1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 41
Lytatroan wrote:
(Note: This was copied and pasted from the locked armor color customization post)

I am disappointed in 343. I loved how Halo 5 had so many color choices, and all those toys showed how you can customize specific color zones. I feel like armor coatings are gonna be VERY disappointing. I don't mind vehicle and gun coatings, but having to unlock color SETS is stupid. I hope 343 does what Halo Online did and have preset colors and a color wheel so we can choose what we want. I really hope armor coatings become a thing where it's like the dye system in Terraria where you can tint your armor in a different tone. For example, my 2 main color schemes (blue and gold/white and red) plus a flame-like coating can create a cool effect on your armor using your color scheme. So basically that means if you get a cool armor coating, you can make your spartan have a yellow and orange gradient on your green armor.
This is an example of how armor coatings should work. It adds a tint of whatever color you have as your coating.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/terraria_gamepedia/images/a/ab/Red_Dye_%28equipped%29.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/26?cb=20200216201833

I also want an option to select areas of your spartan to change the colors of, for asymmetric armor coloring.
I think if you were able to substitute the exact areas which the coatings affect there would have been little to no backlash. The red shift coating does look sweet with the worn areas on it.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.
Spoiler:
Show
Zakspeeeed wrote:
  • How do we get new armor coatings?
the quote from the news is bit self explanatory as we are going to be able to earn them in-game as well as doing specific missions or achievements to earn others.

Quote:
rest assured the team has a lot of customization content planned including items that will be earned in-game and some that will be earned as special rewards (i.e. the Halo 5 152 legacy reward we’ve mentioned in the past).
The fact that 'solid purple' is locked behind a promotional thing makes me worry what will be available in game.
agreed still i think a lot of people are picking up on the supposed truths rather than extracting the exact quotes that are in the update.
If Elites are playable in Infinite, I'd like to know if they get armour coatings as well. That's a question I would like added to the list.
Spoiler:
Show
Monitors are handling this just fine. If they wanted to delete threads they easily could. They're locking repeat threads because nothing makes a forum unproductive and redundant like a bunch of different threads all about the same thing. So it makes sense that they're trying to focus conversation. Idk why this particular thread was the chosen one considering it sat around for 19 hours without a response, but to say that there's some kind of "cover up" going on by the Monitors (who are just community members like all of us) is absurd when the evidence against that is in plain sight. You can still go and read the 22 page thread. Even moderated posts are still viewable, Waypoint has always had one of the more transparent moderation practices.
Lytatroan wrote:
I think if you were able to substitute the exact areas which the coatings affect there would have been little to no backlash. The red shift coating does look sweet with the worn areas on it.
THAT, that IS a cool prospect.

It's not the fact these things exist, it's the fact that our ability to pick what colours we wish our armour to be independant of the layout the colours have being removed is the core issue. Had 343 announced THAT the fan response would've been the exact opposite, we'd be discussing potential patterns, discussing the layering system that's in play and photoshopping potential colour combo's we'd be rocking.
I first want to make it clear that I understand the monitors’ decision to close down the thread. While I don’t personally agree with it, they do not deserve to be attacked for the decision. As far as I know, they are not apart of 343 Industries and are selected candidates from the community who give their time to moderate when 343 does not. Please, don’t harass them over the choice even if you don’t agree. Suck it up, raise your head and move on. They are fans just like you and I, and there’s more important things to discuss.

Onward.

Armor coatings, in the way they’ve been described, are quite literally what I’ve feared since we first heard they existed. Armor coatings are effectively, to dumb it down, the same thing as the skins we put on our vehicles and weapons except are now universal to vehicles, weapons and your Spartan. Primary and secondary color customization has been done away with, a choice that is arguably one of the worst so far in Infinite’s development. I’m not a fan of them with what we know about them right now, and many others feel the same.

343 should have communicated to us long before we were only several months towards release. MCC and the flighting programs have shown that 343 is capable of making a quality product and listening to the fans, in which 343 has made long strides to touch up our older games and provide quality of life improvements to the entire platform. I commend them for that. However, I cannot commend the choices they make out of MCC. 343 has been far too silent about the game, and because of that silence many of us feel frustrated with 343.

343 does not have the benefit of the doubt. They shouldn’t have had it at any point in Infinite’s development cycle. If 343 was more open to us about what they were doing in Infinite and regularly communicated with the fanbase, we could’ve been able to get a proper grasp of what they were doing and provide feedback instead of being left in the dark and hoping that 343 simply satisfies what we expect in a Halo game. It is too late to change that, but it isn’t too late to have something like a flight to start taking steps in a better direction. They have no excuse to withhold a beta test or flighting program, even at a smaller than usual number at least, even if 343 will not change anything in the end, so we can at least help.

Armor coatings highlight a significant pain point in Infinite that many of us were worried about. The microtransactions of the game, and how heavily monetized the Free-to-play multiplayer will be. Armor coating doesn't help 343's case in terms of quelling our fears about the microtransactions that will be in the game, and only make them worse. Armor coatings have the possibility to be implemented as purchasable skins in Infinite, and because of that many people are at odds with this system. Not just because of the restriction of player expression, but because it restricts player expression in such a way that 343 can make some money off of it. I am also concerned this isn't all that will be monetized in the game, and am much more worried about armor packs, Campaign DLC, and other forms of monetization that could be put into Infinite. 343 has a track record with rather unfavorable microtransactions from as early as Halo 4 with the Champion's bundle to as late as Halo Wars 2 with the pay-to-win Blitz pack system, and armor coatings have done nothing to quell fears of another Halo suffering from microtransactions.

Color customization is such a basic thing in Halo that no one wanted it to go. It was such an expected part of the Halo product because its been there since the very beginning, and for 343 to introduce a new system that uproots our creative freedoms with color and provide such a vague detailing of exactly what this new system will do is a betrayal to the fanbase. More should've been said than what was, and I wholeheartedly believe they should say something sooner than later. Sooner being quicker than a month or so.

Overall, 343 has done a poor job of communicating with the fans since the very beginning of Infinite's development. This has resulted in worry and concern all across the community about the game, and a belief that 343 is not confident in their own product. Each time they have shown something more than a trailer, 343 has not shown their best hand and because of that have paid dearly for something they set themselves up to be. Their lack of communication has set a very uncomfortable state of being drip fed news and tearing that news to shreds once we hear more of Infinite. I sincerely hope that we will hear more consistent news about Infinite, more clear news about Infinite, and most of all, more honest news about Infinite. Leaving us in the dark will do nothing to help your case, and only shows to me how hesitant you continue to become when you reveal more details about the game.

Just be honest, straightforward, and consistent to the fanbase. We want you to understand what we want.

To be frank, I am just gravely disappointed with the decision. I hope they change it, but part of me doubts it would be even if they wanted to. Its a shame that the game that is supposed to have a 10 year life cycle is already carrying with it such heavy signs of worry, and each new sign only tells me to keep my money for something else.

Well, at least I won't have to suffer in MCC.

That said, I entirely agree with OP that we need more concrete information about armor coatings. The post from yesterday had only confirmed our fears and provided very little context to what exactly armor coatings were, and having some more information to properly get a better picture of what these are, how they work, and how to get them are needed. Even if how to get these things will hurt to hear more, or will result in more backlash, telling us now instead of later will rip the bandage off and prevent any more bad speculation about this. If you could at least answer some FAQs about Armor Coating to help clear it up, that would be magnificent.

My List of questions to 343 about Armor Coatings(subject to change):
  • How will armor coatings work in Multiplayer or Campaign? Will they be applied to our Campaign weapons/vehicles as well?
  • Are there options to toggle off skins on vehicles and weapons, like in MCC?
  • Can you describe what "seven-channel" and "seven-layer" mean moreso than what you have already provided? In layman's terms, please.
  • Can we apply coatings on different armor pieces? Or do we have only one coating on at a time for all features on our armor, regardless the piece?
  • How varied can Armor Coatings be? How out-there/abnormal can coatings become?
  • How many times can I use my armor coatings on my armor? Can I only use a coating once and if I change it to another, it will disappear and I have to reearn it, or can I switch between them infinitely?
  • Can this system change over time?
  • How will you handle the organization(UI) of coatings? Would it be like Halo 5's UI for armor?
To make it clear, I still don't support this decision. But seeing as I doubt anything will be done about it, we should start asking more questions about this system instead and how it works of just our dislike towards it. As much as I despise it, I believe I will have to come to terms with it. But I suggest a change should be made anyway, and I say we still express our dislike about armor coatings to the fullest extent, but we should still be asking for more info about it no matter our view, even on armor coatings.
One of the biggest oofs so far for MP. People want Reach style (full control) level of customizations across the board. The pre-packaged stuff from Halo 5 was no good after a decade of being able to edit all aspects of your spartan.
This is so dumb lets let people "express" themselves by taking away features every halo game ever has had. Makes sense to make money I guess right?
https://www.windowscentral.com/halo-infinite-removing-traditional-color-customization-and-fans-are-not-happy

Words getting out to the wider world hopefully this will cause 343 to see whats going on.
This is an example of a system that would have been an objective improvement over Reach-level customization:

https://old.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/jgptvd/with_infinites_coating_system_something_like_this/
If ANYTHING is paywalled, or grindwalled, then the multiplayer is in serious trouble. Sure, a lot of people will tolerate it, but it will erode all the goodwill 343 has built up since the re release of the MCC.
Armor coatings sound very suspicious... why all this secrecy if it's a similar system to MCC? Because it's not. Unless the material plays a part, denying ppl the ability to just customise their own colours is so -Yoink- backwards I don't know what to say. First the shotgun and magnum, and now this?
znazanz777 wrote:
This is an example of a system that would have been an objective improvement over Reach-level customization:

https://old.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/jgptvd/with_infinites_coating_system_something_like_this/
add extra option for "Pattern" and that would've been perfect.
Spoiler:
Show
No way in hell are we gonna let this issue die out. The youtubers are finally getting a taste of this news, so hopefully 343 will officially come out and state whatever the deal is with this coatings system. Until they explain it better, I'm going to stay mad. I don't want my Spartan being an advertisement for chips ahoy or GameStop (not that I'm likely to GET those coatings even if I tried, because I live down under).
No way in hell are we gonna let this issue die out. The youtubers are finally getting a taste of this news, so hopefully 343 will officially come out and state whatever the deal is with this coatings system. Until they explain it better, I'm going to stay mad. I don't want my Spartan being an advertisement for chips ahoy or GameStop (not that I'm likely to GET those coatings even if I tried, because I live down under).
I'm sure it would also be the case that there would be better coating on release like most pre-order Items most are forgotten when the game is released.
Spoiler:
Show
Shaders are doodoo.
That is all.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 41