Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Warthog Gas tanks?

OP iitz ANONYMOUS

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Of all the craziness and zany aspects of the UNSC arsenal...you pick the hydrogen cans?

I personally don't see anything wrong with them. I like little details.
So in the future... you think theyre going to put FOUR cans of something that is 10x more flammable than gasoline on the back of a truck that is supposed to get shot at?

Also it doesnt look good
In the future do you think they will still be using NATO scaled ammunition and light vehicles with serious structural and design flaws like the Warthog? Completely exposed crew, exposed wheels, little to no armor?

You're arguing realistic details in a video game about humanity fighting alien religious zealots, space terminators, eldritch alien zombie horrors, and galactic superweapons while playing as a genetically and surgically augmented supersoldier...

And it not looking good is purely opinion. I like little details myself, and I always thought they were water containers, either for drinking or coolant for the engine.
Lt Ankia wrote:
Will 343 ever get rid of those? Doesnt make much sense to hang 4 hydrogen (extremely flammable) target spots on the back of your truck thats is knowingly going to get shot at.

Also doesnt look as clean as the original warthog.

Edit: The warthog does not run on water.
The Warthog features a Graf/Hauptman solar/saline actuator, which is capable of converting up to twelve liters of fresh, brackish or salt water into hydrogen on the fly. The warthog does run on water.. and those gas tanks on the back are filled with it. They would never explode.
Just a link to back up your argument. Always include links where you can. Although to be fair I think it's not exclusively water, some tanks could be straight up hydrogen.

Another thing to note is that Halo's vehicles have never been particularly practical.
  • The Scorpion is an abomination of a tank, which would be easily detectable and quickly bombarded. Also why is the engine that exposed?
  • The Mongoose is freakishly huge, to fit a Spartan.
  • The hornet. (the hornet).
  • Where are the life support systems on the pelican?!?!
  • Big spaceships are literally flying guns.
  • The Pillar of Autumn is literally held together by a bridge in Halo CE (Think about where Echo-419 tries to pick you up in the Warthog run).
  • Why does the Mantis even exist?
You get my point. Practicality < The rule of cool.
That link says twice that it runs on hydrogen
Also says water, that's why I said it runs on both.
Either way you still wouldn't put it in the back exposed in cans that tell enemies that its fuel. Even if they don't explode, you still need them to not have bullet holes so you can put fuel in the car.
Of all the craziness and zany aspects of the UNSC arsenal...you pick the hydrogen cans?

So in the future... you think theyre going to put FOUR cans of something that is 10x more flammable than gasoline on the back of a truck that is supposed to get shot at?

Also it doesnt look good
In the future do you think they will still be using NATO scaled ammunition and light vehicles with serious structural and design flaws like the Warthog? Completely exposed crew, exposed wheels, little to no armor?

You're arguing realistic details in a video game about humanity fighting alien religious zealots, space terminators, eldritch alien zombie horrors, and galactic superweapons while playing as a genetically and surgically augmented supersoldier...

And it not looking good is purely opinion. I like little details myself, and I always thought they were water containers, either for drinking or coolant for the engine.
You thought gas cans had water in them? Thats like looking at a bottle of water and thinking its gasoline.

And yeah majority of 343s aesthetic choices are lackluster. Like why does it need 4? Its just clutter just like their armors were cluttered. Halo stuff looks clean. AND NOT PLASTIC CLEAN which they also failed at.
Lt Ankia wrote:
Will 343 ever get rid of those? Doesnt make much sense to hang 4 hydrogen (extremely flammable) target spots on the back of your truck thats is knowingly going to get shot at.

Also doesnt look as clean as the original warthog.

Edit: The warthog does not run on water.
The Warthog features a Graf/Hauptman solar/saline actuator, which is capable of converting up to twelve liters of fresh, brackish or salt water into hydrogen on the fly. The warthog does run on water.. and those gas tanks on the back are filled with it. They would never explode.
You get my point. Practicality < The rule of cool.
You hit the nail on the head with that one. The Scorpion is cool, the Hornet is cool, the giant flying rifles are cool. If it's cool then it should be in Halo. We don't need too much realism in a game with advanced alien races that can traverse the entire galaxy using multidimensional space and weapons that shoot mini suns that melt armor and petrify the ground.

Sci-fi is all about ridiculous and cool technology that is rooted in real science. That means there's some science, but a lot of fiction. And that's why I love this genre. You wanna walk upright in a ship floating through vacuum? Boom... artificial gravity. You want to fly across the galaxy in a few weeks? Boom... slipspace. You want to be a giant green space virgin that kills aliens like it's going out of style? Boom... Master Chief.
You need to be a comedian

also it runs on both hydrogen and water.
They should turn those cans into a target for snipers. Like how the Ghost has that weak spot on the left side of the driver. It would be hard to hit, but it'll have explosive results.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
He’s talking about art style, not gameplay.

Also it doesnt look good
They should have been placed on the front corners of the gunners pad. That way they are protected by the roll cage from outside fire but still give easy access.
I personally like the gas tanks on the back. Think it looks cool. Especially since military hummers used to do the same thing back during the gulf war days.
You thought gas cans had water in them? Thats like looking at a bottle of water and thinking its gasoline.

And yeah majority of 343s aesthetic choices are lackluster.
But the Warthog doesn't use gasoline, so they wouldn't be gas cans. They're storage cans for liquid, and since the Warthog engine makes hydrogen fuel from water it's safe to assume there's water in there, and possibly potable drinking water at that.

Also visual-wise it's still an opinion. I like the added details myself...though the Spartan and Marine armors for 4 and 5 I did not care for at all. Especially the Marines.

And yeah majority of 343s aesthetic choices are lackluster.
But the Warthog doesn't use gasoline, so they wouldn't be gas cans. They're storage cans for liquid, and since the Warthog engine makes hydrogen fuel from water it's safe to assume there's water in there, and possibly potable drinking water at that.

Also visual-wise it's still an opinion. I like the added details myself...though the Spartan and Marine armors for 4 and 5 I did not care for at all. Especially the Marines.
Opinions matter. Opinions are why people complained about the demo. My opinion is that the gas cans look bad.
My understanding of the way the warthog works is that it separates hydrogen and oxygen from water. Then it recombines them in the internal combustion engine for explosive force resulting in water vapor for exhaust. That would mean those red cans on the back are full of water. Nice to know the UNSC is environmentally conscious while blowing up halo rings. ;-)

Oh, and I kinda like the red cans.
Theyre uneccesary clutter. Just like 343's attempted halo artstyle. If they're going back to classic they should use the classic hog.
I think the gas cans in the back was just meant to be a weak point to a warthog. Its not meant to mean anything besides for gameplay purposes. Like every vehicle has a weak point and I believe the gas tanks were the weak point of the warthog... but honestly I never shot it so its just speculation...
Listen those tanks are never going to be filled with hydrogen... you know why? At room temperature and under standard pressure conditions, hydrogen is a gas that is tasteless, odorless and colorless. Hydrogen can exist as a liquid under high pressure and an extremely low temperature of 20.28 kelvin (−252.87°C, −423.17 °F). But they wouldn't have a gas in those tanks ever!! The tanks on the back are filled with water! And only water...
Lt Ankia wrote:
Listen those tanks are never going to be filled with hydrogen... you know why? At room temperature and under standard pressure conditions, hydrogen is a gas that is tasteless, odorless and colorless. Hydrogen can exist as a liquid under high pressure and an extremely low temperature of 20.28 kelvin (−252.87°C, −423.17 °F). But they wouldn't have a gas in those tanks ever!! The tanks on the back are filled with water! And only water...
Hydrogen wouldnt be liquid enough to be poured into the gas tank once you pop the top off of the gas cans to pour it, it would just evaporate.
They should turn those cans into a target for snipers. Like how the Ghost has that weak spot on the left side of the driver. It would be hard to hit, but it'll have explosive results.
There filled with water brother. Nothing would explode
Lt Ankia wrote:
540 years into the future, could be flammable water. You just never know.
Lt Ankia wrote:
Flammable water would have to have oil in it and the warthog runs on water so i just want to point out that that is debunked as oil would ruin the water quality for fuel.
Lt Ankia wrote:
Flammable water would have to have oil in it and the warthog runs on water so i just want to point out that that is debunked as oil would ruin the water quality for fuel.
You ever hear of a joke before?
Lt Ankia wrote:
Yeah how does he know the science of 2560?
Lt Ankia wrote:
Yeah how does he know the science of 2560?
Im not the kinda guy that jokes around I just get right into business.
At first I thought this was going to be about having to find gas for your warthog in the campaign, but I guess not.

If you could shoot the gas tanks to make them deal damage to the vehicle in MP, that would be awesome (of course you would have to make them smaller and have only 1 or 2).
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2