2. ...
  3. 13
  4. 14
  5. 15
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. ...
  9. 35
Just heard about this. After reading a few pages of this megathread, is the issue just that there may now be paid cosmetic shaders and not enough detail from the devs on how the acquisition and application system would work? If so, that is entirely normal for something like this (particularly regarding monetization of f2p multiplayer, which anyone up-to-date on current f2p games would know) and lack of impact on gunplay, story, performance specs, etc.
However, if this is about more than that: if this about community management, then it sounds like we were starved for info on a beloved game delayed at the 11th hour...then given a partial scrap of detail with radio silence afterwards.
Is that a correct assessment or did more developments emerge?
The main gripes a lot of us have with the armor coating system is the possibility of microtransactions from the system, a lack of clear information about what exactly Armor coatings are and how they work, and the restriction of color customization. In terms of the color customization gripe, I think Late Night Gaming's take on it is quite accurate to how we feel: Instead of expanding on the system that already exists and making it better(maybe more color variety with a color wheel? Per piece color customization, even color customization of specific areas on specific pieces? Allowing us to put textures on materials on different pieces of the armor where we wanted?), they uprooted that color system, giving us more variety in texture and materials but stripping away the freedoms of color choice. Instead of expanding on the system, they changed the system for something that came with a cost that shouldn't have.

That said, I do believe this topic is definitely apart of something bigger than just our gripes with this system. 343 has hardly given us information about this game for the five years its been in development, and with the game being several months away, they are relatively radio silent about what the game has to offer for us. We are starved of info about the game, and instead of responding to requests for more information, we are only met with deafening silence. What they did do was nice(Audio Recordings, trailers, gameplay premiere, occasional updates), but they should be doing more than just that. An 8 minute gameplay premiere provides us info, but not enough to say I would buy the game. Audio recordings are cool little teaser bits, but in reality they don't provide much of substance. Their trailers look great, but only serve to really hype us up while providing not much about the game. Their occasional updates have long since been vague and discreet, providing information, but far too little, not to mention that a fair bit of their rather major announcements have been met with controversy.

I frankly wouldn't be as bothered as I am about it now, not that I wouldn't be actively requesting more info, if you couldn't go out to a Best Buy store, or go to their website, and pre-order the game right now. That tells me 343 thinks they have the faith of the Halo community in their product, which they are incredibly mistaken to be believing.
In fact, the only reason we have gotten updates like these is because of information that was leaked through toys and product promotions. If there wasn't a promo for oreo cookies that showed a jpeg of the monarch coating as a reward, the community wouldn't have pushed to get more information about this coating system. 343 literally never would have told us anything about it and probably would have stayed silent until a couple months from release. We probably would have booted up the game expecting nothing to have changed and then had this revelation far too late. The outrage about the color system has exploded, not just because they removed a fundamental part of the game for almost two decades, and replaced it with a system that actively limits player expression compared to previous games. They also made this decision either without considering the ramifications of this choice or not caring. We have to wonder what else they have decided to remove and replace from the previous games. Imagine if next we found out there's no playable elites, but instead we can play as 5 different variants of "Craig." Sure it wouldn't break the game, but we would still be asking ourselves, "Who asked for this? Who thought it would be a good idea? Why did they have to change something that fans have come to expect as a standard?" It's almost a non-issue, but the fact that 343 hasn't been able to give us substantial answers to these questions is very frustrating. It's becoming more clear that the Halo community is not the audience that this game is being aimed towards, at least from the multiplayer side. That's what worries me the most.
People need to stop whining about halo infinite’s customization and gameplay, look at it this way, I don’t think (1)halo was ever meant to be about gameplay and customization, (2)it was about having fun. As an example there are games I don’t like, but I have fun playing them with friends. I don’t agree with removing primary, secondary color customization, but acting likes it’s the worst thing to happen in the gaming world, is a sad choice. Bringing our feedback to 343i is good, however getting angry and saying that 343i can’t do anything right, or other insults, is just wrong, also I’ve seen and heard that people saying threats!? Like what the heck people, it’s a game for sanity’s sake, if you don’t like the way it looks, that’s your opinion don’t take it out on the game company. After all the outrageous things people have said just because 343i’s games weren’t exact copies of bungie games, we should be happy 343i is even making halo games still. So, instead of complaining, try to enjoy the game first, and when there is something that isn’t necessarily good, make your feedback good and constructive instead of saying, “this choice is stupid change it”, because nothing’s gonna change with that attitude. As I said I don’t totally agree with removing the the old color system, but I’m still optimistic for infinite. I don’t like it when games monetize everything either. But good grief, acting like this is the end of the world is just stupid.
1. That’s just a foolish statement considering the time and effort into developing the story. Furthermore if customizations weren’t a part of Halo then why be able to change armors, colors, emblems, elite/Spartan, etc.? which brings me to

2. fortnite was developed to have fun...hence no story.

I can tell by your account that you haven’t been on the forums (or posted) much but as someone who has been here for a few years I can agree that these forums do turn into complaint fests and it can be quite toxic at times but people do in fact have a reason to be frustrated with 343i. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but tbh I think a larger amount of people would disagree with you then those coming to defend. good luck
People need to stop whining about halo infinite’s customization and gameplay, look at it this way, I don’t think halo was ever meant to be about gameplay and customization, it was about having fun.
Excuse me what does this frakking MEAN? A game not meant to be about Gameplay? Customization that's increased in every title from 2-Reach not a core aspect?

Are you serious?
Just heard about this. After reading a few pages of this megathread, is the issue just that there may now be paid cosmetic shaders and not enough detail from the devs on how the acquisition and application system would work? If so, that is entirely normal for something like this (particularly regarding monetization of f2p multiplayer, which anyone up-to-date on current f2p games would know) and lack of impact on gunplay, story, performance specs, etc.
However, if this is about more than that: if this about community management, then it sounds like we were starved for info on a beloved game delayed at the 11th hour...then given a partial scrap of detail with radio silence afterwards.
Bit of both...

The immediate issue here, is that it's been revealed (tucked away in the very bottom of a megapost community update) that the basic option of being able to pick the Primary, Secondary and Tertiary (and possibly even Visor) colours for your Spartan are being removed for the first time in what'll be 20 years when Infinite is supposed to launch next year, in favour of fixed unalterable shaders. For long time Halo fans who've been with the series for nearly if not 2 decades and have seen the endless removal of standard at launch modes and features at over the last 8 years in the 3 games 343 have developed, this is the absolute icing on the cake of having basic features stripped out in the name of monetization, even worse is that this very scenario was joked about when Halo 5 launched in the barebones state it was with the armour being locked behind lootboxes, bloated to the gills with filler.

The reason we're being sold this time is; "it's quicker and more convenient to create your Spartan this way". Because simply picking 2 colours out of 30 is too difficult and time consuming for us, according to the lead devs? The technical reason is because the shaders consist of 7 layers which are all baked. Now baking is actually standard for stuff like Normal maps, because if every little detailed crack and scratch in our armour was made of real polygons, good lord the strain that would create. But if every other Halo game has been able to handle base colour layers being picked independently by the player, why can't Infinite with its purpose built Slipspace Engine?

Now... somehow... there are people defending this, usually resorting to 1 of 3 fallbacks, which if your having to use a fallback to excuse something being taken away from you only to be sold back to you shows how much your willing to be abused as a consumer;

1. It's a Red vs Blue game we don't see our colours anyway.
There ARE other modes in Halo other than basic team games, an entire FFA section for starters, both Slayer and a list of Objective modes, Infection & other party games, Firefight, etc.

2. My colour scheme is basic, I'll be fine...
So you don't care if you're faced with the prospect of having to buy your preferred colour scheme you could wear for free in any other Halo game, so long as it exists, also, way to throw anyone whose colour scheme isn't implemented under the bus. Real #POSITIVE community. Besides, other than Purple & Gold, and Red, Black & White, we don't know what colour schemes will be in the game.

3. Do you want paid DLC like map packs and armour set bundles?
If the alternative is having basic features that have been in the game since the very first game in 2001 stripped out and in favour of a predatory and restrictive monetization scheme, yes.

---

Now when it comes to community engagement...

I'll admit, 2020 has thrown everyone off, even 343, but the problems come from before. 2018, we finally get the announcement & reveal + engine demo trailer, cool. Standard stuff we have our announcement. Following year, we get the Discover Hope trailer/cutscene and a release window of Holiday 2020, okay, we had as much info in that remaining time with Halo 3, but given this is the second trailer a year later, we were kind of expecting gameplay? Where's that at?

Finally, Summer 2020, with about 6 months to launch, we finally get some basic first level gameplay... and the tech side of things are not looking pretty... to the point it gets memed on. We're told that what we saw was a build from several months beforehand... okay, could they not show us a slightly more up to date build? After all, the gameplay demo was a single section, not a Halo 3 E3 07 style trailer from various points throughout the game. Then a few Halo Content Creators are told the build we saw was actually only a few weeks old couple days later. Right... so why were we initially told it was months old? Then after the memes have died down, a delay until sometime 2021 gets announced.

Go back to 2015; give it 2-3 years to create the engine, we're at 2018, cool. Two years later in 2020, all we get to see is a basic gameplay demo with some serious rough edges... If I myself were a multi-million dollar investor, I'm at the point were I'd want serious answers into what the hell is going on behind the scenes. Because as a fan I feel like I'm watching the buildup to the release of another Master Chief Collection.

And the horrifying part is, I'd get called a 343 hater for this mentality of wanting Halo to have the same level of care and quality it had in the late 2000's. Here's the thing, I loved Halo 4's story, multiplayer made the mistake of trying to stand in the shadow of CoD, but hey, first time outing. Then MCC happens, then Halo 5 happens. Then years later Halo MCC is coming to PC after the surge in popularity of something I'm not sure I'm allowed to discuss here, I was away in those days, and there was no way the XB1 version could be left in the condition it was in, especially when this was 343's opportunity to bring Halo to modern PC gamers... and that was executed brilliantly in the eyes of a very harsh critic, this was indeed them showing care for the Halo franchise, correcting their mistakes while ushering in a new era.

Mere days after Halo 4's flighting begins, the final stage of the MCC revival; "Yeah, in the next game we're taking out this staple basic feature that's been in every other Halo game since 2001 in favour of an obvious microtansaction model, but it's an RVB game so it's not like anyone was using it... RIGHT?"
People need to stop whining about halo infinite’s customization and gameplay, look at it this way, I don’t think halo was ever meant to be about gameplay and customization, it was about having fun. As an example there are games I don’t like, but I have fun playing them with friends.
Gameplay and customization is what's fun to a lot of people. If gameplay is lacking, or not just to someone's taste, they're not going to find it fun,
Sure, some games can be fun with the right party even if it's not something you'd normally play but would you really play it in the long run, and isn't then the game something you do like?

I don’t agree with removing primary, secondary color customization, but acting likes it’s the worst thing to happen in the gaming world, is a sad choice.
And someone is acting like it? Or would this perhaps be the first piece of information we get in a long time, and it's quite controversial?

Bringing our feedback to 343i is good, however getting angry and saying that 343i can’t do anything right, or other insults, is just wrong, also I’ve seen and heard that people saying threats!? Like what the heck people, it’s a game for sanity’s sake, if you don’t like the way it looks, that’s your opinion don’t take it out on the game company.
And non-constructive feedback is being handled like it should be.

After all the outrageous things people have said just because 343i’s games weren’t exact copies of bungie games, we should be happy 343i is even making halo games still.
Here's that Bungie again... and "exact copy".
From what I've gathered, the vast majority of people who aren't fond of i343's Halo don't want exact copies of Bungie's Halos, they just do not agree with the frantic trend chasing i343 has been doing which has in their opinion deviated Halo from the old gameplay style towards a generic overused gameplay trend.
There have, over the years, people who have said that it wouldn't really have mattered if Halo 3, or Reach, was the last Halo because i343's isn't up to par with their expectations.
Naqser wrote:
People need to stop whining about halo infinite’s customization and gameplay, look at it this way, I don’t think halo was ever meant to be about gameplay and customization, it was about having fun. As an example there are games I don’t like, but I have fun playing them with friends.
Gameplay and customization is what's fun to a lot of people. If gameplay is lacking, or not just to someone's taste, they're not going to find it fun,
Sure, some games can be fun with the right party even if it's not something you'd normally play but would you really play it in the long run, and isn't then the game something you do like?

I don’t agree with removing primary, secondary color customization, but acting likes it’s the worst thing to happen in the gaming world, is a sad choice.
And someone is acting like it? Or would this perhaps be the first piece of information we get in a long time, and it's quite controversial?

Bringing our feedback to 343i is good, however getting angry and saying that 343i can’t do anything right, or other insults, is just wrong, also I’ve seen and heard that people saying threats!? Like what the heck people, it’s a game for sanity’s sake, if you don’t like the way it looks, that’s your opinion don’t take it out on the game company.
And non-constructive feedback is being handled like it should be.

After all the outrageous things people have said just because 343i’s games weren’t exact copies of bungie games, we should be happy 343i is even making halo games still.
Here's that Bungie again... and "exact copy".
From what I've gathered, the vast majority of people who aren't fond of i343's Halo don't want exact copies of Bungie's Halos, they just do not agree with the frantic trend chasing i343 has been doing which has in their opinion deviated Halo from the old gameplay style towards a generic overused gameplay trend.
There have, over the years, people who have said that it wouldn't really have mattered if Halo 3, or Reach, was the last Halo because i343's isn't up to par with their expectations.
^ agreed...you even broke it down more than I cared to.
People need to stop whining about halo infinite’s customization and gameplay, look at it this way, I don’t think (1)halo was ever meant to be about gameplay and customization, (2)it was about having fun.
1. That’s just a foolish statement considering the time and effort into developing the story. Furthermore if customizations weren’t a part of Halo then why be able to change armors, colors, emblems, elite/Spartan, etc.? which brings me to

I can tell by your account that you haven’t been on the forums (or posted) much but as someone who has been here for a few years I can agree that these forums do turn into complaint fests and it can be quite toxic at times but people do in fact have a reason to be frustrated with 343i. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but tbh I think a larger amount of people would disagree with you then those coming to defend. good luck
I think it's an interesting conversation that needs to be had! Barring even the frustration. I mean I totally agree with you, people are justified to be frustrated because there is a clear confusion with why the system was made this way in the first place. Even so however, it's still worth pursuing why they made this system if they could have just added to the old one. This is a question that cannot be answered simply through "will it be monetized?" or those questions that Junyszek answered on Twitter. Don't get me wrong, he did clear up some confusion, but not all of it. Mainly, he didn't clear up the question of what the intention was to create this system, and not the system that Ultimate Ryuko outlines in this very thread.

"I think the most depressing thing about this is that the old color system wouldn't be that hard to improve, make it piece by piece, add different types like Matte, Metallic, Pearlescent, add a full color wheel WITH the ability to choose how saturated you want the colors to be and add armor detail like pristine, battle worn, etc. and I think everyone would have loved it, but no they went with the one they knew would grate peoples nerves [and spend more of their budget] rather than improve an old system because of greed and honestly that's just depressing."

A total dismissal of this argument would be unjust because: the air of mystery that surrounds why exactly this system was made and not another reasonably made system that doesn't exude any suspicion, is justified because of that suspicion. It's a mystery worth at least pursuing right now because I doubt we want to be subject to a potential refute in the form of "we told you it was going to be this way" by them (343) or anyone else in defense of the system. We're allowed to discuss it right now because even though we can't see the game itself, we'd like to know exactly how it's going to be and why because we want to gauge whether this is really move to improve Halo as a whole or not, an argument that's been going on for a while.
Why the suspicion? Because we've gone through this for 3 games now (3 if you count Halo Wars 2).
Given this however, I still want to be clear that I'm not in any place to say whether it's good or bad to have a system like this present in the 3rd main line Halo game made by 343, I'm more interested in pursuing the truth.

In straight, is this an attempt at improving the present system, just merely gone wrong (this early in development), or an attempt at replacing the old, unmonetizable system with a new, monetizable one? It's worth pursuing, I don't think anyone should just bluntly dismiss it, rather anyone who disagrees should civilly refute it with their own points, emotional or logistical.
People need to stop whining about halo infinite’s customization and gameplay, look at it this way, I don’t think (1)halo was ever meant to be about gameplay and customization, (2)it was about having fun.

I think it's an interesting conversation that needs to be had! Barring even the frustration. I mean I totally agree with you, people are justified to be frustrated because there is a clear confusion with why the system was made this way in the first place. Even so however, it's still worth pursuing why they made this system if they could have just added to the old one. This is a question that cannot be answered simply through "will it be monetized?" or those questions that Junyszek answered on Twitter. Don't get me wrong, he did clear up some confusion, but not all of it. Mainly, he didn't clear up the question of what the intention was to create this system, and not the system that Ultimate Ryuko outlines in this very thread.

"I think the most depressing thing about this is that the old color system wouldn't be that hard to improve, make it piece by piece, add different types like Matte, Metallic, Pearlescent, add a full color wheel WITH the ability to choose how saturated you want the colors to be and add armor detail like pristine, battle worn, etc. and I think everyone would have loved it, but no they went with the one they knew would grate peoples nerves [and spend more of their budget] rather than improve an old system because of greed and honestly that's just depressing."

A total dismissal of this argument would be unjust because: the air of mystery that surrounds why exactly this system was made and not another reasonably made system that doesn't exude any suspicion, is justified because of that suspicion. It's a mystery worth at least pursuing right now because I doubt we want to be subject to a potential refute in the form of "we told you it was going to be this way" by them (343) or anyone else in defense of the system. We're allowed to discuss it right now because even though we can't see the game itself, we'd like to know exactly how it's going to be and why because we want to gauge whether this is really move to improve Halo as a whole or not.
Why the suspicion? Because we've gone through this for 3 games now (3 if you count Halo Wars 2).
Given this however, I still want to be clear that I'm not in any place to say whether it's good or bad to have a system like this present in the 3rd main line Halo game made by 343, I'm more interested in pursuing the truth.

In straight, is this an attempt at improving the present system, just merely gone wrong (this early in development), or an attempt at replacing the old, unmonetizable system with a new, monetizable one? It's worth pursuing, I don't think anyone should just bluntly dismiss it, rather anyone who disagrees should civilly refute it with their own points.
Wasn’t dismissing his point more to the effect to say halo wasn’t developed for gameplay...I mean come on...really?

as for improving the system I can’t say that at this point in time they have improved the system based on the information we’ve been given aside from “marking up” the actual armor with scratches and worn out paint in sections. Absolutely the forum is a place to discuss these things but to make statements that in fact contradict the specific actual facts of gameplay and customization being in the game for 15-19 years is like saying most people agree that the grass is purple despite it the obvious conception that it is green.

to further the point I even bold and italicized the remarks to which I was referring in the original post...sorry for any confusion

Wasn’t dismissing his point more to the effect to say halo wasn’t developed for gameplay...I mean come on...really?

as for improving the system I can’t say that at this point in time they have improved the system based on the information we’ve been given aside from “marking up” the actual armor with scratches and worn out paint in sections. Absolutely the forum is a place to discuss these things but to make statements that in fact contradict the specific actual facts of gameplay and customization being in the game for 15-19 years is like saying most people agree that the grass is purple despite it the obvious conception that it is green.

to further the point I even bold and italicized the remarks to which I was referring.
Ok I'm not sure if my point came across but I was actually agreeing with you. people do have a reason to be frustrated with 343. I think that FieryPheonix shouldn't be structuring his refutes in the form that he/she is. Why didn't I just quote him? Because I saw something very interesting in your point, which was that 'People have a reason to be mad at 343'.

I was more trying to put reason behind what you were saying, which is that people have a reason to be frustrated with 343, BECAUSE of this this and this (in my post).

FieryPheonix was dismissing this entire thread (and entire argument) and I don't think that that is the way we should go about arguing about this mystery.

to further the point I even bold and italicized the remarks to which I was referring.
Ok I'm not sure if my point came across but I was actually agreeing with you. people do have a reason to be frustrated with 343. I think that FieryPheonix shouldn't be structuring his refutes in the form that he/she is.

I was more trying to put reason behind what you were saying, which is that people have a reason to be frustrated with 343, BECAUSE of this this and this (in my post).

FieryPheonix was dismissing this thread and I don't think that that is the way we should go about arguing about this mystery.
My apologies...I did see where you agreed with me, thought because I commented on and disagreed with the other poster that you had assumed I was dismissing his post entirely . My bad...

Ok I'm not sure if my point came across but I was actually agreeing with you. people do have a reason to be frustrated with 343. I think that FieryPheonix shouldn't be structuring his refutes in the form that he/she is.

FieryPheonix was dismissing this thread and I don't think that that is the way we should go about arguing about this mystery.
My apologies...I did see where you agreed with me, thought because I was commented on and disagreed that you had assumed I was. My bad...
No no its not a problem, it's just my way of typing. I over-complicate things a lot and I need to work on being on making clear the things that are important (like for example, making clear that I'm on your side, even if I wanted to interpret what you said a different way).

This is a conversation that should continue! People have a reason to be angry and so others shouldn't just dismiss it like its nothing, cause it's something! They and we should try to understand the other side (when it's civilly argued) and then bring civil points to argue against.
People need to stop whining about halo infinite’s customization and gameplay, look at it this way, I don’t think (1)halo was ever meant to be about gameplay and customization, (2)it was about having fun. As an example there are games I don’t like, but I have fun playing them with friends. I don’t agree with removing primary, secondary color customization, but acting likes it’s the worst thing to happen in the gaming world, is a sad choice. Bringing our feedback to 343i is good, however getting angry and saying that 343i can’t do anything right, or other insults, is just wrong, also I’ve seen and heard that people saying threats!? Like what the heck people, it’s a game for sanity’s sake, if you don’t like the way it looks, that’s your opinion don’t take it out on the game company. After all the outrageous things people have said just because 343i’s games weren’t exact copies of bungie games, we should be happy 343i is even making halo games still. So, instead of complaining, try to enjoy the game first, and when there is something that isn’t necessarily good, make your feedback good and constructive instead of saying, “this choice is stupid change it”, because nothing’s gonna change with that attitude. As I said I don’t totally agree with removing the the old color system, but I’m still optimistic for infinite. I don’t like it when games monetize everything either. But good grief, acting like this is the end of the world is just stupid.

I agree that death threats and general whining is not a great way to incite change, but I think most people on these forums have had good reason to be upset, and voicing their opinions is the best way to get execs to listen. Furthermore, to build on these points;

1. Halo definitely started out as a pretty simplistic multiplayer experience, with the expansive sandbox as a focus for a personalized playstyle. You couldn't even choose different armor pieces until Halo 3. But since Reach, a lot of players have had tons of fun crating their own personalized Spartans, mixing and matching armor pieces, and choosing from a large swath of color options. I actually distinctly remember grinding up to the rank of General just so I could have a certain elite armor. Believe it or not Halo multiplayer has evolved around the idea of player customization, and a lot of fans have fun with it. 343 said themselves that they made this design choice specifically to expand on "player expression." You can't say that this system which obviously limits the choice of color is somehow more creative, but then turn around and say "oh, well the creativity part of it doesn't really matter anyways." Why would you have this system for customizing colors, armor, vehicles, and weapons in the first place if you didn't think that was a core part of the multiplayer experience?

2. I'm sure the multiplayer experience will still be fun. Playing with friends has always been my favorite part about Halo, and I'm sure they've taken a lot of care in crafting a multiplayer game that most people will enjoy. At the moment, however we have no information on what multiplayer will look like. The only official news we've received about multiplayer is this armor coating system. With this as our only reference point, we are left to draw our own conclusions as to how this will change multiplayer. Will we have to grind challenges and experience just to get a few new coatings? Will we have to spend in game currency to buy them? What if I load into a FFA match and everyone looks the same as me? Will I only be able to make my spartan unique and personal by spending actual money on an exclusive coating? It's not a game breaking decision but it does affect the enjoyment of the multiplayer experience for a lot of people. Not to mention we've been given little positives to consider, replacing a fundamental feature with a completely different system that we don't fully understand is not a gain, at best it's a net zero. It's much easier to focus on the negative ramifications when the information we've been given is vague and confusing.

Lastly, I don't think anyone here was expecting or even hoping for a carbon copy of Bungie's Halo, I think a lot of us became heavily invested in Halo 4 and 5, certainly when it comes to Halo 5's multiplayer. I think most people are just frustrated and confused because it seems whenever 343 wants to improve something or build upon a feature from previous games, it usually comes at the cost of taking something else away. I don't think we should be simping over 343 because "we should be happy 343i is even making halo games still." They are continuing to make these games because of the success of an almost 2 decade franchise with a long-standing and devoted fan-base. Most fans of Halo buy the game simply because it is a Halo game. They owe us for their success just as much as we owe them for continuing to make a game we have been enjoying for years before they inherited the franchise.

I agree that death threats and general whining is not a great way to incite change, but I think most people on these forums have had good reason to be upset, and voicing their opinions is the best way to get execs to listen. Furthermore, to build on these points;

1. Halo definitely started out as a pretty simplistic multiplayer experience, with the expansive sandbox as a focus for a personalized playstyle. You couldn't even choose different armor pieces until Halo 3. But since Reach, a lot of players have had tons of fun crating their own personalized Spartans, mixing and matching armor pieces, and choosing from a large swath of color options. I actually distinctly remember grinding up to the rank of General just so I could have a certain elite armor. Believe it or not Halo multiplayer has evolved around the idea of player customization, and a lot of fans have fun with it. 343 said themselves that they made this design choice specifically to expand on "player expression." You can't say that this system which obviously limits the choice of color is somehow more creative, but then turn around and say "oh, well the creativity part of it doesn't really matter anyways." Why would you have this system for customizing colors, armor, vehicles, and weapons in the first place if you didn't think that was a core part of the multiplayer experience?

2. I'm sure the multiplayer experience will still be fun. Playing with friends has always been my favorite part about Halo, and I'm sure they've taken a lot of care in crafting a multiplayer game that most people will enjoy. At the moment, however we have no information on what multiplayer will look like. The only official news we've received about multiplayer is this armor coating system. With this as our only reference point, we are left to draw our own conclusions as to how this will change multiplayer. Will we have to grind challenges and experience just to get a few new coatings? Will we have to spend in game currency to buy them? What if I load into a FFA match and everyone looks the same as me? Will I only be able to make my spartan unique and personal by spending actual money on an exclusive coating? It's not a game breaking decision but it does affect the enjoyment of the multiplayer experience for a lot of people. Not to mention we've been given little positives to consider, replacing a fundamental feature with a completely different system that we don't fully understand is not a gain, at best it's a net zero. It's much easier to focus on the negative ramifications when the information we've been given is vague and confusing.

Lastly, I don't think anyone here was expecting or even hoping for a carbon copy of Bungie's Halo, I think a lot of us became heavily invested in Halo 4 and 5, certainly when it comes to Halo 5's multiplayer. I think most people are just frustrated and confused because it seems whenever 343 wants to improve something or build upon a feature from previous games, it usually comes at the cost of taking something else away. I don't think we should be simping over 343 because "we should be happy 343i is even making halo games still." They are continuing to make these games because of the success of an almost 2 decade franchise with a long-standing and devoted fan-base. Most fans of Halo buy the game simply because it is a Halo game. They owe us for their success just as much as we owe them for continuing to make a game we have been enjoying for years before they inherited the franchise.
^ Agreed. Not big on copy and paste franchises like CoD...I guess it really boils down to the specific user and there proffered style of experience. I’d rather have quality over quantity in that regard
I hope they run a system similar to COD MW’s color coating options with their gun accessories. Where you can choose which coating for each accessory on the gun, depending what skins you have unlocked. For the love of God please don’t just make it bland one skin things. I’m tired of games doing this, I want to be able to customize everything for the sake of me and everyone else. The clan community will suffer HEAVY from this because they need slight variations for their armor sets. Please 343 just give us actually viable content to remember and cherish your game for, not to bring down us every time we think about it.
343 is such an infuriating company honestly this is all because of the F2P model they are aiming for and I new anything customization wise was going to be paywall locked as soon as the F2P aspect was revealed... and then they literally said “you may not like this but we’re excited” like yeah you’re excited to watch money roll in for literally paywalling a part of customization of halo lol
Maybe redirect the decision to make Infinite free to pay? Obviously they will not do that but is there any incentive to purchase the campaign? Like if for example I was to get the campaign do I get all the "armor coatings" for that entire year since I am putting money into the game already or do I have to spend more so I can look all blue? With 343i putting out information they really need to elaborate on what is going on and go in depth. I do not understand why it is so hard to do this... just make a devblog and listen to the community. Start engaging with everyone and being proactive. I am kind of everywhere with this but it would be nice to see Halo Infinite not flop but I think this is going to have to be done with 343i listening to the community and not following the norm. Halo is unique because of not only the matchmaking but the fact that the player has so much accessibility with forge and custom games and being able to customize your spartan. I will end this now, it would be nice to receive more information on the "armor coatings"
52 color options in Halo 5 for primary and secondary. That's 2704 color combinations. The coating system I am willing to bet will not have "way more player expression options."
Maybe redirect the decision to make Infinite free to pay? Obviously they will not do that but is there any incentive to purchase the campaign? Like if for example I was to get the campaign do I get all the "armor coatings" for that entire year since I am putting money into the game already or do I have to spend more so I can look all blue? With 343i putting out information they really need to elaborate on what is going on and go in depth. I do not understand why it is so hard to do this... just make a devblog and listen to the community. Start engaging with everyone and being proactive. I am kind of everywhere with this but it would be nice to see Halo Infinite not flop but I think this is going to have to be done with 343i listening to the community and not following the norm. Halo is unique because of not only the matchmaking but the fact that the player has so much accessibility with forge and custom games and being able to customize your spartan. I will end this now, it would be nice to receive more information on the "armor coatings"
Yes, it would be nice if someone who buys the campaign, get at least some of the coatings unlocked for free, as they spent money on the campaign. I also agree that it would be nice if they made a devblog, so we would have at least an easy way to communicate with them. I think that making the multiplayer free, may have been a slight mistake, because as a result I’m guessing there’ll be more monetization.

I’ll admit that my post was not as well worded or thought out as I could have made it, which I will try to remedy for future posts. Next I wasn’t trying to say that this issue is unimportant, but that it could be worse and getting mad over it won’t help, being frustrated from this is fine, and you did give me some good insights, but others just used it as an opportunity to make me look dumb, so for those people if you don’t agree, and don’t have any good counter arguments, keep your disagreement to yourself.
Naqser wrote:
Perhaps the issue here isn't the people you interact with, but what your expectations are of what should be talked about.
Yeah I guess so, because what worries me the most is the F2P aspect of MP, which will 100% kill the game if the game isn't prepared to handle hackers and other types of scum, whereas you guys just wanna cry about colors. I can't wait for them to revert the system back to the old system but no one cares because the game isn't playable because hackers are rampant. I'm not buying the game until they talk about what they're doing to prevent hackers, boosters, derankers, and AFK-ers, and it's so baffling to me how people are already sold when we know nothing about the game, but that's gamers for you, they see shiny things and are immediately sold.

How do I stop getting notifications on this absolutely terrible website? Like this site is so bad it's 2020 and it's missing features that websites in the early 2000's had lmaoooo.
Zakspeeeed wrote:
What you guys at 343 have provided in terms of information on this feature isn't enough. You have got to come out and say how this system is going to work. All you've done is beat around the bush.

"a “coating" is “a seven-layer shader that allows us to put any artist-authored color, material, or pattern into seven channels and apply it to in-game items like weapons, armor, and vehicles.”" Well no kidding. We want to know how we get new colors.

• Do we start out with a certain amount of colors?
  • Can we mix and match armor coatings?
  • Can we create our own armor coatings?
  • How do we get new armor coatings?
These are the questions we want to know. If we can mix and match and players have a good amount of colors to start out with (like 30-40), no one will have a problem with this new system. Then maybe we can stick to these cool sets with pre-determined shades like Red Shift which has a bunch of different colors going on while also being able to create our own patterns.

Please tell us.
I don't know about anyone else, but I just inferred this when I read the post. I think all of the negative sentiment seems to come from people trying to put words in 343 mouths when that doesn't make sense to do. Like this OP on this forum is essentially saying "Woah woah woah. 343 didn't explicitly state that they would give us colors to work with by default. I think that means they won't let us do that." When any rational person would see the post and assume that yeah, that's probably the case. I have no idea where people are getting the idea that the color green is going to somehow locked behind a paywall. The hivemind at work, I guess. For example, consider a game like MW, where every gun has a unique set of customization options with the skin, stickers, reticles, etc. with the option to simply unlock a really large amount of these options through gameplay, or the added caveat of getting particularly unique skins through MTX. A system like this is what I immediately assumed was going to happen. I guess I just give 343 the benefit of the doubt? I don't know why you wouldn't here.
I guess for me it's a matter of saying "You didn't explicitly say this, but I didn't think you necessarily needed to say that so I'm going to assume you're adding that" vs. "You didn't explicitly say this, does this mean you're just not going to have anything like this?" which seems like the wrong take to make about the situation completely. It just seems like overreaction for the sake of being upset and I feel like it's largely a waste of everyone's time to make this much conjecture about it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 13
  4. 14
  5. 15
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. ...
  9. 35