Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Unsc spartan spear melee weapon?

OP HyDr LyNx

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I think a some sort of technologicaly advanced spear would be a great unsc equivalent to the energy sword in halo infinite.
First of all the main reason I chose the spear is because it was the signature weapon of the Greek Spartans and was a huge step forward in human evolution.
Another reason is because the energy swords long range(through lunging) can be used in spears due to their long ranges and not to mention it would just be a badass weapon to wield in general.

Obviously if this new weapon where to be added it would need qualities that make it differ from the classic energy sword so what do you guys think would be good.
It could be very cool! The idea of some sort of UNSC melee weapon to counter the Energy Sword in particular sounds like a lot of fun.

I can see it being a challenging thing to justify via lore, though. In the hands of a lot of SPARTAN's, a Shotgun is worth a few Energy Swords. Even if you look at the meta, doesn't seem like the Shotty has been an inferior counter to the Sword (I'd even argue the opposite, in fact).

The idea of a non-augmented human taking up any kind of melee weapon against Sanghelli Sword welders and Brutes with Gravity Hammers feels outright ridiculous, too.

Those are all hurdles keeping me from being able to see this happening, but as I said at the beginning of my post, I think it could be a really cool/fun idea if 343 can find satisfying lore logic explanations and make it a compelling and balanced (without being redundant to an already present element) addition to the sandbox.
I like the parallel with the Greek Spartans, but it seems impractical.

Though the same could be said about energy swords, they're more so ceremonial weapons. They're used because they have social significance to the Elites. The Brutes have melee weapons because they're animalistic, and have the strength and durability to use them effectively, and to get close enough to use them. They will also have them for social reasons, but tribal ones, not ceremonial.
first of all, ancient greek melee weapons had exactly zero impact on "human evolution",
second, there's just no reason why a Spartan-II should choose a spear as a to-go weapon,
keeping the currently overblown weapon sandbox (state of H5G) in mind.

Adding weapons just because of "coolness" has never been smart, it just makes them redundant & out of place.
For me it would just seem a bit out of place, given usually melee weapons have seemed to be ceremonial or status weapons for the leadership species of covenant species, ie elites & brutes.
And usually that haven't ended well for those without invisibility (or temporary invinsibility) given they get shot from a distance while they rush forward. Those individuals could have done much more damage with long arm weapons but im not goiing to argue with logic of a fictional sci-fi species in a matter of their culture/religion.
Obviously those with invisibility or temporary invincibility had an edge over other melee weapon wielding colleagues of theirs given they had a better chance of better gaining opportunities to close the distance between themselves & the possible opposing shooters, a technology better utilized in different operators, for example, think of a Halo 2 sniper jackals with invisibility (any challenge seekers there that would like to see such skull in the game that it would add similar sniper jackals in infinite, only invisible? Now that would be masochistic in a situation where they wouldn't check the spawns or possible spawn points from the internet). But it's again about some fictional culture/religion.

So I dont really see as to why humans would use melee type weapons and lose the advance they have in range over those zealous aliens. There is a reason why melee weapons are more of a last resort weapons rather than commonplace armament in war, even today.

And as a last resort material such weapons shouldn't really take room from other, more usable weapons in war, such as firearms or other form of ranged weaponry such as plasma weaponry, possibly I would see something as knife to be viable option for field operators given they have various usabilities in survival situations, in addition to alien-killing.

So I dont really see a reason for any UNSC troops to carry around spears.
A spear would be cool, at least as a sandbox weapon for custom games. It may not have an equivalent in matchmaking.
It could be very cool! The idea of some sort of UNSC melee weapon to counter the Energy Sword in particular sounds like a lot of fun.

I can see it being a challenging thing to justify via lore, though. In the hands of a lot of SPARTAN's, a Shotgun is worth a few Energy Swords. Even if you look at the meta, doesn't seem like the Shotty has been an inferior counter to the Sword (I'd even argue the opposite, in fact).
I tend to agree. The shotgun is balanced well against the sword.
I always thought the shotgun was the UNSC equivalent to the energy sword.
In a war where everyone has a gun, why do you need a spear? I agree that it's a cool idea, but I also agree it seems impractical.
You know those medieval weapons that had a big ball with spikes attached to a chain? They could make it like a human/spartan equivalent to the gravity hammer.
UNSC Spear no

Covenant Honor Guard Spear Yes

I mean for melee weapons UNSC would basically use a bayonet or even a shovel. But I don't really care for a shovel to be in Halo. I don't think Halo would benefit from a Red-Faction/Minecraft tunneling system. As for bayonets I don't really like attachments for weapons, The brute weapons can have the melee boosters.
I must commend the op for his homage to the historical side of things, although "a huge step forward in human evolution" is rather farfetched. While I agree with above posters that the shotgun already fulfills that role and has reached a point of counterbalancing the sword, that the spear would be impractical, that the energy sword was originally a ceremonial weapon, and the fact that every Covie gun having an exact UNSC counterpart would be redundant and occupy space in the sandbox, I would point out that there have been precedents for including out of place weapons. 343i clearly had no issue with putting a grav hammer on Midnight (as an easter egg or trophy?).
Brutes in H2 stockpiled and favored human shotguns so if Spartans using spears seems out of place, 343i could just give them to a Covie "heretical" sect which uses human weapons (like the ones in Reach firefight).
I was reminded of the GCPD trophy display room from Arkham Knight. At one point in the story, Batman has to return to this place to retrieve a REC gun. Do recall that there was a H3 ad with a museum with some Spikers on display. A Halo Infinite level featuring a section taking place in an UNSC museum (Penguin's museum in Arkham City is arguably the best detailed museum in any video game) would allow for an older model spear to be retrieved and used (not mandatory to beat the level though) for that segment without feeling too out of place (considering the CQC situations a la The Library).
Also, this is just me being subjective, but in the Dark Souls series, spears are just as viable as other more commonly used weapons, with some of the rarer ones having unique abilities and movesets. If implemented properly, the UNSC spear (or even Covie spear) would make for a welcome asset.

What I find to be ironic is that the UNSC was situated in a futuristic setting, but they're still using bullets (excepting the Spartan Laser, Railgun, and some other stuff found in the novels). Modern tanks IRL have faster movement and are equipped with modern tech while the Scorpion feels sluggish (even with it's turning), very outdated and out of place. Very few innovations have been made to it since it's inception. To me, the Scorpion has always felt underwhelming compared to the Wraith, despite it's higher firepower, accuracy, and increased durability.

I would also caution against justifying gameplay changes with canon. Reducing the AR's clip size and the severe nerfing of the magnum in H3 was clearly intended with MP in mind and they should have just said as much, but Bungie decided to retcon in it by saying, iirc, that the original AR had jamming issues. While I'm not too bitter about the AR change, the magnum should have had a scope (to accentuate it's remarkable accuracy), a larger clip size, and a faster firing rate; it was practically worthless in campaign, almost completely sidelined by the BR (whereas the magnum was still somewhat viable in H2). At least ODST/Reach/H4 managed to make the magnum relevant again.
UNSC Spear noCovenant Honor Guard Spear Yes I mean for melee weapons UNSC would basically use a bayonet or even a shovel. But I don't really care for a shovel to be in Halo. I don't think Halo would benefit from a Red-Faction/Minecraft tunneling system. As for bayonets I don't really like attachments for weapons, The brute weapons can have the melee boosters.
Now shovel is an interesting case in form that there doesn't seem to be much in a way of trenches or pretty much any form of cover requiring shovels. Some of the reasons I could think that are the cases for that are things like usually battles happen in larger cities where there is no reasonable places to dig while megacities also offer quite a lot of ready hiding places, other could be that the usual enemies have air superiority which means glassings and other support to opposing troops which leads to more mobile battles or, alternatively, increase in more secure bunkers which require a bit more than just a shovel.
So in this case, shovel could perhaps not be the optimal choice that UNSC personnel would carry against known opponents.
Bayonet could work against some more unarmored troops like jackals or grunts as a last resort but bayonets usability gets rarer and rarer with more and more armored troops on the field, like in addition to elites there are prometheans too (hopefully not that many encounters in the game though, they just have so absurd designs).

But as for honor guard spear, could work given it's already a ceremonial weapon that could be used situationally as improvised weapon, though it could likely be a thad bit rare.
I've always thought about what should a human melee weapon be and I can't believe I never thought of a spear even though it's so obvious now considering they're spartans. I think besides a long range thrust you should be able to throw it and pick it back up.
I've always thought about what should a human melee weapon be and I can't believe I never thought of a spear even though it's so obvious now considering they're spartans. I think besides a long range thrust you should be able to throw it and pick it back up.
I misread your last sentence at first and visualized a spear with stabilizing thrusters on the end.

Neat idea! But overall I’m not sure what it adds to the sandbox.

I personally think we have too many redundant weapons as it is. Halo 5 did help to make them more distinctive (Promethean weapons), but I think a few could still be shaved off.
JB Linken wrote:
I misread your last sentence at first and visualized a spear with stabilizing thrusters on the end.

Neat idea! But overall I’m not sure what it adds to the sandbox.

I personally think we have too many redundant weapons as it is. Halo 5 did help to make them more distinctive (Promethean weapons), but I think a few could still be shaved off.
Yeah true, I just really want a human melee weapon since the Elites and Brutes have one. I'd like a Promethean melee weapon too for that matter.
Geoffyz wrote:
A spear would be cool, at least as a sandbox weapon for custom games. It may not have an equivalent in matchmaking.

I tend to agree. The shotgun is balanced well against the sword.
Well I never considered the shotgun as a counter to the sword. I guess melee weapons were the one thing I was perfectly fine with the UNSC having no counterpart to.

I mean hand to hand combat has never left warfare and even in the FTL age (as well as the grim dark future of the 41st millennium) there will still be hand to hand combat. I mean the assassinations sort of fill that role (before they got turned into lootbox microtransactions). I sort of wish that in Legendary Difficulty they take the 1 hit melee kills and just change so that the AI will try and get behind you to perform an assassination.
SMOK69KMK wrote:
first of all, ancient greek melee weapons had exactly zero impact on "human evolution",
second, there's just no reason why a Spartan-II should choose a spear as a to-go weapon,
keeping the currently overblown weapon sandbox (state of H5G) in mind.

Adding weapons just because of "coolness" has never been smart, it just makes them redundant & out of place.
Well considering the huge advancements in hunting and combat spears caused I'd say yes it did impact human evolution

And the same could be said about the concept of energy swords but they had obviously been implemented so that they fit into the game which is what I was suggesting could happen to some type of spartan spear
I like the parallel with the Greek Spartans, but it seems impractical.

Though the same could be said about energy swords, they're more so ceremonial weapons. They're used because they have social significance to the Elites. The Brutes have melee weapons because they're animalistic, and have the strength and durability to use them effectively, and to get close enough to use them. They will also have them for social reasons, but tribal ones, not ceremonial.
This may seem abit of a stretch and it would obviously never happen but similarly to how the mjolnir armour was created specifically for the Spartans there could be a weapon created for the Spartans, ie the spear, which would give it the importance.

Obviously it would have to be some highly advanced spear but
Id love for spartans to be able to use melee weapons like knives and swords outside of assassinations
For me it would just seem a bit out of place, given usually melee weapons have seemed to be ceremonial or status weapons for the leadership species of covenant species, ie elites & brutes.
And usually that haven't ended well for those without invisibility (or temporary invinsibility) given they get shot from a distance while they rush forward. Those individuals could have done much more damage with long arm weapons but im not goiing to argue with logic of a fictional sci-fi species in a matter of their culture/religion.
Obviously those with invisibility or temporary invincibility had an edge over other melee weapon wielding colleagues of theirs given they had a better chance of better gaining opportunities to close the distance between themselves & the possible opposing shooters, a technology better utilized in different operators, for example, think of a Halo 2 sniper jackals with invisibility (any challenge seekers there that would like to see such skull in the game that it would add similar sniper jackals in infinite, only invisible? Now that would be masochistic in a situation where they wouldn't check the spawns or possible spawn points from the internet). But it's again about some fictional culture/religion.

So I dont really see as to why humans would use melee type weapons and lose the advance they have in range over those zealous aliens. There is a reason why melee weapons are more of a last resort weapons rather than commonplace armament in war, even today.

And as a last resort material such weapons shouldn't really take room from other, more usable weapons in war, such as firearms or other form of ranged weaponry such as plasma weaponry, possibly I would see something as knife to be viable option for field operators given they have various usabilities in survival situations, in addition to alien-killing.

So I dont really see a reason for any UNSC troops to carry around spears.
Yeah that's very true. Mabye it could be implemented in a golf club style re skin for the energy sword.
I was more thinking of an advanced spear which are exclusive to Spartans. I'm not sure how it could be advanced but if there was a way it made sense and could work in balance with other weapons that would be good
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2