6. 24
  7. 25
  8. ...
  9. 41
Quellyford wrote:
Quellyford wrote:
Quellyford wrote:
Quellyford wrote:
Ya know what? If this is what we get instead of REQ packs . . . I will just have to live with it. Because at least its only the textures that are being affected. You never know, maybe 343 will explain the system and people will suddenly love it. Because lets get real, would you rather have every armor locked behind a pay-wall? Or would you prefer to have colors behind a pay-wall? I personally would prefer for colors to be locked behind a pay-wall.
I'd rather unlock armor/colors by simply playing like I used for a game I ALREADY PAID FOR. Anything else is exorbitant greed.
Who says you can't?
Sure hope that the color scheme you like isn't behind a massive grind wall designed to frustrate you into just buying it for $5.

Come on people, use your heads, we've all seen how this F2P crap works.
Personally, I'm just more excited about the potential of armor coatings than mourning the loss of having primary colors. The potential of unique patterns, designs, effects, equipment, and more on your armor excites me too much to care about simple color schemes.
"The Prophets are liars, but you are fools to do their bidding."

--Arbiter
Meh, to me it seems more productive to be excited about the potential of a new direction than complain pointlessly online about a topic we don't fully understand yet. Because remember, all this whining is from a paragraph and some screenshots.
And a receipt calling a coating a $5 value.
Wouldn't that just be an ERP for promotional purposes? Kind of like how ERP for Xbox Series X was like $699 in US promos a couple months before pricing was announced? It doesn't necessarily mean the skin itself will be $5 in Halo. That's part of the problem, people speculating based thigs they don't fully comprehend. We need to wait to get the full story before complaining. If it ends up being a horrible system, I'll be first in line to be upset, but so far I have no reason to be angry. Concerned, maybe, but angry? Come on.
Imagine being outside, and walking between a pair of metal rails. You see a pair of flashing red lights lights, and a bell. Then the ground rumbles, and you hear a loud whistle in the distance.

You'd apparently sit there and wait to see what happens
I use my common sense, and realize that there's a -yoinking- train barreling towards me.
Never thought I'd see the day where we have to pay for an armor color.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Welcome to the dark future.
Delta5931 wrote:
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Welcome to the dark future.
its called 2020 the final year.
Naqser wrote:
Zak Ras 32 wrote:
Ya know what? If this is what we get instead of REQ packs . . . I will just have to live with it. Because at least its only the textures that are being affected. You never know, maybe 343 will explain the system and people will suddenly love it. Because lets get real, would you rather have every armor locked behind a pay-wall? Or would you prefer to have colors behind a pay-wall? I personally would prefer for colors to be locked behind a pay-wall.
I'd rather unlock armor/colors by simply playing like I used for a game I ALREADY PAID FOR. Anything else is exorbitant greed.
True, but at this rate, we will have to take what we can get.
You CAN say "no" and decline until you're shown the same level of quality and treatment you expected and got a decade ago and beyond with Halo.

Again, remember; that defeatist attitude of "I'll just accept basic features being continously taken away because corporate executives want to tout the Halo franchise as just another free-to-play mess of a live service"... is exactly what said corp execs are banking on.

EDIT: I've just remembered, someone thought it was a good idea to explain that the armour in Halo 5 would be locked in a bloated lootbox system, and to anyone whose concerned about the balance of REQ weapons; "GROWN-UP's are talking".
I know that, but honestly with a company as stubborn as 343. I doubt that they will change based off of our feedback. And since it is not THAT big a deal that we cannot pick our colors (even if it is ridiculous), I don't think I will walk based on something so trivial (even if it is unfair).

So I get that I am playing right into 343's hands here. But I gave up on 343 listening to us a long time ago.
They did revert how coloring emblems worked in Halo 5 after launch.
Sadly, they already have a shitton of deals worked out with numerous different companies for coatings and skins, and abruptly removing the one feature that those sponsors revolved around wouldn’t make those companies, Microsoft or their shareholders happy. I don’t think 343 will back down on this, or if they even can in the first place at this point.
spirlol wrote:
Naqser wrote:
Zak Ras 32 wrote:
You CAN say "no" and decline until you're shown the same level of quality and treatment you expected and got a decade ago and beyond with Halo.

Again, remember; that defeatist attitude of "I'll just accept basic features being continously taken away because corporate executives want to tout the Halo franchise as just another free-to-play mess of a live service"... is exactly what said corp execs are banking on.

EDIT: I've just remembered, someone thought it was a good idea to explain that the armour in Halo 5 would be locked in a bloated lootbox system, and to anyone whose concerned about the balance of REQ weapons; "GROWN-UP's are talking".
I know that, but honestly with a company as stubborn as 343. I doubt that they will change based off of our feedback. And since it is not THAT big a deal that we cannot pick our colors (even if it is ridiculous), I don't think I will walk based on something so trivial (even if it is unfair).

So I get that I am playing right into 343's hands here. But I gave up on 343 listening to us a long time ago.
Sadly, they already have a shitton of deals worked out with numerous different companies for coatings and skins, and abruptly removing the one feature that those sponsors revolved around wouldn’t make those companies, Microsoft or their shareholders happy. I don’t think 343 will back down on this, or if they even can in the first place at this point.
*Clears throat*
Of course, this is without knowing what kind of deal there's behind that.
-If these promotional items are unique in pattern and material composition it'd most likely be entirely possible.. who am I kidding, it's programming, it'd be entirely possible to lock the item out of color customization.
-These promotional items aren't going to matter much after the promotion period is over. Microsoft and i343 would probably be able to strike a new deal with the companies they're currently working with to unlock these coatings for all players, with unlocked color editing, but with some sort of reference towards the company or product the unlocked items were meant for.
Naqser wrote:
spirlol wrote:
Naqser wrote:
Zak Ras 32 wrote:

*Clears throat*
Of course, this is without knowing what kind of deal there's behind that.
-If these promotional items are unique in pattern and material composition it'd most likely be entirely possible.. who am I kidding, it's programming, it'd be entirely possible to lock the item out of color customization.
-These promotional items aren't going to matter much after the promotion period is over. Microsoft and i343 would probably be able to strike a new deal with the companies they're currently working with to unlock these coatings for all players, with unlocked color editing, but with some sort of reference towards the company or product the unlocked items were meant for.
There is reference to what you are saying here.
if 343 want to make people exited for the game, be CLEAR about monetization, show us the payment system, will we have to pay for colours, armour sets, patterns with real money and only with real money? can they be earned in game?, if so how long will it take?, if not in game why?, be clear, right now all these leaks and hints we are getting to the point 343i looks ot be pulling a pulling a battlefront 2 and forcing pointless monetization into places its not needed or wanted.
Player Emblems and Armor Emblems are separate, and each have an "actual retail value" of $2.
Which then, and assuming on this part, that emblems will be following a Halo 5 model.

On top of that, the skins are $5 each, and we already know that colors are "baked in", so no customization there, just having to settle with whatever the skin is with its "7 layers" that are not changeable.

So going with a "best case scenario" of these being easy to acquire at the very least, that means the UI is going to be incredibly cluttered as there would have to be countless different skins to satisfy the bulk of the playerbase since with 7 different layers (colors, wear/tear, pattern, etc); there would HAVE to be a metric-ton of them.

Worst case, to really get anything, you'd have to buy them at $5 for what ultimately ends up as just some pixels on your character.

Both don't really sound great and the more news that comes out, the less I'm willing to support a game that uses these kinds of micrtransaction tactics since if they're willing to monetize every ounce of customization, then it's only going to get worse from here.
New info: the stupid Monarch coating is 5 -Yoinking!- dollars. The Campaign might end up being awesome, but the MP is surelly not going to be good, at least in the customization side
Quellyford wrote:
Darwi wrote:
Halo 5 currently has 3600 possible color combinations.
Cool.

It would still be fascinating to know how many of those combinations are in active rotation.
Here you go :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHvlymjsq6Q&t=1s
Thanks. Obviously only a very small straw poll... but a good indication that we are looking at 20% or less.
$5 sounds a bit steep. Are we sure this isn't a placeholder price?

But anyway... if I allow $10 to buy a coating, and emblem, and a stance... Oh, make it $15 so that I can splurge out for an assassination and victory dance of some sort. I'll need to put away $0.58 a week (assuming we're still 6 months away from a release).

And if I hold firm and don't upgrade for the 10 year life of Infinite... that will set me back less than a fifth of a cent per week for the life of the game.

I don't know, honestly. I'm really not up to date with microtransactions. Is this expensive? cheap?

Not the way I should be looking at it?

Is it a problem for the vast majority of the population who will select something they like and stick with it?

The only MTX I do are for Pokemon go. If I know I'll be out and doing a lot of walking over the next few days I'll splurge on egg incubators to help pass the time. That sets me back $5 or so... and I have no problem with that as I get personal value for that money.
Darwi wrote:
$5 sounds a bit steep. Are we sure this isn't a placeholder price?

But anyway... if I allow $10 to buy a coating, and emblem, and a stance... Oh, make it $15 so that I can splurge out for an assassination and victory dance of some sort. I'll need to put away $0.58 a week (assuming we're still 6 months away from a release).

And if I hold firm and don't upgrade for the 10 year life of Infinite... that will set me back less than a fifth of a cent per week for the life of the game.

I don't know, honestly. I'm really not up to date with microtransactions. Is this expensive? cheap?

Not the way I should be looking at it?

Is it a problem for the vast majority of the population who will select something they like and stick with it?

The only MTX I do are for Pokemon go. If I know I'll be out and doing a lot of walking over the next few days I'll splurge on egg incubators to help pass the time. That sets me back $5 or so... and I have no problem with that as I get personal value for that money.
£5 for just 1 coating is a lot id say the only system like this i really know of is warframe but with WF its not this bad, for 1. its £4 per colour set not for one coating (each set cost's 75plat thats £4 with no discount) 2. you can make plat in game fairy easily removing the need to spend real money 3.colour sets are often given away in game on special days for free or by an in game trader using in game currency.

it isn't like skin where it makes you look special and takes extra time to animate and work with this is just blocks of colour when it comes to texture work its literally swapping a few values thats it, add to it in a lot of modes you won't see your one colours but if that the charge charge for them?
So I adamantly stand against coatings. If I were to choose between a generic coat of paint and choosing my color, I would always choose my color.
However, 343's brand deals and plans have already been set in motion. To try and undo the coatings to calm down consumers would be incredible, but also be troublesome for 343's partnerships.
A healthy alternative could be using coats as an alternative option to custom colors that have specific theming to them.

For example, Halo MCC includes pistol skins changing it to a shark tooth skin, golden skin, and covenant skin. If coatings allowed for custom textures and shaders, then it could be used to make a covenant skin with a purple shine and hexagon patterns, maybe a medic skin adorned with H's, or a golden skin that shines and shows off. Then, rather than taking away from player's connection to their Spartan, you're contributing to it.
Additionally, different player's methods of combat could tie to their choice in skin. Players who like sniping could use a camo skin. Players who favor vehicles could have a hot-rod theme. In the other Halo games, I went with my favorite colors, but in Reach, I gave myself a medic theme to match my gameplay. Work to this strength, rather than taking away from it.
To satiate the partnerships that 343 has established, the coatings provided could be based on those brands. I would much rather have a cheesy skin plastered in Oreo logos than have a generic purple item anyway.
Now I'm imagining a coating with Sour Patch Kids, Chips Ahoy, and Oreo labels covering it, they would go PERFECT with the Assault Rifle Squirt skin from Halo CE. The tackiest and most sugar-loaded combo out there.

I doubt any of this will happen - but I have no place to provide critique if I can't provide better alternatives. It works on the existing strengths 343 has provided for Halo without taking away from the player.
Please, 343, give players our primary and secondary colors. Then look into coatings. There are alternatives that won't cause a business related nightmare. Please invest in them. I feel like this was the last straw for a lot of players, and is parallel to the same break from tradition that ruined Halo 4 and 5 for others. (Lack of traditional multiplayer options was what prevented me from buying Halo 5 and an Xbox One).
From what I've seen regarding armour coatings, I can't say I'm not at least a bit concerned. I love the idea of coatings and possibly having seven layers of customization beyond armour permutations. What I fear is the implementation of this system is not what it should be.

Apparently the only way to choose your armour colour is to change your armour coating. Okay, so what's the problem? Armour coatings appear to be preset groups of skins, colours, and textures that apply to in game objects. We the players cannot tweak the layers of a coating. Only 343's hired artists can do this, which means we can only choose from the 'paint jobs' specifically designed by 343. What's worse is that some of these are locked behind a paywall, or other promotion. For instance the Monarch coating appears to be a matte purple and gold armour with a gold visor, that is only available as a promotional item.

This new system has loads of potential, but it's current implementation as I understand it is nothing short of horrendous.
if 343 built a system that makes simple color changes impossible its on them for making such a bad software. Why do I need to get punished for wanting my spartan to be customized like it always was?
CAVEMANcr wrote:
From what I've seen regarding armour coatings, I can't say I'm not at least a bit concerned. I love the idea of coatings and possibly having seven layers of customization beyond armour permutations. What I fear is the implementation of this system is not what it should be.

Apparently the only way to choose your armour colour is to change your armour coating. Okay, so what's the problem? Armour coatings appear to be preset groups of skins, colours, and textures that apply to in game objects. We the players cannot tweak the layers of a coating. Only 343's hired artists can do this, which means we can only choose from the 'paint jobs' specifically designed by 343. What's worse is that some of these are locked behind a paywall, or other promotion. For instance the Monarch coating appears to be a matte purple and gold armour with a gold visor, that is only available as a promotional item.

This new system has loads of potential, but it's current implementation as I understand it is nothing short of horrendous.
Not only that, bit if you add the price tag and then add the fact it looks like player emblems and Armour Emblems are 2 entirely separate things now, this is not entirely hopeful. There is only one way to make this system worth it, and that is if they allowed colors to be customized in the coatings, as well as allowing us to change how the armour looks?
I just hope these coatings aren't an implication of what's to come. Also it's practically too late to turn this around as other companies are involved. (Cookies and all.)
I have every Halo achievement and months of gameplay logged across the titles. I'm seriously considering skipping Infinite. These changes are inexcusable and must be reversed.
Quellyford wrote:
Quellyford wrote:
Who says you can't?
Sure hope that the color scheme you like isn't behind a massive grind wall designed to frustrate you into just buying it for $5.

Come on people, use your heads, we've all seen how this F2P crap works.
Personally, I'm just more excited about the potential of armor coatings than mourning the loss of having primary colors. The potential of unique patterns, designs, effects, equipment, and more on your armor excites me too much to care about simple color schemes.
It would be exciting if the potential was in the players hands, like in past non-343 games...It is not. IF we could choose primary and secondary and ALSO patterns, designs, effects, equipment then i'm sure the fans would be cheering now.

Evidenced by the information we do have and 343s defensive replies, the control is with 343 entirely and that the '7 layers' aren't editable by the player. You like a pattern but hate the colour? too bad. This could be alleviated by them making each permutation themselves which is a stupid amount of unnecessary work on their part, it would also make the interface severely bloated and clunky, something 343 is known for I guess. Let's not be stupid though even if skins were generally even $1 going by your ERP argument, do you think they'll be easy to obtain by the player? defeats the purpose of a monetisation system, which would be a dumb decision to undermine that strategy.

If there was any level of player choice in these 7 layers then the massive criticism thrown their way over this would of been clarified. If I had to make an informed guess i'm assuming that most customisable user content will be purchasable with the option to obtain it through random grind. A destiny style monetisation system.

Now if they have a system where players who buy the full game gain access to all monetised content then i'm sure a good chunk of the negativity would subside. I don't believe this will be the case looking at how most AAA games handle the in-game marketplace. I would assume whatever statements 343 or m$ have made in relation to in-game monetisation will be stepped around as much as possible because it looks like this game is going for a complete in-game marketplace approach.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 21
  4. 22
  5. 23
  6. 24
  7. 25
  8. ...
  9. 41