Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Two Things I Hope 343 Learned From Halo 5

OP ExplodedLamb

1.) Instead of pretending the player base is making things up, actually listen to them, and don't wait years to make adjustments (ie Warzone farming, aim issues).
2.) It's 2020, you have to provide content beyond one year if you want people to continue playing.
Trust me, 343 Industries knows what the fans complain about. But also keep in mind, they cannot satisfy them all. There's alot that goes into stuff like this. They have to experiment with new things to keep things fresh for fans so they don't lose interest after a while. If the fans detest it, they learn for next time and can be more traditional. Plus remember, the fans themselves often don't always know what they want either. During Halo 4's reign, the Halo Nation almost unanimously wanted John's modded Mark VI to stay exclusive to him. Later many complain about why they can't wear it. But trust me, they listen, they don't give the fans deaf ears like Nintendo and Capcom does.
1.) Instead of pretending the player base is making things up, actually listen to them, and don't wait years to make adjustments (ie Warzone farming, aim issues).
2.) It's 2020, you have to provide content beyond one year if you want people to continue playing.
this is why bungie went their own way. working for Microsoft is a disaster.
and look how bungie turned out. Big oof there
With all due respect, I doubt any of us know working conditions at MS, bungie, or 343. But bungie was an independent dev before MS and published some of their own content. Now bungie returned to that. No shame of outgrowing stuff.

i think 343 is a baby company who’s learning as they go. I think they’ll deliver pretty well with infinite to appease most fans. Also keep in mind people bandwagon and people don’t know exactly what works and what doesn’t. There’s tons of surveys that go into making a game and feedback from previous titles and insiders. Have you ever went back to play the og trilogy? It feels pretty slow to me Atleast but maybe not to everyone. If a game launched with the pace of CE-3 now I wouldn’t expect it to do well.
Hope they keep the custom browser and forge. 343 did something amazing with custom games. Make anything then play it with anyone!
Well. we can hope they learned... But the fanbase has to learn from the mistakes too. Its not all once sided...
With all due respect, I doubt any of us know working conditions at MS, bungie, or 343. But bungie was an independent dev before MS and published some of their own content. Now bungie returned to that. No shame of outgrowing stuff.

i think 343 is a baby company who’s learning as they go. I think they’ll deliver pretty well with infinite to appease most fans. Also keep in mind people bandwagon and people don’t know exactly what works and what doesn’t. There’s tons of surveys that go into making a game and feedback from previous titles and insiders. Have you ever went back to play the og trilogy? It feels pretty slow to me Atleast but maybe not to everyone. If a game launched with the pace of CE-3 now I wouldn’t expect it to do well.
My point is that saying they left Microsoft made them better is incorrect. Really, they got wrangled in by another developer and now that they are independent again, are failing on their own merits. Is their current IP good? From a functional perspective, but from a game perspective and a feedback perspective, they are pretty terrible. It took them years to listen to feedback to improve D1, then they through all that feedback away for D2, which took a while to get to forsaken, which was then destroyed but each season pass.

I would argue the same thing with 343, even though there is some different context there. Its hard to argue that Bungie now is anywhere near its former self though when it comes to heart in their product. I don't doubt they care about Destiny, but it also does not feel like they do and Microsoft had no play in that (though they have their own track record of being a poor publisher)