1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 38
  4. 39
  5. 40
  6. ...
  7. 41
Ph177up702 wrote:
With the recent post about Halo Infinite everything sounds & looks very good. It's everything that needed to be done since the taking over from 343 Industry. However there's one thing that is bothering me & that is the introduction of armor coating for Halo Infinite. I watched a video from HiddenXperia & he went over the article about the latest news of Halo Infinite. As he went over the customization part of the article, I saw that the topic of armor coating really bothered him & I have to saw it bothers me too. (Here's the link of the article he was going through https://youtu.be/wBQMOcnbPgA about 20 minutes into the video HiddenXperia goes over armor coating). I can't help but feel that armor coating is something similar to shaders from Destiny & that it might replace primary & secondary color choice option. Having the ability to choose whatever color you want for your spartan has always been a great feature for customization. Picking & choosing where you want to put your colors has always been great because it gives players creativity to their unique spartans. By introducing armor coating to Halo Infinite, it removes that part of creativity for customization. I'm sure that the Halo community grew fond of the primary & secondary color choice & I don't remember hearing a single player complaining about it. 343 Industry, please I beg of you to not replace our ability to choose what colors we want to pick. If you want to introduce armor coating than that's fine I'm sure you guys might do a really good job but don't add a new feature that might replace an old feature that players grew with love. To the Halo community, please help me & make them see this forum post. Help me & tell them "NO" if armor coating is going to replace primary & secondary color options.
hate to break it to you but you're very late to the party and armor coatings are a for sure thing...choosing colors isn't going to happen in this game.
Yeah the convo is over. At this point we need to focus on core gameplay, feature set, etc. But I'll say one thing: If they have this attitude about something as sacred as a 20 year old option, you best believe nothing is safe (even after H5).

All we can do is wait and vote with our wallets.
I hate how 343 keeps saying that coatings will offer greater detail and variation when it comes to color selection. Lets take a look back at the armor customization in Halo 4 and 5. Strictly going by the numbers, one can argue that halo 4 and 5 offered "Greater detail and variation" yet in this article they stressed that they are returning to Halo Reaches level of armor customization. Why is a game thats almost 10 years old considered better despite having less detail and variation? It boils down to player control. Reach had greater control over the look of your spartan despite halo 4 and 5 having literally hundreds of premade armor sets. They are returning to the levels of player control that reach had, not level of customization. The issue wasn't with the number, it was with it being premade. They said in the post they're revisiting the number of selections of coatings available in the starting set. But number was never the issue. The issue is with control. By taking away player control they harm the overall customization experience. When kids get a coloring book as a gift, do you think that they'd rather have all drawings pre-colored? Or is it more fun to color them in however they wish? Don't sell us premade coloring books by marketing the number of pages. I'd rather have a 10 page blank coloring book than a thousand paged book pre-colored. And thats what this boils down to. 343, just own it and come out and say this design decision was for a monetization model.
eviltedi wrote:
Ok, so while I initially hated the idea of the color coating system, it is starting to grow on me for a few reasons. After reading the latest update on infinite a good portion of my concerns were addressed. There will be a starting set of coatings we will have and there are many ways to unlock different coatings and they won't all be monetized. I guess my only concern now is for the amount of variety between the ones that are monetized versos earned by playing, like if there is a black and red coat on the store, does that mean there won't be one that a person can earn by playing the game? Hopefully a question like that can be answered in future updates.
Yah, I get people dislike this new system, but for me I think it's better than the alternative of Armor itself being monetized. In multiplayer we constantly see other players armor no matter the game mode. However we only really see the colors we normally have picked in game mode where its free for all. For me, I would rather look like the spartan I have used for years with an ODST helmet and play in red vs blue team colors, versus having to buy those armor pieces but have the ability to customize colors for that spartan so I can see them in game modes I rarely play.

I do believe the alternative to coatings would have been monetizing armor itself, and there would have been backlash to that way as well. Most of you will argue that they could have done something like name plates or weapons skins instead, but keep in mind, as crappy as it is these days there is a desire to make a lot of money in micro transactions. Nameplates or weapon skins would not have the draw of spending money that colors or amor pieces themselves would have. I think this is something they thought about a lot because armor and colors are two large things in Halo and to have to pick one too monetize part of it had to be a difficult call. Like I said on armor, we see it a lot more than our personal colors, so they decided to leave armor alone and increase the customization options to offset the loose of customization of colors.

I really want to see this system in more detail before jumping to conclusions, as I think it will be fine, but Im currious what the default coats will look like and how much is unlock able by playing compared to paying.
I know a good amount of you will probably call me all sorts of names for giving in and saying that I think the system maybe fine and you are perfectly fine having such an opinion. What I wanted to do with this post was at least put my own thoughts out there, but also point out what a lot of people seem to forget. The F2P nature of the multiplayer meant there was going to be monetization to make up for the cost, and there are only 2 real options that could makes sense, armor or colors. The question I'll leave this off with is, would you prefer if armor was monetized but we were still able to pick primary and secondary colors instead?
You know Warframe just monetizes the colors instead?
No. That's not strictly true. Warframe comes with a basic colour palette that allows us to colour every Warframe, weapon, pet, companion, operator, sentinal and landing craft, including all attachments like armour pieces and syandanas etc. You can also earn palettes and some are given away, St Valentines Day and St Patricks Day palettes are two that immediately come to mind.

Then there's the free console exclusive palletes, the Xbox palette is a selection of 90 shades of whites, greens, grays and blacks. That can also be used in conjunction with other palettes and applied to all previously mentioned items. Other palettes can be obtained from trading standing with traders, no real money needed, in fact you can obtain all palettes from trading parts for platinum, no cash required.

Warframe is not comparable to what 343i are doing in Halo Infinite, they are removing our basic colour system and replacing it. At least Warframe offers us a basic colour palette, it looks Halo Infinite will not.
I was referencing how much better Warframe's system is....
I know, and I agree with you. I was just pointing out that Warframe's colours are not strictly pay walled. The breakdown was for others not aware of how Warframe works, was not criticizing you in any way, sorry if it came across that way, it was not my intention.
If armor coatings are so much better, whats the harm in also having primary and secondary color channels with a default pattern? Is it, maybe, because 343 wouldn't sell as many coatings if that were the case? But if the coatings are so much better... wheres the harm in having primary and secondary color selection...
Based off the screenshots we got in the high level update, I think armor coatings are going to eventually be received well by the community. I know a ton of people won't agree, but I'm pretty sure we'll end up with better customization options in regard to color than we've ever had before. I don't think asymmetric coloring (Scorpion sting coating) have ever been an option, aside from maybe some of the H5 req armors.
The armour coatings are not the issue. The issue is they're replacing our old colour system with them, and they've already stated there will be premium pay walled content. Those armour coatings do look great, but I don't like those colours, the one red arm looks ridiculous to me. I would prefer to have my red and yellow or my purple and grey with blue visor, (look left). I won't be able to do that,,, and that's the problem. Also, they're going to milk this big time imo.
i had a comment earlier, a few pages back, but its been a few days now and I've been puzzling on the idea of monetization for a live experience vs a halo and warframe model.

just to cover what i said before, warframe has a lot better economy for a live service, but aside from the economy, they also have multiple characters that people often customize through monetization, and as it has become my longest played game... i can say i don't really mind spending money on it either, its one of the only free games that i do.

and then we take halo, halo has one character, the player, and once its customized thats normally it, as soon as it reaches a close enough approximation to what the player wants, they no longer feel the need to customize. just as an average, I'm sure there's plenty of people that like to change up their armor every so often.

so, only in the vain of infinite being a live service that can support the continued employment of its studio, this makes the most sense to me in a halo model, where you have one character.

take your seven layered asset (whether or not its easy, you guys have a year now.) and break it up into seven layers of paid for customization just like warframe. warframe, though it doesn't sell "coating effects" like scratches and mud, etc. they do sell straight up color palettes, you have a few under saturated default colors, and you even have to buy the full default color set.

this idea seems like it makes the most money to me, given how players give up once they reach a customization approximation. sell the colors, sell color palettes, sell visor colors, sell scratchs, sell mud, sell those details separately.

oooh, their coming out with plasma burned armor coating, I'm gonna buy that. oooh their coming out with camo pattern primary and secondary, gonna buy that, etc.

it makes more money, and its not taking away player control, its taking our money, but its doing it in such a way that a lot more people would be onboard.

now... separately from that... when i first saw that one coating, with the single red arm, i was excited that we would have "per piece coloring" not no coloring at all... monetizing color is something i can agree with, its better to sell hats than to sell guns... but there's to big of a difference between selling color and not letting players buy color.

listen... this multi-layer thing, its great, really, i mean, its extremely terrible if you can't back peddle on this and give players access to each layer for money, cause we'd be more than happy to buy it... and with this being a "live game for the next 10 years" spiel, i not only want you to do that correctly, and actually give us customization properly, i also assume that you will eventually do just that, cause live games like warframe require you to have the ability to edit anything in the game you want at any time barring certifying with the publisher.

just, take my money -blam- -blamite- separate the layers, let me customize them how i choose, and let me buy every piece of those layers, the color, the scratches, everything, it'll sell more, because it will be more. its, "i buy one armor coating i like and never buy anything again", or "i buy an entire coatings worth of stuff and maybe some more down the road."

and c'mon, you guys have done more difficult stuff, split screen local co-op at 60 fps with ray-tracing and multiplayer networking while working from home? and you can't break up some paint and add a UI to sell -blam- to me?
I just hope since it seems armor coatings are something you can only pick one of at a time that they have a “random” option so each match of multiplayer you equip a coating you own randomly. Same goes for weapon skins.
GIVE INFINITE DEFAULT SKINS 2 COLOR CUSTOMIZATION

I am a fan for armor coatings, I love the next level of customization, but I hate the idea of not having basic customization!
You never had to unlock the colors for your Spartans, they were always there, and if Infinite ONLY has armor coatings it’s free customization will tank.
And then there’s the problem with new players. What are you gonna do? Make them all be the same color, have the same armor coating?? Why do that when you can use a resource that has always been free in halo and give them a very simple 2 color customization.
Players will still want to go for the cool armor coatings like the scorpion with one arm red and stuff but then even they will get to customize. And for the OG halo players it won’t feel like a piece of the game is missing even if they choose armor coatings over 2 color customization.
The more I think on it, the more I really would like to see the freedom of a 'per-piece' customization with these coatings. I truly find this to be the superior method of approaching these colours as they would open far greater doors then anything before.

Couple it with base colours unlocked at the start of the game, and we'd have one of the most fun customization experiences to date.
eviltedi wrote:
Based off the screenshots we got in the high level update, I think armor coatings are going to eventually be received well by the community. I know a ton of people won't agree, but I'm pretty sure we'll end up with better customization options in regard to color than we've ever had before. I don't think asymmetric coloring (Scorpion sting coating) have ever been an option, aside from maybe some of the H5 req armors.
The armour coatings are not the issue. The issue is they're replacing our old colour system with them, and they've already stated there will be premium pay walled content. Those armour coatings do look great, but I don't like those colours, the one red arm looks ridiculous to me. I would prefer to have my red and yellow or my purple and grey with blue visor, (look left). I won't be able to do that,,, and that's the problem. Also, they're going to milk this big time imo.
This is why the conversation is continuing and should continue, the core issue lies in the fact that the old system is gone in the wake of this new system. People like to downplay it because they think anyone that argues this point is irrational, but realistically, the point is that this change is less immediately consequential, but it's very telling of a future for Halo that not everybody agrees with.
People want to nip it in the bud before it starts to grow into something worse. People want there to be push-back, because if there's no push-back then 343 may take it as a sign that they can continue down this path and people will like it, when that is not entirely the case as exemplified by this thread.

People can like the new armour coatings, nobody is preventing that, but that also means that people have a right not to like them, and have a right to voice their mind without being called irrational or that they "just don't like change". Plus, Halo shows no sign of dying anytime soon, so of course people should be allowed to speak their mind so that the game franchise can still change, even if it looks like 343 has made numerous mistakes in the past.
sniper945 wrote:
The more I think on it, the more I really would like to see the freedom of a 'per-piece' customization with these coatings. I truly find this to be the superior method of approaching these colours as they would open far greater doors then anything before.

Couple it with base colours unlocked at the start of the game, and we'd have one of the most fun customization experiences to date.
Yeah I agree, this may even evolve the freedom for those who only want their 2 colours. Assuming they still make a hell of a lot of coatings.

That way if you do happen to find 1 coating with your two colours, for example pink and turquoise or whatever (what a mix), then you could put that coating one some parts and combine it with a fully turquoise coating on other parts and a fully pink coating on other parts. And customize the pattern of your primary and secondary colours, and also mix in more colours if you so wish. If you think there is too much pink in the pink and turquoise coating you could just make some parts turquoise, could be cool.
To make it short and quoting Mr. Krabbs

Quote:
Money!
I want black to be real black, you use ¨black¨ in mcc (except halo ce) and it looks like silver not black
I really want Infinite to be a good Halo game. I genuinely do. But man, this armor coating controversy has really been messing up the community. I'm not completely certain, but I can assume that Microsoft is pushing 343 to make this decision so they can earn more profit in the console war against Sony. In one of their latest blog posts, they said they didn't make the decision lightly. I'm not sure I feel that was sincere.

Here's the thing people: we can vote with our wallets. The less people buy Infinite, (hopefully) the more likely they will actually have a heart-to-heart with the community and implement more positive changes into the game. That's why I'm leaning against not pre-ordering a Halo game for the very first time ever. Obviously each Halo game will have their strengths and weaknesses, we can't expect perfection. It's cool they have Joe Staten, that'll be a big help.

Like the title of this thread says, we want more info on armor coating. We need more information from 343. It's much better to spend a little bit of time now fixing something, rather than wait later and have an even bigger disaster (think of MCC when it first came out).
I really want Infinite to be a good Halo game. I genuinely do. But man, this armor coating controversy has really been messing up the community. I'm not completely certain, but I can assume that Microsoft is pushing 343 to make this decision so they can earn more profit in the console war against Sony. In one of their latest blog posts, they said they didn't make the decision lightly. I'm not sure I feel that was sincere.

Here's the thing people: we can vote with our wallets. The less people buy Infinite, (hopefully) the more likely they will actually have a heart-to-heart with the community and implement more positive changes into the game. That's why I'm leaning against not pre-ordering a Halo game for the very first time ever. Obviously each Halo game will have their strengths and weaknesses, we can't expect perfection. It's cool they have Joe Staten, that'll be a big help.

Like the title of this thread says, we want more info on armor coating. We need more information from 343. It's much better to spend a little bit of time now fixing something, rather than wait later and have an even bigger disaster (think of MCC when it first came out).
I honestly find it hilarious that this thread has gone on as long as it has. Granted, I'm not helping by bumping the thread, but this thing has literally been active for months. Completely ridiculous.
I can agree that this community is hungry for information on the new game. Hopefully we get a new blog here soon on Infinite's progress and more details on different parts of the game, like Theater and Forge, MP, and Campaign + DLC format. I mostly expect a blog on MP features here on out until the game is about to come out with maybe some Forge news though.
It wouldn't have gone on this long if removing a layer of player customization/personalization wasn't such a bad idea. Especially since there were other outlets that 343 could have chosen for microtransaction/monthly opportunities to serve creative means with effective financial gain. Every other critique of Halo: Infinite is subject to opinion (graphics, gameplay elements, etc.) where Coatings are almost completely universally hated (especially reflecting on other games with parallel systems in success or failure, such as the Destiny titles or Doom 2016).
Nefnoj wrote:
It wouldn't have gone on this long if removing a layer of player customization/personalization wasn't such a bad idea. Especially since there were other outlets that 343 could have chosen for microtransaction/monthly opportunities to serve creative means with effective financial gain. Every other critique of Halo: Infinite is subject to opinion (graphics, gameplay elements, etc.) where Coatings are almost completely universally hated (especially reflecting on other games with parallel systems in success or failure, such as the Destiny titles or Doom 2016).
You make a good point and a bad point.

Removing a layer of customisation we've always had is a bad idea imo, and I agree it's carried on because it's a terrible idea, good point, I see no reason for them to do so, except money.

Yor bad point. Stating coatings are universally hated. I don't think they are, and some that I have seen look really good. The problem is that I don't like certain colours. If they allowed us to choose our colours and shade them the way we want to, I would back them, but I won't. It looks like they're going to monetise a basic feature we've always had, they knew this cause an uproar, that's why we got the PR "it was a difficult decision" This seems to a blatant, deliberate and well calculated cash grab, and I'll never support it.
There wouldnt be a single problem if 343 would just come out and say that you can choose every color on the coating.
A lot of people don't seem to realize the implications of armor coatings and what it could escalate into. But to be honest its always like that. Microtransactions start slow and evolve into something predatory because gaming communities are naïve. I'm not sure if I'm more angry at Microsoft for pushing those practices or at all these players who keep downplaying the issue and purchasing microtransactions. Many fans realize the dangerous precedent that armor coatings is setting, many look at the promotional codes on cookies and monster cans and realize that Halo is slowly going to -Yoink-. But many others will continue to pretend its not a big deal, just like they did with Halo 5 and requisitions. If Halo becomes a monetization fest, players will be just as responsible as Microsoft for allowing it to happen. If 10 years ago, someone would have told me that Bungie is going to monetize armor colors, I would have laughed at their face. But now the joke is becoming reality.... Yeah.... that's how low the gaming industry has gotten... and perhaps the gaming community as well.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 38
  4. 39
  5. 40
  6. ...
  7. 41