Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Tim Longo's successor Mary Olson has now left 343i

OP MrSid117

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
https://gamingbolt.com/halo-infinite-lead-producer-has-left-343-industries-report
I am surprised no one has posted this yet?
Mary Olson, who succeeded Tim Longo in August, as the Lead Producer of Halo Infinite at 343 Industries, has now left the studio as well.

Mod edit: 343 has responded to comments regarding this over on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/dhaj8i/halo_infinite_director_tim_longo_left_the_company/f3nrvu0/
MrSid117 wrote:
as the Lead Producer of Halo Infinite at 343 Industries
Chris Lee is the lead producer. BIG difference
I mean hard to say what this means. People come and go often when there not needed anymore, or could be personal issues or anything really. Its all speculation . Id worry more if the game was closer to release but we're still way off.
MrSid117 wrote:
https://gamingbolt.com/halo-infinite-lead-producer-has-left-343-industries-report
Mary Olson, who succeeded Tim Longo in August, as the Lead Producer of Halo Infinite at 343 Industries, has now left the studio as well.
Just read the news in an Italian forum and came here to add the info in the the Longo tread, but it was buried too far and couldn't find it any more!^^'
I guess a new tread about miss Olson is fine as well though.

PS.: she wasn't the lead producer though? If I remember correctly she was the campaign's new executive producer. It was Chris Lee that had and still has that role! Tim Longo on the other hand was the Creative Director and the role is still vacant and only temporarily filled by Lee in the time being. I'm too tired to fact check it again frankly, but I remembered that Longo and Miss Olson never had the exact same role at 343i.
MrSid117 wrote:
Read the article mate.
Also, this article says the same thing.
https://www.windowscentral.com/halo-infinite-lead-producer-departs-343-industries?amp
She was the Campaign Lead at the very least. She was promoted when Tim left back in August. And now she has left too, just 2 months later.
I know the 'overall vision' of the game is being led by Chris Lee.
Should we be concerned?
MrSid117 wrote:
MrSid117 wrote:
Read the article mate.
Also, this article says the same thing.
https://www.windowscentral.com/halo-infinite-lead-producer-departs-343-industries?amp
She was the Campaign Lead at the very least. She was promoted when Tim left back in August. And now she has left too, just 2 months later.
I know the 'overall vision' of the game is being led by Chris Lee.
Lol,seems like no one wants to be the Campaign Lead after Halo 5!
Read multiple articles stating she never actually took over as lead/position. More than likely, she received an offer that couldn’t have been refused and she left. It’s business.

I understand that this community loves the franchise dearly but maybe stop looking at everything under a microscope.
I always knew going for nostalgia will end up in a mess. Now, we’ll have another Duke Nukem Forever in our hands (I hope not.)
I always knew going for nostalgia will end up in a mess. Now, we’ll have another Duke Nukem Forever in our hands (I hope not.)
This is what scares me. They either have to hit a grand slam or the community is going to crucify them. I worry that creative freedom is being partially limited by being a ‘spiritual reboot’ and taking inspiration from prior games.
stckrboy wrote:
Should we be concerned?
Nope, there's really nothing to be concerned about here at all: https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/dhaj8i/halo_infinite_director_tim_longo_left_the_company/f3nrvu0/
Because department heads leaving in a final stage of game development cycle is nothing to be concerned about , recent AAA history would suggest otherwise , but I would run a very similar narrative if I was 343i .
It also seems like the Brad Sams leaks may have been on the money , regardless of whatever is or isn't happening behind the scenes ,we have to be mindful of the fact that it's a late 2020 release and then judge the game on its merits at that time .
People leave jobs all the time, for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with or will leave no bearing on the final product. Publicly we are only hearing about this now but internally it has likely been known for a while and planned accordingly.

In my own work we just a lead developer leave as we were gearing up for our next major release. We've coped just fine and got it out the door. News like this is never always a bad thing.
After reading the reddit of Tim and olsons role. I don't think this is bad as people think. Tim's was basicially helping creating ideas. Olson wasn't really the lead producer for long.

I do wish Olson the best of luck.
Duke Nukem forever wasn't even CLOSE to being anything like the original. They weren't going for nostalgia at all, they were just trying to bring Duke forward and failed miserably! Not to mention all this aside that game went under so many different transformations it wasn't even funny. I don't think it's a good game to make comparisons on with anything.

MrSid117 wrote:

Mod edit: 343 has responded to comments regarding this over on Reddit:https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/dhaj8i/halo_infinite_director_tim_longo_left_the_company/f3nrvu0/
I don't think it's a big deal as people leave jobs all the time especially in this industry. Now, if Frank O'Connor left, that would be a different story.
Uny's comment makes me feel much better about these departures. Thanks to him for clearing things up.
Duke Nukem forever wasn't even CLOSE to being anything like the original. They weren't going for nostalgia at all, they were just trying to bring Duke forward and failed miserably! Not to mention all this aside that game went under so many different transformations it wasn't even funny. I don't think it's a good game to make comparisons on with anything.

MrSid117 wrote:

Mod edit: 343 has responded to comments regarding this over on Reddit:https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/dhaj8i/halo_infinite_director_tim_longo_left_the_company/f3nrvu0/
I don't think it's a big deal as people leave jobs all the time especially in this industry. Now, if Frank O'Connor left, that would be a different story.
True, but I mentioned Duke Nukem mainly for its troubled development

MrSid117 wrote:

True, but I mentioned Duke Nukem mainly for its troubled development
Can't say H:I had a "troubled development" so far
It is taking longer than the usual Halo-Game, since it is was made with a completely new engine,
but as I recall the last few years, there's been no indication that H:I was in any trouble IMO
It's 343i's job to rightfully downplay all of this to keep confidence in their product high. I appreciate that, and I understand it. I also understand that this position in the development heiarchy isn't the highest and most consequential, so it isn't as bombastic to have these sorts of mixups going in as it could be if more influential leads were leaving left and right.

All I can speak for is the perspective of myself, a solitary wru longtime fan of this franchise and a somewhat informed follower of the gaming industry as a whole. But from that perspective, this constant mixing up behind the scenes at 343i is optically troubling. It isn't beyond the scope of possible coincidence at this point, but it never comes across as a good omen to see these moves going on.

343i is right to maintain an optimistic attitude about the reasons for these departures and a constant faith in their development process. But they also need to understand why fans may be troubled by this sort of news, and they need to be introspective and self-critical enough to look for internal issues that may be affecting these departures we keep hearing about.

It's certainly their job to tell us that everything is alright and the sky isn't falling behind the scenes, and I'd be way more concerned if they weren't doing that. I just hope it isn't a situation where an employer sees a constant struggle and regular turnover in a certain position they hire for, and always assume the problem rests with the employees who have abandoned the role rather than in any way the position could be especially troublesome to occupy. That happens far too often, and it'd be a shame to learn that it's the reason they can't seem to keep this slot occupied.

Again, it's just an optical problem at the moment from the outside. It could be all coincidence and hyperbole at this point in time, but they have to understand it doesn't look good.
You think a producer leaving the project = a new Duke Nukem Forever? A game that was in development for approximately 14 years, started over multiple times, switched studios multiple times, and was eventually just dragged across the finish line by Gearbox?

The title of this thread isn't even accurate. Olson didn't "succeed" Longo - she was promoted to a new position at the same time Longo left, but not HIS position. She became a producer on the campaign, which basically means she was there to help keep things running smoothly. That said, I actually do wonder if there's a connection between Longo leaving, and Olson getting moved then leaving herself, but more in terms of what I'll nebulously call "internal problems", and not necessarily problems with the game.

I get that people are placing a lot of desperate hopes on Halo Infinite to be the perfect next-gen Halo we all see in our heads, and that people are thus over-analyzing every shred of news about the game or 343, but... can we all take a deep breath?

Cyberpunk 2077's creative director left that project earlier this year, and there's a fair chance you never even heard about it, let alone launched into a panic. Losing a producer is certainly newsworthy, but not something to cause you to throw your hands up and declare that it's all doomed.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2