Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Tim Longo leaving

OP HaloCrysisKIA88

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
What do you guys think about Tim Longo leaving 343i he was the creative director on 5 and infinite and now that hes gone his replacement is Mary Olsen apparently she was at bungie during their days when they made halo games and she will now lead the campaign team for halo infinite what do you think about these changes Microsoft says it wont affect the holiday 2020 release
https://www.windowscentral.com/halo-infinite-creative-director-tim-longo-leaves-developer-replaced-executive-producer-mary-olson
I'm honestly torn on whether this is good news or bad news. On the one hand TIm Longo was creative director on Halo 5 and yikes I can't say I'll miss him, but at the same time creative directors leaving more than a year before launch and after years of development is no a good sign as far as project health goes. I worry about about dev crunch because there is no game that is worth the strain it puts on its developers.

At the very least it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out in the end.
I'll miss him, but I don't think it's that big of a loss in the grand scheme of things. At this point creative direction has been determined, not to mention Chris Lee is still the man in charge, and he's still around.
WerepyreND wrote:
I'm honestly torn on whether this is good news or bad news. On the one hand TIm Longo was creative director on Halo 5 and yikes I can't say I'll miss him, but at the same time creative directors leaving more than a year before launch and after years of development is no a good sign as far as project health goes. I worry about about dev crunch because there is no game that is worth the strain it puts on its developers.

At the very least it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out in the end.
Cyberpunk 2077's creative director left CDPR in January, and CDPR went on to actually give a release date for the game five months later, nor is there any concern about the game's development. It doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Could it mean something? Sure. But it's as likely as any of about a dozen other, benign explanations that have nothing to do with the game. If you see a few high-level managers on the project leave all within a relatively short timeframe, THEN I'll start to worry. If Chris Lee left, I'd worry.

As for crunch, with a launch game that has a largely fixed date, there's one of two possibilities: 1) Devs are crunching to make that date, or 2) They were given a large cushion of time to account for most things that might come up.

Given the extended dev cycle of this game (it'll have been five years since Halo 5 by holiday 2020), the comments from Phil Spencer about giving his teams more time to get things right, and the fact that they evidently have the time and resources to work on the MCC PC port concurrently, I'd guess they are just fine. I believe they also have external studios working on various components of the game, which takes pressure off.

Don't forget they also revamped the game's engine specifically to make it easier to work with.
Honestly I never even knew who that was until now, so, no clue how I feel about it. I just hope Infinite comes out well and not a mess like any other game that's had lead developers leave midway through development.
What do you guys think about Tim Longo leaving 343i he was the creative director on 5 and infinite and now that hes gone his replacement is Mary Olsen apparently she was at bungie during their days when they made halo games and she will now lead the campaign team for halo infinite what do you think about these changes Microsoft says it wont affect the holiday 2020 release
https://www.windowscentral.com/halo-infinite-creative-director-tim-longo-leaves-developer-replaced-executive-producer-mary-olson
I wouldn't worry too much. It's a long way to release and he's been replaced by an industry veteran in Mary Olsen. Also, it's not like other studios that had it worse in terms of losing key developers imo.
I think the game will be fine. He was quite dissapointing in Halo 5
That's not the whole picture (or maybe it's written in the article from the link, but my phone refuses to open the page right now,so here a little summary):

Tim Longo was removed from the position of Creative Director a few weeks back. He was still working for 343i in the mean while, we don't know what his new role was though. Only than he left the company at his own accord. The position for Creative Director at 343i is still open (until yesterday at least, it might have changed now, but I doubt it)! Mary Olsen is not Longo's replacement, Chris Lee will oversee the last phase of production (source: MondoXbox). Miss Olsen did however move up in the rankings from "Executive Producer" to "Campaign Lead Producer" and yes, she did work for Bungie, but I don't know what her role was back than, nor do I know the time frame.

I don't think this will impact Halo Infinite too much if at all. Maybe some minor design assets or colour ranges from some prop might be different from the initial plan, stuff like this, but that's it. A year of development in such a huge project is not much time at all and in fact in this phase art and creative directors normally oversee the final production, while at the same time starting the pre-production for the next project. Reason why I think all this has more to do with Halo 7 than Halo infinite!
Reason why I think all this has more to do with Halo 7 than Halo infinite!
Those are one and the same, are they not?
Reason why I think all this has more to do with Halo 7 than Halo infinite!
Those are one and the same, are they not?
???

Nope, Halo infinite would be Halo 6 mate!^^'
WerepyreND wrote:

Cyberpunk 2077's creative director left CDPR in January, and CDPR went on to actually give a release date for the game five months later, nor is there any concern about the game's development. It doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Could it mean something? Sure. But it's as likely as any of about a dozen other, benign explanations that have nothing to do with the game. If you see a few high-level managers on the project leave all within a relatively short timeframe, THEN I'll start to worry. If Chris Lee left, I'd worry.

As for crunch, with a launch game that has a largely fixed date, there's one of two possibilities: 1) Devs are crunching to make that date, or 2) They were given a large cushion of time to account for most things that might come up.

Given the extended dev cycle of this game (it'll have been five years since Halo 5 by holiday 2020), the comments from Phil Spencer about giving his teams more time to get things right, and the fact that they evidently have the time and resources to work on the MCC PC port concurrently, I'd guess they are just fine. I believe they also have external studios working on various components of the game, which takes pressure off.

Don't forget they also revamped the game's engine specifically to make it easier to work with.
You don't really tend to here about how well/terribly a game's development has gone until it actually releases if at all so the jury is still out. CDPR is no stranger to crunch. Having years of prior development time doesn't necessarily mean a lot if there are last minute decisions to scrap what they had and start over a year before launch, especially where Halo is concerned.

I'm don't intend to go around telling everyone the sky is falling, I just don't think we should dismiss high level shakeups out of hand. Perhaps I just have the naive hope that if folks at large continue to bring up concerns regarding crunch on projects of any kind, the powers that be might start to get at least some of the "don't crunch your dev team, ever" message. I'd rather check in and be wrong than learn the devs were put through the wringer after the fact.
Even though he was the creative director in halo 5, still bad that its a year before the game launches. Lots of people are now fearing for the next halo game since it's 343's last chance and 343 is Microsoft biggest ip. Let's hope they follow what cybprrunk did as the game is still looking good.
AMA4N wrote:
Even though he was the creative director in halo 5, still bad that its a year before the game launches. Lots of people are now fearing for the next halo game since it's 343's last chance and 343 is Microsoft biggest ip. Let's hope they follow what cybprrunk did as the game is still looking good.
Hi is a soft reboot for a reason. I would say the last chance was H5 for most people, now barely anyone trusts in 343i. Which sucks because they got plenty of talents and big names in their studios, but that didn't mean H4's MP, the MCC and Halo 5 weren't failures. Now they're also having huge issues with the Reach porting as well! It seems nothing Bungie related they touch ends well! I can only hope that all this will change once the Slipspace engine takes over.
I don't care as long as the game ends up well
AMA4N wrote:
Hi is a soft reboot for a reason. I would say the last chance was H5 for most people, now barely anyone trusts in 343i. Which sucks because they got plenty of talents and big names in their studios, but that didn't mean H4's MP, the MCC and Halo 5 weren't failures. Now they're also having huge issues with the Reach porting as well! It seems nothing Bungie related they touch ends well! I can only hope that all this will change once the Slipspace engine takes over.
But they have done some good things like making halo wars 2 really good, leane their mistakes from MCC. I understand their problems with reach being ported into MCC. At least Infinite will be master chief again. Locks was dull for me. As long as reach in MCC does really well in day 1 no matter how long it takes, fans will be happy.
AMA4N wrote:
But they have done some good things like making halo wars 2 really good, leane their mistakes from MCC. I understand their problems with reach being ported into MCC. At least Infinite will be master chief again. Locks was dull for me. As long as reach in MCC does really well in day 1 no matter how long it takes, fans will be happy.
Not again! 🙈

HALO WARS IS NOT A 343i GAME. I reapeat: HALO WARS IS NOT A 343i GAME! That master piece that is Halo wars 2 was made CREATIVE ASSEMBLY.

I don't understand why people are praising 343i for something they barely touched. They're doing the server maintenance and post de-bugging work after the last DLC released though from what I can gather, but right now they are not even doing that until the Reach porting is over!
AMA4N wrote:
Not again! 🙈

HALO WARS IS NOT A 343i GAME. I reapeat:HALO WARS IS NOT A 343i GAME! That master piece that is Halo wars 2 was made CREATIVE ASSEMBLY.

I don't understand why people are praising 343i for something they barely touched. They're doing the server maintenance and post de-bugging work after the last DLC released though from what I can gather, but right now they are not even doing that until the Reach porting is over!
No. They both made the game. Scroll down to "Game Details" for proof.
Normally, people leaving their high value positions represents a bad sign. We will probably never know the exact reasons and divergences that led Tim Long to be replaced, but I hope it doesn't change the game entirely again in the last minute.
AMA4N wrote:
Not again! 🙈

HALO WARS IS NOT A 343i GAME. I reapeat:HALO WARS IS NOT A 343i GAME! That master piece that is Halo wars 2 was made CREATIVE ASSEMBLY.

No. They both made the game. Scroll down to "Game Details" for proof.
I don't even...

Every Halo title is also a 343i game because MS wants to associate the company with the franchise. That doesn't mean they have to be heavily or even directly be involved with the development. Quite often they outsource the development while keeping an eye on the lore side and only overseeing the post launch for maintenance and stuff internally.

An example for that are the two Halo mobile games made by Vanguard Games, which both are not 343i games, and yet are presented as such. Another example is the MCC where every single title and the actual collection were made by different studios initially, while 343i only helped out with the netcode for H2A and worked on the unified UI. Their involvement with Halo Wars 2 was even less profound than that and the production was quite similar to the outsourcing seen with Vanguard. Game made by another studio while 343i checked in for lore reason and took the maintenance over by the time the last dlc was released.

If that's enough to call it a 343i game go for it! For me it isn't. It's a Creative Assembly game trough and true.
If he is indeed leaving then it's sad to hear Tim moving on from Halo, but this doesn't automatically mean bad for the development of Infinite or for the future of the franchise. People come and go from companies all the time. Wish him all the best wherever he ends up moving on to next :)
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3