Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Vehicles need to be properly BALANCED!

OP Sir Boobington

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
DoubleSama wrote:
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think the increased mobility in the newer games is in part the reason why vehicles such as the Warthog feel underpowered. In Halo 3 for example, using a Warthog gave a player a significant advantage over the slower moving, less mobile infantry it was against. However, in a game like Halo 5, infantry players can sprint, slide, thrust, hover, and clamber, making them much more mobile. This means that although a vehicle may have infinite ammo and more health, a skilled infantry player with a decent power weapon can actually do a significant amount of damage on their own compared to previous games.

While I mentioned all of the newer spartan abilities, this is by no means a critique of them, but rather an example of how they have the potential to make vehicles less viable. I think that something more needs to be added to some of the ground vehicles in particular in Halo Infinite if they're to remain relevant, but I'm not entirely sure what.
You made very good points, I can say from experience that being a gunner on a Warthog is a fast way to die for sure. Sprint and thrusters make it a bit more difficult to splatter and whatnot, but I've felt that the biggest killer of a warthog was just the DMR and BR. Those weapons are just too darn accurate and can be fired constantly with no recoil. But like you said when you add Spartan abilities into the mix and power weapons the vehicles don't stand much of a chance. This is more prevalent in Warzone however, but in BTB I feel its a bit more manageable since you can't purchase a power weapon.
Too many anti vehicle weapons in Halo 5
I was never concerned about vehicle damage in Reach. If anything I though that was when they got so bouncy. I distinctly remember commenting repeatedly during Halo 4 that small arms fire shouldn't damage vehicles at all. They are military vehicles. They should be able to take small arms fire. Otherwise they are useless as transportation. Who honestly believes you should be able to take on a Scorpion with a pistol? Anyone? I thought the plasma pistol EMP was a suitable counter, but taking on a vehicle, in my opinion, should require something that packs a punch, starting with grenades and going up from there.
Yes. I remember the days when my friends from CoD loved playing Halo specifically because the mix of vehicle and infantry combat, coupled with good communication made for awesome gameplay that couldn't be found anywhere else. Well that and Rocket Race!

Dueling Warthogs on Sandtrap, smashing a Chopper through an Elephant, dodging a Banshee on a mongoose with a flag carrier on the back. This is a huge part of what brought them over from CoD. Now they just play CoD....I wonder what happened.
Maybe its just me, but I think the vehicles are quite balanced. In BTB, there are a ton of anti vehicle weapons that can be used, & as the vehicle driver, depending on skill & routes you take, these can sometimes be avoided. In WZ, you have a whole weapons cache at your disposal to take down vehicles. Take your pick. I also think being able to snipe or pick off the gunner with a precision weapon is great, it does take skill, especially with the snipe. This makes any Hog varient not to OP.

Edit: Also OP, are you saying vehicles need a buff or a nerf?
Maybe its just me, but I think the vehicles are quite balanced. In BTB, there are a ton of anti vehicle weapons that can be used, & as the vehicle driver, depending on skill & routes you take, these can sometimes be avoided. In WZ, you have a whole weapons cache at your disposal to take down vehicles. Take your pick. I also think being able to snipe or pick off the gunner with a precision weapon is great, it does take skill, especially with the snipe. This makes any Hog varient not to OP.

I'm not going to speak for OP, but what I have noticed is that the more abilities a player is given on foot, the more likely they are to try and lonewolf it, and take ways that keep them out of the paths made for vehicle combat, and pick off vehicles with precision weapons (Iv'e done it plenty) from safety. That coupled with the ability of everyone to sprint, charge, thrust, jump between cover, has made vehicle play almost seem like a afterthought in the sandbox, regardless of how many "skins" each vehicle gets. They all seem like they are just a box filled on a spreadsheet and peppered with lore, specifically designed to fit the loot experience that Warzone thrives on. Hell even BTB seems like an after thought, and wasn't available in time to grab players attention.
Yes. I remember the days when my friends from CoD loved playing Halo specifically because the mix of vehicle and infantry combat, coupled with good communication made for awesome gameplay that couldn't be found anywhere else. Well that and Rocket Race!

Dueling Warthogs on Sandtrap, smashing a Chopper through an Elephant, dodging a Banshee on a mongoose with a flag carrier on the back. This is a huge part of what brought them over from CoD. Now they just play CoD....I wonder what happened.
Well, some new vehicles appeared with Halo 4, but they were mostly for theater (Mammoth, Lich). 343i doesn't seem to like vehicles. Halo 5's emphasis on tournament play means no vehicles. I'm thinking no one there knows anything about military vehicles (military anything, for that matter). Halo Wars is where the action is on that front. 343i thinks vehicles are something for you to blow up, not use.

I'm not going to speak for OP, but what I have noticed is that the more abilities a player is given on foot, the more likely they are to try and lonewolf it, and take ways that keep them out of the paths made for vehicle combat, and pick off vehicles with precision weapons (Iv'e done it plenty) from safety. That coupled with the ability of everyone to sprint, charge, thrust, jump between cover, has made vehicle play almost seem like a afterthought in the sandbox, regardless of how many "skins" each vehicle gets. They all seem like they are just a box filled on a spreadsheet and peppered with lore, specifically designed to fit the loot experience that Warzone thrives on. Hell even BTB seems like an after thought, and wasn't available in time to grab players attention.
I know what you mean as far a vehicle combat goes. Would of been cool to see a btb heavies return.

Yeah i feel thrust can go. The classic time your jump to get over the vehicle was the best. Also some splatter mechanics in H5 are wack. Especially when going for a splatter from behind. There have been multiple times i get sent flying.

Well, some new vehicles appeared with Halo 4, but they were mostly for theater (Mammoth, Lich). 343i doesn't seem to like vehicles. Halo 5's emphasis on tournament play means no vehicles. I'm thinking no one there knows anything about military vehicles (military anything, for that matter). Halo Wars is where the action is on that front. 343i thinks vehicles are something for you to blow up, not use.
Let's not forget the Pelican Gunship from H4. Something that the fans have been asking for for a while, has 4 seats, but like you said, it's left as a theater piece. 4 seats, 4 guns and it's essentially a giant taxi.

Let's not forget the Pelican Gunship from H4. Something that the fans have been asking for for a while, has 4 seats, but like you said, it's left as a theater piece. 4 seats, 4 guns and it's essentially a giant taxi.
Id like to see the old scout hog be brought back that can carry more then 2 players. Maybe 4-5 would be awesome. That would greatly increase the utility of the scout.
A few thoughts:
Open bodied vehicles like warthogs and mongeese should be weak, no worries here with light arms fire taking them down eventually. Mongeese are silly tough for a glorified ATV.
On a side note, there should be a vehicle somewhere in strength between a warthog and a tank.
How about the addition of a troop vehcile like an APC (armoured personnel carrier) that has light weapons but can move several players (more than a hog, but slower) in a large player game? Or a pelican...
A few thoughts:
Open bodied vehicles like warthogs and mongeese should be weak, no worries here with light arms fire taking them down eventually. Mongeese are silly tough for a glorified ATV.
On a side note, there should be a vehicle somewhere in strength between a warthog and a tank.
How about the addition of a troop vehcile like an APC (armoured personnel carrier) that has light weapons but can move several players (more than a hog, but slower) in a large player game? Or a pelican...
A warthog does not provide all that much cover. Anyone shooting at a warthog with small arms should be targeting the occupants, not the vehicle.

Generally speaking, you would be hard-pressed to find a military transport vehicle that carries more than four people if that vehicle is expected to move fast. There's an absolutely marvelous vehicle that only appears in Halo Wars called the Wolverine. There is an infantry support variant that has been described and pictured but has not appeared in any game.

As I said before, Halo Wars has all the best vehicles. They need to appear in the main series.

And 343i needs a few military types on their staff.
LoxtonA01 wrote:
I really feel like 343i should take some inspiration from the map design in Star Wars Battlefront II.
Each map (I know these are all scaled to the speed and what-not of the ingame characters) has sections of the map all the way through where it's perfect for vehicular play, and can give the vehicle user opportunity to rain down on infantry. But there are enough undulating areas with cover for infantry to totally avoid vehicles if they so wish.

But totally agree OP.
Have to sort of disagree with you. For space combat it was fine but for vehicle combat on ground it was awful due to kill boundaries everywhere in the air, then there's barely any room for exploration in SWB2. I'd suggest something more like Unreal 2004 since that had big maps, plenty of room to explore.
I agree. Vehicles used to be a critical part of map control. Now I only get on a warthog turret if I know I have a good driver, and if I know we are going to beat the other team anyways.

Vehicles can still turn the tide of battle no doubt, but they aren't the power houses that they used to be. A good player with a BR can rack up just as much if not more kills than a turret gunner
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2