Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Unsc spartan spear melee weapon?

OP HyDr LyNx

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
There’s not really an opening in the sandbox for one since it’s already filled by the Shotgun.
HyDr LyNx wrote:
I like the parallel with the Greek Spartans, but it seems impractical.

Though the same could be said about energy swords, they're more so ceremonial weapons. They're used because they have social significance to the Elites. The Brutes have melee weapons because they're animalistic, and have the strength and durability to use them effectively, and to get close enough to use them. They will also have them for social reasons, but tribal ones, not ceremonial.
This may seem abit of a stretch and it would obviously never happen but similarly to how the mjolnir armour was created specifically for the Spartans there could be a weapon created for the Spartans, ie the spear, which would give it the importance.

Obviously it would have to be some highly advanced spear but
The Elites and Brutes prize their melee weapons because of tradition, be it ceremonial or tribal. It just wouldn't make sense to make a spear for Spartans because they aren't ceremonial warriors, or animalistic brutes. They're soldiers.
Spartans already have a spear... just need to sharpen the edge of the flag!

Flagsassination for the win!!!

But anyway... I do like the idea of a spartan spear - from a historical bent.

Maybe they could be added for assassinations. Instead of a knife you have a fold out / extending spear at your disposal.
Darwi wrote:
Spartans already have a spear... just need to sharpen the edge of the flag!

Flagsassination for the win!!!

But anyway... I do like the idea of a spartan spear - from a historical bent.

Maybe they could be added for assassinations. Instead of a knife you have a fold out / extending spear at your disposal.
Flags and Bombs are the deadly weapons on the UNSC.
HyDr LyNx wrote:
For me it would just seem a bit out of place, given usually melee weapons have seemed to be ceremonial or status weapons for the leadership species of covenant species, ie elites & brutes.
And usually that haven't ended well for those without invisibility (or temporary invinsibility) given they get shot from a distance while they rush forward. Those individuals could have done much more damage with long arm weapons but im not goiing to argue with logic of a fictional sci-fi species in a matter of their culture/religion.
Obviously those with invisibility or temporary invincibility had an edge over other melee weapon wielding colleagues of theirs given they had a better chance of better gaining opportunities to close the distance between themselves & the possible opposing shooters, a technology better utilized in different operators, for example, think of a Halo 2 sniper jackals with invisibility (any challenge seekers there that would like to see such skull in the game that it would add similar sniper jackals in infinite, only invisible? Now that would be masochistic in a situation where they wouldn't check the spawns or possible spawn points from the internet). But it's again about some fictional culture/religion.

So I dont really see as to why humans would use melee type weapons and lose the advance they have in range over those zealous aliens. There is a reason why melee weapons are more of a last resort weapons rather than commonplace armament in war, even today.

And as a last resort material such weapons shouldn't really take room from other, more usable weapons in war, such as firearms or other form of ranged weaponry such as plasma weaponry, possibly I would see something as knife to be viable option for field operators given they have various usabilities in survival situations, in addition to alien-killing.

So I dont really see a reason for any UNSC troops to carry around spears.
Yeah that's very true. Mabye it could be implemented in a golf club style re skin for the energy sword.
I was more thinking of an advanced spear which are exclusive to Spartans. I'm not sure how it could be advanced but if there was a way it made sense and could work in balance with other weapons that would be good
I would get it as a nonserious weapon in multiplayer but otherwise it wouldn't really fit in.

I could think of retractable spear that could be easier to carry without the need to constantly hold it in hands but the problem there is that it would be taking a slot from firearm which are more effective in war and have been used as improvised melee weapons in gameplay anyway.
Other problem with that is that tech-wise UNSC melee weapons would fall short, they are heavier, they are less durable & so forth when compared to alien weaponry.

So only way I could see human version of spear weaponry in Halo would be non-canonical version. So if it's in campaign, then easter egg at most like scarab gun.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2