Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Visual Cosmetic Toggle Options?

OP sliferZ smiter

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Hello everyone,

For Halo cosmetics, I see many arguments on wheather or not A or B is included in the franchise as a cosmetic option, and then the lore implications of said cosmetics. I feel that it is not fair to want to take away or force others to play it a certain way, and I believe a perfect fix could be implemented by the developers to help make both groups of players happy.

The visual toggle system that exists within Halo: The Master Chief Collection could simply be expanded upon for Halo: Infinite, and include the following for any / all cosmetics on the client side:

1. The option to turn the individual content piece off
  2. The option to substitute the selected item with the visuals of another
  3. The option to turn off a section or collection of cosmetics
These options could be configured even further, but the main point here is to give everybody what they want on the client side. No reason to force others to see what they would rather not see, and no reason to force others not to have the chance use whatever they would like to use. With this system I feel that it would settle many problems, I do not however know how complex of a system it would be to make these changes.

Thank you for your time, and please keep the discussion civil and within forum rules.
Hello everyone,

For Halo cosmetics, I see many arguments on wheather or not A or B is included in the franchise as a cosmetic option, and then the lore implications of said cosmetics. I feel that it is not fair to want to take away or force others to play it a certain way, and I believe a perfect fix could be implemented by the developers to help make both groups of players happy.

The visual toggle system that exists within Halo: The Master Chief Collection could simply be expanded upon for Halo: Infinite, and include the following for any / all cosmetics on the client side:

These options could be configured even further, but the main point here is to give everybody what they want on the client side. No reason to force others to see what they would rather not see, and no reason to force others not to have the chance use whatever they would like to use. With this system I feel that it would settle many problems, I do not however know how complex of a system it would be to make these changes.

Thank you for your time, and please keep the discussion civil and within forum rules.
They did mention that the options to turn off specific items is tricky and probably won't happen.
Plushhyyy wrote:
Hello everyone,

They did mention that the options to turn off specific items is tricky and probably won't happen.
Could you point me towards that piece of information confirming this?
Plushhyyy wrote:
Hello everyone,

Could you point me towards that piece of information confirming this?
i'll have to do some digging, but im sure i could find it.
To be honest, I’m exhausted with the number of times “just give people a switch to turn X off” is trotted out as a solution to people’s issues with… almost everything regarding Halo Infinite’s design.

At some point people have got to realize that not everything is gonna be something you can switch off, and some aspects of Halo Infinite won’t have a toggle switch. There has to be a line drawn where the game and its multiplayer are still by and large creative endeavor by a group of developers and not the devs going down a checklist of user requests/demands that turns the game’s creative vision into nothing a series of dropdown menus and toggles that players can turn off.
It being tricky to implement is a lie. There will not be a toggle because for a lot of people it's important to show off how cool they look and this will generate money.

There is a reason the big F2P titles have no official option to turn skins off. For DOTA 2 for example it's very easy to mod the skins away and set them to default but you are limited to offline play then.

MCC has a toggle for legacy reasons and no money is being made with the in-game cosmetics.
I want a toggle that'll make people stop asking for more toggles. Flexibility is good, but there comes a point where you have to accept that not every single aspect of a game is being designed purely with your preferences in mind, and you have to learn to be okay with that.
To be blunt, no. Infinite is a new game with its own identity. I understood the want for a toggle in MCC given those were legacy games that were already released. Infinite is brand new. 343 should stand by what they make. Not everything needs a toggle (outside of graphical settings) and I dont really care if people dislike some of the armors added. Some will. If seeing someone with it makes anyone mad, I think they have more personal issues to deal with.
Post Deleted by author.
GLNK1 wrote:
I want a toggle that'll make people stop asking for more toggles. Flexibility is good, but there comes a point where you have to accept that not every single aspect of a game is being designed purely with your preferences in mind, and you have to learn to be okay with that.
What part exactly of a more customizable experience hurts others in any way? I don't see the problem here, it makes both parties happy. I feel it is just as bad to say "Accept it" as it is to say "No you can't have that"
To be blunt, no. Infinite is a new game with its own identity. I understood the want for a toggle in MCC given those were legacy games that were already released. Infinite is brand new. 343 should stand by what they make. Not everything needs a toggle (outside of graphical settings) and I dont really care if people dislike some of the armors added. Some will. If seeing someone with it makes anyone mad, I think they have more personal issues to deal with.
If the same logic was used in what you said, it would frusterate folks the same way. My solution would solve both, and prevent the fights that we see where one likes an item, and another hates it.
I mean, I understand not liking some of the armors we'll be getting, but I don't feel like a 'toggle' button is necessary on the grounds of 'I don't like looking at the fracture armors, so let me get it out of my face with a flick of a switch'. There are people claiming the fracture armors are 'ruining the immersion', but the only place you can see them is in multiplayer and if that's where you source your lore friendliness, you're playing the wrong part of the game. Multiplayer has never been 100% lore friendly.

Since Halo 3 there has almost always been some armors that have been less than lore friendly from both 343 and Bungie. Point of it is, why do you care so much what someone else is wearing? You're not being forced to wear it or even obtain it, this isn't Fashion Frame (Warframe), you can show off what you're wearing, but at the end of the day you're not entering a contest. You're going to be shooting each other more than checking out their wear.

So I really don't see a need for a toggle, my opinion, take it as you will.
I mean, I understand not liking some of the armors we'll be getting, but I don't feel like a 'toggle' button is necessary on the grounds of 'I don't like looking at the fracture armors, so let me get it out of my face with a flick of a switch'. There are people claiming the fracture armors are 'ruining the immersion', but the only place you can see them is in multiplayer and if that's where you source your lore friendliness, you're playing the wrong part of the game. Multiplayer has never been 100% lore friendly.

Since Halo 3 there has almost always been some armors that have been less than lore friendly from both 343 and Bungie. Point of it is, why do you care so much what someone else is wearing? You're not being forced to wear it or even obtain it, this isn't Fashion Frame (Warframe), you can show off what you're wearing, but at the end of the day you're not entering a contest. You're going to be shooting each other more than checking out their wear.

My point is, why care so much about what other people are not seeing? if it doesn't effect you and how you customize your stuff, why worry and deny the feature that would get purists and others to relax and not have to see the meme tier stuff if they don't want to see it? There is a difference in what customizationmeans between different players, why is it a bad thing to give them the tools to custimize it further?

My point is, why care so much about what other people are not seeing? if it doesn't effect you and how you customize your stuff, why worry and deny the feature that would get purists and others to relax and not have to see the meme tier stuff if they don't want to see it? There is a difference in what customizationmeans between different players, why is it a bad thing to give them the tools to custimize it further?
Why demand a feature that is honestly not really needed because it doesn't break the game? I get it, not everyone likes the armors, but I'd rather them focus on more important things than making an on/off switch for armors because it's not to some people's liking. If they make something for it down the line, fine, but it's not that important at the moment, it doesn't stop you from playing the game unless you're really gonna go that route.

I'm not against the idea, I just don't think it's necessary and there are other more important things I think people might want them to focus on first.
If the same logic was used in what you said, it would frusterate folks the same way. My solution would solve both, and prevent the fights that we see where one likes an item, and another hates it.
Heres the thing, I dont care what someone sees. I care about 343 being pigeoned hold into always going "should we toggle this on or off". They should not need to do that. Infinite is a new game, all designs they make for it should be present. Whether people like them or not, they should be there and creating a toggle only gives the perception 343 will never commit to their ideas. As much as I appreciate them taking in feedback, I dont think they should be willing to bend over backwards for everything.

MCC makes sense, Infinite does not.
The games in the Master Chief Collection are pre-existing games that had their own aesthetic style for the period. Especially now that the 360 servers are being shut down and there will be no way to play the original games online, it was reasonable to ask for an option to preserve the legacy experience of those older games intact, with no modern additions. Not every new piece of content they tack on will be a good fit or to everyone's taste.

Infinite is a different kettle of fish. The game isn't even out yet. Its aesthetic style is still being defined and there is no pre-existing era of Infinite one can cite to make any claim as to what the game should look like.

That said, if people don't like the cosmetics, particularly the ones coming in future seasons, I could see a toggle limiting cosmetics to those in the base game/first season being a reasonable proposition.

But as has already been mentioned, MCC's monetisation is a very different prospect to Infinite's. The game is funded by sale of cosmetics. Those who pony up the cash will not be too thrilled if everyone else can just turn off their premium pixels.

They gave ground when it came to Halo CE and Halo 3, they may even add a toggle for Reach now that it is getting the Mythic helmets, but I do not see 343 making any concessions as far as Infinite goes.
GLNK1 wrote:
What part exactly of a more customizable experience hurts others in any way? I don't see the problem here, it makes both parties happy. I feel it is just as bad to say "Accept it" as it is to say "No you can't have that"
Toggles for older games I can competent understand- wanting to preserve that original experience.

However there’s comes a point where a line I’m the sand needs to be drawn. Halo Infinite is a new game, armour coatings, fracture armour, IFF etc. This is the game.

Literally having everything on a toggle just because you may not like seeing it is just kind of excessive. I don’t like how Hyabusa looks in Halo 3, am I asking for a toggle? No. It’s really not that big of a deal.
Is seeing someone else’s customisation option really that upsetting to you? If you’re getting inconvenienced by the way someone else looks you may want to reevaluate your priorities.

End of the day it’s a video game, just let people customise their character model and play the game. You can’t have your hand held and be sheltered away from every little detail in game.
I think there should be a toggle for the Fractures armors and armor effects, as they are not canon. but there should not be a toggle for every individual cosmetic as that would undermine player expression and undo the whole point of armor customization
To be honest, I’m exhausted with the number of times “just give people a switch to turn X off” is trotted out as a solution to people’s issues with… almost everything regarding Halo Infinite’s design.

At some point people have got to realize that not everything is gonna be something you can switch off, and some aspects of Halo Infinite won’t have a toggle switch. There has to be a line drawn where the game and its multiplayer are still by and large creative endeavor by a group of developers and not the devs going down a checklist of user requests/demands that turns the game’s creative vision into nothing a series of dropdown menus and toggles that players can turn off.
I think the issue most people are worried about is the effect long term monetization will have on the visual and artistic design. Just look at COD MW now... When it released it was universally praised for its modern/gritty aesthetic and how well it fit into the real world. Not even 6 months into launch however, it was flooded with over the top and ridiculous cosmetic items. Do you want Anime skins and tracers? Sure! Do you want WWII skins and tracers? Sure! Do you want sci-fi skins and tracers? Sure! Wee-boo? Sure!

I may be speaking for myself but Activision's complete LACK of control when it came to their approach to MTX with COD has me scared to death with what 343 will attempt 3 or even 6 months after launch. Even more so a year or two... Especially after what they just introduced to MCC in Season 8. Doesn't bode well.

I just want Halo to look like Halo. But I feel like in 2021 that is too much to ask anymore... especially when people just constantly shout "BuT iTs OnLy CoSmEtIcS".

Halo has an artistic and visual identity that ties it strongly to its lore. That needs to be honored and protected, and I definitely believe it can be done while also offering numerous customization opportunities. Devs just have to remain committed and not get lazy and allow everything.
Edit: Comment removed. Done arguing about this crap with people who don't care.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2