that blinding white we saw at the end, the next screen says something like "Four Months Earlier"?

As far as opening cut scenes go, it's fairly light on content. Compared to the opening scenes of almost every Halo game, it gives almost no information to set up the story. Idk, but it could be a cool way to start the game. Almost like how Reach's tag line was "from the beginning, you know the end". In this case, once the story of the game catches up with the opening cut scene, we enter into the final showdown (aka final mission of the game).
I had a potentially interesting thought about the trailer... what if after the Chief jumps out of the Pelican into that blinding white we saw at the end, the next screen says something like "Four Months Earlier"?

As far as opening cut scenes go, it's fairly light on content. Compared to the opening scenes of almost every Halo game, it gives almost no information to set up the story. Idk, but it could be a cool way to start the game. Almost like how Reach's tag line was "from the beginning, you know the end". In this case, once the story of the game catches up with the opening cut scene, we enter into the final showdown (aka final mission of the game).
Trailer begin with the same Halo 1 Vidoc
I could see that happening. Have a mission explain how we got to that point in the opening cutscene and then continue from there in present time.
I hope not, im really not a fan of unchronological mission progression(unless the name of the game is to mess with time or something similar) for it's needless exposition & creates momentary repetitiveness within the game as examples.
Just one of those cheap ways which usually are meant to create tension or sort of mystery even.
I hope not, im really not a fan of unchronological mission progression(unless the name of the game is to mess with time or something similar) for it's needless exposition & creates momentary repetitiveness within the game as examples.
Just one of those cheap ways which usually are meant to create tension or sort of mystery even.
I’d say it works. I captures me because then I WANT to know how it got to that point and then what’s next. There’s better ways to set up a plot but if 343 did this I wouldn’t necessarily be mad
I’d say it works. I captures me because then I WANT to know how it got to that point and then what’s next. There’s better ways to set up a plot but if 343 did this I wouldn’t necessarily be mad
Same for me. Some of my favorite episodes from the TV shows I watch are the ones where something crazy or mysterious is happening in the opening scene. Then it fades to black and says something like "24 hours earlier" or "One week ago". I think the term is called dramatic irony. It's where the audience knows something that the characters don't. In this case, we know that something bad happened or maybe even that a mission failed. Then when we revert back to before that moment, we try to piece together what led up to that failure.

The best example I can think of is the Firefly episode "Out of Gas", where it starts with the ship running out of air and Mal Reynolds bleeding on the deck. Then the next scene is cheery and nice, which makes me as an audience member pay attention even more, just waiting for the penny to drop.
So unless you mean you wouldn't otherwise want to see where the story leads then I dont really see any specific pro this type of middle in the beginning scene would have.

But different things for different people, for me it doesn't really add anything of value to the story but instead just removes some hints of surprise for next to no benefits in trade.

Though I wouldn't describe that I would get exactly "mad" either if Infinite has such beginning, I simply expect better, even after some fiascos in recent stories.
And if there are better options, why settle for anything less but the best the devs can come up with?

I get the point of mystery but I see it as just some extra sideline for viewers to follow, as long as there are some hints provided along the story up untill that point, instead of focusing on the story in itself as it is to make it engaging. It's almost like it would be a sign of mistrust towards their own story.
And in this case I used term "viewer" for it's about story aspect of a game instead of the whole interactive entity, just as a pre-clarifying statement.
I'd say it would need to be handled right. The "I bet you're wondering how I ended up in this situation. Well," *Flashback* is sometimes quite trite. I think it'd be better if the storytelling were more linear, either with the events of Discover Hope occurring after a mission or cutscene that explains them. Just my thought on the matter, though. And I'm sure if it's done right, the flashback path would be fine.
I'd say it would need to be handled right. The "I bet you're wondering how I ended up in this situation. Well," *Flashback* is sometimes quite trite. I think it'd be better if the storytelling were more linear, either with the events of Discover Hope occurring after a mission or cutscene that explains them. Just my thought on the matter, though. And I'm sure if it's done right, the flashback path would be fine.
Well Reach started out almost the exact same way. The tag line is "From the beginning, you know the end". Half of the opening scene shows Reach literally on fire and a bullet through Noble Six's helmet. So while a narrative style like this can be trite, as you say, if done correctly, it can lead to masterful storytelling.
Like I said in the original post, I agree that it can work. I think it's easier to go a more linear route and would probably prefeer that approach, personally. It also wouldn't have the same dire hook Reach did. Presumably, "Discover Hope" isn't the climax of the game. I anticipate it's in the first 3 missions. So they'd have to switch from flashback to linear anyways if that's the case, and that's one more thing that could go wrong.

Again, it could work out just fine. I just think I'd go more conventionally linear with this one like the Chief games have always done.
I could see that happening. It’s also possible that there is more to the cutscene than what we saw. I don’t think 343 has said the trailer was the whole cutscene. Someone feel free to correct me if I’m mistaken
That would be pretty interesting, as you say; the trailer itself didn't really shed a whole lot of light on what's actually going on. All we know is some poor pilot has been drifting about in space for probably about, I want to say 3 months given the length of his hair by the end of the arguably touching and also depressing holovid recording from his wife, a ring was heavily damaged (if not destroyed), and Chief has been floating about in space for an untold amount of time.

Given these details, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to imagine 343i might try to catch us up to speed about how the situation escalated to that point right after that. But that's only if this is the actual opening, for all we know, this could be one or two missions in. Anything is possible, but I am dying to find out!