Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Time Travel Theory

OP RENWICK117

Does anybody else get the feeling that Halo Infinite is going to introduce time travel? The reason I say this is because:

I) it ties into the title;
ii) the suit shown in the E3 trailer looks like the Halo 1 suit; and
iii) the Halo shown in the same trailer, and the locale shown in the 2018 teaser trailer, looks like the first ring.
I'd say it's unlikely that they would introduce time travel, mainly because time travel is too complicated to do correctly. Also it is unlikely the the halo ring is alpha halo due to alpha halo having no damage done to it before the pillar of autumn arrived at the ring. Speaking of the pillar of autumn, that was not anywhere in the trailer implying that chief is there before the pillar of autumns arrival since it can't be after because if it was how did the other pilot know of the rings existence before anyone else and what was he doing there? And the reason "maybe he stumbled upon it" isn't plausible since he seems to act as though he knows what the halo ring is. And it can't be after then halo ring would be destroyed and if it was before the rings destruction and after the pillar of autumns arrival then it makes no sense that chief would be up in space unless the time travel created two chiefs, in which the chief in space would be the chief from the future, however that then creates two problems because if he is future chief why would he be wearing older armour when going back in time as well as the idea of there being two chiefs just isn't a very good one in itself.

Basically, the idea of time travel can be good, however it isn't very likely mainly because of the lack of overall sense it would make.
I have a feeling the Infinite armour is a gen 3 suit. I hope they don't introduce time travel, I've never liked it as a plot point except in Steins Gate.
No.

The reason it is called Halo Infinite is most likely because the game is going to be open world, and probably a Games As A Service in some form. They will also probably use Infinite as a stepping point for introducing new stories and content, rather than producing new games.

The reason Chief's classic armor is back is because 343i knows that everyone hated their art design for Halo 4 and 5 (which had very little explanation itself outside of nanomachines and 'lol aliens have different ethnicities') and this is returning to the classic style that everyone liked.

The first teaser was more of a showcase for the Slipspace Engine rather than an actual trailer for the game. Much like the announcement trailer for Halo 5 had pretty much nothing to do with the game (or all the commercials and marketing material).

There will not be time travel in the game.
that would probably be the worst thing that could happen at this point. Imagine the kind of plotholes this would introduce
I have a feeling the Infinite armour is a gen 3 suit. I hope they don't introduce time travel, I've never liked it as a plot point except in Steins Gate.
Its 100% confirmed that the suit is GEN-III as seen in Chief's visor during the trailer. There won't be time travel, that would be even worse than their Ultron wannabe.
I should add that I agree that introducing time travel is a terrible idea. I've NEVER seen it done correctly, and it would just create a whole host of issues.
Its 100% confirmed that the suit is GEN-III as seen in Chief's visor during the trailer. There won't be time travel, that would be even worse than their Ultron wannabe.
For real? I didn't catch that in the trailer, was it in all the text that scrolls by really fast?
No. It's a gimmick of a writing trick and is cheating by the writer. The writers were so bad in Halo 5 I don't think they have the leeway to resort to gimmicks and cheating to tell a story.
It says in the message of the day that it takes place right after Halo 5.
KayMrt wrote:
No. It's a gimmick of a writing trick and is cheating by the writer. The writers were so bad in Halo 5 I don't think they have the leeway to resort to gimmicks and cheating to tell a story.
I hope you're right, and agree that the Halo 5 writers were off base. I love the 'corrupt/enlightened Cortana' angle, but it was so poorly executed. (No-one cares about Locke!!)

I'm also pretty miffed that during the entire Xbox One era, 343 only gave us one dedicated FPS Halo title. That the lone entry itself only had us playing as the Chief in 2 missions was just a slap in the face.
RENWICK117 wrote:
KayMrt wrote:
I hope you're right. I'm also a published novelist, and agree that the Halo 5 writers were off base. I love the 'corrupt/enlightened Cortana' angle, but it was so poorly executed. (No-one cares about Locke!!)

I'm also pretty miffed that during the entire Xbox One era, 343 only gave us one dedicated FPS Halo title. That the lone entry itself only had us playing as the Chief in 2 missions was just a slap in the face.
It's especially a slap in the face considering the marketing was all about "choose your side" and seemed like it'd be an even split with Lock/Chief. Turns out you just hunt Chief when, I'd assume, most people would pick the side of Chief.
KayMrt wrote:
RENWICK117 wrote:
KayMrt wrote:
I hope you're right. I'm also a published novelist, and agree that the Halo 5 writers were off base. I love the 'corrupt/enlightened Cortana' angle, but it was so poorly executed. (No-one cares about Locke!!)

It's especially a slap in the face considering the marketing was all about "choose your side" and seemed like it'd be an even split with Lock/Chief. Turns out you just hunt Chief when, I'd assume, most people would pick the side of Chief.
Couldn't agree more. Turns out that the 'truth' in 'Hunt the Truth' was that 343i was on one of the largest misleading advertising campaigns this century.
RENWICK117 wrote:
I should add that I agree that introducing time travel is a terrible idea. I've NEVER seen it done correctly, and it would just create a whole host of issues.
I agree with you and I really hope they don't because every time they introduce time travels in fiction chances are you're gonna get paradoxes, nonsense storyline, clichés and lazy fixes for problems in the main plot. So yeah, I'd rather have a predictable story then dealing with time travels and such.

I also don't see it really teased in any way since the armor was recently created and updated as seen from the trailer. Then I can guess the control room was the one from installation 09 or 04C since it really resembles the one from Alpha Halo.
For real? I didn't catch that in the trailer, was it in all the text that scrolls by really fast?
Yes, at the beginning.
1. I guess?
2. Not the same armor at all, it's more comparable to the Mk. IV from Forward Unto Dawn
3. Hints are pointing toward this ring being Instillation 07, or Zeta Halo. Also, all the rings looks more or less the same, and due to the damage on the Ark I'm not sure a new I04 can be constructed.

All they're doing is trying to bring Halo back to its roots by touching upon similar elements the popular games had, such as Halo Rings, classic armor, classic music, etc. I highly doubt 343i would resort to time travel to fix the universe, even time dilation may be too complicated of a concept to implement. I think the story is going to be very straight forward instead.
Yes, at the beginning.
I looked online after I asked, that's awesome. I wonder if that means H5 abilities will be returning.
Yes, at the beginning.
I looked online after I asked, that's awesome. I wonder if that means H5 abilities will be returning.
I'd say it's just short of confirmed that they will, honestly. Others seem to be more optimistic, but i'm not buying it. At the very least, i find it extremely unlikely that 343i will remove sprint.