We want more info on "armor coating".

OP Zakspeeeed

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 35
What you guys at 343 have provided in terms of information on this feature isn't enough. You have got to come out and say how this system is going to work. All you've done is beat around the bush.

"a “coating" is “a seven-layer shader that allows us to put any artist-authored color, material, or pattern into seven channels and apply it to in-game items like weapons, armor, and vehicles.”" Well no kidding. We want to know how we get new colors.

• Do we start out with a certain amount of colors?
  • Can we mix and match armor coatings?
  • Can we create our own armor coatings?
  • How do we get new armor coatings?
These are the questions we want to know. If we can mix and match and players have a good amount of colors to start out with (like 30-40), no one will have a problem with this new system. Then maybe we can stick to these cool sets with pre-determined shades like Red Shift which has a bunch of different colors going on while also being able to create our own patterns.

Please tell us.

This post has been hidden.

"A delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Keep it civil, and respect everyone here. Forum rules are in full effect (as always). If you feel heated about this, come back to it to share your opinion when you're calm.

The former thread for this was located at https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/29568daf8cd14083bd1b70a810bf3581/topics/armor-color-customization-in-big-jeopardy/26843d6e-d2c3-48fb-8c24-5cf8c28c5f77/posts and the comments are still there for perusal.

This post has been hidden.

Literally everything has been undone in a blink of an eye
So the main thread was locked then redirected to another locked thread (this thread) because previous thread was redirected to the original locked thread. now redirected thread has been unlocked so im reposting to keep the discussion going on this new locked/unlocked thread.

Just a theory but if you "read between the lines" I think it may have some merit to it:With the armor coating scandal out of the bag, I saw a few posts on whether this could implicate the removal of the traditional Red v Blue teams. Now from my understanding of Destiny 2, multiplayer for that game is kept with whatever custom armor you choose across the board. Now with these armor coatings being closely similar to the Destiny shader system, I think it would only be fair to say this might possibly be the end of Red v Blue teams as well and here is why.

-343i latest update to the community said that these armor coatings are in fact replacing the traditional color your Spartan method
-It has been proposed/brought up that you should be able to color your spartans based on the specific armor coating however since the marketing and layout of these are pretty much guaranteed; i came to the conclusion that if you "cant" choose your colors then the color system would be out of the window. IF the color system is out of the window and you cannot change the color of Armor Coatings then there wouldnt be an option in the game to do so THEREFORE if the option isnt there then 343i wouldnt have the ability to take armor coatings and make them into the traditional Red v Blue for team matchups (IE throwing red or blue over top of the coating to represent the team in team games). This would then fall in line with the theory of copying what Destiny has done with its multiplayer system. Hate to say it folks but the logic is there and pretty easy to follow...we might be saying RIP to the Red v Blue teams as well as personalizing Spartan color choices.
To copypasta my post from a different thread since this is now the one:
Really seems like steps backwards. Considering the red shift coating is titled exactly that, and the azure vehicle coating too, there's going to have to be a separate coating for every applicable color under the sun, or for some coating styles "you can have in in any color you want... as long as its black". IMO coatings would do more for player customization if they were a blueprint for the material texture/type and color spread. So coatings would determine whether your armor looks smooth or matte, plastic or metallic, pristine or weathered and using red shift as an example whichever color you'd want primarily for the legs, the color for the torso, head, and shoulders, and inner legs, and lastly the color of the forearms, codpiece, and helmet chin.

In fact red shift is already close to the kind of thing we already have in reach. And as for coatings like monarch, we can already set primary and secondary(and tertiary in 3) to the same color.
Zakspeeeed wrote:
What you guys at 343 have provided in terms of information on this feature isn't enough. You have got to come out and say how this system is going to work. All you've done is beat around the bush.

"a “coating" is “a seven-layer shader that allows us to put any artist-authored color, material, or pattern into seven channels and apply it to in-game items like weapons, armor, and vehicles.”" Well no kidding. We want to know how we get new colors.

• Do we start out with a certain amount of colors?
  • Can we mix and match armor coatings?
  • Can we create our own armor coatings?
These are the questions we want to know. If we can mix and match and players have a good amount of colors to start out with (like 30-40), no one will have a problem with this new system. Then maybe we can stick to these cool sets with pre-determined shades like Red Shift which has a bunch of different colors going on while also being able to create our own patterns.

Please tell us.
Based on the trickle flow of information, I would assume everyone is going to remain tight-lipped about pretty much everything. We may get more information on November 9th as more and more Xbox accounts across the globe are sighting an Xbox Event. This has been linked to a leak which apparently had the event schedule on it.
Locking the other thread still feels especially shadey, like their hoping it'll cut down on the size of the complaints.
In fact red shift is already close to the kind of thing we already have in reach. And as for coatings like monarch, we can already set primary and secondary(and tertiary in 3) to the same color.
Monarch literally being just purple gives a really grim indicator of what this is going to be. Red shift definitely resembles Reach (heck one i even use in reach), but Monarch looks like what should be a base game color choice in Halo:CE. It should be the kind of thing thats baseline or a simple unlock in the game, not some promotional garbage.
I hope with the upcoming multiplayer reveal we can get some more information about this customization system. It's hard to understand anything about it without seeing how it would function in-game. My hope is that not every single coating will cost money, and that most will be attainable through experience, completing challenges, or some in-game currency. My worry is that the base game starts with one "standard coating" and aside from all the promotional content, day-one multiplayer spartans will all look the exact same, with no color variation or armor pieces to choose from. I get that hyper-fixating on the cosmetics of the game shouldn't be the number-one priority, but the reality is that 343 has given us so little content to digest and discuss that this is the first real piece of news we've had about gameplay in months. I just hope they explain it further before some hardcore fans have already drawn their own conclusions about what this multiplayer experience is going to be, and decide they don't like it.
Zakspeeeed wrote:
the quote from the news is bit self explanatory as we are going to be able to earn them in-game as well as doing specific missions or achievements to earn others.

Quote:
rest assured the team has a lot of customization content planned including items that will be earned in-game and some that will be earned as special rewards (i.e. the Halo 5 152 legacy reward we’ve mentioned in the past).
to reiterate what I've said in previous post's is I'm not that bothered by the change i believe the community is again making a mountain out of a mole hill before they've seen the entire picture. I'd hope the full style they go for would be something along the lines of armour customisation that anthem went through by for example having various states of the armour + having the pattern and coating schemes (one can hope since anthem was a bust.)
Locking the other thread still feels especially shadey, like their hoping it'll cut down on the size of the complaints.
There's been something of a coordinated effort to contain the backlash, both here, and on other platforms.
Those engaging in it should be ashamed of themselves (but aren't)
Zakspeeeed wrote:
the quote from the news is bit self explanatory as we are going to be able to earn them in-game as well as doing specific missions or achievements to earn others.

Quote:
rest assured the team has a lot of customization content planned including items that will be earned in-game and some that will be earned as special rewards (i.e. the Halo 5 152 legacy reward we’ve mentioned in the past).
The fact that 'solid purple' is locked behind a promotional thing makes me worry what will be available in game.
Cobra J24 wrote:
I can actually see them removing red vs blue for teams. I mean, I don't like it, but it will be interesting to see how the coatings will work with teams...
But it makes sense to have one colour per team not only lore wise, which 343I have said they're all about remember but even just as teams go. You don't watch or play any type of team sport and everyone in the team is wearing a different uniform outfit jersey whatever...even in war they don't do this.

Lore wise, 343 have said the multiplayer maps are holographic simulations that a Spartans train in. So having one team one color and another team another color makes sense there as well... But I'm sure 343 will change that to fit whatever they want to do just like they tried to do with the ADS style zooming animation being added in Halo 5.

I don't know, if they get rid of the whole red versus blue, I think they're destroying a huge thing of Halo lore, legacy and everything that's come with it since CE.

Quellyford wrote:
Snip
Snip
I think it's also worth acknowledging that yes, we have been given very little information to go on about this new coating system and how it will function in-game. But the reason so many people have been focusing on this and have been upset is because this is the ONLY official news we've gotten in months about in-game features. The only reason they've explained the system in the first place is because of leaked images from a marketing campaign to get people to buy snack food. So in combination with giving us our first piece of real news in a long time and the sudden reveal that a customization feature that has always been in the game is suddenly gone without fully explaining how this new system works? What are Halo fans supposed to do with this information? Should we just sit on it for another few months and hope that we got it completely wrong? Maybe if 343 actually gave us an in-depth explanation on this system, and showed in game shots or footage of using the different coatings on armor and vehicles, then we could fully understand how it will replace the old two-tone color customization. But all they've given us is another 2 coatings to look at, and told us that this is what is replacing color customization. Fans have a right to be upset, and if the only news we get is about a controversial cosmetic micro-transaction system, you bet we will be upset.
I agree sort of. I think even if 343 had released a lot of news that a lot of people would still be not happy about this.... But that leads to my bigger question of well why haven't 343 released basically any news about the new Halo game?

It's not like it's years away or anything like this. Personally, I think it's because they are drastically changing so much in the new Halo game because it's free to play (I'm talking multiplayer only here obviously) And they know it's going to upset a good chunk of their fan base especially the original fans that they are waiting as long as possible to reveal information because they don't want months and months of negative press. Just honestly think about it for a second or two. What other explanation could there be for them to be this silent about their game. I understand them not wanting to show game play footage especially right now but there's so many things they could show or talk about still. I don't know what other explanation there can be.

I also don't understand the logic of, In this case 343I talking a little bit about a system (color system in this case) that they KNEW would upset A LOT of people (They even said it in the weekly community post) and not come out to answer those questions or even better, go more in depth as to what they're thinking/doing in this area. All this is doing is giving them such negative press and pissing off their fans. I don't know who's running there marketing or whatever or who's idea it is to do this but they need to wake up!! (Wake up John, Wake up!!! LoL) In this thread alone on waypoint and not even in 12 hours, it's gone from a few pages to over 20!!! And that's just on here. Go look at other social media stuff and what people are saying... Here's a hint, It's not good lol

343 haven't earned the right from their fans for us to give them the benefit of the doubt I'm sorry to say so they need to be way more, emphasize WAY more transparent in what they're doing here and a lot of other things in general.

If anyone else has an explanation as to why they haven't released any more info or talked about things they're doing for multiplayer wise, please put it on here because I can't think of a good logical reason as to why they wouldn't because it's definitely not building up hype and it's definitely not giving them good press that's for sure lol 😆

(These replies are from posts from the other thread that just got locked. Thought I would put them on here)
There's been something of a coordinated effort to contain the backlash, both here, and on other platforms.
Those engaging in it should be ashamed of themselves (but aren't)
^ 100%. a specific individual decided to somewhat 'taunt' my reply for reporting something I experienced then asked if I had a problem to PM him so i did in which he continued his satiric nature. A real professional
Zakspeeeed wrote:
Obviously I can't say for certain, but looking at their description of it, and their mention of expecting backlash....I doubt we're going to have any control.

If we were getting 7 layers of customization under our control...they wouldn't be afraid of backlash for losing 2. Nore would the color purple be paywalled
For alot of players, Spartans have been a personal and sometimes sentimental representation of themselves, a coat of arms, with the color schemes and emblems carried over with every title holding personal meaning to some. Now, we're more or less just settling on a color scheme/pattern that "looks the best I guess...", hoping that the primary color, secondary color, and pattern scheme is something you can appreciate. It's not personal anymore. The fact that this is something 343 doesn't understand after years of criticism gives me serious doubts on the game as a whole.

Someone in 343's design team was hoping Halo players would accept this cosmetic approach in the same way a League of Legends or Fortnite player accepts champion and character skins, as broad, tailored, preset visuals made to be swapped out frequently depending on mood. That doesn't work with faceless characters who are supposed to be a reflection of the player themselves, especially when previous games in the series have already set a standard and direction for what to expect when it comes to in-depth cosmetic customization. Either 343 grossly misunderstood what people truly value in Spartan customization, or they pulled an EA and knew the community wouldn't like it and hoped the backlash would be quiet enough to just push on. Their wording in the post seems to point to the latter, and I'm now seeing alot of people say it could be "borderline impossible" to change anything because of locked-in corporate partnerships. What a disaster.

(Posted some comments of mine from the old thread)
That's not the intention, we just found that the original thread we redirected everyone to was written well before the recent update and was actually causing more confusion than helping.

If we wanted to cut down on the size of complaints we'd just delete posts, not lock them.
I truly hope we gain more insight into how these armour coatings work. I feel we still know next to nothing about there actually function.
(Note: This was copied and pasted from the locked armor color customization post)

I am disappointed in 343. I loved how Halo 5 had so many color choices, and all those toys showed how you can customize specific color zones. I feel like armor coatings are gonna be VERY disappointing. I don't mind vehicle and gun coatings, but having to unlock color SETS is stupid. I hope 343 does what Halo Online did and have preset colors and a color wheel so we can choose what we want. I really hope armor coatings become a thing where it's like the dye system in Terraria where you can tint your armor in a different tone. For example, my 2 main color schemes (blue and gold/white and red) plus a flame-like coating can create a cool effect on your armor using your color scheme. So basically that means if you get a cool armor coating, you can make your spartan have a yellow and orange gradient on your green armor.
This is an example of how armor coatings should work. It adds a tint of whatever color you have as your coating.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/terraria_gamepedia/images/a/ab/Red_Dye_%28equipped%29.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/26?cb=20200216201833

I also want an option to select areas of your spartan to change the colors of, for asymmetric armor coloring.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 35