2. ...
  3. 15
  4. 16
  5. 17
  6. 18
  7. 19
  8. ...
  9. 41
Halo 3 has 30 colors to choose from. Ignoring Halo 3's tertiary option, between primary and secondary colors you have 900 combinations (27,000 with tertiary). That is for a single "coat." If Halo infinite had color customization separate from the rest of the coat with 2 or even 3 colors, you have THOUSANDS of combination options.

Now, can you reasonably expect 343 is going to have at LEAST 1000 coatings just to satisfy all the possible color combinations? Not at all, and thats only assuming a SINGLE coat. Now imagine multiple coats. Lets say you had 100 armor coats, but 3 colors you could choose individually, from a pool of 30 colors... You would have 2.7 MILLION combinations between colors and coatings. No amount of "hand-made by our artists" is ever going to reach that.

343 has somehow try to spin this is as "robust" like its somehow going to allow MORE player choice. Quite simply, there is absolutely no way 343 could ever come close to achieving that level of depth in player-choice based customization and also charge money for it. This is as simple as it is, limiting player choice and taking away what we already had before so that you are left so limited that you have to pay money to get what you want.
The worst part is the smiling whilst claiming proudly that its robust.
Like Greenskull said:
If the Armor Coatings are so great, then people would choose them over primary/secondary anyway right? Then have them both in the game, proove it to us :).
So I see that a lot of people are upset about the armor coatings the armor coatings might not be too bad unless we have to purchase them through req packs that are 99% random however if they let us choose which armor coatings we buy that would be great I also would like to be able to use the armor coatings weapon skins and vehicle skins in campaign
X11 XOMAN wrote:
So I see that a lot of people are upset about the armor coatings the armor coatings might not be too bad unless we have to purchase them through req packs that are 99% random however if they let us choose which armor coatings we buy that would be great I also would like to be able to use the armor coatings weapon skins and vehicle skins in campaign
People aren't too upset about the armor coatings themselves, people are upset about the removal of choosing your primary/secondary colour. It might not be too bad but then they have to proove that asap by showing us the whole deal, explaining it completely. Like HaloFollower and SeanW said, you don't want to "tease" microtransactions. It's not a thing people like in the first place.
What's gonna be really crazy is the fact that most of the core gaming community *don't* be on Reddit, Twitter, official forums, etc. Potentially millions of Halo fans are going to boot up Infinite and do their near ritual of setting their controls and sensitivities and BOOM - where's the color options for armor? They'll probably be a few 'coatings' for launch but BOOM - they can't change the color of the skin (and we're basically talking about skins now).

When the general audience finds out about this It's going to explode from Halo youtubers and threads to mainstream articles and mass followed youtubers. It'll be about then 343 will know they dun goofed. It's been my observation that devs have a sort of 'calculated infamy' in regard to certain controversial decisions. So long as the general pop is fine the online portion could stay mad (Blizzard employs this). But if this don't change they will be the next Battlefront 2, Battlefield V, 2k20, etc.

The saving grace is the game is delayed so they could change it back while keeping the coatings you can apply if you want. And if they fear people will prefer their own colors rather than shell out for coatings, I would suggest making better coatings that use as many color combos as possible.
TheDonCJG wrote:
saifa117 wrote:
TheDonCJG wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
TheDonCJG wrote:
John9895 wrote:
I'm honestly surprised that more people didn't see this coming. Free to play multiplayer means heavy monetization; they have to make money somehow. Just keep making your voice heard and hope that 343 listens and implements a hybrid system like this.
Considering 343i have said there won’t be RANDOM loot boxes in the game I would assume that in game purchases will be directly for items you know you want. That’s fine by me as long as these types of things can be earned through regular progression too.

I don’t think this is as bad as everyone is making it out to be, at least so far. Though I do understand the upset.
They have not said there will be no RANDOM loot boxes, unless they announced it recently and I've missed it. They stated there would be no PAID loot boxes. Halo Intinite could still gave random drops.

I think it could be a bad thing, and until 343i clarify it the community will assume it's bad and I agree. In fact I've rarely seen such a large percentage of us agreeing. What benefits are there from removing our traditional colour system ?

Sure. Halo Infinite's multiplayer is free to play and I expected some unlocks and micro transactions, but I didn't expect the basic colour system to be replaced.
I think you’ve really blown it out of proportion with the clothes argument. This is a video game...
Colours aren’t going away, you can still choose what colours and armour you wear - it just works differently. No one is forced to apply this coating or that coating. You still have freedom to equip what you want as long as you have it unlocked

End of the day, we all have our own opinions on armour coatings. If people dislike it that’s fine. I understand why. It’s a radical change to the dynamic of Halo and its history of customisation in game. But I’m also an advocate for trying something new.

It’s not about who has the most points for or against. I’m allowed to disagree with the masses if I want to, I get why people are upset - I’m just personally not bothered by it.
You certainly are entitled to your own opinion, but some of the points you have provided are non-points. Sure there will still be a level of expression you can exercise, but as it appears at the moment... its going to be severely limited. We might even only get full armor skins only. Not much of an issue if you only play team playlists sure. And im sure we will get nice armor custimization... maybe. I too am for something new, but at the expense of less overall? Idk, we shall see. If they removed secondary colors and instead made each armor peice colored individually... that would be new and more welcome to the community id think. But hey, 343 needs money and multiplayer is shipping free... so I understand this was their way of monetizing the game. I think thou a better decision would be to have secondary colors and monetize that so you could then show off your *earned* streaks, as if they were medals or ranks you worked hard for. People arent mad because *new*. they are mad because it seems like they are getting less options than they previously got.
If I were in 343's shoes, or a person working for 343 on Halo Infinite, I would ask myself, "would classic Halo Bungie want this?" The coating option is all fine and dandy to me, but why remove the freedom of choosing basic colors? I don't think Bungie would have done that. I'm hoping there will be tons of customization options, that make up for it, such as changing the coating on all individual armor pieces. Maybe I could give my Spartan some scratch marks or make him have a robot arm. Even then, if we were to have those options, why would it be necessary to remove basic color selection? Could we not simply have color selection and coatings instead of replacing colors with coatings?
I tried but I can't keep my mouth shut any longer.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm feeling a bit insulted that 343 thinks they can just call their new Halo skins by a fancy name and we won't be able to make the connection. Skins are for Fortnite, this is Halo. 343, do you know how long we've been waiting for the level of customization that seven layers of a texture represents? You have that technology, but instead of handing it over to us to play with, you decided to keep it all to yourselves so you can make a quick buck off of us through microtransactions. I'll gladly pay $60 for a Halo campaign, multiplayer, and that kind of customization, but I'm not paying you to tell me what color scheme I want to use. things might be different if this wasn't a feature that was a staple of the Halo franchise, but you don't care about legacy, or what we want. If you did Halo 5 would have split screen, and don't think I've forgotten that you claimed you didn't know Master Chief was the protagonist of Halo. I trust you as far as I can throw you, and I expect I'm not alone.

(I'd like to clarify that this doesn't apply to the people polishing up MCC. I appreciate the support for that greatly.)
Armor Coatings needs to be strictly design/patterns. If we're locked on what colors we can use then this is going to be very frustrating.

343 please don't be stupid about this. A lot of people don't have much hope left for Infinite. Don't shoot yourself in the foot once and then assume the problem was you didn't use a big enough bullet.
Spam8358 wrote:
X11 XOMAN wrote:
People aren't too upset about the armor coatings themselves, people are upset about the removal of choosing your primary/secondary colour.
Exactly. I have no issues with them adding customisation options, but why remove the basic colour system ? It reduces customisation options imo. It's another thing we're losing now. I have serious doubts about Halo Infinite, I stated a few months back that I expected them to drop a few bombshells. We've had the reveal and this one, I'm willing to bet there will be more.

Edit. Maybe we just have to accept the Halo we had is gone or changed forever. Halo Reach is where the rot set in and it's getting worse with every new title. What get's removed next ? I've also stated many times that I have no issues with the games evolving, but not at the cost of removing content. I really think it will get a lot worse before it get's better.

The coatings are not a terrible idea. I'm sure many of the players will use them, but why remove our colour system ?
X11 XOMAN wrote:
Why even buy the stuff in the first place no one wants to buy anything customization wise
All of this could be prevented by just being clear on what all of this is.

343, if you keep being vague and don't respond when there's an outrage, people are going to keep on posting about it on your forums.
Clear things up and this could all be over.

343, if you keep being vague and don't respond when there's an outrage, people are going to keep on posting about it on your forums.
Mad theory, but this is a business strategy that's been done in the past;

- Test how the community will react to a feature being stripped out and replaced/restricted in favour of a monetization model by practically announcing it without actually announcing it, making it sound impossible to change. Now the fact this was announced on Thursday, that gve them a chance to throw out an informal response within 24 hours and leave it at that over the weekend to let the fans generate the result.
- If the reaction goes bad, get in touch with the evil corporate overlords at Microsoft and tell them the PR disaster their facing at trying to take away basic features.

Now the fix would actually have been perfection and loved had this been what was announced;
Let us pick Primary, Secondary, Tertiary and Visor colours independently. By all means, introduce these coatings which alter how the colours are laid out on the armour, the inner thigh armour now able to be something other than undersuit black? Great potential already. Combine that with Armour Pattern Decals and Details like wear & dirt, they've got the next level of customisation that no Halo fan was expecting, but wouldn't have a single negative to say about it... except maybe any timed exclusives tucked behind $170 worth of mandatory microtransactions, like the Apex Legends Raven Axe incident.

It's the Show-How-Bad-Things-COULD-Have-Been Method to artificially generate good favour with the fans. Cheap, but it works. After all, we all saw how bad the Sonic movie COULD have been, but the announcement of a rework after 3 solid days of memes and a delay changed that all for the better, except there, it was a genuine miscalculation by the executives. 343 have the delay, but... ergh... there's a whole lotta variables on the go right now.
Zak Ras 32 wrote:

Mad theory, but this is a business strategy that's been done in the past;

- Test how the community will react to a feature being stripped out and replaced/restricted in favour of a monetization model by practically announcing it without actually announcing it, making it sound impossible to change. Now the fact this was announced on Thursday, that gve them a chance to throw out an informal response within 24 hours and leave it at that over the weekend to let the fans generate the result.
- If the reaction goes bad, get in touch with the evil corporate overlords at Microsoft and tell them the PR disaster their facing at trying to take away basic features.

Now the fix would actually have been perfection and loved had this been what was announced;
Let us pick Primary, Secondary, Tertiary and Visor colours independently. By all means, introduce these coatings which alter how the colours are laid out on the armour, the inner thigh armour now able to be something other than undersuit black? Great potential already. Combine that with Armour Pattern Decals and Details like wear & dirt, they've got the next level of customisation that no Halo fan was expecting, but wouldn't have a single negative to say about it... except maybe any timed exclusives tucked behind $170 worth of mandatory microtransactions, like the Apex Legends Raven Axe incident.

It's the Show-How-Bad-Things-COULD-Have-Been Method to artificially generate good favour with the fans. Cheap, but it works. After all, we all saw how bad the Sonic movie COULD have been, but the announcement of a rework after 3 solid days of memes and a delay changed that all for the better, except there, it was a genuine miscalculation by the executives. 343 have the delay, but... ergh... there's a whole lotta variables on the go right now.
This a real method for anyone that is going to question the poster authenticity.

I'm not really sure whats to be cleared up.

The post makes it clear that color customization is gone. What we have are skins now. Some of these skins are acquired through various promotions. They can also apply to vehicles now (Which is nice). Many of the promotional ones look like things that should be base game (purple and a red and grey/black one that looks like a banished color scheme).

They already knew this wasnt going to fly, thus their statements about it.
The idea that there's a redeeming lynchpin to this coating system that 343i could reveal to dramatically deescalate the hurricane of fan backlash they're getting on this doesn't ring true to me.

I've heard various thoughts people have had about Coatings being customizable on a peice-by-piece basis, but this doesn't ring true to me because it feels like Uny would've definitely mentioned that in the Community Update, wherein he already used some serious hedging language to preempt what he obviously figured would be some substantial fan backlash. I know he isn't allowed to reveal any/all features he wants from the game to appease fans pre-launch, but I don't see a good reason for the powers that be at 343i to green-light revealing a basic overview of the Coatings system while withholding a huge detail like piece-by-piece coating customization. To me, if that feature existed, it would have to be one of the biggest emphasized elements of the announcement (i.e.: "We understand that many players are attached to the Primary and Secondary coloring system and the vast freedom of expression it has offered in prior games, but would like to note that the new Coating system supports individual piece-by-piece customization- which means that players will now have 5-6 individually selectable color customization options!"

That'd be taking away a cookie from the community with one hand and handing them a cake with the other. Undoubtedly there'd still be backlash, mostly around the monetization element and the removal of freedom of color choice for all players from the start (very legitimate gripes, don't get me wrong.) But if that were the case, one of the largest arguments against shaders would immediately and categorically be disproven, namely that Coatings do not and likely cannot effectively match the vast variety that a free color system offered.

If they could be applied on a piece-by-piece basis, they'd almost immediately blow every prior game from the series out of the water for color options. It seems like it'd be a big priority for 343i to let us know about that, since they're being roundly torn to shreds about this whole fiasco.
I don't even know if per-piece coating would actually be a good thing. There's no guarantee the coatings would mesh well together.

Not to mention it'd still be inferior to the possibility of per piece color picking.
Zakspeeeed wrote:
  • Can we create our own armor coatings?
The sad part, is that if they really did create this system, the possibilities are insane! This could open up an entire new door for spartan customization, but I have a sinking feeling a paywall and no custom coatings will be involved :/
I'm not sure if this has already been said by someone, but here would be my proposal for armor coloring:
  • Primary/secondary colors, much like Reach's coloring where the secondary applies to the lower legs, forearms, and some other armor accents. But it would be a more restricted coloring scheme than what coatings have. Being able to color each piece of your armor would be nice too ;)
  • Armor coatings should offer "unique" coloring schemes that you can't get with basic primary/secondary coloring, like with the "Red Shift" coating having coloration in smaller details of the armor.
  • Textures should be able to be used with both basic coloring and "unique" coloring.
I'm not a big fan of what 343 is trying to do, and I hope they're listening to us.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 15
  4. 16
  5. 17
  6. 18
  7. 19
  8. ...
  9. 41