2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 35
znazanz777 wrote:
This is an example of a system that would have been an objective improvement over Reach-level customization:

https://old.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/jgptvd/with_infinites_coating_system_something_like_this/
I saw this, I love it too. I really would hope they'd leave behind the windows theme though lol
I'm so disappointed that Armor Coatings seem to be completely replacing the Primary and Secondary system. 343 could've LITERALLY had a home run by adding coatings as an additional layer to the customization system for new patterns and wear/tear for armors, and coatings are perfectly fine for weapons and vehicles as such things already work well with a skin/coating system.

But removing the ability to freely choose from a core set of colors that players have enjoyed since 2001 is unacceptable in my opinion. They really need to clarify what can and can't be done with the coating system soon, and I really hope that adjustments or plans are made to ensure the system provides core color combinations that people want without emptying everyone's wallet.
I been a huge fan of Halo franchise since day one since CE and beyond i like the fact that they went back to a more classic art style however taking away a fan option to customize their Spartan color would be a very terrible idea in my opinion. I felt that reach had the best customization options halo infinite should take that and expand on it. I feel they should really allow you custom every piece of armor including the bodysuit underneath color. I feel you should be able to choose a different right and left shoulder pad apart from each other like reach, different design of visors not just the color, textures for the armor to show that armor has been through some battles or keep it clean that should be an option same should apply to the visor have a crack in it as an option. I feel that if you want your spartan to be one particular color but one complete arm being an opposite color that's the customize it should have and more. That way the spartan customizations can be endless each individual spartan would be different that would be outstanding and every fan would love. Taking that way and just giving you certain color pallets would make us very unhappy do to the possibility of many other Spartans looking exactly like yours and the fans don't want that everyone wants theirs to standout and be different from the rest and it very well should with the how far games have come this is my vision of how halo infinite customization should be. I doubt that fans wouldn't mind if it takes them a huge amount of time if you gave all the things i stated as options. if you are afraid that people will be upset then give them a few premade pallets to choose from along with giving others the freedom completely customize their entire Spartans color. If you don't wanna give us complete color customization then at least give us first and second color options don't take that away from us that would just be a step back in the wrong direction no one wants that.

Thank you for your time and I wish you the best of luck I hope that I could help make infinite the best with some of my ideas i gave
I'm so disappointed that Armor Coatings seem to be completely replacing the Primary and Secondary system. 343 could've LITERALLY had a home run by adding coatings as an additional layer to the customization system for new patterns and wear/tear for armors, and coatings are perfectly fine for weapons and vehicles as such things already work well with a skin/coating system.

But removing the ability to freely choose from a core set of colors that players have enjoyed since 2001 is unacceptable in my opinion. They really need to clarify what can and can't be done with the coating system soon, and I really hope that someone has an epiphany and changes their mind before its too late.
With some of the Armor Coatings rewards already being distributed and cached, I doubt the system is going away! They'd have to take features away from people that have redeemed them already- a line I doubt they'd cross.

I'm not saying you should stop advocating for what you desire- merely stating that I think this system is set in stone.
What we need is complete transparency. In regards to everything, but right now in regards to armor coatings.

But removing the ability to freely choose from a core set of colors that players have enjoyed since 2001 is unacceptable in my opinion. They really need to clarify what can and can't be done with the coating system soon, and I really hope that someone has an epiphany and changes their mind before its too late.
With some of the Armor Coatings rewards already being distributed and cached, I doubt the system is going away! They'd have to take features away from people that have redeemed them already- a line I doubt they'd cross.

I'm not saying you should stop advocating for what you desire- merely stating that I think this system is set in stone.
Yeah, that's a good point. I'm just really frustrated about the whole topic. I hope they find a fair way to ensure that players have a reasonable selection of at least the basic colors without requiring large amounts of money or RNG.

Honestly thats part of whats so aggravating about this. Promotions are being sold for features that we don't even know how they work yet. And then when we do its too late as its tied up in stuff...and only because we started noticing it. Everyone who's bought these were effectively tricked into locking this system into place. So not only is 343 making players PAY to advertise for them, but also made players PAY to lock in their game design choices before they were even announced.

This game's supposed to have this '10 year plan' so it needs to have a good base. But instead I'm already just hoping we get a halo infinite 2 as fast as possible so we can be rid of this system as soon as possible.
<span;>Please don't take away our choice to pick what colour we want our Spartans to be I'm fine with Armour coating as long as you allow us to pick our individual colours as well
<!--/data/user/0/com.samsung.android.app.notes/files/clipdata/clipdata_bodytext_201023_182003_173.sdocx-->
(Copied from old thread because I will not back down on this issue)

I have read through almost every comment and the consensus seems clear. This is a bad idea. This is a step in the wrong direction. This is 343i, once again, trying to put their own spin on the halo franchise. They have had three major releases to look back and reflect on. Player feedback has shown what they've done right and what they've done wrong. This is another case of them "fixing" something that isn't broken and completely screwing the fans in the process. And this isn't even the first time since the reveal that this has happened! First it was the shotgun and magnum being taken out, which has been proven not to be fan approved.

When will 343i learn?

I truly don't think they ever will. They are going to keep pushing this on us until we give up. At this point, I think a full on boycott of the game would be the only thing that would get there attention. Now, some may say that is a way overdramatic reaction to the situation...but is it? They've screwed up over and over. It's not like they've screwed up on different things either. It's been the same category of screwups every single time.343i needs to respond to this asap and make some changes. They need to actually start listening and follow through with changes. No more of this, we hear you, but we aren't going to change it like they did with the weapons. I am disappointed.If anyone from 343i reads this, here are the takeaways.
  1. Stop making the same mistakes: You've heard the fans for all these years and now more so than ever. You know exactly what we want because we've told you. You don't need to prove yourselves by throwing out the old formula.
  2. Stop following the popular trends: Generally speaking, nobody wants this skin system or inevitable MTX minefield. I'm a proponent of adding a skin system in addition to the original color pallet system. That'd be cool because nothing is being taken away and nobody would need to use the skins if they didn't want to.
  3. Stop "fixing" things that aren't broken: This forum has made a clear case that nothing was wrong with the old system and it was in fact a way for many players to represent themselves and take up a story of their own outside of the chief's. This goes back to removing old weapons that are so iconic and loved by the community. There is no reason to take stuff out of the game and replace them. Adding stuff is welcome, but not at the expense of the long standing formula that made halo great.
I will finish with this, we need to make sure we are heard loud and clear on this issue. Again, it may seem over dramatic, but this seems to have rubbed a lot of fans the wrong way and I think it calls for some major action. I love halo and I really do want to see it succeed. But it's decisions like these that come across as a big "F you, we are doing things out way! Take it or leave it!" Now, while I'm sure this isn't their intent, it comes across as that because we are not being listened to.

P.S. Some may argue that if you don't like the feature then just don't get the game. That'd be easy to say if this wasn't a game series I've been playing for the past 16 years. Especially when it comes to customization, this has been a trademark of halo since day one.

Thank you for coming to my TedTalk. I digress.
Its no suprise that people hate the new Armour system. 343 cant seem to drill into their heads and accept the fact that changing fundamental parts of the game is not innovative, not creative, but in fact, a cultivation of trash and unnecessary additions to the game, which draws unoriginal ideas from other games, instead of looking at what has worked in the past, and improving upon it. Let me say i am not happy with the Bulldog and Sidekick replacing two iconic weapons, the shotgun and magnum. 343, i aint a big fan of you rn, stop screwing around with the game i love wholeheartedly. But today, im not here to talk about 343 mess ups. Believe it or not, they have added one potentially good idea to the game: Free multiplayer. While it has the potential to bring in much more players than initial halo games, it just makes the paid Campaign feel a lot less content filled. here is my proposal: Make primary additions and secondary colours available to people who buy the campaign. That way, die hard halo fans get what they want, the campaign becomes more content filled, and people are more likely to buy the campaign, simply because of this addition. Again, i am against armour shaders, but if they must be in the game, then at least consider this ‘negotiation’
I'm perfectly fine with the coating system... AS LONG as we get to choose its colors.

Personally, I'd rather have Anthems color and monetization system. It would make them more money than. This lazy crap and it would make fans happy.
Another thing to note, is that nothing new is even added to the game here, 343 are talking about it like it's a new thing. Let me explain.

The coatings are basically skins for your armor, we had that in Halo 5, except in Halo 5 the colours in the skins were changable. Realising this, they have only deleted a feature, and expect us to see it as if they are adding something new,

Skins can co-exist with colour choice like it did before.
sniper945 wrote:
I truly hope we gain more insight into how these armour coatings work. I feel we still know next to nothing about they're actually function.
From how it looks, they're skins. Like the Halo 5 armor skins but with more custom aspects and the colors entirely locked to the skin. No doubt they'll look good, but they won't be near as customizable as the regular color picker. Also, it seems that visor color might be locked to the coating you use.... which is a terrible decision
Just to throw some numbers into this new topic, as the old one is now locked:

In Halo 5, there are 3600 colour combinations. Combined with the helmets, armours, and visors, Halo 5 gives over 12 billion unique customisation options. Now, a lot of those would never be used, because a lot of the helmets and armours don't appeal to a lot of people, but that's a lot of options for players.

Are 343 going to give us 3600 skins (or coatings, if you want to make it sound fancier than it is) in Infinite, to account for the lack of colour customisation? Even then, there's been absolutely no confirmed guarantee that you would even have access to the colour scheme you want, because there'd be 3600 of them. You're not going to want to sort through that list if the UI is anything like it was in Halo 5. That's before you even cover textures. You could easily make it 7200 skins with simply one texture for each colour pattern.

It's utterly ridiculous.

As for everything else I said on the previous topic...I'm not going to repeat it here. There's too many posts, and most were replies that wouldn't make sense without the context. I guess they're there to still read. I somewhat understand the decision to switch, but it really has just killed the momentum of the discussion. Everybody on the topic understood that new information had come to light, and it turned the topic from one of speculation to one of discussion of the confirmation. After 22 pages, the ball was already well on its way rolling, and even if it wasn't a fresh topic, it was fine. It worked. I'm not going to even suggest that this was a diversion attempt to qwell the opinions though. That's just obviously not the case. Hopefully, the traction can be regained in this topic, because this is clearly an issue a lot of Halo fans agree on.
Spam8358 wrote:
Another thing to note, is that nothing new is even added to the game here, 343 are talking about it like it's a new thing. Let me explain.

The coatings are basically skins for your armor, we had that in Halo 5, except in Halo 5 the colours in the skinns were changable. Realising this, they have only deleted a feature, and expect us to see it as if they are adding something new,

In addition Halo MCC has gotten "skins" to weapons and vehicles in a good way as they can be toggled on and off for ppl who think it breaks immersion, and is earned through season points which are pretty easy to earn by playing the game.
It's as if the Infinite team are ducking their heads into their own box without realising that MCC was already doing armor and customisation much better and there's no reason to change that system. Instead they want to scrap the whole thing and replace it with a system that we still know very little about, especially when it comes to whether it's pay or grindwalled.
I like the idea of this but this makes me worried since they removed Color section which im not a fan of. If its armor coating added but color section is still in there,I'd be fine with that.
~snip~

Well they still can mitigate the level of armor coatings from being Additional Transaction (ATX) or being Battlepass filler and also clarify things before going golden. They can make the standard colors for primary and secondary available at first boot while having the previously impossible color schemes available as ATX, preorder, and Battlepass filler. I am talking about weapon skins, vehicle skins, and then the 3 color and other skins/patterns that were impossible to create in past Halo games. That is a way to mitigate this system without chopping block it. It would still be a bummer and concern for MTX ridden game. As I stated in the last thread, clarification that this new cosmetic system is similar to DOOM 2016 rather than Destiny 2 or just showing how this system works, even if its WIP with a placeholder UI, might reduce concern.
Halo MCC would've been a decent model to follow. So, to me, it doesn't make since that they would cut out colors. Let's hope that we can at least customize individual parts of our armor again. Halo 5 didn't allow it and it honestly was pretty lame. Just my opinion.
Soulfire72 wrote:
Spam8358 wrote:

The coatings are basically skins for your armor, we had that in Halo 5, except in Halo 5 the colours in the skinns were changable. Realising this, they have only deleted a feature, and expect us to see it as if they are adding something new,

In addition Halo MCC has gotten "skins" to weapons and vehicles in a good way as they can be toggled on and off for ppl who think it breaks immersion, and is earned through season points which are pretty easy to earn by playing the game.
It's as if the Infinite team are ducking their heads into their own box without realising that MCC was already doing armor and customisation much better and there's no reason to change that system. Instead they want to scrap the whole thing and replace it with a system that we still know very little about, especially when it comes to whether it's pay or grindwalled.
Similar situation with Halo 5's Mythic Arena gameplay (I am not turning this into a discussion on movement mechanics, but am merely using it as a comparative example): it got praise from both sides of the movement mechanics community, and was seen as the direction of a genuine compromise between the two methods of play. But then when the Infinite gameplay reveal came, it was decided to not to go with it.

343 have all of the elements to make a "perfect" Halo game, but they seem adamant on not putting them together. I don't know if it's because of Microsoft, Xbox, or 343 themselves, but it's just completely non-sensical.
This whole Coatings fiasco has already turned into a massive fireball of bad vibes among an almost unilateral force of established franchise fans. Here's a bit of a visualization as to why. Below I've outlined the possible color combinations available to all players in every Halo game to date (Using MCC for the pre-H5 games). I've left visor colors out of the equation because, unlike regular pallete choices, there's never been a precedent for them to be available to all players from the get-go.
  • CE - 18 Primary-Only color choices, available to all players from the start. Total possible unique configurations? 18.
  • Halo 2 - 18 Primary and Secondary Color choices, available to all players from the start in any combination. Total possible unique configurations? 324.
  • Halo 3 - 30 Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary color choices, available to all players from the start in any combination. Total possible unique configurations? 27,000. ALSO, Light colors are a heavily rumored addition for H3 in the future based on the Halo Online option- may or may not happen, but would bump this number up another whole order of magnitude.
  • H3: ODST, Reach, and H4 - 30 Primary and Secondary color choices, available to all players from the start in any combination. Total possible unique configurations? 900.
  • H5: Guardians - 60 Primary and Secondary color choices, available to all players from the start in any combination (miraculously, in hindsight). Total possible unique configurations? 3,600.
CMA Disclaimer: I'm not a statistician or mathematician, and have relied on an online combinations calculator to do the work of determining the above for me. There may be an error in my method for plugging in the numbers, but these all seem accurate to me. Please do correct me if you notice any errors and I'll happily notify, and then correct them in a marked edit.

... Whew!

Anyways, does anybody want to speculate the odds that 343i programs over 27,000 unique Coatings into Infinite, even over a ten year window of continual expansion and support? That's the number to beat if they want to claim this new system offers more unique ways for a player to express themselves than any Halo game before it (textures, visor colors, etc. all excepted). But, that's not really even the point.

All of the color options detailed above have always been truly universally available means for each and every individual player to select, from minute one playing the game. Even if there's a Coating that does, truly and deeply reflect your personality and tastes down to the finest detail (alternative textures add a layer beyond color into this consideration- I can easily imagine a scenario wherein I find a color combo I can really dig married to a texture that I find a total dealbreaker), there's no knowing precisely what lengths you'll have to go to in order to unlock that shader. If it works like Destiny, you may spend months drowning in practically every shader but the one you've been aiming for. If it works like most F2P games, you may miss a timed exclusivity window or limited promotional event that forever locks you away from your desired Coating. It's not a friendlier system for player expression than the established status-quo for Halo, at all.

If you have a compelling argument to the contrary, please, please present it to me. I genuinely want to be missing the point entirely on this and would love to be proven wrong and shut-up. I want Infinite to succeed and be the objectively best Halo game ever made in every aspect (want it to be, never have expected it to be). I just can't for the life of me figure out a way this is a net improvement over the old system.

343i is selling old-guard fans down the river on this one in favor of a new crowd that won't know or care about what they're missing with a freeform color select system. They're expecting us to basically "get over it," which, while many of us honestly might in time (I'm in no way saying that there won't be things to like or even love about the new system, just that it's a step down in raw numbers of possible unique expressions and freedom), is just not cool.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 35