Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

To those who are worried about micro transactions.

OP lil kdawg jr

343 has confirmed before that loot boxes will not be in the game. And it’s only the multiplayer that will be free the campaign will most likely still be at full price (because of its size) plus the possibility of campaign expansions will also bring in more money.
I'm one of the few people that don't care if devs decide to add MTX in their games or not. The cost of making games only goes up and the $60 price tag by itself just doesn't cut it anymore. If 343i feels like they need a battle pass or an in-game storefront to offset the cost of production somewhat then by all means more power to them, if I like the game, then I'll support them by purchasing MTX. Until games cost $100 or more I wouldn't expect micro-transactions to go away.
You're just lying to yourself.
Dr Mobi wrote:
I'm one of the few people that don't care if devs decide to add MTX in their games or not. The cost of making games only goes up and the $60 price tag by itself just doesn't cut it anymore. If 343i feels like they need a battle pass or an in-game storefront to offset the cost of production somewhat then by all means more power to them, if I like the game, then I'll support them by purchasing MTX. Until games cost $100 or more I wouldn't expect micro-transactions to go away.
With all due respect, the gaming industry is bigger now than it has ever been. It makes more money than even the movie industry. There is no reason for mtx to be in a $60 game.
343 stated that "real money loot boxes" will not be in the game.

Not that all forms of loot boxes will not be in the game. Did you not notice how they carefully worded it??

Not that all forms of loot boxes will not be in the game. Did you not notice how they carefully worded it??
Still people are making a huge deal out of micro transactions if “real money loot boxes” aren’t in the game that still proves my point

Still people are making a huge deal out of micro transactions if “real money loot boxes” aren’t in the game that still proves my point
You know the difference right?

There could still be loot boxes that you unlock using credits. Said credits of which could potentially be purchased with real money. So technically you are not buying a loot box directly with real money.

This is how companies get around promises.

You know the difference right?

There could still be loot boxes that you unlock using credits. Said credits of which could potentially be purchased with real money. So technically you are not buying a loot box directly with real money.

This is how companies get around promises.
I suppose. But I really don’t think 343 will try something like that. It would only hurt their reputation even more than what they’ve already done. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.
There's plenty of other ways to monetize a game besides loot boxes.

Microtransactions: Halo Infinite will not include real-money loot boxes

Notice how they don't say it won't have microtransactions.
Dr Mobi wrote:
The $60 price tag is not some immutable law passed down from on high, its an arbitrary price set by publishers. N64/PS1 era games were actually quite expensive relative to both the value of the $ at the time and relative to their development costs. Companies today could increase prices, or manage their spending or just not go out of their way to build only the biggest and most expensive titles they possibly can. Player's shouldn't be forced to subsidize management incompetence and the publisher's do not have an inherent right to profit.

To make matters worse publishers have failed to actually demonstrate that they are losing meaningful amounts of money due to the $60 price tag, they just gesture towards increased cost of development while ignoring all context and their own failings.

It isn't about just making a stable, healthy profit for these companies. They expect endless growth at a faster rate year after year, which is not actually a reasonable thing to expect, yet they continue to try and squeeze out more and more money out of the same audience until they squeeze too hard and there is some pushback such as with lootboxes.

Make no mistake, lootboxes are far from the only manipulative money making practices that are widespread throughout the industry and it only gets worse when you get to F2P models. Sowing discontent among the playerbase in order to get them to spend money is what the Free 2 play model is built around.

I wish folks would stop uncritically accepting gaming industry talking points.
There's plenty of other ways to monetize a game besides loot boxes.

Microtransactions: Halo Infinite will not include real-money loot boxesNotice how they don't say it won't have microtransactions.
I doubt they’ll make them intrusive or look armors behind them. It’ll most likely be gun skins and visors. And if they do have armors maybe just variants of the armors you unlock through challenges
Given the careful wording I'd guess there's some kind of premium currency which you can earn or buy with real money and the premium currency is used to buy Battle Passes and/or REQ packs (both existing but perhaps battle pass being free for those who purchase the campaign or subscribe to Game Pass Ultimate). In any case it's FTP which means bad microtransaction practices are guaranteed.