Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

We want more info on "armor coating".

OP Zakspeeeed

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 8
  4. 9
  5. 10
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. ...
  9. 35
3 steps forward, 43 steps back. As always. You can't take something away from us, that helped us make our Spartans more unique, i know the argument "Why does it matter we're red or blue most of the time anyway" What about FFA? Firefight, Customs or just simply looking at your Spartan in the menu? You're ripping away our choice of individuality in favor of premade skins, like this game is Fortnite or something equally as marketed to get children to steal their parents credit card. The lies, I've seen on Twitter "There will be no micro-transactions, or in game currency" Then saying "Of course we will have purchasable exclusives" In the same paragraph. Liars, greedy liars. And it's not all Microsoft's fault, stop giving 343 the benefit of the doubt. Microsoft have to send wranglers to sort 343 out all the time because they're so incompetent. They have taken a free feature that has been with you since 2001 they have stripped it away, gave it a poor makeover and name change, and now intend to sell it back to you via marketing campaigns with junk food and preorder bonus's and nerf guns. Honestly, people need to keep up the pressure, no matter how entitled or ungrateful 343 or their blind fanboys say you're being. They need to be held accountable for this.
summon wrote:
Freedom is better than external curation, no matter the dept of the options involved.

We don't care that a 343 artist has a lot of new options, that's not better than our classic 2.5 armor color options - because freedom supersedes external curation.
But what freedom? Seriously, do you guys see something that I don't? In both categories you can only pick ONE color. Right now if I go to my colors in my each category I can only pick either Red, Blue, White, etc, I can't combine them all. So again, what freedom?
When we go to the armor screen

And click on the primary/secondary color options

Our ability to choose what we want, is Player Freedom

When you have a 'Coating', or Destiny's Shaders, the shell game redefines freedom as choosing which coating/shader we want, but the combination is no longer our choice

No offense, buddy, but this is very simple.
znazanz777 wrote:
sniper945 wrote:
znazanz777 wrote:
sniper945 wrote:
znazanz777 wrote:
This is an example of a system that would have been an objective improvement over Reach-level customization:

https://old.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/jgptvd/with_infinites_coating_system_something_like_this/
I saw this, I love it too. I really would hope they'd leave behind the windows theme though lol
This is a better version:
https://old.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/jhbs4v/343_are_being_ridiculous_and_completely/
If Infinite was made by 2007 Bungie, this is exactly how it would be.
If Infinite was made by 2020 Bungie, we'd be in an even worse spot than we are now
How so?
znazanz777 wrote:
sniper945 wrote:
znazanz777 wrote:
sniper945 wrote:
znazanz777 wrote:
This is an example of a system that would have been an objective improvement over Reach-level customization:

https://old.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/jgptvd/with_infinites_coating_system_something_like_this/
I saw this, I love it too. I really would hope they'd leave behind the windows theme though lol
This is a better version:
https://old.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/jhbs4v/343_are_being_ridiculous_and_completely/
If Infinite was made by 2007 Bungie, this is exactly how it would be.
If Infinite was made by 2020 Bungie, we'd be in an even worse spot than we are now
How so?
2020 Bungie is not the same as 2007 Bungie. I'm hearing stuff from the Destiny 2 community that makes me believe that a Halo game made by 2020 Bungie would be a huge mistake.
When we go to the armor screen

And click on the primary/secondary color options

Our ability to choose what we want, is Player Freedom

When you have a 'Coating', or Destiny's Shaders, the shell game redefines freedom as choosing which coating/shader we want, but the combination is no longer our choice

No offense, buddy, but this is very simple.
I still don't see freedom. I see a restricted, barely functional customization system that shouldn't even be labeled under customization because it's not customization. That's like going to a car wrap place and they only give you like 5 colors to choose from but they talk about how you can customize your car. That's not what customizing is, but ok.
summon wrote:
When we go to the armor screen

And click on the primary/secondary color options

Our ability to choose what we want, is Player Freedom

When you have a 'Coating', or Destiny's Shaders, the shell game redefines freedom as choosing which coating/shader we want, but the combination is no longer our choice

No offense, buddy, but this is very simple.
I still don't see freedom. I see a restricted, barely functional customization system that shouldn't even be labeled under customization because it's not customization. That's like going to a car wrap place and they only give you like 5 colors to choose from but they talk about how you can customize your car. That's not what customizing is, but ok.
When have your base armor

And then you see a list of colors, even if it's literally three options

You *custom* apply the color of your choosing.

Custom-ize. Customize. Player curated.

Now if you're trying to make a meta-argument that Bungie and 343 curated the available colors of the old system and therefore; the freedom was itself illusionary - that makes this new system even *more* restrictive by *your* logic, because we haven't even the 'illusionary' freedom you're trying to vilify.

You're doing something called a shell game, but the principle you're applying makes the matter even worse than it is. So either you don't understand the principles involved, or you're being contrarian for the sake of it.
JoeySTRIKE wrote:
I just want to know if we can make custom coatings or not alongside preset coatings. If this is the case, then I want to know if I can apply layers from multiple coatings into one custom coating.

Tbh I think a lot of people jumped the gun like crazy. We really need to just wait for more info.
Honestly I don’t blame people for this reaction, it’s a failure on 343’s part on elaborating. It seems like a massive PR mess up to just come out and kinda say “hey we know this will upset you, but we are taking away your choice in choosing what colors you are in lieu of you wearing designs we hand pick for you” without giving anymore info.
summon wrote:
When we go to the armor screen

And click on the primary/secondary color options

Our ability to choose what we want, is Player Freedom

When you have a 'Coating', or Destiny's Shaders, the shell game redefines freedom as choosing which coating/shader we want, but the combination is no longer our choice

No offense, buddy, but this is very simple.
I still don't see freedom. I see a restricted, barely functional customization system that shouldn't even be labeled under customization because it's not customization. That's like going to a car wrap place and they only give you like 5 colors to choose from but they talk about how you can customize your car. That's not what customizing is, but ok.
Color Customization:
You get three slots and can match any color in any combination you like.

Coating:
You get pre-determined color combinations which are in a specific pattern over the suit. There is only picking the pre-determined color combination, no picking and combining.
Remember how emblems used to work in the color department?

Customization options have been reduced in favor of set patterns and color combinations.
The only positive with Coats is that paint is now put in different places on the armor, but that's the only thing about them which is positive.
There's also a lot you can do with just colors even if everyone have them in the exact same places on their armor.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, different armor pieces had different locations as to where their secondary color was painted.

Armor customization in context with Halo is choosing armor pieces and colors.
So when color picking in Halo is discussed it is regarded as customization because it is a part of it.
As such, customization has been made more limited with coats.
Delta5931 wrote:
znazanz777 wrote:
sniper945 wrote:
znazanz777 wrote:
sniper945 wrote:
znazanz777 wrote:
This is an example of a system that would have been an objective improvement over Reach-level customization:

https://old.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/jgptvd/with_infinites_coating_system_something_like_this/
I saw this, I love it too. I really would hope they'd leave behind the windows theme though lol
This is a better version:
https://old.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/jhbs4v/343_are_being_ridiculous_and_completely/
If Infinite was made by 2007 Bungie, this is exactly how it would be.
If Infinite was made by 2020 Bungie, we'd be in an even worse spot than we are now
How so?
2020 Bungie is not the same as 2007 Bungie. I'm hearing stuff from the Destiny 2 community that makes me believe that a Halo game made by 2020 Bungie would be a huge mistake.
What I'm asking is how Infinite would be in even worse shape with 2020 Bungie at the wheel.
When have your base armor

And then you see a list of colors, even if it's literally three options

You *custom* apply the color of your choosing.

Custom-ize. Customize. Player curated.

Now if you're trying to make a meta-argument that Bungie and 343 curated the available colors of the old system and therefore; the freedom was itself illusionary - that makes this new system even *more* restrictive by *your* logic, because we haven't even the 'illusionary' freedom you're trying to vilify.

You're doing something called a shell game, but the principle you're applying makes the matter even worse than it is. So either you don't understand the principles involved, or you're being contrarian for the sake of it.
Lol for like 3 comments now you've missed my point entirely. The new Coatings system will offer a mix of colors in a single Coating. Even if like I said in my original comment that we can't do per-piece coating, and we can only do one single coating for our ENTIRE character, that single coating is better than the current Primary/Secondary system because the coating offers a mix of colors. Even if the coating only offers 1 more extra color, that's still better, that's still 1 more color we never could use.
Delta5931 wrote:
znazanz777 wrote:
sniper945 wrote:
znazanz777 wrote:
sniper945 wrote:
znazanz777 wrote:
This is an example of a system that would have been an objective improvement over Reach-level customization:

https://old.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/jgptvd/with_infinites_coating_system_something_like_this/
I saw this, I love it too. I really would hope they'd leave behind the windows theme though lol
This is a better version:
https://old.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/jhbs4v/343_are_being_ridiculous_and_completely/
If Infinite was made by 2007 Bungie, this is exactly how it would be.
If Infinite was made by 2020 Bungie, we'd be in an even worse spot than we are now
How so?
2020 Bungie is not the same as 2007 Bungie. I'm hearing stuff from the Destiny 2 community that makes me believe that a Halo game made by 2020 Bungie would be a huge mistake.
What I'm asking is how Infinite would be in even worse shape with 2020 Bungie at the wheel.
If the last decade of AAA culture is any indication it can always get worse. Always, no matter what.
Naqser wrote:
Color Customization:
You get three slots and can match any color in any combination you like.

Coating:
You get pre-determined color combinations which are in a specific pattern over the suit. There is only picking the pre-determined color combination, no picking and combining.
Remember how emblems used to work in the color department?

Customization options have been reduced in favor of set patterns and color combinations.
The only positive with Coats is that paint is now put in different places on the armor, but that's the only thing about them which is positive.
There's also a lot you can do with just colors even if everyone have them in the exact same places on their armor.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, different armor pieces had different locations as to where their secondary color was painted.

Armor customization in context with Halo is choosing armor pieces and colors.
So when color picking in Halo is discussed it is regarded as customization because it is a part of it.
As such, customization has been made more limited with coats.
The new Coatings system will offer a mix of colors in a single Coating. Even if like I said in my original comment that we can't do per-piece coating, and we can only do one single coating for our ENTIRE character, that single coating is better than the current Primary/Secondary system because the coating offers a mix of colors. Even if the coating only offers 1 more extra color, that's still better, that's still 1 more color we never could use. The current system is BORING. There is no mixing and matching. I can do Blue as my Primary and White as my Secondary, holy -Yoink- that's so revolutionary!!!! Lol. The current system is BORING.
summon wrote:
When have your base armor

And then you see a list of colors, even if it's literally three options

You *custom* apply the color of your choosing.

Custom-ize. Customize. Player curated.

Now if you're trying to make a meta-argument that Bungie and 343 curated the available colors of the old system and therefore; the freedom was itself illusionary - that makes this new system even *more* restrictive by *your* logic, because we haven't even the 'illusionary' freedom you're trying to vilify.

You're doing something called a shell game, but the principle you're applying makes the matter even worse than it is. So either you don't understand the principles involved, or you're being contrarian for the sake of it.
Lol for like 3 comments now you've missed my point entirely. The new Coatings system will offer a mix of colors in a single Coating. Even if like I said in my original comment that we can't do per-piece coating, and we can only do one single coating for our ENTIRE character, that single coating is better than the current Primary/Secondary system because the coating offers a mix of colors. Even if the coating only offers 1 more extra color, that's still better, that's still 1 more color we never could use.
Okay:

If I choose the first revealed "Monarch" coating...

...Do I have the freedom to change the primary color red? Say I like the material but I want red - can I make it red?

If yes, provide evidence for this via a quote from 343.

If not, articulate how that restriction is equivocal to literally being able to choose from H1 to MCC.

Answer first and either follow-up, please.
summon wrote:
When have your base armor

And then you see a list of colors, even if it's literally three options

You *custom* apply the color of your choosing.

Custom-ize. Customize. Player curated.

Now if you're trying to make a meta-argument that Bungie and 343 curated the available colors of the old system and therefore; the freedom was itself illusionary - that makes this new system even *more* restrictive by *your* logic, because we haven't even the 'illusionary' freedom you're trying to vilify.

You're doing something called a shell game, but the principle you're applying makes the matter even worse than it is. So either you don't understand the principles involved, or you're being contrarian for the sake of it.
Lol for like 3 comments now you've missed my point entirely. The new Coatings system will offer a mix of colors in a single Coating. Even if like I said in my original comment that we can't do per-piece coating, and we can only do one single coating for our ENTIRE character, that single coating is better than the current Primary/Secondary system because the coating offers a mix of colors. Even if the coating only offers 1 more extra color, that's still better, that's still 1 more color we never could use.
Kalyx is right.

With armour coatings the colours are BAKED into the coating. Going by what 343 has said, you get to pick a coating and that IS IT. There is nothing more, and why is this worse than getting two colour options?

Simple, with the old system you could choose to be blue and yellow. With the new system? You have to hope that there is a coat that has blue and yellow.
summon wrote:
The new Coatings system will offer a mix of colors in a single Coating. Even if like I said in my original comment that we can't do per-piece coating, and we can only do one single coating for our ENTIRE character, that single coating is better than the current Primary/Secondary system because the coating offers a mix of colors.
I really don't think you worded that properly to get your point through.

You are already mixing colors, but to an extremely higher degree than i343 could ever do with pre-set coats.
Put in five different colors, and three color spaces and you've got 125 color combinations.
Six colors and it goes to 216, seven? 343 different color combinations.

summon wrote:
Even if the coating only offers 1 more extra color, that's still better, that's still 1 more color we never could use. The current system is BORING. There is no mixing and matching. I can do Blue as my Primary and White as my Secondary, holy -Yoink- that's so revolutionary!!!! Lol. The current system is BORING.
One extra color which is always going to be the exact same color isn't anything to cheer over. It's still reduction of choice.
But there is mixing and matching, I just gave you a link to a color chart along with color theory.
People were so happy with having their emblem color customization options reduced to pre-set choices at launch that i343 changed the whole system to be free choice on all colors, right?

Coating will be equally, if not more boring, because all you get is pre-set color schemes and placings some artist decided on. There is literally no personal mixing and matching.

Here's the thing though, deep down, I don't think people's gripe is with the Coating itself, but rathar that color choice is removed.
Picking a Pattern for your armor, and then decide which color each section is, there aren't many who'd have any issues with that.

As it is now though, seems out of those voicing their concern, there's more support for having the ability to pick colors over choosing coats.
What I want, personally, is a change. The current system will suck. There's no doubt in my mind about it. Choosing the colors for your Spartan is one of the most wonderful things in Halo! You can be your own Spartan! You can express yourself with your armor! Take that away and you take away the foundation of player identity.
I won't spew venom or hatred at 343 for this decision, but I will not support it. I hope that 343's management team sees this backlash and realizes that they need to reconsider this system. I want the best for Infinite, which is good because a lot of what they've shown has made me excited for this game! This system is not one of those things. I like the concept of the coatings, but if they will remove my choice to choose my colors... my choice to personalize my Spartan to make them my own... I will fight against them until 343 realizes that this is wrong!
So please 343, reconsider this system. Modify what you currently have. Change the armor coatings to allow for color choices!
-Sincerely, a concerned fan
Kalyx is right.

With armour coatings the colours are BAKED into the coating. Going by what 343 has said, you get to pick a coating and that IS IT. There is nothing more, and why is this worse than getting two colour options?

Simple, with the old system you could choose to be blue and yellow. With the new system? You have to hope that there is a coat that has blue and yellow.
With the new system there will be coatings that are blue, yellow and red, or blue, yellow and white, or really just any combination. Which is the point I have TRYING TO MAKE THIS ENTIRE TIME. We can have more colors with this system. Right now I can be blue and yellow, that's so boring, I don't want to be just 2 colors, I want multiple colors.

I'm so tired of arguing about this. This isn't even, or well it shouldn't even be, a big concern. What's a bigger concern to me is the F2P MP which will attract hackers. You guys do realize that if the game is overrun with hackers then all of this arguing about stupid colors LITERALLY MEANS NOTHING. They could revert back to the current system that everybody loves but that still LITERALLY MEANS NOTHING if hackers are gonna run around and ruin the game. I'm not getting his game until I know there will be some kind of GOOD anti-cheat, something other than EAC because EAC is garbage.
summon wrote:
Kalyx is right.

With armour coatings the colours are BAKED into the coating. Going by what 343 has said, you get to pick a coating and that IS IT. There is nothing more, and why is this worse than getting two colour options?

Simple, with the old system you could choose to be blue and yellow. With the new system? You have to hope that there is a coat that has blue and yellow.
With the new system there will be coatings that are blue, yellow and red, or blue, yellow and white, or really just any combination. Which is the point I have TRYING TO MAKE THIS ENTIRE TIME. We can have more colors with this system. Right now I can be blue and yellow, that's so boring, I don't want to be just 2 colors, I want multiple colors.
As has already been calculated, in order to even match the level of color customization in halo 5, there would need to be 3600 coatings. Heck, if they gave players actual control of having even a third color, it would be the equivalent of 216000 coatings.

Its highly unlikely 343 is going to go through and individually make that many coatings for everything, and even if they do, we may have to jump through some marketing hoops to get them. More color options is GOOD, but having those color options locked behind presets is BAD. Heck, if they actually make all 216000 coatings, just scrolling through them to find the one you want would be a chore.
As has already been calculated, in order to even match the level of color customization in halo 5, there would need to be 3600 coatings. Heck, if they gave players actual control of having even a third color, it would be the equivalent of 216000 coatings.

Its highly unlikely 343 is going to go through and individually make that many coatings for everything, and even if they do, we may have to jump through some marketing hoops to get them. More color options is GOOD, but having those color options locked behind presets is BAD. Heck, if they actually make all 216000 coatings, just scrolling through them to find the one you want would be a chore.
Quote:
match the level of color customization in halo 5.
This community cracks me up. What level? What customization? I'm on the game RIGHT NOW, it has a GARBAGE customization system, as do literally every Halo game.
Delta5931 wrote:
znazanz777 wrote:
sniper945 wrote:
znazanz777 wrote:
sniper945 wrote:
znazanz777 wrote:
This is an example of a system that would have been an objective improvement over Reach-level customization:

https://old.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/jgptvd/with_infinites_coating_system_something_like_this/
I saw this, I love it too. I really would hope they'd leave behind the windows theme though lol
This is a better version:
https://old.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/jhbs4v/343_are_being_ridiculous_and_completely/
If Infinite was made by 2007 Bungie, this is exactly how it would be.
If Infinite was made by 2020 Bungie, we'd be in an even worse spot than we are now
How so?
2020 Bungie is not the same as 2007 Bungie. I'm hearing stuff from the Destiny 2 community that makes me believe that a Halo game made by 2020 Bungie would be a huge mistake.
What I'm asking is how Infinite would be in even worse shape with 2020 Bungie at the wheel.
At least 343i is 1 for 2 on good stories, Destiny 1 and 2 show Bungie is incapable at good storytelling in a game nowadays.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 8
  4. 9
  5. 10
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. ...
  9. 35