OP Hella Hot Trash

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5
I have nothing against Locke, but I wanna play halo games where the master chief is the focus. Halo 5's campaign had so many issues. It felt much more linear than past halo games, AI Squad teammates - puke, prometheans... and Locke didn't really add anything from a story perspective. Yeah he has a deep voice and has some good lines, but he behaves like an absolute school boy (never breaks rules or ever steps out of line), which in my opinion makes him completely uninteresting.
After replaying Halo 5's campaign and watching the campaign's cutscenes multiple times, I still don't understand how Locke nor his fireteam should be prioritise more than Chief - who has been the main character of all the mainline Halo games since Combat Evolved.
Locke is a really good character. He has a lot of great dialogue and character traits. I really enjoyed his voice acting and his missions were awesome too.
How is he a good character though? He just seems to be another soldier following orders
Why is that necessarily a bad thing? The Master Chief was objectively in the wrong for going AWOL in pursuit of Cortana and a start a consequence very nearly got captured. I say nearly because it was Locke following his orders that resulted in his and Blue Team’s rescue.
A good decision by a one note character
I don't mind Locke, but if he is in the game at all, hopefully he will have better character development than H5 cursed him with
After replaying Halo 5's campaign and watching the campaign's cutscenes multiple times, I still don't understand how Locke nor his fireteam should be prioritise more than Chief - who has been the main character of all the mainline Halo games since Combat Evolved.
Locke is a really good character. He has a lot of great dialogue and character traits. I really enjoyed his voice acting and his missions were awesome too.
How is he a good character though? He just seems to be another soldier following orders
Why is that necessarily a bad thing? The Master Chief was objectively in the wrong for going AWOL in pursuit of Cortana and a start a consequence very nearly got captured. I say nearly because it was Locke following his orders that resulted in his and Blue Team’s rescue.
I don't think that's exactly accurate. If he were truly one-note, he would have put a bullet between Chief's eyes when next encountering him on Genesis. The intel that came with the limited edition of Halo 5 has Locke's orders by ONI included. Of particular note is that he was to use lethal force if his target proved uncooperative. Chief made it abundantly clear he would not cooperate on Meridian. Locke held no animosity and decided to help rather than continue his pursuit of Chief when he finally caught up with Blue team.
Locke shows that he's a career soldier, but willing to be adaptable and forgo prior orders if the need arises. He's also quite diplomatic as clearly shown with Sloan, Arbiter, and finally Chief.
tL Armada wrote:
I don't think that's exactly accurate. If he were truly one-note, he would have put a bullet between Chief's eyes when next encountering him on Genesis. The intel that came with the limited edition of Halo 5 has Locke's orders by ONI included. Of particular note is that he was to use lethal force if his target proved uncooperative. Chief made it abundantly clear he would not cooperate on Meridian. Locke held no animosity and decided to help rather than continue his pursuit of Chief when he finally caught up with Blue team.
Locke shows that he's a career soldier, but willing to be adaptable and forgo prior orders if the need arises. He's also quite diplomatic as clearly shown with Sloan, Arbiter, and finally Chief.
He has no personality and his team had 75 percent of the total halo 5 missions to develop and he barely did
tL Armada wrote:
He has no personality and his team had 75 percent of the total halo 5 missions to develop and he barely did
I wouldn't say he had no personality. He just didn't have a strong one. He's exactly what people were begging (or more accurately; demanding) for regarding Spartan-IVs for three years leading up to Halo 5. "Serious", "stoic", "professional" are three words that were repeated ad nauseam when describing what the S-IV's lacked. Locke is the embodiment of the calm, collected leader. The outcome of that personality, however, is that he'll seem rather bland. Jerome is the same way. Carter is the same way. Chief, in the first three games, was the same way.

I do agree that it is a shame that with such a predominately longer screen time, that Osiris wasn't given more in the way of development. There certainly are golden moments sprinkled throughout, but more could have been done.
tL Armada wrote:
tL Armada wrote:
I wouldn't say he had no personality. He just didn't have a strong one. He's exactly what people were begging (or more accurately; demanding) for regarding Spartan-IVs for three years leading up to Halo 5. "Serious", "stoic", "professional" are three words that were repeated ad nauseam when describing what the S-IV's lacked. Locke is the embodiment of the calm, collected leader. The outcome of that personality, however, is that he'll seem rather bland. Jerome is the same way. Carter is the same way. Chief, in the first three games, was the same way.

I do agree that it is a shame that with such a predominately longer screen time, that Osiris wasn't given more in the way of development. There certainly are golden moments sprinkled throughout, but more could have been done.
And that has been the bane of Halo 5's existence. Locke was an answer to a long repeated question by the community members who wanted a little more S-II in their S-IVs. Unfortunately, he and the rest of Osiris weren't as well fleshed out as the community wanted, save perhaps Buck.

It's an interesting lesson to be learned for any game developer. You should listen to your community if you want to stay relevant, but you can't please everyone. You even risk getting too far from a coherent story if you focus too much on every little thing that the fan base wants. You have to strike a balance that shows you are listening while simultaneously taking bold directions with the story. There have been so many threads discussing exactly what everyone wants in Halo Infinite, and I have contributed to several of them, but 343i can't realistically make a game that addresses all of those preferences.
tL Armada wrote:
tL Armada wrote:

Thorne was a spartan 4 that showed all the things you listed and nobody was demanding they have spartan 4s be more stoic or professional.People didnt like that they were that way,but they weren't asking for a new character to take over for the chief and only give blue team 3 out of 12 missions
tL Armada wrote:
tL Armada wrote:
Thorne was a spartan 4 that showed all the things you listed
Indeed. And people called him bland.

and nobody was demanding they have spartan 4s be more stoic or professional.
My man, there were more threads than I care to count from 2012 to 2015 (and truth be told, still to this day) that were always along the lines of "What happened to the good Spartans? Not these dude-bro jocks who lack the seriousness, stoicism, and professionalism that is to be expected of Spartans."

People didn't like that they were that way, but they weren't asking for a new character to take over for the chief and only give blue team 3 out of 12 missions
I understand that. I don't think anyone was saying that it should've been that way. Even if Locke was oozing with characterization, there would still be plenty of backlash. The number of missions given to Locke wasn't my point; it was specifically Locke's character. He not a great character, but he's more than what I see people give him credit for.
I don't
I like Locke,but calling him one of the best ever is a humongous stretch.
A secondary role in Infinite is ideal.Or hell,just give him a spin off.
Quote:
In fact, he may be one of the best characters ever put in a game period
Johnson & Arbiter would like to have a word with you..
Spoiler:
Show
Locke is a mostly monotone, expressionless drone who you could swap out for Generic Space Marine #1929502 and not lose anything.

Which I mean, hey, so was Chief... but he was built on that premise. Locke wasn't. There's a reason we never see Chief's face, all of his emotive moments are done with artistic subtlety. Locke might as well not even have a face, because it never moves.
More of Locke is the last thing I want in Halo Infinite, I got enough of him in Halo 5. I don't think he was a great character either, generic space marine comes to mind, as mentioned by TeeJaY ChArMs. I think the best new Halo character is 031 Exuberant, she was whacky, funny and oozed personality imo. I would have more 031 Exuberant over Locke any day.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
No they said for halo infinite its all going to be about MasterCheif
If they want to be successful with the Halo franchise they're going to make it all about Chief in the campaign. The art style looks like it's going in the direction of familiarity too so that's a good sign. Maybe we might actually get the classic mp too. That's a long shot I know, but what do they have to lose at this point.
I have one word. Nah.
Spartan Locke was one of the best characters to ever be introduced to the franchise. In fact, he may be one of the best characters ever put in a game period. I'm really hoping they include more missions with Locke in Infinite. Who's with me?
You sir, just started a war........
Spoiler:
Show
Spartan Locke was one of the best characters to ever be introduced to the franchise. In fact, he may be one of the best characters ever put in a game period. I'm really hoping they include more missions with Locke in Infinite. Who's with me?
Sarcasm.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5